Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I feel like poop. I started scooping my lands (like just began making the motion) when I realized I had an out. I didn't declare anything but the opposing player didn't like the idea of continuing. After a few minutes if back and forth we did continue. I won the following turn. The person was obviously upset and since they had a ultimately agreed to continue the game (though v. begrudgingly) I said we should count the game as a draw. I won the second game and was favorite to win the third after time was called.

I don't really care about the tie in the end, but I felt bad about the whole argument. I just didn't feel like I was in wrong though I could understand my opponent's anger.

I need to really learn to take a second to think a second before making important decisions on impulse - it's bit me in the rear end many times before - even if in this case I caught me tongue.

Call a judge and explain the situation next time you dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I initially ran Purph in my MarduKing deck, but he ended up either being too slow or win more (Tymaret/Bloodsoaked Champion recursion is a beating). He got replaced with Stoke and Chandra.

Got a deck list for this? Sounds like fun!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

A big flaming stink posted:

Call a judge and explain the situation next time you dummy

That's what I suggested (twice), but the reaction was that the judge wouldn't have seen it. At the end they agreed to call a judge but we moved on as they ultimately just decided to move on. I didn't want to make a big fuss, and the other person though obstinate wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat about it. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We drafted FRF-FRF-KTK instead of doing a repeat of the pre-release.

I drafted rareless Jeskai (oops!), but managed to go 3-0 anyway. The guy I beat in the finals had Monastery Mentor and Soulfire Grand Master in a Mardu deck, but not enough spells to back them up.

Here's my deck:

Aven Surveyor
2x Dragon Bell Monk
Elite Scaleguard
Hewed Stone Retainers
Jeskai Elder
2x Jeskai Sage
War-Name Aspirant

Cloudform
Defiant Strike
Enhanced Awareness
Feat of Resistance
Lightform
Pressure Point
Pyrotechnics
Reality Shift
2x Refocus
Sandblast
Soul Summons
Valorous Stance
War Flare

Mystic Monastery
Swiftwater Cliffs
Tranquil Cove
Wind-Scarred Crag
1x Mountain
6x Island
6x Plains

Probably shouldn't have been playing the War-Name Aspirant, but I was never punished for it, so that was good. Elite Scaleguard worked really well with Feat of Resistance, the Aven, and the Aspirant (obviously).

I wish I had had 2x Pressure Point instead of 2x Refocus, but what can you do?

In game 3 of the finals I cast Cloudform over Lightform on Turn 3 because my opponent had at least one Debilitating Injury. Next turn he dropped a Merciless Executioner. :(

Pretty fun, though I think FRF-KTK-KTK will be better. More chances of Manifesting a sweet morph (the only creature I manifested was my Elite Scaleguard, twice). Midway through our second pack someone at the table said, "These are all the same cards over and over!"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

We so did FFK, although in opposite order just to make it extra wrong. I agree, morphs were sorely missed. Getting a decent curve seemed harder than even in a normal morphless set.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hitting a creature with an ETB ability on a Manifest is irrationally annoying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

Hitting a creature with an ETB ability on a Manifest is irrationally annoying.

Who doesn't love a morph that unmorphs into a 2/3 for 5?

(Rites of Undoing was most useful in rectifying this poo poo and binning runemarks. Boy, do people seem to like runemarks).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Who doesn't love a morph that unmorphs into a 2/3 for 5?

(Rites of Undoing was most useful in rectifying this poo poo and binning runemarks. Boy, do people seem to like runemarks).

I was spoilled in the prerelease because both my pools had 2 Temur Sabertooths so I was used to being able to bounce my manifests, but tonight I drafted WB splashing R and nope, Hitting Sandsteppe Outcast or Pyrotechnics on a Manifest trigger from Sultai Emissary is the worst feeling.

I love how much people love runemarks as long as they keep passing me Reach of Shadows and Valorous Stance.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I did get to eat another manifested creature with my surprise 2/3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rules question that came up: can I douse in gloom a manifest from fierce invocation before the counters are added. The organizers (judges??) went back and forth on it for 5 minues (the game went on as if it wasn't possible) before saying that didn't work.

It reads as if the effects are sequential to me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Rules question that came up: can I douse in gloom a manifest from fierce invocation before the counters are added. The organizers (judges??) went back and forth on it for 5 minues (the game went on as if it wasn't possible) before saying that didn't work.

The effects are sequential, but they both happen as part of the resolution of the spell. You can't interrupt a spell in the middle of it resolving. You can respond to the spell and do something before it resolves, or you can do something after it's done resolving, but once a spell starts resolving it does all the things it says it does in the card, in order, without anyone getting priority until it's all done resolving.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Rinkles posted:

What? Yes, it's sequential but it's part of resolving the spell. You can't do anything in between the "counter target spell" and the "draw a card" part of Dismiss, why is this any different?
E:f,b

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Rinkles posted:

No you can't, because you have to finish resolving Fierce Invocation before you get priority again to do anything (like douse in gloom)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cool, good to know.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

First FRF Standard and I manage to take Top 4 Split without playing a single Fate Reforged Card.

