Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Weren't there some Wii games that were made to support GC controllers? I imagine if they worked on the original Wii then they will work now. Otherwise, I would not expect them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I don't agree with every example Anita gives in her videos, but I agree with her overall point, and I'll usually defend her.

But I think she's totally off the mark when it comes to Bayonetta, and I'm not really looking forward to her video on Bayonetta 2 she mentioned she was working on (when it comes out in 2018)

Eh. I can't say anyone is 100% off the mark of their criticism of Bayonetta when that one specific enemy attack exists. It's a pretty bad example regardless of anything else that owns about Bayonetta.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

raditts posted:

Weren't there some Wii games that were made to support GC controllers? I imagine if they worked on the original Wii then they will work now. Otherwise, I would not expect them to.
Well, yeah, I mean I don't want to make games magically support GC pads when they didn't before - what I thought Nintendon't would do was basically treat the GC adaptor like the GC controller ports on the Wii in vWii mode, but noirstronaut seems to imply it will only work for GC games, not GC controller compatible Wii games. Which is why I am currently confused.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ChaosArgate posted:

SMRPG might have yet to reach the eShop because it used a special proprietary add on chip that might be a bitch to emulate, much like the Super FX chip in Yoshi's Island (or whatever it is), leading to the only available version of said game being the GBA one.

SMRPG uses the SA1, which is the same chip used in Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Land 3, which are both available on the WiiU Virtual Console.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also am I missing something because SMRPG is on Wii Virtual Console just not Wii U yet

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

raditts posted:

Those wii games used the hardware gamecube ports, not a usb adapter. Nintendon't tricks Gamecube backups into thinking the adapter is the physical ports, and in order for it to work on Wii games you'd have to be running backups through a loader that does the same trickery.

There's always the chance that Nintendo will patch wii mode to do this, but the fact that Gamepad=Classic Controller only works in Wii VC titles probably means we'll only see GC controller adapter compatibility with future Wii VC titles.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want to pick up one or two Castlevania games from the VC. Which ones should I pick up out of the ones on there if I love SotN, IV, and the DS games?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hakkesshu posted:

Also am I missing something because SMRPG is on Wii Virtual Console just not Wii U yet

It's Square Enix's fault, as they are the one who have to approve it. And they rather re-release old SNES games on ios to care about the WiiU right now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KennyMan666 posted:

Well, yeah, I mean I don't want to make games magically support GC pads when they didn't before - what I thought Nintendon't would do was basically treat the GC adaptor like the GC controller ports on the Wii in vWii mode, but noirstronaut seems to imply it will only work for GC games, not GC controller compatible Wii games. Which is why I am currently confused.

Yeah, Nintendon't is a GC simulator or something. Since the Wii U has the hardware to run gamecube games if it had a slot for them (or something like that) so Nintendon't manages to run them through the usage of :filez: but I think Wii backup loaders would have to add code to support the Gamecube adapter...somehow. I'm not entirely sure on that front, but I know it's made for GC games.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Finally making my way through Shovel Knight. I like these helicopter rat dudes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr E posted:

I want to pick up one or two Castlevania games from the VC. Which ones should I pick up out of the ones on there if I love SotN, IV, and the DS games?

Castlevania 3 if NES, Aria of Sorrow if GBA. If you've played the DS games, Aria is the predecessor to Dawn of Sorrow. Circle of the Moon is good too, but Aria is the one most people like. Rondo of Blood is also on regular Wii Virtual Console and many consider that to be the best game in the entire series. I don't, but it's pretty good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

A little late with Gamecube mic on Nintendon't chat, but I think they meant that it will work if you use it on a Wii with GC hardware inputs. It's never going to work with the Wii U.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

SMRPG uses the SA1, which is the same chip used in Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Land 3, which are both available on the WiiU Virtual Console.

In that case I blame Squeenix. At least the first Mario and Luigi's on the eShop if you really want your Mario RPG fix.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I really wonder how much extra effort it would have been for Nintendo to have vWii mode recognize the GC adaptor as legitimate GC ports on a Wii. Making that device for one single game feels like such an insane decision.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

A little late with Gamecube mic on Nintendon't chat, but I think they meant that it will work if you use it on a Wii with GC hardware inputs. It's never going to work with the Wii U.

