Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'm a simpleton that shouldn't be tinkering with nuclear stuff, what kspi engine would be best for a sethlan/SAFE reactor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So, what have I been doing since 0.90?

Well, the first thing I did was grind and scrape to upgrade the facilities.

And then I started running Kerbals through a training program.

Kerbals launch from Kerbin in a Borscht-class Crew Recovery Vehicle.

On orbit, the Borscht-class CRV docks with a Cheddar -class lander (Leftmost-craft-side). The fuel brought up is transfered between the two orange Cantankers, and the returning class EVAs, while the new class enters the Cheddar-class lander.

The returning class then enters the Borscht CRV, and returns to Kerbin.

Meanwhile, the new class goes to Minmus

Then briefly outside of the Kerbin SOI...

And then to the Mun.

After which, they return to LKO, and swap places with the next crew.

Upon their return, I have six more Level 3 Kerbals.

At the peak of the program, I had four Cheddar-class landers in service, the STVs Caravane, Dorset, Emmental, and Filetta running, and I'd send a new crew up each time the previous crew got to Minmus, which /mostly/ spaced things out, though the timing of the Mun arrival tended to be a bit hinky, and as a result, I wound up with the Caravane and the Filetta arriving at the Mun within an hour of each other once.

Ultimately, though, I'd probably rather not do this. I really should have done something like grab the Taurus-Class HCV, built a training spacecraft based on /that/ and trained 25 or so Kerbals per trip instead of six. Also, I probably should have concentrated on training Engineers instead of training pilots, scientists, and engineers equally.

Oh, well. When I clear the decks, I'll have just shy of fifty level-3 Kerbals.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Which mod does the power ranger space suits?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Texture Replacer.

I picked up a pack that colored the EVA and IVA suits according to the Kerbals' occupations, because I'd had a heck of a time telling them apart otherwise.

I believe it was J's Specialized Suit Pack.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OAquinas posted:

Now my little girl can see me launch female kerbals into orbit and get all excited about it. :3:
Gamerdads!
:hfive: I'm super loving excited for female Kerbals as well. I can't wait to show my daughter.
One time after a RUD launch, I landed the capsule safely and had the passengers hop out. She told me "Oh good! Now they can go home to their mommies!" :3:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Max, I hope you'll make sure your Squadmates get to see some of the positive response to the female Kerbal announcement. It would be a shame if all the feedback they heard came out of that travesty of a thread on the KSP forums. I think this was an important step for you guys to take and I want everyone to feel good about doing it.

For the record I would have been perfectly happy with genderless Kerbals if they'd actually been designed to look and sound that way in the first place, but they totally weren't.

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well, you could go Mars Trilogy and colonize Duna.

What KSP really needs is "inscrutable" Japanese and angry Space-Arabs.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

A thread on reddit just reminded me, what happened to clouds? :(

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I forgot to give my de-orbiting capsule any parachutes and only realised as poor Bob Kerman was hurtling towards the ground at 2000 m/s. In a fit of desperation he leaped from the fiery capsule at 12,000 metres and activated his EVA thrusters, firing them towards the ground in an effort to stop himself.

Still going nearly 40 m/s he smashed into the ground and proceeded to bounce along the desert for several miles before finally coming to a stop, safe and sound. Godspeed, tiny Kerbal :jeb:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Inacio posted:

That's a mod. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-24-7-4-Sep-9-2014-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

edit: People are saying you need to delete the City Lights half of it to run in .90

Spelling Mitsake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 24, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Inacio posted:

I'd rather see further optimization done on water to not drag performance down before they start worrying about clouds at all, personally.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cubey posted:

Karbonite continuing to poo poo all over Kethane makes me happy in a very irrational and childish way

e: christ I just read a few pages of the thread about female Kerbals :suicide:

I will also admit to an almost irrational glee at Majiir's meteoric plunge into obscurity. Flowerchild seems to be lining himself up for a similar descent, just before Christmas it looked like he was going to throw in the towel and go away but his fanboys got him to keep going. Given his concerns in that thread (what a delightful read...), the next version should be BDSM - masochistic sausage fest in Spaaaaace.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Saw this posted on reddit, someone made a poll - let's all vote in it because voting is super cool.

