Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It also has a new city to tear up which is much more than I could say for Saints Row IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tiggum posted:

People who keep saying stuff like this must be getting some loving amazing DLC that isn't available to the rest of us. All these new activities, targets, powers, weapons, enemies... I mean, what are you comparing it to? Because Gangstas in Space or How the Saints Save Christmas are a tiny fraction of this.

Opposing Force and

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's been a few. Undead Nightmare. Episodes from Liberty City. Dragonborn. Shivering Isles. Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches are quite good, I hear. (Haven't gotten round to them yet.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I was reading the Re-Elected/GOoH thread on NeoGAF and found out there are actual people who don't like the customization in Saints Row. :eng99:

Also found a lot of whining about dumb poo poo, but that was to be expected.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Doc Morbid posted:

I was reading the Re-Elected/GOoH thread on NeoGAF and found out there are actual people who don't like the customization in Saints Row. :eng99:

Also found a lot of whining about dumb poo poo, but that was to be expected.

The problem is you went to that shithole of a site in the first place.

Also yeah not many DLCs pack this much content. I'm fine with what they gave us. Granted I wish we got SR5 instead but this was a neat expansion pack we got. The flying is great and doesn't feel like it's just a reskin of SR4's super powers.

Not to mention it's kinda nice it ain't goddamn steelport for once. Hell felt more fun to go around then Steelport.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The APCs keep driving off bridges before I can get then down enough to take them :argh:

It's $20 well spent, especially considering I got 2, 3, 4, and all their DLC on sale for $10.

Edit: I really like the flying. It seems to have proper energy-based physics -- you can zoom climb (shallow dive to build up speed and then go straight up and not stall) and suchlike. Speed is life, altitude is speed.

Also who the gently caress uses inverted controls? flight controls are inverted by default, and that makes no sense at all. Well, I guess it makes sense with the analog sticks on a 360 controller, but it's weird with a mouse.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 24, 2015

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

This is basically what would have been called an "expansion" back in the day before smaller DLC add ons became commonplace.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't understand why people were expecting anything bigger out of this, it's a $20 game that they expressly billed as an expansion pack and it's exactly that: more Saints Row 4 with fresher powers and a new map that's way more interesting than Steelport.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just rented saints row 4. I've played for 15 hours and have just unlocked telekinesis from sid. How far into the game am I? Why do I have to obsessively do every side mission I see?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Kind of an odd error...

I picked up SR4, but I can't get it to link to my online account to like upload characters or whatever.

I know the info is correct because I actually reset the password specifically to ensure I knew what it was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't understand why people were expecting anything bigger out of this, it's a $20 game that they expressly billed as an expansion pack and it's exactly that: more Saints Row 4 with fresher powers and a new map that's way more interesting than Steelport.

Hey, I've seen people bitch about amazing 10 dollar games "not being worth it". For some reason as soon as you leave the AAA 60 bucks zone, every dollar must justify itself.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Annath posted:

Kind of an odd error...

I picked up SR4, but I can't get it to link to my online account to like upload characters or whatever.

I know the info is correct because I actually reset the password specifically to ensure I knew what it was.

All community features are down while we're working on the site.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Megazver posted:

There's been a few. Undead Nightmare. Episodes from Liberty City. Dragonborn. Shivering Isles. Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches are quite good, I hear. (Haven't gotten round to them yet.)

Yeah. When I say "Polished DLC" I don't neccesarily mean it in a negative way, maybe I should've said "Expandalone" instead. As a fan of Saints since the very first, I really, really enjoyed GooH and we're going to go back again to 100% it tommorow, but it's important to keep your expectations in check. SR: GooH isn't a world-shattering departure from what SR4 brought to the table, but it doesn't need to be. It's still a lot of fun. It's just not bringing to the table the production values that people might expect out of a full release, which is entirely to be expected.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

According to a friend you can finish the story without even finishing the story missions. As long as you do enough side guff (which is apparently not even 1/4 of the available side guff) to fill the arbitrary "satan is getting pissy" meter the final story mission opens up. She finished it without ever rescuing anyone except Dane which left what, 4 story threads pretty much untouched?