It's literally listed right there in the Nintendont compatibility featurelist? Nintendont is a compatibility software for using GC hardware on the Wii U. Why would someone running a disc / pirating a GCN game on a Wii need any software compatibility package when there are already actual GCN ports on the front of the box that both internal consoles have access to? (And yes there is a full Gamecube inside of the Wii Casing)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This isn't Wii U specific homebrew, it was a thing before the Wii U was even released, or at least the other GC interpreter, Devolution, was. Sure, Wii owners might not need it because the Wii can natively play Gamecube, but maybe their disk drive is broken so they can't (mine is), or maybe they're a person who uses :filez: to get their games. Who knows, but my point is that it works on the Wii, which has GC memory card ports, allowing Nintendon't to use the GC mic on the Wii.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

This isn't Wii U specific homebrew, it was a thing before the Wii U was even released, or at least the other GC interpreter, Devolution, was. Sure, Wii owners might not need it because the Wii can natively play Gamecube, but maybe their disk drive is broken so they can't (mine is), or maybe they're a person who uses :filez: to get their games. Who knows, but my point is that it works on the Wii, which has GC memory card ports, allowing Nintendon't to use the GC mic on the Wii.

Jesus christ that accessory ran off a memory card port? I tried to find the methodology for including that and it looks like it might be a compatibility fix for running it on the Wii off a memory card slot and not on the Wii U. There seems to be zero documentation on it anyways.

Nobody is really missing anything there anyhow. If you've played Mario Party 6/7 you'd know that it flat out didn't work and was laughable that it was actually shipped.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah it was a memory card accessory. It's never going to work on Wii U because of it. I'd argue that makes Mario Party 6 and 7 slightly less fun to play though because you don't get to watch your friends get more and more annoyed that "banana" gets registered as "pineapple" or something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mr E posted:

If you like the DS Castlevanias, Aria of Sorrow is definitely the way to go. More Soma Cruz and Soul stuff!

Hakkesshu posted:

Castlevania 3 if NES, Aria of Sorrow if GBA. If you've played the DS games, Aria is the predecessor to Dawn of Sorrow. Circle of the Moon is good too, but Aria is the one most people like. Rondo of Blood is also on regular Wii Virtual Console and many consider that to be the best game in the entire series. I don't, but it's pretty good.

I thought the version of Rondo of Blood that's on the Wii VC was the neutered American version and not the superior Japanese version that was later translated and released on PSP?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dracula X, the SNES game, is the neutered version of Rondo. Dracula X is on the eShop. Rondo is the original version on the PC-Engine CD, which was brought to the Wii Shop Channel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I like and hate SNES Dracula X so much. On the one hand the music reproduction is pretty successful overall for SNES, but then most of the chosen tracks are some of the weaker ones or have awkward sounding arrangements. The lack of color an animation in the levels themselves is a huge letdown compared to the 1993 PC Engine masterpiece which had sprites reused from it verbatim up until Portrait of Ruin (but even in SotN most of the reused sprites actually have LESS animation than they do in Rondo :aaaaa: ).

On the other hand it was the only way I could play "Dracula X" for a while. I just really think they should have made it a bigger than 8MB cartridge and gone all out with it, it would have been pretty successful in the US at least.

It's a really weird game, in the Japanese version it's actually a sequel rather than port, but is now Annette is blond for no reason. That wasn't a localization change, and they kept it for Dracula X Chronicles. They also made it way harder overall.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 24, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mr E posted:

Definitely Aria of Sorrow. It was the best Castlevania game I've played since SotN.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was excited about GC support on the wii u, then I realized I don't really want to play any GC games on the Wii u

Pretty much everything has a Wii/ Wii U incarnation I would rather play,

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
For some reason I convinced myself rainbow curse was built in 3D and made to look like clay. Not that a whole bunch of Japanese people sat around a table having fun building Kirby stuff. Does anyone have any more making-of.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/150121/kirby_making/index.html

So awesome.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was excited about GC support on the wii u, then I realized I don't really want to play any GC games on the Wii u

Pretty much everything has a Wii/ Wii U incarnation I would rather play,

The one game I want to play is Super Mario Sunshine.

Nolgthorn posted:

For some reason I convinced myself rainbow curse was built in 3D and made to look like clay. Not that a whole bunch of Japanese people sat around a table having fun building Kirby stuff. Does anyone have any more making-of.

So awesome.

Nintendo is loving amazing in their quality.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sunshine is the one I was thinking of too, then I saw a speedrun during AGDQ and realized I don't really want to play sunshine again

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

So awesome.

