Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

haljordan posted:

His mother that he loves, and also forced to shovel the driveway in the wintertime because he was too hosed up on heroin to get out of bed.

Who then had to drive to the drugstore in a snowstorm to pick up his meds. But she had to call him on her cell every two minutes to make sure he picked up and wasn't stabbing himself.

And while this was happening, Artie's dealer was leaving a stash in the back yard.

edit: no really. read the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

AxeManiac posted:

Was he combative? Howard's father loves the hell out of Seinfeld, so Howard probably wanted to show him up. Has Howard watched his show yet or is he still pulling the "I don't watch shows" bit?

Howard wasn't combative and he didn't say one way or the other if he watched the show(s). It was awkward because Howard kept talking about Curb in the present tense when the show ended over three years ago.

Also Howard would ask a question and before Larry could answer Robin would interject with the exact same question but worded slightly differently. It got super annoying.

edit: Artie sounds like a whiny douche in that clip.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sooorry you didn't like the JOKE I made at your exPENSE.

I'm sure dying billionaire and television comedy legend Sam Simon will be spending most of his last days worried that Artie doesn't like him any more.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I thought Howard used to talk about how much he loved Seinfeld and how he had every episode on tape, etc. Or was that all bullshit?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

haljordan posted:

I thought Howard used to talk about how much he loved Seinfeld and how he had every episode on tape, etc. Or was that all bullshit?

That was his dad. For a long time Howard claimed to never watch Seinfeld, probably because Jerry was a dick to the show, which caused a long-running feud. Once the feud was finally over, Howard admitted to watching the show occasionally.

He still maintains that he has never seen the Simpsons, and unlike Seinfeld I actually believe that one.

Howard doesn't like TV comedies, he likes lovely "relationship dramas", be it soap operas (Melrose Place) or reality TV (the Bachelor).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Howard doesn't like TV comedies, he likes lovely "relationship dramas", be it soap operas (Melrose Place) or reality TV (the Bachelor).

I could be remembering wrong, but I've always gotten the impression that he doesn't like any comedy that was created after he started as a professional comedy-maker. The big exception that springs to mind is "Larry Sanders", but I think Howard is so competitive that the thought of complimenting another comedy would diminish him.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

a cop posted:

Artie specifically addressed that point. It wasn't just a guy poking fun, that's fine, it was this weird overly-intricate long running joke that no one was laughing at that seemed specifically orchestrated to destroy a friendship.

What I don't understand is why Sam, a billionaire (or close enough), was trying to shop the script around to raise money to produce it. He can't foot that bill himself?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

What I don't understand is why Sam, a billionaire (or close enough), was trying to shop the script around to raise money to produce it. He can't foot that bill himself?

I think the general rule is you never self fund anything. But I'm also a poor web developer from Detroit so what I do I know?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, that's one part that would make me call bullshit on Sam's story if I were Artie (and this is all true). Sam doesn't need to be trying to secure funding for a short film or whatever. But the whole story is kind of fishy without hearing Sam's side of it and/or seeing the script itself.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Rich people stay rich because they don't put their own money on the line.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I do not understand Sam Simon's relationship with Ralph. Is it similar to the relationship between Queen Latifah and her personal trainer/roommate?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Sand Monster posted:

Well, if what Artie is saying is true/not exaggerated, it sounds like it's not even a legitimate script, it was just Sam loving with him. It's the entire crux of why it pissed Artie off, because it's not real, not because Artie felt he was the wrong guy for the part or something. The funding part is irrelevant (again, if any of this is true/accurate.)

Also, I'm pretty used to gravel-voiced Artie, but holy poo poo, he sounds even worse now. Parts of that clip sounded like he was talking through a cancer patient's voice box.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 22, 2015

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Cromulent posted:

Well, if what Artie is saying is true/not exaggerated, it sounds like it's not even a legitimate script, it was just Sam loving with him. It's the entire crux of why it pissed Artie off, because it's not real, not because Artie felt he was the wrong guy for the part or something. The funding part is irrelevant (again, if any of this is true/accurate.)

That makes sense. I guess I was interpreting it that Sam was treating it like a legitimate script and that he really was hoping to get it made.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
You guys trusting Artie again?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Odddzy posted:

You guys trusting Artie again?

Never trust a junkie.

But on that note, I've been listening to his new podcast, and though it's an unstructured mess, I'm starting to warm up to it.

So far there hasn't been any lovely bands, dumb commercials, or boring sports guests that plagued the radio show. It's mostly just depressed comics telling stories.

For example, the epsiode I'm currently listening to basically boiled down to Artie and Kamal from the Jerky Boys throwing fat jokes at each other for about an hour while occasionally taking a break to point out how poor Bob Levy is.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 22, 2015

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

Same reason Zach Braff went begging on Kickstarter to fund his latest piece of poo poo project.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

He wasn't shopping the script around. It was just a big gently caress you to Artie.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
QUIT STEALING MY MONEY, TEDDIE MAKING FUN OF ME, SAM!

Not sure if I automatically trust Artie's perspective on perceived slights with the way he loses his poo poo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I still find it super hilarious that Artie found the one guy more incompetent than him and hired him as his assistant. Although didn't he go through a few of them who quit/got fired because they refused to go cop his drugs?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
yup, basically, i've got zero trust in Arties side of the story. Even if it was a joke, we've only got one guys word on how harsh it was and he's the biggest exaggerator.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

YeahTubaMike posted:

I do not understand Sam Simon's relationship with Ralph. Is it similar to the relationship between Queen Latifah and her personal trainer/roommate?