Interesting design choice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I still love the opening cutscene. The Ouiji Board taunting them by having its marker go from "H" to "A" to "H" to "A" repeatedly.

Then Gat persuades it by blowing a hole in it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The Ouiji board sold me when it went to 'yes' after Gat asked 'so are you ready to cooperate now'

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oujia Board for Best New Saint's Character. If they stay with this canon I want to see it painted purple with "Hell Yes" "gently caress No" and "gently caress you say?" as the options.

It floats around after you when you choose it as a homie and you have to watch it to figure out what it's saying.

Also Volition are tallying up what you choose in the ending and will base SR5 around the most populous concensus :getin:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bobtista posted:

According to a friend you can finish the story without even finishing the story missions. As long as you do enough side guff (which is apparently not even 1/4 of the available side guff) to fill the arbitrary "satan is getting pissy" meter the final story mission opens up. She finished it without ever rescuing anyone except Dane which left what, 4 story threads pretty much untouched?

Interesting design choice.
Those aren't much of story missions though, more like additional activities that unlock partway through the same way the spires do after the first big story cutscene. If you rescue them they just go "whew thanks let's keep on going".

Songbearer posted:

Also Volition are tallying up what you choose in the ending and will base SR5 around the most populous concensus :getin:
That would be fine with me because I picked the objectively best one apparently by pure instinct.

e: only if everyone else picks the same one too, obviously. I will be very cross if not.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 24, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I hope it's the Gat is the king of Hell ending only because maybe we can have a game without him for a change.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Oujia Board for Best New Saint's Character. If they stay with this canon I want to see it painted purple with "Hell Yes" "gently caress No" and "gently caress you say?" as the options.

It floats around after you when you choose it as a homie and you have to watch it to figure out what it's saying.

You can go back and kill Satan and pick a different ending as much as you want in the postgame.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Those aren't much of story missions though, more like additional activities that unlock partway through the same way the spires do after the first big story cutscene. If you rescue them they just go "whew thanks let's keep on going".

Wow what a pointlessly lovely addition to the game.

I enjoyed SRIV as much as anyone but if my 2 hours with the game and the feedback I'm getting is any indication please Volition stop adding on to this poo poo and do something else.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

I hope it's the Gat is the king of Hell ending only because maybe we can have a game without him for a change.

They did this, it's called Saints Row The Third.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

They did this, it's called Saints Row The Third.

Alas, not even The Third is untainted. Even the underwhelming DLC aside, he's there in the beginning and thanks to him, Shaundi is pretty much insufferable for most of the game.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
SR needs more love for Matt Miller. He's the biggest underdog of the series and the most underutilized as well. On top of that, he pulls off the leather jacket better than I could only hope to.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Megazver posted:

Alas, not even The Third is untainted. Even the underwhelming DLC aside, he's there in the beginning and thanks to him, Shaundi is pretty much insufferable for most of the game.

what is it like to be soulless

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

SR needs more love for Matt Miller. He's the biggest underdog of the series and the most underutilized as well. On top of that, he pulls off the leather jacket better than I could only hope to.

they're building up his character, I think he'll get his breakthrough in 5

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

what is it like to be soulless

Comes with being Russian. I consider it an acceptable trade off.

Also, God's voice isn't listed on IMDB but that was either Nathan Fillion or someone doing a Nathan Fillion impression.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I haven't played 1-3. Who is Gat?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Even if you've only played 4 you'd know that Johnny Gat is Earth's most puissant warrior.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RC Cola posted:

The bosses best friend, unofficial second in command, casual murderer and general non-gently caress giver. He was killed off in the beginning of 3, but if you played 4 or kind of followed this thread for the past dozen or so pages you know that's not exactly the case.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Aside from the PC/The Boss, Gat's the only member of the original Saints that's still kicking. The Saints got huge by driving out a bunch of other gangs in SR1 before tearing themselves apart due to internal struggles and betrayals; SR2 starts out with The Boss rescuing Gat from prison and then rebuilding the Saints from scratch. Every other original Saint has dropped their flag for one reason or another. You could sort of say Carlos is an OG Saint due to how he helps The Boss in the beginning of SR2, but Carlos dies as part of the events in that game, so it is kind of irrelevant.

