Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

For fans of Broken Token's organizers, their updated 7 Wonders box insert is available now.

Thanks, the wife will be super happy about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what's the consensus of Cosmic Encounter?

It's an old game and it shows. Can be fun with the right crowd but there are better games which achieve the same goal. SUSD love it 'cause they're all about theme.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know how a Cold War soundtrack should be anything other than 80's music but to each their own :confused:

the cold war was a lot longer than the decade that produced some of the worst pop music in history

also twilight struggle is a long rear end game and multiple straight hours of 80s music would make me want to trigger a global thermonuclear war just to embrace sweet, sweet silence

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 24, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what's the consensus of Cosmic Encounter?

Important game for historical reasons, but I wouldn't suggest you go watch that that movie with the train coming right at the camera.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Me and the wife have been playing through D&D Castle Ravenloft. While its a good introduction to D&D's basic mechanics, it's...not good. The instructions have huge holes in them and the encounters mechanic seems deliberately broken. What's a good dungeon crawler to move on to? Descent seems to be the most high profile if nothing else.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Descent 2e or Mage Knight if unlike the guy from a couple of pages back you can get over Mage Knight's monsters not moving. Mage Knight is by far a better game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

We have liked it for our first four plays but after last night we are wondering if the trading strategy is just too strong. What I mean by too strong is that to counter it, players will have to go out of their way. Now, one main thing is that we were playing with three, and I suspect three is not a good number for the game. One player tried the harvest strategy and he lost by like 40 points to the trading strategy. If the game really is nothing but who builds the most trade posts then while it would still be good, I'd certainly not take it with me to a desert island and it will probably get sold long before the kickstarter comes through.

If you corner the buildings that give development points or cut someone off from Scholars, you have to get fewer Trading Posts and Citizens to win. Your opponent can still get DPs from building canals on the Beneficial Deeds board, but every DP he takes there is points lost from not taking money.

Having played Orleans a few times now, I see several strategies:

1) Goods rush. You ignore development and hence TPs in favour of racing round the board as much as possible collecting the highest value goods. You will rush buy Knights and Boatmen in the hope of getting the two Citizens there for a few extra points, also Farmers to score from the census and get more goods. You'll also want to pick up at least one Trader for a goods generation building - two if you have access to the Tavern/Depot promos, as the Depot is specifically designed to aid this strategy. You may also want to build the Sacristy if you can, as this strategy is very vulnerable to Taxation. Horse Wagon is nice for extra moves as well, though not quite essential as you should have plenty of Farmers.

2) Development rush. The aim here is to sprint up the track buying Scholars and Monks to grab the Citizens en route and make them all worth 6 points. Your first building will be the Hospital, but the Library is worth grabbing too. Culling to the Beneficial Deeds board is important for getting Citizens, but you can afford to snipe rather than try to fill everything. This strategy declines in value if Income events come out early.

3) Better Living Through Technology. In this strategy you'll be buying mainly Craftsmen, Traders and Monks to get as many of the points-generating buildings as possible. Laboratory is a must, of course, but Windmill, Cellar and Brewery are also on your shopping list. Cull your bag as much as possible so you can activate all three of them every turn, leaving your basic workers parked on the board if necessary. This strategy is probably the most flexible, as you can use it as a launchpad for any other depending how the events go.

4) Trading Post spam. This is really a hybrid of Goods rush and Development rush. You need to get some distance up the Development track or your TPs aren't worth much, so you won't be moving as far or as often. Declines in value if Market Day events come out early.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Descent 2e or Mage Knight if unlike the guy from a couple of pages back you can get over Mage Knight's monsters not moving. Mage Knight is by far a better game.

I have staticphobia :(

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

Get there early. Between midday and 1 it started getting hard to see a free table.

Check the website for the list of games. For a business started on Kick starter, they have surprisingly little web presence. They have a blog, but only two posts since they started in November.

Eat a big breakfast.

Thanks for the tips, we got there at 11ish when it was about half empty, but filled up quick and about lunchtime I think you would have to wait for a table.

I did enjoy it a fair bit more than I was expecting - their selection was great and they had nice big tables with a kind of extra layer underneath to keep the boxes. It did get very loud towards the end of the day, all the walls are brick/concrete which I think amplified it.

