Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Would be a lot more convincing if prophecies didn't keep coming true. The characters always gently caress up interpreting prophecies, in keeping with Greek tragedy, but we readers have access to more information than they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
It would be legitimately surprising if Martin just swerves and there is no Azor Ahai. Just gotta beat back the Others with good old fashioned Valyrian steel/ obsidian, at great cost to humanity.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Huh apparently Sophie Turner is going to be Jean Grey in the new X-Men movie. That'll take a bit of getting used to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

In It For The Tank posted:

Would be a lot more convincing if prophecies didn't keep coming true. The characters always gently caress up interpreting prophecies, in keeping with Greek tragedy, but we readers have access to more information than they do.

That's true, but somehow characters still keep ending up prick-less.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
One cool thing that GRRM is doing (at least I think he is doing this intentionally) is exploiting the inaccuracy of historical record-keeping to make the true history of his world really opaque. For example, we think that we have a pretty good grasp of what happened with the war with the Others, the founding of the Nights Watch, and purpose of The Wall. We think this because we have been told the commonly accepted history of what happened according to the Maesters and the Northmen. But what about history according to Essos? Or from lands even farther East? Did they not experience the Long Night/War for the Dawn (the fact that there are two different names for what was probably the same event is our first hint that there are several interpretations)? If they did experience these events, what are THEIR legends?

Well it turns out GRRM actually includes some of these conflicting tales. "The Prince that was Promised" vs. "Azor Ahai"...are these the same prophecy with different names? Are they different prophecies both referring to same past historical event? How about the specifics of the War for Dawn...How was it won? What is the difference between the hero and his seven companions and Azor Ahai? Are they the same person, are they the Night King? GRRM gives us hints towards history not being completely true to the tale we've been told when Sam is searching the library at The Wall. He is finding all kinds of old scrolls that conflict with the Maester's accounts, but he abandons this project when The Lord Commander recruits him for the march north, and never gets a chance to start it up again.

One thing the new book makes kind of clear is that something bad happened at some point in the past (8000 years ago? 1000?) that screwed up the world's climate and may have left Asshai a semi-nuclear wasteland. Did a moon really fall from the sky? Did some magic go haywire? I think that some of these things might get answered near the end, but I have no idea.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Quite a lot of characters seem to be able candidates for Azor Ahai: Davos, Stannis, Dondarrion before he died, Cat, Jaime, Brienne, the entire Night's Watch, even Wyman Manderly and a bunch of others.

I'd like it if a number of characters contribute to defeating the Others and doing whatever but none of them are specifically pointed out in the text as being the chosen one. So it could be any of them or all of them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Azor Azhai/ Prince that was Promised prophecy is so vague that any character could fill it. I'm pretty sure I could make a solid argument that Cersei and Moon Boy are Azor Azhai.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 23, 2015

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Prophecy itself is dumb. I hope none of them are fulfilled, even by the farthest of stretches.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

colonel_korn posted:

Huh apparently Sophie Turner is going to be Jean Grey in the new X-Men movie. That'll take a bit of getting used to.

Must have been that Dark Phoenix outfit she was wearing at the end of the season.

The valonquor is actually her's and Jaime's triplet that she devoured in the womb and has been growing inside of her.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The valonquor is actually her's and Jaime's triplet that she devoured in the womb and has been growing inside of her.

Ah yes, Jonas Junior Lannister.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

QuoProQuid posted:

The Azor Azhai/ Prince that was Promised prophecy is so vague that any character could fill it. I'm pretty sure I could make a solid argument that Cersei and Moon Boy are Azor Azhai.

And I, would challenge you to do so. :allears:

Just because it would be interesting to see how the books can be interpreted that way. Make the case for Moon Boy :)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm pretty sure I could make a solid argument that Cersei and Moon Boy are Azor Azhai.

I'm gonna take that "and" literally, and demand an explanation of how they, as a combined entity, are Azor Azhai. I'm talking some serious Gotenks or Tyler Durden poo poo here.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I would wholeheartedly read that fanfic.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Everyone is Azor Ahai

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Everyone is Azor Ahai

You heard it here first folks: the show is going to end with every surviving character lining up and just kicking the Night's King in the nards for 60 straight minutes.

It is known.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
The final episode will be a live event at Comic-Con.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In the final episode, Jon will be taken to the Others' citadel, and told of their master plan.

The Others are an ancient, sentient race who were created to wipe out civilizations when they got too advanced, too dependent on magic, too expansive and too violent. Humans (and races that came before them) could only last so long before their petty wars, sorcery and greed brought about unimaginable suffering. So the Others destroy them, take a sample of their race (in the form of the risen dead and transformed babbys) and plant the seeds for the next race to rise up (such as dragon eggs, ancient tomes and lingering magic). As time goes on, they build a collective of the best of each race, a 'master race' of their kind if you will. In a way, their aim is to preserve life without letting it get too out of hand. They believe that their work is the only way to ensure that life continues despite the self destructive nature of man and beast. They also believe that every race will grow to harness magic and darker arts and that they will eventually be wiped out by the misuse of said sorcery.

Every few thousand year they go from being a threat to a memory, to a legend, to a song, and eventually they're just a silly tale that keeps gullible children up at night.

When this is explained to Jon (who has already been made an amalgamation of man, magic and Other), he is told that he is Azor Ahai, the one being trusted to end this cycle of harvest, and given a choice.

He could choose to destroy the Others, and with them all evidence of their existence, all remnants of past civilizations, and the use of all magics.

He could choose to lead the Others as their god, ensuring that their great works continue (or don't, if he so chooses).

He could choose to unite humanity with the Others, causing all life on the planet to become infused with magical energy, ensuring an advanced, if dangerous future for all.