The poll can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15jAqP0C5X4ija1-X9Ny3HDu8RROAQ2ORm8DwVMR1YZs/viewform?usp=send_form

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!

Ratzap posted:

I will also admit to an almost irrational glee at Majiir's meteoric plunge into obscurity. Flowerchild seems to be lining himself up for a similar descent, just before Christmas it looked like he was going to throw in the towel and go away but his fanboys got him to keep going. Given his concerns in that thread (what a delightful read...), the next version should be BDSM - masochistic sausage fest in Spaaaaace.

I think FC's days are numbered. Before, he mostly contained his dickery to the BTSM thread, but now that he's shown himself publicly, I think it'll drive people away from his mod. And without the attention, he'll have no reason to stick around. He'll have to find some other game to imprint his passive-aggressive idea of improvement upon.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Maxmaps posted:

I hope female Kerbals counts as happily surprised!

Forum reaction mixed though!

You and your company are good people Maxmaps and you should feel good about yourselves.

Also very excited about 1.0, it really sounds like the feature list will be worthy of the title.

Splode posted:

Flowerchild's wolves mod had some sort of bondage and rape thing going on.

Honestly, if his mod simply removes them from the game that would be the best case scenario
Jesus Christ.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Also - anyone know what's going on with Astronomer's Visual Pack and CKAN? I swear it used to be there. Now it's not. What happened?

It is a fantastic mod but installing it has always been just the worst thing.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

fauxbama posted:

I think FC's days are numbered. Before, he mostly contained his dickery to the BTSM thread, but now that he's shown himself publicly, I think it'll drive people away from his mod. And without the attention, he'll have no reason to stick around. He'll have to find some other game to imprint his passive-aggressive idea of improvement upon.

I wouldn't be so sure. Out of the few pages I skimmed through of that thread it seemed like half or more of the posts were explicitly aligned with his sentiment, so at least in terms of his audience on the KSP forums it probably won't hurt him much if at all.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Wynand posted:

Also - anyone know what's going on with Astronomer's Visual Pack and CKAN? I swear it used to be there. Now it's not. What happened?

I gave up on the idea of using EVE until CKAN came along. If instructions are garbled, outdated, or have any steps assuming previous knowledge of some arcanum I walk away, figuratively speaking. EVE installation wasn't the clearest, but the instructions for replacing the skybox might as well have been randomly generated by a chatbot.

e: ^^^^ Are the posts aligned with FC's beliefs or just mirroring FC's beliefs because of some kind of twisted fanboy-ism.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 24, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Splode posted:

Flowerchild's wolves mod had some sort of bondage and rape thing going on.

Do I want to know?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FC's mod is going to be the thing that drives people away from FC's mod so if you're the sort that gets really agitated that someone with bad opinions makes a mod, you don't need to worry!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mr. Wynand posted:

You and your company are good people Maxmaps and you should feel good about yourselves.

Also very excited about 1.0, it really sounds like the feature list will be worthy of the title.

Echoing this! There are a lot of dumbshits ranting about female Kerbals but they are bad people who have wrong ideas about things. They're like Raphael from the one Stanley Parable trailer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nalesh posted:

Do I want to know?

FC's first publicized volley in shitlordhood was his mod for MineCraft: Better Than Wolves.

There was wolf-rape. And wolf-bondage.

Then he found KSP.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

While that article wildly overstates it in the title (surprise!), I immediately ignored it because the sidebar had vehicle recreation , which I always love.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It is possible to achieve orbit with nothing but ion propulsion. Not pictured: four drop tanks, fore– and aft‐facing solar panels.

It’s a somewhat hollow achievement considering how many massless parts I used and how broken control surfaces are as wings (I did at least lock them). On the other hand, lift at low angles of attack is pathetic with stock ærodynamics, so I don’t feel too guilty.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Inacio posted:

KSP is going to 1.0 next update.

There were a lot of things they promised for 1.0, and now they're pushed to the future™

Early Access really is a curse, isn't it

Do you really believe that KSP did early access wrong? It's one of the few great success stories of early access.

It's great, functional and has a plethora of features and fun stuff to do. The developers have always been active and did some smart things. It's been in development for 4 years. I think they've done enough to be considered out of early access.