I don't understand. You mean it isn't polygonal and it's actually photographic sprites? :psyduck:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
what pisses me off about other m is that the loving idiot japs dont get that samus is the poo poo because shes basically the terminator. shes not some scared little bitch whenever she sees ridley or any of that other horseshit. like in prime 1, she sees ridley loving poo poo up at the beginning and the camera shows her eyes and its clear that shes angry and shes determined to destroy his rear end. or when youre looking at the space pirate logs and its clear that they are completely terrified of her and just call her "the hunter"

that poo poo is badass.

these are more reasons why i think metroid fusion is kind of crap because you start to see that trend of giving her emotion or something to be scared of like the dumbass sa-x thing running around. the bitch has fought a giant brain and dragons and a ghost eyeball why would a dumbass parasite be scary to samus

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kewpuh posted:

what pisses me off about other m is that the loving idiot japs dont get that samus is the poo poo because shes basically the terminator. shes not some scared little bitch whenever she sees ridley or any of that other horseshit. like in prime 1, she sees ridley loving poo poo up at the beginning and the camera shows her eyes and its clear that shes angry and shes determined to destroy his rear end. or when youre looking at the space pirate logs and its clear that they are completely terrified of her and just call her "the hunter"

that poo poo is badass.

these are more reasons why i think metroid fusion is kind of crap because you start to see that trend of giving her emotion or something to be scared of like the dumbass sa-x thing running around. the bitch has fought a giant brain and dragons and a ghost eyeball why would a dumbass parasite be scary to samus

gently caress YOU! Everyone already stopped talking about that crap!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. I can't say anyone is 100% off the mark of their criticism of Bayonetta when that one specific enemy attack exists. It's a pretty bad example regardless of anything else that owns about Bayonetta.

Are you talking about the execution attack on the Joys? Because that's hilarious, I don't see a problem. Or are you talking about Rodin?

Kewpuh posted:

Because that dumbass parasite has a goddamn ice beam, spazer and plasma beam upgrade and Samus is now weak to ice.
Oh and a screw attack, SA-X has a screw attack too she will literally screw you to death

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Szmitten posted:

I don't understand. You mean it isn't polygonal and it's actually photographic sprites? :psyduck:

Maybe... the game itself is 3D and it's all just for boxart and marketing? Someone who reads japanese we need you.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

elf help book posted:

gently caress YOU! Everyone already stopped talking about that crap!

i dont abide by your rules of thread reading. i read last to first because my brain is more enhanced you dumbass

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

So I'm obviously going to buy Splatoon because you can never have Too Much Cute but I have a Best Buy specific question. First, are they going to cancel my pre-ordhehehe just kidding. I have $20 worth of rewards certificates that are going to expire in late February, before the game comes out. Can I apply those towards a pre-order of the game without worrying that they'll expire? Has anyone done this before?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Metroid is good and I hope that a new Metroid game is upcoming

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kewpuh posted:

that poo poo is badass.

Yeah like how many times had Samus fought Ridley before Other M? I mean in Super Metroid she fought him into a retreat on the space colony and then chased him back to Zebes to finish the job, why is she crying when he roars at her in Other M

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nolgthorn posted:

Maybe... the game itself is 3D and it's all just for boxart and marketing? Someone who reads japanese we need you.

I believe the cutscenes, Kirby himself and some other charaters are actual stop motion but the game scenery is 3D that looks like it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kirby seems pretty cute. Will I be a cute gamer if i buy it?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah like how many times had Samus fought Ridley before Other M? I mean in Super Metroid she fought him into a retreat on the space colony and then chased him back to Zebes to finish the job, why is she crying when he roars at her in Other M

We've been over this a million times before but it never stops being true.

I want a Metroid game based on that single picture from Zero Mission's ending where she's chilling at a space bar with this shady bartender alien.

I envision it as a pseudo-RPG where you're tracking the villain across different planets and each action section is Metroid Prime fare where you have to scan the area to learn more clues and fight enemies then take those clues to the right part of town to figure out where to go next. Going from planet to planet they could have Star Fox style dog fights too.

Also Samus would be less PTSD and more:

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Kirby seems pretty cute. Will I be a cute gamer if i buy it?

Indubitably. Get Triple Deluxe too just to make sure.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kewpuh posted:

I dunno, I like the idea that the only thing in the galaxy that could scare Samus is herself.

(no shut up Other M never happened)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's not like Samus ever acts afraid of SA-X, that's all the player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Are you talking about the execution attack on the Joys? Because that's hilarious, I don't see a problem. Or are you talking about Rodin?

I was talking about the Rodin one, yeah.

• Locked thread