Turns out that when you're on the path to ruin with an Ashiok on the board at 5 loyalty, and you have a Sarkhan Emblem on your side, Double Stormbreath kill Ashiok with an elf courser and satyr token is really good when the control player is on topdeck and 4 cards left in your deck makes for a really good second match.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Went 5-0 at FNM, beating two new players but also beating some skilled Abzan Midrange, UW Heroic, and UB Control players. Pulled a Wooded Foothills, Mardu dragon legend, and Grandmaster.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself, y'all. :shobon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

Went 5-0 at FNM, beating two new players but also beating some skilled Abzan Midrange, UW Heroic, and UB Control players. Pulled a Wooded Foothills, Mardu dragon legend, and Grandmaster.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself, y'all. :shobon:

Excuse me where the gently caress is Tymaret?

Also good job.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
While we drafted FKK like proper gentlemen at my FNM I cannot actually comment on how it is as a format yet because I drafted bant ramp into Ugin (with friends sagu mauler and clever impersonator) which has no relationship to drafting in an actual format.

I had a lot of fun with it though :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

In the trash can where it belongs

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well, I'd say this box was pretty good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Point and match

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 4-1 with mono black aggro that had no new cards in it. Got enough store credit to buy into a draft a few of us decided to do. Guy to my right opened a pack with Ugin and wooded foothills in the land slot, which got passed to me. Free draft into a foothills and more credit, pretty good night!

Also Dromoka is a crazy bomb in draft. I splashed one plains for him and had some search fixing, and it was worth it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All the <=6 mana rare dragons are crazy bombs in draft, and the even the 7 mana ones are good in sealed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Also good job.

I really like DJ Swearinger. :ohdear:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Block your attack with Tymaret, in response I sacrifice it to bring my other Tymaret back. Prepare to take two damage from Purphoros on my turn. :smug:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bhsman posted:

I really like DJ Swearinger. :ohdear:

Block your attack with Tymaret, in response I sacrifice it to bring my other Tymaret back. Prepare to take two damage from Purphoros on my turn. :smug:

Ok, so you take 4 damage from the Siege Rhino you blocked and now they're casting Wingmate Roc...

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Tonight, a really painful round against Standard Robots at FNM is going to make me finally retire G/B Constellations. "I untap Daring Thief, exchanging control of your Doomwake Giant for my Ensoul Artifact. Which is still attached to my Darksteel Citadel." "Here, have a Springleaf Drum, I think I'll take that Whip of Erebos." "Nice Courser, here have a Heliod's Pilgrim." :suicide: They didn't even play particularly well, mostly on account of not understanding how Convoke works (yes it can make colored mana). I have no idea what I'm going to play instead, but Mardu Scout is tempting me to try a devotion shell tacked onto Sub-Sligh. That or I'll finally finish building Gruul Chord.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Went 5-0 at FNM tonight and won a 2nd box of FRF, playing my Abzan Aggro list with the changes I posted about earlier. Played against Mono-R Aggro, 2 Abzan Midrange decks, 1 Sultai Whip, and 1 U/B Control.

Overall, I feel like Valorous Stance over-performed, and I'm thinking about going up to 3 mainboard. I won every game I drew it. Brutal Hordechief was very solid and I did get to live the dream once against Sultai Whip. I had Hordechief in play, my opponent drew a card, made a grand sigh of relief, played land + Hornet Queen. Then I pointed out to him he was dead next turn via Hordechief's ability.

Also FYI, Tasigur is the real deal, and very scary to play against. Torrent Elemental not as much.

Oh, and I didn't play against him, but someone at FNM played Soulflayer/Chromanticore combo, and I saw him pull it off, and it was glorious.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Ok, so you take 4 damage from the Siege Rhino you blocked and now they're casting Wingmate Roc...

I never played it post-rotation, so I never had to deal with it. :smuggo:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Man, Tiny Leaders is starting to pick up at the local scene, and I'm deciding what to build. Two of my friends have made Doran Buttfights and Jeskai "Basically Legacy UWR Control", respectively. I've brewed up a Geist Voltron deck, but I'm afraid it might be just too disgusting, even if I'm playing against really experienced semi-pros. :ohdear:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

First Bass posted:

Man, Tiny Leaders is starting to pick up at the local scene, and I'm deciding what to build. Two of my friends have made Doran Buttfights and Jeskai "Basically Legacy UWR Control", respectively. I've brewed up a Geist Voltron deck, but I'm afraid it might be just too disgusting, even if I'm playing against really experienced semi-pros. :ohdear:
Tiny leaders sounded kind of stupid to me, but after giving it a go I've found out that it's really really fun. It might still have some issues (geist and ezuri might be too strong, IoK, abrupt decay, liliana, etc) but I imagine it will get even better over time. Right now I have a Thassa merfolk tribal deck which is surprisingly powerful and a lot of fun. I also have a Nin, the Pain Artist deck which features a lot of boardwipes, lightning bolts, sweepers, walls (for drawing with Nin) and counterspells with just a couple of finishers.