Trip report:

We were there for about 9 hours, and played pandemic, Agricola, power grid and dominion. Pandemic and gric we were set up by a Canadian guy who really knew his stuff, which was great - I've played Agricola before but my friends hadn't, and he gave them a few pointers to get on the same level.

Power grid we were set up by someone who didn't seem to know the game as well as she thought - several pretty fundamental rules weren't explained correctly, and we had to restart after the first turn and a half because of it. She also told us the end/win condition incorrectly (first to power 17 cities rather than most cities powered when someone hits 17) which meant the game played out in what I have to assume was a very weird and wrong way.

Other than that I had a great time. Their food was okay but only really lunch stuff like sandwiches and snacks. If you're in London and it's not too hard to get to it's definitely worth a visit and I'll definitely be going back.

Presented without comment:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sadsack posted:

Me and the wife have been playing through D&D Castle Ravenloft. While its a good introduction to D&D's basic mechanics, it's...not good. The instructions have huge holes in them and the encounters mechanic seems deliberately broken. What's a good dungeon crawler to move on to? Descent seems to be the most high profile if nothing else.

Claustrophobia.

I'm a big Descent fan but Claustrophobia hits 90% of Descent's high notes in 25% of the time, rules, and setup.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like someone put CitOW back on the wrong shelf after their game.

The category labels are above the shelves right?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sadsack posted:

You're out of luck because the D&D adventure game series are by far the most tolerable fantasy SWAT team games, unless you like dexterity games, in which check out Catacombs. Both editions of Descent have their own share of issues, I would heavily recommend trying them before buying.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zark the Damned posted:

Tigris & Euphrates is there too.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

thespaceinvader posted:

How is imperial assault compared to descent? Not exactly DND but I've heard they improved a few things.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zark the Damned posted:

I think it's best we just tell ourselves that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sinlaeshel posted:

I picked up Dungeon Lords Anniversary edition. The rule book seems... overwhelming. Even before you factor in any expansions.

My copy literally hasn't cleared customs yet. Death to Europe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How is imperial assault compared to descent? Not exactly DND but I've heard they improved a few things.

Couldn't say, haven't played it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyone for a game of terra mystica: http://terra.snellman.net/

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

You're out of luck because the D&D adventure game series are by far the most tolerable fantasy SWAT team games, unless you like dexterity games, in which check out Catacombs. Both editions of Descent have their own share of issues, I would heavily recommend trying them before buying.

Yeah pretty much this. Mage Knight's very similar to being a dungeon crawler, but according to some it doesn't quite fit the bill. Maybe try Wrath of Asherdalon or Legend of Drizzt, Castle Raveloft was the first game in the series and presumably they would have fixed some of the weird poo poo. Otherwise Descent's OKish (apparently 2e's pretty much categorically better than 1e but I haven't done much more than look at either).

Tekopo posted:

Anyone for a game of terra mystica: http://terra.snellman.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

It's an old game and it shows. Can be fun with the right crowd but there are better games which achieve the same goal. SUSD love it 'cause they're all about theme.

I think it's much more that they value strong social interaction and politics and Cosmic Encounter is very much in that vein, even though there's little actual meat to the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Yeah pretty much this. Mage Knight's very similar to being a dungeon crawler, but according to some it doesn't quite fit the bill. Maybe try Wrath of Asherdalon or Legend of Drizzt, Castle Raveloft was the first game in the series and presumably they would have fixed some of the weird poo poo. Otherwise Descent's OKish (apparently 2e's pretty much categorically better than 1e but I haven't done much more than look at either).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU
is that a yes?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I think it's much more that they value strong social interaction and politics and Cosmic Encounter is very much in that vein, even though there's little actual meat to the game.

It's so stupid because CE's like the single worst game possible for social interaction and politics. Outside of "Well Quinns hosed me last game so I'm going to make sure he loses" the only basis you've got for political interaction is "well which side of the randomly generated encounter is closer to winning the game?" and then go with the other. You can't even do a Catan-style well I'll give you six wood for a sheep just to gently caress the other guy, it's pretty much just try to be part of the n-1 bloc that's going to win the game instead of the one guy that's going to lose.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

is that a yes?