No, the personal trainer has a skill and use.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I kinda liked geek time.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Vakal posted:

Never trust a junkie.

But on that note, I've been listening to his new podcast, and though it's an unstructured mess, I'm starting to warm up to it.

So far there hasn't been any lovely bands, dumb commercials, or boring sports guests that plagued the radio show. It's mostly just depressed comics telling stories.

For example, the epsiode I'm currently listening to basically boiled down to Artie and Kamal from the Jerky Boys throwing fat jokes at each other for about an hour while occasionally taking a break to point out how poor Bob Levy is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsBvZRXF7A&t=17s

Artie lies, Artie always lies.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
"SHUT UP, FAT JUNKIE!"

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Finndo posted:

I kinda liked geek time.

Me too, if only for the fact they were generally clueless about everything.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Bonzo posted:

So Artie had a cameo in a SNL digital short that was cut from last week's show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWMlr11pJow

I wonder if that's a non alcoholic beer he's holding.

Man SNL is just NOT funny. I know this was cut but I can't even imagine why would they would record it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

fuzzi posted:

Man SNL is just NOT funny. I know this was cut but I can't even imagine why would they would record it.

Its honestly better than most of the stuff that makes the cut nowadays.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Irish Joe posted:

Its honestly better than most of the stuff that makes the cut nowadays.

Yeah, Woody Harrelson's "Apples, Apples" skit was abysmal. With the one posted here, while it doesn't really have a good punchline (most skits don't), I appreciate Kyle's acting.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Watched the "It's Always Sunny" episode JD worked on tonight. Poor JD didn't even get a credit or cameo. What the hell is that poor bastard going to do once Howard goes off the air? He's the one I fear for the most once the show goes away.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

an adult beverage posted:

Watched the "It's Always Sunny" episode JD worked on tonight. Poor JD didn't even get a credit or cameo. What the hell is that poor bastard going to do once Howard goes off the air? He's the one I fear for the most once the show goes away.

I could see Jimmy Kimmel taking mercy and giving him something. That or he would be perfect getting clips for The Soup on E!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

fuzzi posted:

I hate when jokes are "The joke isn't funny" because you just sit through a bunch of unfunny stuff like "Yeah, I get it, it isn't good, he is bad, but also this is bad just watching it".

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

SNL also seems like a very toxic place to work where everyone is only looking out for themselves. It's probably why you get the same crappy sketches over and over. I think they also have a policy of not having blatant punchlines in their sketches so most sketches don't really end on a high note.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

an adult beverage posted:

The overwhelming majority of the back office will be fine, I don't think a show hobbling around on one gimpy leg for 16 hours a month is propping them up from being hobos. Richard will be fine, Gary will be fine, Fred if he chose to work more(doubt it), Will, Jason, JD, Jon Hein, etc.

The two people I think the show is helping the most are Sal and Benjy. Benjy is a true fuckup and has no ability to hack it in the outside world as the show has been his entire adult life. He might find a writing gig or two but that will trickle away and he's just going to be some sad loser like Stuttering John doing wacky schtick for his own Youtube channel with 2200 subs. Sal is a problem because he loves this job and it probably keeps him from murder/suicide. He does seem to have genuine love for his boys, though, so that will probably keep him from hacking up Christine with an axe then sticking his head in a pizzeria oven.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Part of it depends on how much they're making on the Stern show. I would imagine that people like Will and Jason aren't making a fortune, so they should be able to get a job that pays them roughly the same. Gary is WAY overpaid, and I hope he's investing his money now because nobody is going to hire him to do what he's doing. I too worry about JD, just because he's such a fumfering buffoon that only survives because Howard takes pity on him. Sal and Richard are the ones I'm the most curious about. You can tell they're trying to put feelers out with poo poo like their cooking show...I think they'll do okay. Not great, but okay. Especially if they stick together...Richard's niceness/naivety is a good counterweight to Sal's terrible personality.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They also don't have to take jobs living in an overpriced city. They could move somewhere with a more reasonable cost of living, find a job that pays roughly the same(radio pays for poo poo, always has and always will unless you're talent) and live twice as well.

I don't get the JD stuff but I guess that's just me. Everyone there has done nothing but praise his work ethic from day 1. Every workplace on the planet has awkward people, that has never mattered as long as your work is fine. The kid's a worker bee, just set him on task and he'll be fine.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think the only answer here is Jimmy Kimmel hires them all after Howard retires.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

I think the only answer here is Jimmy Kimmel hires them all after Howard retires.

If Sal and Richard end up on Kimmel, it would absolutely cement his show as being my favourite.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Richard Christy is also legitimately one of the best drummers in the world (not that I know how to judge it, but I think it is considered true). He is about the only person there who has a real talent outside of patching two chinese restaurants together to take an order or seeing if anyone wants some free jungle bunnies from the pet store.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

Richard Christy is also legitimately one of the best drummers in the world (not that I know how to judge it, but I think it is considered true).

No, he is a really good heavy metal drummer. It might not pay as much as working with Howard, but he could always go back to touring and I think he'd still be happy as a clam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I would buy a Charred Walls of the Damned album to support him.