Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I was watching my Roku digital clock, and I noticed that every 40 seconds or so, it skips a second. Why does this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

How can I watch the YouTube Interviews Obama video? When I go to this video, it just seems to show the suit-chest with the tagline, sometimes with a countdown timer. If I try to scroll ahead, I get various other values for the countdown timer, but not always a lower time than previously. What is going on?

Sweet can

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lawnie posted:

Sweet can

I have no idea what you mean. However, it seems like it just took (significantly) longer than expected to start; interviews started at something like 35 minutes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This link has absolutely nothing that answers my question, because I'm asking for a mouse with like 20 buttons on the side, and they only recommend a single Razer mouse that doesn't even have DPI control.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Lawnie posted:

Speaking of mouses, best wireless mouse with a dongle and forward/back buttons, that I can reasonably make work pay for?

I'm a massive fan of the Microsoft Sculpt. It's pretty easy to sell work on it because it's ergonomic

Hosting is MS so I assume they've got enough bandwidth but can host elsewhere if that's not cool

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone recommend a wireless keyboard/mouse combo That has like a ton of MMO buttons so that I can program a bunch of text macros into it? It's for work mostly, I end up having to say things repeatedly, and it would make my efficiency sky rocket if I didn't have to select the pre-defines from a scroll down menu.

I got the Logitech G510 (http://mobile-gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g510s-lcd-gaming-keyboard) to use at work for that exact purpose. I have about 15 of the 18 G keys programmed with blocks of text.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

This link has absolutely nothing that answers my question, because I'm asking for a mouse with like 20 buttons on the side, and they only recommend a single Razer mouse that doesn't even have DPI control.

In that mouse article, there's a heading on "MMO mice":

quote:

Finally, there were the MMO mice. Based on advice from the professional gamers I talked to, the extra buttons on these mice often makes them awkward to grip and harder to control. For that reason, I didn’t think any of these mice could be considered the best gaming mouse for most people:

Razer Naga ($80)
Logitech G600 ($60)
Mad Catz MMO 7 ($106)
Corsair M95 ($80)

If you’re still dead set on an MMO mouse, the Razer Naga and Logitech G600 both have 4/5 star averages on Amazon–the G600 has 317 reviews, while the Naga has 1,470. The newest model of the Naga, the 2014 Edition, has a redesigned grip and slightly-reshaped side buttons designed to be easier to distinguish from one another. It’s been positively received at Overclock.net, and it runs the same Razer Synapse software as the DeathAdder (bonus: Razer also released a left-handed version of the 2014 Naga).

You're looking for that kind of mouse, right? There are links in the article if you need them for some reason.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

IslamoNazi posted:

Hosting is MS so I assume they've got enough bandwidth but can host elsewhere if that's not cool

It's not cool no matter who the host is unless it is your own or a site that is made for that like imgur.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

hooah posted:

I have no idea what you mean. However, it seems like it just took (significantly) longer than expected to start; interviews started at something like 35 minutes.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Fd38SkgNkFY

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

??

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Hummingbirds posted:

I guess I'm wondering what happens if two people directly across the intersection stop at the same time. That's the situation in which I've seen the chicken thing happen.

Then you use game theory. As I recall, chapter one of this book (first printing, back in 1992 or so) was an exhaustive analysis of exactly this situation.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Peristalsis posted:

Then you use game theory. As I recall, chapter one of this book (first printing, back in 1992 or so) was an exhaustive analysis of exactly this situation.

Or instead of applying "Game Theory", the person going left yields to the person not going left, like the 4 posters after the OP said.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

baquerd posted:

Yeah, and I think you should get the gently caress out of the way even if it means speeding for a bit.

Well if you are in the left-most lane, and there is someone on your right for more than a few seconds, you didn't belong in that lane anyway.

More simply, if there is someone within 100 feet behind you and gaining in the left lane, you should be getting out of their way.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is anyone aware of a creation myth where a god consumes their own semen, I have a faint recollection of hearing about this but I'm not sure if I'm misremembering the role of Atum in the heliopolitan creation story?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

bvoid posted:

Or instead of applying "Game Theory", the person going left yields to the person not going left, like the 4 posters after the OP said.

Unless both cars are "turning left", in which case there's no "clear right-of-way", which is the specific case this book's "chapter" examines in amusing "detail".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Is anyone aware of a creation myth where a god consumes their own semen, I have a faint recollection of hearing about this but I'm not sure if I'm misremembering the role of Atum in the heliopolitan creation story?

I can't find this other than something about Ra's jizz turning into Egyptian gods which is cool I guess.

But I did find dilemmas from misguided Catholics about eating their cum to avoid sinning:

quote:

I try to pray and sometimes the desire goes away, but by the end of the day, I can't help busting my nut. Sso if I eat the sperm, and it goes back in my body, is it still a sin?

