Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger

Flesh Forge posted:

See you're trying to start this from an objective value judgement but everyone else is simply pragmatic about it. The threat of pvp to someone who would prefer to avoid it (which, in RPGs, is very nearly every person) is simply a risk to be brought as close to zero as possible. There are two basic alternatives: make pvp more appealing to that 99% who hates it in its common form, or force them to endure it anyway. Guess which technique Shadowbane and various other flopped pvp games have always tried.

e - And please note: I think pvp is awesome in a general sense. It's just that RPGs are almost always the absolute worst environment for pvp, partly because if inherent balance problems due to level bracketing, but mostly because RPGs are about farming flawless combinations of gear, and the overlap between people who a) want to pvp and b1) are willing to do all the bullshit non-pvp leveling and gear farming or b2) are OK with getting mashed if they aren't, is not all that large, in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't help that people trying RPG PVP for the first time are almost always going to get an overwhelmingly negative experience (because it's usually unfair by design, and being defeated is punished) and give up on it immediately, and never touch it again.

So what's the point of even having an RPG then if you're forced into the role of Legolas the Nice-Guy from Law-Abiding-Citizenville. Set aside notions about gear, leveling, etc. -- You're telling me there's no room in the market for an RPG that affords you the freedom to actually roleplay a bad guy or a good guy? I think there is room and I think it can be done. Shadowbane was an unhealthy extreme for a lot of reasons already mentioned in this thread but I don't think everyone can just point to Shadowbane as the example of how there is no future for pvp MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Tell me how farming gear and making xp bars go from left to right repeatedly has anything at all to do with roleplaying the good guy or bad guy, or roleplaying in any sense at all.

note: I actually enjoy farming gear and making xp bars go from left to right, but to me these activities are very distant from roleplaying (and pvp).

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

RPG is an acronym that means jack poo poo sort of like MMO.

I was roleplaying as a space marine in the RPG Halo recently.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RPG is meaningless in itself but over time developed different conventions including the progression over time of the main character and game mechanics being directed at least in part by smashing one set of statistics against another whether overtly or behind the scenes.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

rage at me posted:

So what's the point of even having an RPG then if you're forced into the role of Legolas the Nice-Guy from Law-Abiding-Citizenville. Set aside notions about gear, leveling, etc. -- You're telling me there's no room in the market for an RPG that affords you the freedom to actually roleplay a bad guy or a good guy? I think there is room and I think it can be done. Shadowbane was an unhealthy extreme for a lot of reasons already mentioned in this thread but I don't think everyone can just point to Shadowbane as the example of how there is no future for pvp MMOs.

I remember reading an article a long time ago about why "evil" players were ruining UO because for the majority of them being evil meant acting like a complete psychopath. For them, roleplaying an evil character meant nothing more than leveraging game mechanics to inflict the maximum amount of grief and time-loss possible on players who were, more often than not, total strangers. For every bandit running a toll-bridge roleplay session there were 10 people who would just kill anyone if they thought they could get away with it, corpse camped, or otherwise made it a point to gently caress someone's poo poo up and waste hundreds of hours worth of time invested. It's not hard to figure out why open-world PvP games have a hard time maintaining healthy populations of players who aren't all internet sociopaths.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

For every bandit running a toll-bridge roleplay session there were 10 people who would just kill anyone if they thought they could get away with it...

In my experience with UO this was more like 1 to 100. Literally the only people I ever ran into who mixed RP with PVP were the Orc dudes, who were fun, but every other pvp encounter I had was with silent gank squads.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
:holymoley:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/979-012215-the-crowfall-universe-economycrafting-raph-koster/

quote:

I am delighted to (finally) reveal our ongoing collaboration with Raph Koster. For those of you not familiar with Raph, he is one of the most renowned and experienced MMO designers in the world. He was the lead designer on both Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies from inception through launch; two games which really "set the bar" for crafting systems in a virtual world.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

In my experience with UO this was more like 1 to 100. Literally the only people I ever ran into who mixed RP with PVP were the Orc dudes, who were fun, but every other pvp encounter I had was with silent gank squads.

Well, there was that lady who roleplayed a witty thief and managed to grief people like crazy without ever breaking character.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a medical mystery posted:

Well, there was that lady who roleplayed a witty thief and managed to grief people like crazy without ever breaking character.

belan

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah that's the name

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im probably going to buy into this whenever they allow suckers like me to pay for it

its just so early at this point that i can't bring myself to read the official forums or anything really

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

i can't bring myself to read the official forums or anything really

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
at least its not asking for a bunch of furry races tho

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Eonwe posted:

im probably going to buy into this whenever they allow suckers like me to pay for it

its just so early at this point that i can't bring myself to read the official forums or anything really

For every terrible new mmo there is somebody willing to throw money at devs with horrible track records and no recent experience

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

at least its not asking for a bunch of furry races tho

edit: thanks revolt

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 25, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

For every terrible new mmo there is somebody willing to throw money at devs with horrible track records and no recent experience

thats me!