Yeah sure, give me a minute to finish registering an account.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's two. Anyone else? Newbies welcome to be ruthlessly crushed so that they can learn the rules.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Fungah! posted:

Yeah sure, give me a minute to finish registering an account.

Is it a real time thing, or more pbf pace?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

How long do games usually take? I'd like to learn Terra Mystica at some point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think it's a pbem but you can play real time like that Through the Ages implementation. Game takes about 2 hours I guess? But we can always have it go slowly/PbEM anyway if we dont finish in one sitting.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Tekopo posted:

I think it's a pbem but you can play real time like that Through the Ages implementation. Game takes about 2 hours I guess?

Cool. In that case, I'll give it a go

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'd be up for it too if there's still spots

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright let me know your usernames on the website once you are registered up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't mind taking five but I would suggest people at least get an understanding of the rules, or join me either on #boardgoons on synirc or skype for rule explanation.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
if there space and you can wait till half past I'm in.

edit Names the same

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Alright let me know your usernames on the website once you are registered up.

Username is danccrook because I'm sick as hell and forgot to use a fake name.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Username is Aston, I'm in #boardgoons but I've played it before.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind taking five but I would suggest people at least get an understanding of the rules, or join me either on #boardgoons on synirc or skype for rule explanation.

In as tarbrush. What's the IRC server?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I've got skype on here if you don't mind me hacking up a lung. Otherwise I'll go get an IRC client

e: skype is danccrook at gmail dot com

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 25, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The server is SYNIRC :v:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Using mibbit. Anyhoo, am on skype at tarbrush (at) gmail.com

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fungah! posted:

It's so stupid because CE's like the single worst game possible for social interaction and politics. Outside of "Well Quinns hosed me last game so I'm going to make sure he loses" the only basis you've got for political interaction is "well which side of the randomly generated encounter is closer to winning the game?" and then go with the other. You can't even do a Catan-style well I'll give you six wood for a sheep just to gently caress the other guy, it's pretty much just try to be part of the n-1 bloc that's going to win the game instead of the one guy that's going to lose.

In the most recent podcast they waxed enthusiastic about the way perceived value of powers encouraged shutting various people out and stuff like that. To me, nothing they're getting excited about is engendered by the design of the game and almost all of it is the way they interact with their friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

If you corner the buildings that give development points or cut someone off from Scholars, you have to get fewer Trading Posts and Citizens to win. Your opponent can still get DPs from building canals on the Beneficial Deeds board, but every DP he takes there is points lost from not taking money.

Having played Orleans a few times now, I see several strategies:

1) Goods rush. You ignore development and hence TPs in favour of racing round the board as much as possible collecting the highest value goods. You will rush buy Knights and Boatmen in the hope of getting the two Citizens there for a few extra points, also Farmers to score from the census and get more goods. You'll also want to pick up at least one Trader for a goods generation building - two if you have access to the Tavern/Depot promos, as the Depot is specifically designed to aid this strategy. You may also want to build the Sacristy if you can, as this strategy is very vulnerable to Taxation. Horse Wagon is nice for extra moves as well, though not quite essential as you should have plenty of Farmers.

2) Development rush. The aim here is to sprint up the track buying Scholars and Monks to grab the Citizens en route and make them all worth 6 points. Your first building will be the Hospital, but the Library is worth grabbing too. Culling to the Beneficial Deeds board is important for getting Citizens, but you can afford to snipe rather than try to fill everything. This strategy declines in value if Income events come out early.

3) Better Living Through Technology. In this strategy you'll be buying mainly Craftsmen, Traders and Monks to get as many of the points-generating buildings as possible. Laboratory is a must, of course, but Windmill, Cellar and Brewery are also on your shopping list. Cull your bag as much as possible so you can activate all three of them every turn, leaving your basic workers parked on the board if necessary. This strategy is probably the most flexible, as you can use it as a launchpad for any other depending how the events go.

4) Trading Post spam. This is really a hybrid of Goods rush and Development rush. You need to get some distance up the Development track or your TPs aren't worth much, so you won't be moving as far or as often. Declines in value if Market Day events come out early.

Thanks Jedit, the other player tried the goods rush but he didn't do anything on the development track and I think that's what really hurt him the most. This is great!