Please help! My Father said his priest told him when he was a young boy to jerk off every morning before leaving the house so he would not have impure thoughts, and he should recycle his jizzim, so it would be acceptable in the eyes of God.

Edit: Holy poo poo, there's more!

quote:

Chris believes that by ingesting his own sperm he can "recycle" it, so that none of his potential children are lost, and so that his "semen count" (presumably he meant "sperm count") remains high, as though everyone is born with a finite number of sperm that they can eventually run out of if they don't swallow more.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 23, 2015

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
jesus, chris

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to send a bunch of medical records electronically, while remaining HIPAA compliant, if it has to be done today, assuming you haven't previously set up a business agreement with a third-party dropbox-style service?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tuyop posted:

I can't find this other than something about Ra's jizz turning into Egyptian gods which is cool I guess.

But I did find dilemmas from misguided Catholics about eating their cum to avoid sinning:

Edit: Holy poo poo, there's more!

Thanks!
I think I found what I wanted although it's in Tefnut's article rather than Atum's, loving wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefnut#Mythological_origins

http://www.experience-ancient-egypt.com/egyptian-creation-myth.html
"I had union with my hand, and I embraced my shadow in a love embrace; I poured seed into my own mouth and I sent forth from myself issue in the form of the Gods Shu and Tefnut."

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Thanatosian posted:

Is there any way to send a bunch of medical records electronically, while remaining HIPAA compliant, if it has to be done today, assuming you haven't previously set up a business agreement with a third-party dropbox-style service?

Don't quote me on this but I think if you put a disclaimer in the body of the email that says it is confidential information and not to read it unless you are the intended recipient, that provides some level of protection. Then attach the stuff you need to send.

If you are faxing it you just need a cover sheet that says it is confidential with the sending and receiving info included that goes on top.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Koivunen posted:

Don't quote me on this but I think if you put a disclaimer in the body of the email that says it is confidential information and not to read it unless you are the intended recipient, that provides some level of protection. Then attach the stuff you need to send.

If you are faxing it you just need a cover sheet that says it is confidential with the sending and receiving info included that goes on top.
I probably should have specified: "a bunch" is about 300,000 pages.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I probably should have specified: "a bunch" is about 300,000 pages.

The law office where I work uses password protected .pdf files for this sort of thing, email the client the .pdfs or a link to the .pdfs (as would be in your case) then call the recipient and give them the password, once they verify some personal credentials. It's supposedly safe enough for attorney-client confidentiality, but I couldn't vouch for if it would be HIPPA acceptable.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Marathanes posted:

The law office where I work uses password protected .pdf files for this sort of thing, email the client the .pdfs or a link to the .pdfs (as would be in your case) then call the recipient and give them the password, once they verify some personal credentials. It's supposedly safe enough for attorney-client confidentiality, but I couldn't vouch for if it would be HIPPA acceptable.

I work in Healthcare IT (for a health information exchange, no less) and I can tell you that this is not acceptable practice for most places, and I'm not sure if it's allowed under HIPAA. A password protected file is not secure to a determined intruder.

HIPAA requires that encryption be in place any time that it is reasonable to do so. So it must be encrypted if it is going to travel over any public infrastructure, such as the internet, without an encrypted tunnel. If I had to move data of that nature over the internet, the simplest way would be to zip together the files, and encrypt the zip. You could email it or FTP it like that fairly safely. Phone call for the encryption key.

If you don't have encryption software, you can just use SFTP, which is encrypted by nature of using certificates, but you still have to perform a certificate exchange to make sure there's no middle-man attack.

The very simplest way, is to put it on a thumb drive, encrypt the drive and mail it/sneakernet. Then call with the encryption password.

ninja: This is a pretty decent summary: http://resource.onlinetech.com/encrypting-data-to-meet-hipaa-compliance/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dragyn posted:

I work in Healthcare IT (for a health information exchange, no less) and I can tell you that this is not acceptable practice for most places, and I'm not sure if it's allowed under HIPAA. A password protected file is not secure to a determined intruder.

HIPAA requires that encryption be in place any time that it is reasonable to do so. So it must be encrypted if it is going to travel over any public infrastructure, such as the internet, without an encrypted tunnel. If I had to move data of that nature over the internet, the simplest way would be to zip together the files, and encrypt the zip. You could email it or FTP it like that fairly safely. Phone call for the encryption key.

If you don't have encryption software, you can just use SFTP, which is encrypted by nature of using certificates, but you still have to perform a certificate exchange to make sure there's no middle-man attack.

