Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would buy a Charred Walls of the Damned album to support him.

He already made one and nobody bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
He was in one of the most influential Death-Metal bands ever. Still a very small genre but not anything to scoff at. he hasn't played as seriously for a long time though so I don't know if he has the chops required to be a session musician right now.

Edit : poo poo, he could just move to a small town and become a music teacher, he could make a reasonable and quite interesting amount of money with that kinda gig.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Odddzy posted:

Edit : poo poo, he could just move to a small town and become a music teacher, he could make a reasonable and quite interesting amount of money with that kinda gig.

I think he would be hard to take serious as a teacher if your familiar with his Stern stuff, I'd only hire him if he would teach me how to play KC's Gay Photograph and Release Robin's Bra

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I think he would be hard to take serious as a teacher if your familiar with his Stern stuff, I'd only hire him if he would teach me how to play KC's Gay Photograph and Release Robin's Bra

There's is a never ending supply of young metalheads that want to learn a few megadeath songs to impress their friends!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You put up with years of bad SNL hoping for a good cast gell/run.

Yeah there's lots of poo poo but then there is the Phil Hartman et al peak.

And then another peak I think with Will Ferrell et al.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
"Little Billy, this is the snare drum...its my favoriteeeeeeee"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Richard is a well respected drummer in the Metal community. I remember years ago Howard 100 news did a story were some woman paid for Richard to fly out and attended her husbands birthday party. He had no idea what the Stern show was and that Richard was involved with it, he just wanted to hang out and jam with a musician he really liked.

The genre of metal he plays isn't widely popular but the fan base is loyal and dedicated. And yes, as much as it sounds like Spinal Tap, he could easily just go to Japan and make a very comfortable living as a metal drummer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I would buy a Charred Walls of the Damned album to support him.

I bought his last one off iTunes so he'd get a couple of bucks from me.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Richard could lose half of his chops and still be an amazing drummer. He's been playing for most of his life so I think it just takes him a couple of weeks to brush up to be tight for shows and recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSm_dp1Wt8

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Yeah Richard is very loving good, as in can hang with some of the best. Mike Piazza is a huge metal fan and knew who Richard was when they crossed paths at Sirius. He apparently geeked out really hard too, and knew nothing about him via Stern stuff.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really into that style of music, but his double-bass is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Hx-Jd3sEM

I love the comments on that video:
Man, Ethal is a great drummer!!
She's my faaavorite
This is my faaaaavorite.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I love metal and Metal Sucks just had a 25 Best Metal Bands of All Time feature and Richard was one of the judges, so he's still influential in the community - http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/10/13/25-best-metal-bands/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have played drums for over 25 years. That foot technique is some hard poo poo to learn and keep consistent.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I wonder if he had to adjust his drumming the more in shape he got. Wouldn't it throw off his timing? He's pretty ripped there. No wonder why Howard hates him, he looks great, enjoys consuming things and isn't crying all the time about his baked potato or whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

He certainly isn't... Rusty. :smug:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

AxeManiac posted:

I wonder if he had to adjust his drumming the more in shape he got. Wouldn't it throw off his timing? He's pretty ripped there. No wonder why Howard hates him, he looks great, enjoys consuming things and isn't crying all the time about his baked potato or whatever.

Yeah you can tell that Howard is jealous because he always rips on Richard for daring to enjoy stuff like horror movies and whatnot.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

How Much Art posted:

Yeah Richard is very loving good, as in can hang with some of the best. Mike Piazza is a huge metal fan and knew who Richard was when they crossed paths at Sirius. He apparently geeked out really hard too, and knew nothing about him via Stern stuff.

I remember that. All the other guys on the show were trying to hide how disgusted they were Piazza went nuts over Richard Christy and was basically like "Oh, you're Gary the producer...well that is cool I guess....HOLY poo poo RICHARD loving CHRISTY" Gary was so butthurt over it. I wish I knew where to find the clip.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 25, 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Nah its pretty much like riding a bike. He might just have more stamina now and may have more power in his non dominant arm and leg

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Bonzo posted:

I have played drums for over 25 years. That foot technique is some hard poo poo to learn and keep consistent.
I remember Richard saying that he did non-drumming exercises just to build up the muscles in his legs. Something like lifting blocks with his legs while sitting? But yeah, it's not just strength, keeping that crazy poo poo in time is hard.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sasquatch! posted:

I remember Richard saying that he did non-drumming exercises just to build up the muscles in his legs. Something like lifting blocks with his legs while sitting? But yeah, it's not just strength, keeping that crazy poo poo in time is hard.