SR3 starts out with the Saints getting run out of their home turf from SR1/2 and ending up in Steelport, where they once again have to rebuild everything from scratch. Gat is presumed dead in the first hour of the game, and only reappears in SR4.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Has anyone else lost their autosave for the RE version of SRIV? I had played up to Gat's loyalty mission then decided to play GooH expecting that my boss would appear but she didn't, at first I thought maybe it needed a full save but I've got no saved game at all for SRIV now, there is no "continue" option in SRIV and load game just seems to load infinitely with the crawl at the bottom and the background animation running as normal.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

Also, God's voice isn't listed on IMDB but that was either Nathan Fillion or someone doing a Nathan Fillion impression.

It's him, I didn't notice until the credits mentioned it.

RC Cola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-pMaaLHuk

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 24, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Megazver posted:

Yeah he's in the credits as being voiced by Nathan Fillion.

Also there was a disturbing lack of Pierce in this game. Also the boss., but that's understandable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would the game be better or worse if Gat wasn't in SR4 and this just provided closure for where he ended up? :v:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

poptart_fairy posted:

Would the game be better or worse if Gat wasn't in SR4 and this just provided closure for where he ended up? :v:

Depends on whether we got that beatemup stage or not. :colbert:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Saints Row: The Third keeps not saving correctly after beating the final Gangstas in Space DLC mission and I can't stomach doing it a third time for a while- really is a shame but still a great game. No teleport power or flying has made me realize how spoiled I've become.

Speedball posted:

I still love the opening cutscene. The Ouiji Board taunting them by having its marker go from "H" to "A" to "H" to "A" repeatedly.

Then Gat persuades it by blowing a hole in it.

Coolguye posted:

The Ouiji board sold me when it went to 'yes' after Gat asked 'so are you ready to cooperate now'

They did a loving amazing job packing personality into a plank of wood.

Songbearer posted:

I'm loving making this, thank you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of The Third, these games still have the best bugs:

This Morningstar guy decided to join the boss and Pierce on their ride home. He'd keep ragdolling around in the wind like one of those inflatable tube things, and bled whenever something hit him.

Boss is like "do you see what I have to deal with"

He was still there after the mission, and blocked the car door from closing. I eventually freed him by smashing his head into the garage door frame.

edit: also SRIV got way better when I discovered the mod that turns all the lights in Saints-controlled areas purple, seen here in glorious downsampled 4K (which still runs better than Re-Elected on PS4):

http://i.imgur.com/8bu1Af8.jpg (possibly :nws: if naked ladies drawn in neon lights aren't acceptable at your workplace)

It's called "Bright Lights, Purple City" and can be found here. The modder was apparently going to figure out how to make it even more purple, but his last post is from June 2014 so this is probably all we're getting.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 24, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there any mods like that for SR3? That's impressive as hell and fixes the one problem I had with SR4 area takeovers. Purple not blue dammit.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I want to replay SR3. Zooming around in a motorcycle was so much fun and SR4 made that obsolete. Gat out of Hell was even worse because I couldn't upgrade cars. I wanted my own tricked-out Goat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Aside from the PC/The Boss, Gat's the only member of the original Saints that's still kicking. The Saints got huge by driving out a bunch of other gangs in SR1 before tearing themselves apart due to internal struggles and betrayals; SR2 starts out with The Boss rescuing Gat from prison and then rebuilding the Saints from scratch. Every other original Saint has dropped their flag for one reason or another. You could sort of say Carlos is an OG Saint due to how he helps The Boss in the beginning of SR2, but Carlos dies as part of the events in that game, so it is kind of irrelevant.

SR3 starts out with the Saints getting run out of their home turf from SR1/2 and ending up in Steelport, where they once again have to rebuild everything from scratch. Gat is presumed dead in the first hour of the game, and only reappears in SR4.

SR1 is annoying to replay because of this.

Of the Saints in the first game, literally only Boss/Gat/Troy stay loyal. Everyone else turns, even the random bangers on the street, or they die.

It gives the entire game this kind of "none of this matters, none of you matter" mentality.

• Locked thread