The very simplest way, is to put it on a thumb drive, encrypt the drive and mail it/sneakernet. Then call with the encryption password.

ninja: This is a pretty decent summary: http://resource.onlinetech.com/encrypting-data-to-meet-hipaa-compliance/
My boss really wants it up on something Dropbox-style, and from what I've read, it seems like that requires some sort of business associate agreement, which we don't really have time to get, as he wants it up by end-of-business.

I don't know how accurate that is, or if encrypting it throwing it up on a private Google Drive would suffice...? My HIPAA training was about six years ago, and that poo poo changes hella fast.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

My boss really wants it up on something Dropbox-style, and from what I've read, it seems like that requires some sort of business associate agreement, which we don't really have time to get, as he wants it up by end-of-business.

I don't know how accurate that is, or if encrypting it throwing it up on a private Google Drive would suffice...? My HIPAA training was about six years ago, and that poo poo changes hella fast.

Apparently Box is supposed to be Enterprise level cloud services in the style of dropbox/google drive/onedrive. Never used, can't recommend. v0v

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I sold a house last year. Will I get a tax form from... someone... with the details of the transaction for my tax return, or do I need to cobble it together from the closing documents myself?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dragyn posted:

A password protected file is not secure to a determined intruder.

Is anything? :crossarms:

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Cloud services are largely considered insecure, since you do not control the data at rest at that point. You'd definitely need a BAA at the least, but I'm still not sure the HIPAA gods would be ok with that. You'd really need a compliance lawyer to address that.

SFTP is the method of choice because there's no third party involved.

Tiggum posted:

Is anything? :crossarms:

Well, no. But AES encryption is the standard, while a passworded, unencrypted file is far more vulnerable.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Thanatosian posted:

Dragyn posted:

Cloud services are largely considered insecure, since you do not control the data at rest at that point. You'd definitely need a BAA at the least, but I'm still not sure the HIPAA gods would be ok with that. You'd really need a compliance lawyer to address that.

I know it's too late for today, but I believe that Amazon's AWS infrastructure is certified HIPPA-compliant. If this is a thing you need to do regularly, S3 might be worth investigating.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

stubblyhead posted:

I sold a house last year. Will I get a tax form from... someone... with the details of the transaction for my tax return, or do I need to cobble it together from the closing documents myself?

If you are in the US bug your realtor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there some authority or collection of good/genuine/sourced blogs out there? On SA maybe? I'm looking for blogs about history, society, this kind of stuff.

edit: or even just official blogs.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 24, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know the roll of flab that hangs over the waist of women's pants is called a muffin top, but what about the flab that hangs over the top of their bra straps? Is that also considered a muffin top, or is there another, more appropriate, term for it?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I know the roll of flab that hangs over the waist of women's pants is called a muffin top, but what about the flab that hangs over the top of their bra straps? Is that also considered a muffin top, or is there another, more appropriate, term for it?

I've heard that called back boob.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Mike and Molly fanfic.txt

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Irish Joe posted:

Back: back boobs, front:Picasso boobs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kurtofan posted:

Is there some authority or collection of good/genuine/sourced blogs out there? On SA maybe? I'm looking for blogs about history, society, this kind of stuff.

edit: or even just official blogs.

I found this blog, looks interesting: http://usreligion.blogspot.fr/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The liquor store near me has had a $5.00 minimum for credit card transactions for a while, but about a year ago they started accepting debit card pin transactions. The lady got mad at me today because I wanted to use my debit card + pin to pay for a $2 purchase, which I thought would be OK since I didn't think that credit card transaction fees would apply if it was run as debit. Are there still fees if using a debit card w/ pin?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

The liquor store near me has had a $5.00 minimum for credit card transactions for a while, but about a year ago they started accepting debit card pin transactions. The lady got mad at me today because I wanted to use my debit card + pin to pay for a $2 purchase, which I thought would be OK since I didn't think that credit card transaction fees would apply if it was run as debit. Are there still fees if using a debit card w/ pin?

Yes there are fees associated with any electronic payment. For some businesses the fees vary based on type of transaction and creditor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

And they are not allowed to limit the transaction amount to a certain dollar amount or higher for cc transactions, per their cc processor agreement (which the credit card companies strong arm the processors into agreeing with / enforcing). If a business tries to do this, contact Visa / MC or your issuing bank and file a complaint. Much like if a company gets too many charge-backs, if there are enough complaints about a retailer following this practice their cc processor will drop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

And they are not allowed to limit the transaction amount to a certain dollar amount or higher for cc transactions, per their cc processor agreement (which the credit card companies strong arm the processors into agreeing with / enforcing). If a business tries to do this, contact Visa / MC or your issuing bank and file a complaint. Much like if a company gets too many charge-backs, if there are enough complaints about a retailer following this practice their cc processor will drop them.

This changed in 2010 or there about. You can require up to a 10$ minimum.
And if we wanted to get persnickity a merchant could just refuse sales under an arbitrary amount.