Certain types of yoga also help with this. Drumming like that can really wear down your body over time and if you don't do any other kind of exercise, you'll regret it. I didn't play the type of metal he does but after 15 years I started to develop carpal tunnel syndrome and had to add some warm up exercises to my routine before playing a show. Another guy I know pulled his groin muscle, during a jazz show of all things.

Singers are the same way. They have to learn ways to care for their voice or you end up like Bon Jovi who blew out his voice in the middle of the Slippery When Wet tour and never could hit those high notes again.

Anyway, the technique Richard is using is similar to how John Bonham made the double bass sound with only one pedal. You kinda bounce your foot up the pedal a twice while only moving your leg up and down once. Richard (and a few others) can bounce 3 or 4 times and with both feet. Playing 32nd note triplets on the bass drums isn't just something anyone can do

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Certain types of yoga also help with this. Drumming like that can really wear down your body over time and if you don't do any other kind of exercise, you'll regret it. I didn't play the type of metal he does but after 15 years I started to develop carpal tunnel syndrome and had to add some warm up exercises to my routine before playing a show. Another guy I know pulled his groin muscle, during a jazz show of all things.

Singers are the same way. They have to learn ways to care for their voice or you end up like Bon Jovi who blew out his voice in the middle of the Slippery When Wet tour and never could hit those high notes again.

Anyway, the technique Richard is using is similar to how John Bonham made the double bass sound with only one pedal. You kinda bounce your foot up the pedal a twice while only moving your leg up and down once. Richard (and a few others) can bounce 3 or 4 times and with both feet. Playing 32nd note triplets on the bass drums isn't just something anyone can do

Oh wow. So if I understand, he might use his heel or middle of the foot, then the ball of his foot or toes in one movement? Causing the bass pedal to go BAH-duh instead of just BAH (if that makes sense)?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Yeah. Look up floating bass drum technique or double stroking

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

My grandson Rusty just learned how to double stroke...

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I love that in 99% of the Ethel phony phone calls whoever is being pranked never thinks Ethel is a woman. They always say "sir" and use male pronouns. Richard almost never pulls off making people think Ethel is a woman but he continues to do it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Former Human posted:

he keeps pumping off the intro to "Hot for Teacher"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ribsauce posted:

I remember that. All the other guys on the show were trying to hide how disgusted they were Piazza went nuts over Richard Christy and was basically like "Oh, you're Gary the producer...well that is cool I guess....HOLY poo poo RICHARD loving CHRISTY" Gary was so butthurt over it. I wish I knew where to find the clip.

That was glorious. :allears:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

prefect posted:

That was glorious. :allears:

Oh, does someone have this? I love it when Richard gets some love.

And a quick look on Amazon shows that both Charred Walls of the Damned albums are available for nothing if you have Prime. You can also buy them!

Charred Walls of the Damned CD/DVD

Cold Winds on Timeless Days

That said, I can see Richard being in demand as a drummer. He won't fade like Sal will.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh man, listening to Sal's aplogy tape for what must be the 8th time.

This is true radio gold.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

This is true radio gold.

I like when they play the full apology for the first time and they get as far as "Hi, this is Sal Governale..." before everyone erupts in laughter and Artie goes "It's funny already."

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
I listened to the entire first show on Sirius on a whim, but only listened sporadically and mostly to replays until Sal's apology happened. I had been awake all night and could not pull myself away from the radio when poo poo started popping off.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This is true radio gold.

He was unable to stop digging himself in deeper. They told him he had to apologize to Robin. She said "what are you apologizing for?" and he immediately replied "I don't know; because you're black". :cripes:

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Hello! Yoo-Hoo! We live in America.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Packer does it again. Nearly ten hours of the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon. Good thing we're still recovering from snow - time to listen!

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Bonzo posted:

Nah its pretty much like riding a bike. He might just have more stamina now and may have more power in his non dominant arm and leg

Yeah I have been drumming for about 10 years and the only way I got faster playing double bass is just practicing it as much as hand technique which a lot of people don't do. A lot of the old school death metal guys use ankle weights while practicing to build calf/shin muscles ie. Gene Hoglan. It really does help. Pretty sad that no one on the show really understands that he played on the last album of one of the most influential bands of genre.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Former Human posted:

See…What I define as love, for me…is butt loving a squirrel in central park.

shut, shutoff the telephone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

To Battle posted:

See…What I define as love, for me…is butt loving a squirrel in central park.

shut, shutoff the telephone.

Is this... Is this how you get your jollies? Hmm? This isn't love.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

hahaha that may be my favorite prank of all time because Artie laughs for like a good 10 minutes.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWeG5Pn_SFM

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Haha Sal, I'm an African American Male my names Lamar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Here's a whole playlist of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDLytBk9DcQ&list=RDhDLytBk9DcQ