I saw a guy playing basically a legacy jund loam deck and it was very powerful. Clique is awesome as a commander too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

That's what I suggested (twice), but the reaction was that the judge wouldn't have seen it. At the end they agreed to call a judge but we moved on as they ultimately just decided to move on. I didn't want to make a big fuss, and the other person though obstinate wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat about it. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

No one will ever be happy when someone goes I consce....oh wait no I'm playing. Don't feel too bad you weren't wrong. You'd feel worse if you scooped then realized you had it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So SCG is running GP London, looking forward to it. And BBD can't win with what looks like a lovely deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

So SCG is running GP London, looking forward to it. And BBD can't win with what looks like a lovely deck.

Cedric's story about the first time he went to London is pretty hilarious.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
So what's the consensus on Monastery Mentor? I pulled one yesterday and was thinking of trading it for an Ugin.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

3-0'd a draft with a terrible Abzan deck. I switched from Jeskai to Abzan midway through pack 2 and missed out on two Abzan Guides, but I walloped the dude who got them round 1. 15 dudes, 2 savage punch, 2 rite of the serpent, 1 smite the monstrous, 1 douse in gloom, 1 debilitating injury. I only had one counter lord, Mer-ek Nightblade, but two disowned ancestor and two savage punch made him the best one. I had a dragon scale general I drew once all night, and a hooded hydra I drew once all night, but my two Soul Summons were all-stars, as was Sibsig Muckdraggers. I never got to live the dream of Manifesting Hydra though :(

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Henron posted:

So what's the consensus on Monastery Mentor? I pulled one yesterday and was thinking of trading it for an Ugin.

There is no denying it is a powerful card, but there are an absolute ton of very very good jeskai 3 drops (Mantis Rider, Jeskai Ascendancy, Hordeling Outburst, Goblin Rabblemaster, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, I can go on...) and there is a deck needed to be built around him. Until that is found out, I doubt it will be played much or very well, since just jamming him into existing jeskai decks doesn't seem like a good plan.

TL;DR- Powerful card, overpriced right now, if you need a ugin, trade for a ugin. Purely build around card.

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009

Bonus posted:

Tiny leaders sounded kind of stupid to me, but after giving it a go I've found out that it's really really fun. It might still have some issues (geist and ezuri might be too strong, IoK, abrupt decay, liliana, etc) but I imagine it will get even better over time. Right now I have a Thassa merfolk tribal deck which is surprisingly powerful and a lot of fun. I also have a Nin, the Pain Artist deck which features a lot of boardwipes, lightning bolts, sweepers, walls (for drawing with Nin) and counterspells with just a couple of finishers.

I saw a guy playing basically a legacy jund loam deck and it was very powerful. Clique is awesome as a commander too.

I've read they're recently considering banning Geist, but I feel like there's enough counters that he can be dealt with, and he's only a 2/2 so he can be profitably blocked and destroyed, setting your opponent back a turn.

Personally I threw together a 'Vorel, of the Hull Clade' deck and filled it with counterspells, ramp and hydras like Protean, Mistcutter & Primordial. The rest of the creature base is quality evolve mechanic ones like Elusive Krasis, Renegade Krasis, Gyre Sage and Cloudfin Raptor (Raptor being pretty amazing if you suddenly Bioshift 5 or 6 1/1 counters onto him.) I'm hoping it's viable, I figured it's the best thing I can throw together with only the collection I've got. I want a Vastwood Hydra and Genesis Hydra, but a Feral Hydra could do too, despite the "any player" clause not really meaning jack in 1v1.

Far as regular EDH, I run Talrand, Mayael and Phelddagriff. My hippo's a janky pillowfort/exalted deck that's actually pretty fun.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I managed to win a draft game because my opponent used Aven surveyor to bounce my manifested Rush of Battle instead of one of my 2/2 Zombie tokens. it was great.

Manifest has been really, really bad for me. I like playing good instants and sorceries and creatures with good ETB effects, and Delve creature. Last night I had Soul Summons, and the least horrible thing I hit was Abzan Battle-Priest. I also hit Harsh Sustenance, Rush of Battle, Sibsig Muckdraggers, and Mardu Hordechief. gently caress you Manifest.

The best thing I've gotten to do with Manifest was attack with Yasova, get her Whisked Away, and then play Cloudform.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 24, 2015

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Going to a sealed 2HG event today. Any specific Fate Reforged tips for this format?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lord Jigger posted:

Going to a sealed 2HG event today. Any specific Fate Reforged tips for this format?
Sieges own. Remember that the black deck will usually make you both pitch 2 over the course of the game. Parapet does 2.

Also as you're considering the aggro deck, imagine the other team starts at forty. Because seriously, they usually do.

• Locked thread