Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm glad both the blue/red Ascendancies turned out to be Combo enablers, feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its still funny the Sultai one only does one thing that's not even good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like it could be really good in the right deck but I'm not smart enough to figure out what the deck is. It's essentially Scry 2 every upkeep that also feeds Delve spells and any sort of graveyard-based trickery.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Scry 2 is pretty good, and it was close to good enough for Thassa last standard.

If it became a body or cantripped it would probably be played.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Temur Ascendancy combo guy just won without even using his combo. He just won with Nissa Beatdown :lol:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Brad was at 6 life and had 4 Caryatids to block 2 4/4 Tramplers. He chooses to chump block one each with a Caryatid, instead of double blocking 2 Caryatids on each and not taking trample damage. Dies to exact damage next turn. Dumb.

That match had everything I love. A sweet new brew I had never seen before, and Brad Nelson losing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Brad was at 6 life and had 4 Caryatids to block 2 4/4 Tramplers. He chooses to chump block one each with a Caryatid, instead of double blocking 2 Caryatids on each and not taking trample damage. Dies to exact damage next turn. Dumb.

That match had everything I love. A sweet new brew I had never seen before, and Brad Nelson losing.

He needed the mana to cast Read the Bones to dig for a Hornet Queen which would have won him the game, but that doesn't seem like it would matter, so I'm not sure what the deal was.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 25, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's w/ the Nelson hate in this thread?

(it's not like he wrote the book)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

He needed the mana to cast Read the Bones to dig for a Hornet Queen which would have won him the game, but that doesn't seem like it would matter, so I'm not sure what the deal was.

He still would have had the mana if he double blocked. Only one Caryatid would die either way, the only difference is that he doesn't take 2 very important damage which buys him an extra turn.

Rinkles posted:

What's w/ the Nelson hate in this thread?

(it's not like he wrote the book)
I find him extremely annoying in all the versus videos, he's very loud and obnoxious about his gloating whenever he wins a game. Conversely, whenever he's on stream, he doesn't seem to be even a little bit friendly towards his opponent. You could see that Temur Ascendancy guy trying to smile and make small talk between games, and Brad either frowns and says nothing, or gets up and walks off for 5 minutes.

qbert fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 25, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

He still would have had the mana if he double blocked. Only one Caryatid would die either way, the only difference is that he doesn't take 2 very important damage which buys him an extra turn.
I think he didn't want to gamble the Caryatids (remember he doesn't know what's in his opponents deck because its a brew). I'm guessing he just figured he'd bank it all on getting the draw + the scry/draw and not risk the Caryatids to buy one more turn assuming Temur guy didn't do anything since he was going to draw and play a Read on his next turn.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he didn't want to gamble the Caryatids (remember he doesn't know what's in his opponents deck because its a brew). I'm guessing he just figured he'd bank it all on getting the draw + the scry/draw and not risk the Caryatids to buy one more turn assuming Temur guy didn't do anything since he was going to draw and play a Read on his next turn.

I think given that he saw 80% of his opponent's deck from the first two games because his opponent drew a million cards, and he knows his opponent isn't playing black, the correct play there is to double block no matter what. If his opponent plays something dumb like Become Immense, Brad is immediately dead by not double blocking. If his opponent plays some +2/+2 pump, a Hornet Queen wouldn't prevent enough Trample damage anyways.

Basically a pump spell there means you're dead no matter what, whereas no pump means you get an extra chance to draw and stabilize.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Some chick at FNM was complaining that it doesn't make any sense that Planeswalkers are stated to be unable just take other people with them to other planes, but then you, a Planeswalker player, can summon Heliod from Theros to fight Sidisi from Tarkir even though they are from different planes.

I....don't actually know why you can do that.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Some chick at FNM was complaining that it doesn't make any sense that Planeswalkers are stated to be unable just take other people with them to other planes, but then you, a Planeswalker player, can summon Heliod from Theros to fight Sidisi from Tarkir even though they are from different planes.

You can use the power of the land to summon someone to you for a short period of time however to actually bring someone along full time is not possible.

(I just made that up but it makes sense to me)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Cedric on Ali Aintrazi's deck with main deck Worst Fears:

He said that he had it in the sideboard, and never brought it in, so he put it in his main deck because he wanted to cast it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you cast a 'copy' of them? Not sure if that's the official justification, but I feel that it explains various stuff, like for example different versions of characters (Karn, Mikaeus, etc)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I think you cast a 'copy' of them? Not sure if that's the official justification, but I feel that it explains various stuff, like for example different versions of characters (Karn, Mikaeus, etc)

It's something about the memory of them, yeah.

It's also a really dumb and arbitrary thing, especially when there actually are non-planeswalkers with the ability to do it already.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I think you're supposed to be, like, summoning an incarnation of your memory of someone you've encountered on your wizardly journey.

I feel like there was a description of this that even went so far as to explain why you could summon a specific incarnation of Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, but not Jeff, the Loyal Cathar Who Did Nothing Then Died somewhere on the mothership once but I have no idea where anymore. Something like you could make a more vivid incarnation of someone important to their plane.

(efb, mostly.)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

He still could have done that though is the thing. A 4/4 blocking two 0/3s does 3 damage to one, and 1 damage to the other. If he was worried about a pump spell killing 2 caryatids, he should have been more worried about the pump spell killing him.