I really don't understand this line of criticism of this game. Reddit and others acting as if the development team personally wronged you because there aren't clouds in the game is illogical and childish. And if there were clouds they'd find something else to get upset about.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Kerbal Space Program is a great example of how to do Early Access wonderfully right.

Starbound is a great example of how to do Early Access horribly wrong.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There's a button for offset, rotate and root. What about mirror? I don't like having to select a part with the mouse, which moves it, in order to change the mirror.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Not gonna lie, I had really hoped clouds would make the 1.0 release, if only because they look so great, add so much, and EVE is a total pain to make work. Are there any plans to finish the IVAs for 1.0?

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 25, 2015

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mr. Wynand posted:

Absolutely want to echo this. When I showed my girlfriend KSP after reinstalling for .90, one of the first questions she had was "Are there any girl Kerbals or is it just a planet of dudes?" You guys are awesome, keep it up!

quote:

Its a pain in the loving rear end. It took a couple hours of installing and uninstalling bits and pieces of it in different orders to get it to run stable. Even then, not all of it works. Some of it is dumb as hell too, like lightning. KSC is under a perpetual storm and the entire planet looks like a tesla coil from orbit at all times because that's totally how lightning is. I can't figure out how to turn it off in a way that doesn't break the game, either. The aurora looks cool, though!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Its a pain in the loving rear end. It took a couple hours of installing and uninstalling bits and pieces of it in different orders to get it to run stable. Even then, not all of it works. Some of it is dumb as hell too, like lightning. KSC is under a perpetual storm and the entire planet looks like a tesla coil from orbit at all times because that's totally how lightning is. I can't figure out how to turn it off in a way that doesn't break the game, either. The aurora looks cool, though!

I didn't install it through CKAN. I installed it from their folder that gives you a step by step and the whole thing works just fine even with all their optional bonus stuff.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Female Kerbals? Snazzy.

It also suggests that there's going to be a way to introduce new models and skins into the game. More customisation! Sweet!

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Funny enough, I got EVE itself to work with no hassle, so just the textured and particle clouds, but trying to install Astronomer's pack consistently froze my game in the loading stage. Despite his amazing work, I didn't quite like that planet glow he adds to airless bodies anyways, so I don't mind having "vanilla" clouds.

On feature completion: However, the one feature that I'm really missing is some kind of stock interplanetary helper. I'm dreaming of some kind of tab in Mission Control that lets you play around with transfer windows, displaying upcoming and just-missed windows in some kind of split-flat system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA6zn3nP7tY

But the way Maxmaps has talked about the subject of female Kerbals makes me pretty excited for it.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I'm still genuinely confused as to why people seem to get up in arms against the addition of female kerbals. What does it take away? How does it change things?

I suppose I'll just have to deal with the answer of "stupid people being stupid," but I didn't expect this many people to follow FC in his crusade against nothing.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

karl fungus posted:

Starbound is a great example of how to do Early Access horribly wrong.

How so?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Carsius posted:

I'm still genuinely confused as to why people seem to get up in arms against the addition of female kerbals. What does it take away? How does it change things?

I suppose I'll just have to deal with the answer of "stupid people being stupid," but I didn't expect this many people to follow FC in his crusade against nothing.

Rocket science is a boyz club. No girls allowed. :colbert:

:smithicide:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Carsius posted:

Because some people lack the emotional development to deal with the fact they are no longer the primary/only target demographic game developers cater to and they can only express this by externalizing the source of their anguish as their new demographic "competition", manifesting in either overt misogyny or racism, or misogyny and racism thinly veiled in some convenient pretence like ethics in game journalism or they are not happy with how Squad is allocating their artists' time.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Anyone got any tips for figuring out why my game keeps crashing? Whenever switching scenes (from the KSC, VAB, tracking centre, in game, etc.), my game keep randomly closing :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carsius posted:

In addition to what Wynand said, some people who have no idea how game development works thinks that any time spent on a feature is time not spent on another feature and get angry when their pet feature isn't given full attention.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I am absolutely thrilled with the feature list. It's pretty much everything I could have hoped for.

The boys at Squad have done a fantastic job with this game, and I know you're just getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Are ion engines ever used for manned missions?