At that point the episode pauses, and audiences use their remote to choose for Jon. The choice doesn't affect the last 5 minute of the show in any way though.

Credits roll.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That sounds like the most terrible thing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

You forgot the bit where all life becomes half-ice on a genetic level.

I don't know what that means either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

That sounds like the most terrible thing.

It's the original ending of Mass Effect 3, as blatantly stolen from Babylon 5. gently caress Bioware with a hammer.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jedit posted:

It's the original ending of Mass Effect 3, as blatantly stolen from Babylon 5. gently caress Bioware with a hammer.

No, the original ending was galactic warming, but it got leaked and they changed it before release to something only slightly less terrible.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Isn't galactic warming a good thing? reverse entropy etc... you know what let's not do this derail.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

QuoProQuid posted:

It could be, for all we know.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Emerson Cod posted:

It could be, for all we know.

Prophecies are just words and words are wind.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Skeesix posted:

Prophecies are just words and words are wind.

Intangible, but real; and harsh in the winter?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Steve2911 posted:

grrm effect 3

You horrible genius.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Even the breastplate neeps will be part ice!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Intangible, but real; and harsh in the winter?

You can put them in a balloon and fly away?

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Frostwerks posted:

You can put them in a balloon and fly away?

Use them to power windmills?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Use them to power windmills?

Fly out of the rear end of fat men?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So any chance they'll leave Quentyn's looney tunes ending in there untouched? I am going to guess they won't at this point. It'll be too much like Oberons unless they play it for laughs - which they won't even though I loving laughed my head off goddamn. One of my favourite scenes pretty much. Poor bastard could not catch a break.

For Sale: Dornish Boots! Slightly singed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tambaloneus posted:

So any chance they'll leave Quentyn's looney tunes ending in there untouched? I am going to guess they won't at this point. It'll be too much like Oberons unless they play it for laughs - which they won't even though I loving laughed my head off goddamn. One of my favourite scenes pretty much. Poor bastard could not catch a break.

For Sale: Dornish Boots! Slightly singed.

Quentyn may not exist at all in the show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lycus posted:

Quentyn may not exist at all in the show.

Turns out the dragon burned him so efficiently he was erased from all other forms of media.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dalael posted:

And I, would challenge you to do so. :allears:

Just because it would be interesting to see how the books can be interpreted that way. Make the case for Moon Boy :)

I might have been exaggerating a little, but here:

Azor Ahai is prophesied to be the leader of the Three Headed Dragon. Early in the series, Moon Boy becomes one of three jesters serving in King's Landing at the same time (along with Dontos and Butterbumps). This event is noted to be extremely unusual and, due to his seniority, Moon Boy is the technical leader of the three. It should also be noted that while the Three Headed Dragon has traditionally been a symbol of House Targaryen, it is also used to represent the various institutions created by the Iron Throne, such as the Mint. The Court Jester is one such position.

Further, we see Moon Boy perform in A Clash of Kings immediately before the Siege on King's Landing. Amidst smoke, as the Queen's Ballroom is described as being filled with torches, and salt, as the Queen's court is described as weeping uncontrollably, the fools engage in a mock battle on broomstick horses. It is during this battle, with the bleeding star overhead, that Moon Boy reveals his weapon: wit and humor. While it might not be a literal sword, Moon Boy's antics still holds back "the cold breath of darkness that [has fallen] heavy on the world" by keeping the court merry. GRRM makes a point of describing Lolly as "shivering" in fear as they wait for news of the battle.

As we can now see, Moon Boy's conquest is not one of swords, but of minds. Though Jaime's dark eye does fall upon him, Moon Boy remains well-liked by almost all that meet him. His influence is so profound that Tommen tries to name a ship after him, foreshadowing that Moon Boy will convince the boy-king to lay down his weapons and bring peace to the Seven Kingdoms through laughter. Truly, Moon Boy is Azor Ahai, the Prince that was Promised. Though they may not realize it, all of Westeros is unworthy to stand in the presence of this unsung hero.

My point was that I dislike prophecy, because it can be stretched to fit almost any event and circumstance, no matter how ridiculous. Supposed prophecies in the real world should be evidence enough of that.

nine-gear crow posted:

You heard it here first folks: the show is going to end with every surviving character lining up and just kicking the Night's King in the nards for 60 straight minutes.

It is known.

That would be a good ending.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 26, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

QuoProQuid posted:

My point was that I dislike prophecy, because it can be stretched to fit almost any event and circumstance, no matter how ridiculous. Supposed prophecies in the real world should be evidence enough of that.

I still think that's the point of the Maester Marwyn line. While prophecies may eventually come true, they're so vague and bullshit they can be interpreted fifteen different ways depending on the interpret and translations and what you want to use it for that there'S no way to come out of it on top int he end. Unless you mad eit up yourself tos erve your own ends, of course.

And even then.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tambaloneus posted:

So any chance they'll leave Quentyn's looney tunes ending in there untouched?

Where he flies away on a dragon? It would be a pretty big plot point to cut.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Quentyn's entire contribution to the story could be accomplished by having a drunk guard forget to close a door.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

rydiafan posted:

Quentyn's entire contribution to the story could be accomplished by having a drunk guard forget to close a door.

We wouldn't get any Golden Company development that way, though, and look how important they're definitely going to be

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
As always, Quentyn's significance is threefold:

- he releases the dragons
- his death will compel Doran to side with Aegon over Dany, escalating the upcoming Dance of Dragons
- he provides a look at the dire consequences of Dany's liberation of the Slaver Bay, particularly in Astapor, and offers a glimpse at the politics of the sellsword companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
If the Golden Company is in we better get some war elephants, Jon Connington seemed pretty confident that they will cause some serious mayhem in Westeros.

• Locked thread