Angry Grimace posted:

Summoning a legendary creature is creating a copy of it. You can't maintain two copies of them because it feels weird and is hard to focus/maintain both. When you summon Avacyn, she is not coming through a portal to help you slap fight a wizard, she is still on Innistrad fighting skeletons, or whatever she does.

Playing a Planeswalker, is actually calling them to your aid. It's why they have unique names, compared to legendary creatures where sufficiently different versions can be maintained, Sarkhan Vol, and Sarkhan The Mad cannot both exist at the same time.

The reason your opponent can control a Jace, while you control one, is because this is a card game, and the rules being special/different would be more confusing than it already is.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Easiest explanation: I'm still a premending planeswalker unlike these wussy neowalkers. Anytime I feel like it, I can rip a neowalker in half. Also true for the concept of the wrath of god and plated slagwurm, krosan cloudscraper, etc. I'm so badass.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Easier Explanation: It's a movie, I really should relax

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not been watching the whole SCG stream, has anyone done anything with Alesha or warrior tribal yet?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not been watching the whole SCG stream, has anyone done anything with Alesha or warrior tribal yet?

I'm watching the Super Sunday on the MTG channel and a lot of monastery mentor action going off

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

forbidden lesbian posted:

Easier Explanation: It's a movie, I really should relax

Also the best explanation.

Okay the Temur ascendancy combo looks janky and awesome as hell.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 25, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AceClown posted:

I'm watching the Super Sunday on the MTG channel and a lot of monastery mentor action going off

Monastery Mentor is pretty awesome. He eats about the same amount of removal as Rabblemaster, but the token he often leaves behind is typically better than what Rabblemaster leaves behind. Sure, its possible to never actually get one out before he dies, but usually you don't get a Rabblemaster token out before he dies in the same scenario.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Monastery Mentor is pretty awesome. He eats about the same amount of removal as Rabblemaster, but the token he often leaves behind is typically better than what Rabblemaster leaves behind. Sure, its possible to never actually get one out before he dies, but usually you don't get a Rabblemaster token out before he dies in the same scenario.

I also like Mardu Strike Leader too, dashs out after a wipe and shits out a 2/1 before bouncing back.

It's also good for poors like me who can't afford a set of rabblemasters :v

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Ali Aintrazi will be on camera on SCG this coming round. I want to see a Worst Fears cast for insane value.

Edit: He's playing against mono-red aggro, so, bummer.

Devor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Someone please talk me out of getting a playset of Monastery Mentor because I'm really tempted to go get one

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone please talk me out of getting a playset of Monastery Mentor because I'm really tempted to go get one

One of my friends at FNM bought a playset for $120 for R/W Aggro.

He went 2-3 at said FNM.

Good enough? :haw:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Overhyped. Will go down. There's a chance it's never played in eternal formats.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It is funny seeing prowess poo poo all over heroic. God drat is Theros terrible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

God drat is Theros terrible.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You're basically a walking version of the Greater Grail, except you pull copies from everywhere. :v:

And yeah, Mentor is going to drop. Moreso than, say, Brimaz. Either way, I would imagine a lot of people are playing him wrong. Mentor isn't a 3-drop. He's a four or five drop that you follow up with cheap removal. He's slower than Rabblemaster, but what he leaves behind is more powerful.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It is funny seeing prowess poo poo all over heroic. God drat is Theros terrible.

Theros? All I remember is ThreeWalkersOneDragon, followed by The Cat, the Centaur, and the Mermaid, and Catwalker's Date With Destiny Co.Starring God of the Storms.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

One of my friends at FNM bought a playset for $120 for R/W Aggro.

He went 2-3 at said FNM.

Good enough? :haw:

I used two of them and went 2-3 also, if that helps. But I'm Bad at Magic™ so that's a consideration. But sticking a Mentor followed by a Sorin is something that won't get old fast. Maybe for the opponent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Haha. Chandra for the last point!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a green/temur combo deck that gets infinite mana off of green devotion and Karametra's Acolyte, use the mana with the Sabertooth to return the Acolyte, cast it again, get more mana, cast it again, etc. since it has haste with Ascendancy. Genesis Hydra is either a huge beater or fetches the combo guys. Also can use Singing Bell Strike to untap the Acolyte assuming devotion is over 6.

Cool. I saw a couple decks like on salvation but some of them splashed black for wealth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wow is Frontier Siege a lot better than I gave it credit for. It's 4 extra mana a turn or a board wipe with your Hornet Queen if you have a copy of Siege down already? Seems good.

AlternateNu posted:

Haha. Chandra for the last point!

Yeah that was a great win, I thought Ali was at 6 though?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah that was a great win, I thought Ali was at 6 though?

He ate 5 points of burn end of turn

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

qbert posted:

I find him extremely annoying in all the versus videos, he's very loud and obnoxious about his gloating whenever he wins a game. Conversely, whenever he's on stream, he doesn't seem to be even a little bit friendly towards his opponent. You could see that Temur Ascendancy guy trying to smile and make small talk between games, and Brad either frowns and says nothing, or gets up and walks off for 5 minutes.

I play at Roanoke every now and then and this is accurate. He's great pals with his friends but otherwise is unfriendly towards those he perceives as non-regulars (who he might see as outside threats or filthy casuals, idk), especially when you beat him in one of the IQ events they regularly hold. Then when he is out of the running he saunters off with Todd and they talk about hitting the gym later. Mysteriously they never do. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Evan Erwin's SCG snake oil pitches are my #MTGpetpeeve.

• Locked thread