Biowarfare posted:

btw good news i am joining the forum moderation team for game

nice, i will look forward to the inevitable closed beta key you PM to me for us being terrible game enthusiasts together

i was a forums janitor for the starbound forums and it was actually draining lmao

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Designer Dragon, the man who stood up at GDC and told everyone that player-killers needed to be ejected immediately to save your game, citing "broken windows" and the Stanford prison experiment. This should be quite a PVP MMO.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Puistokemisti posted:

What's the point of even having free loot if your gear is basically worthless?

The reward for killer is gently caress all and the dead person loses nothing. If they are both there to play PvP, then it's just an additional chore to run back to house/bank and grab a new set of studded leather and GM weapon before getting back to actual gameplay, how exciting.

Really, only people affected by that are players who don't have funds/supplies to get infinite gear, so pretty much new players.
Yeah I agree. There are many ways people get burned out of a game, and mindless repitition is one of them. If open world PvP is the core feature and yet death is essentially meaningless (other than relocating your avatar), and if killing someone only gives you the satisfaction of a kill and nothing else, all you're left with is TF2 on a very large map. Much better to have rare and expensive gear in a game where you can at least take that gear from someone else. It only poses a problem if the gear gives an absurd advantage, like on MMO private servers where donators get ridiculous gear.

You'd have to be a fool to not see this game will probably either be vaporware or a huge flop, but I'll anticipate and follow it all the same. Games like UO, SB, EVE, even Darkfall all contain fundamental concepts that can make for extremely fun and unique MMO experiences. Shadowbane was the first MMO I ever played and though it really sucked in a lot of ways, I can't help but compare every other MMO I play to it. So I at least have to give this a chance.

Also I seem to have better memories of Wolfpack's competence than I do Aventurine's, but that just might be the nostalgia talking.

Zarithas fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 24, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

I am delighted to (finally) reveal our ongoing collaboration with Raph Koster. For those of you not familiar with Raph, he is one of the most renowned and experienced MMO designers in the world. He was the lead designer on both Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies from inception through launch; two games which really "set the bar" for crafting systems in a virtual world.

you gotta be loving kidding me

Zarithas posted:

If open world PvP is the core feature and yet death is essentially meaningless (other than relocating your avatar), and if killing someone only gives you the satisfaction of a kill and nothing else, all you're left with is TF2 on a very large map.

Yeah no one wants a repeat of that failure of a flop that no one ever played amirite

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 24, 2015

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

you gotta be loving kidding me

Yeah no one wants a repeat of that failure of a flop that no one ever played amirite

TF2 is fun and is one of the few games I still play these days, but it's a totally different genre. You can't sell an open world PvP sandbox and have players open the box to find TF2. I think gear (or some analogue) with both value and potential for loss/theft is one of the most fundamental concepts for "cutthroat" style games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zarithas posted:

TF2 is fun and is one of the few games I still play these days, but it's a totally different genre. You can't sell an open world PvP sandbox and have players open the box to find TF2. I think gear (or some analogue) with both value and potential for loss/theft is one of the most fundamental concepts for "cutthroat" style games.

Planetside doesn't seem super different from the model, and it was fun when I played it in beta at least.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Planetside doesn't seem super different from the model, and it was fun when I played it in beta at least.

Disclaimer: I never played it so I may be completely talking out of my rear end.

One of the top complaints I read about it from some people I know was the pointlessness in PvP; not enough consequence to loss or death. Of course that style of game is going to be fun for a lot of people, but Shadowbane catered to people with a different mindset, and I think this game is as well. I personally lean towards the 100% player driven, high risk and reward style.

It's completely subjective if you like it or not, but if you advertise "cutthroat" I think that's a prerequisite. PS didn't advertise itself in such a way, so I think it is fundamentally different from the model.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't know what "cutthroat" means in this context exactly, but I don't remember anyone in PS making sure you had a sporting chance when they came across you, unless they were doing so in order to taunt you.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I'm really excited to play to crush in Diablo 2 Worlds.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Planetside is dumb, its just an FPS with a grind. What makes PVP fun in an MMO setting is the blending of PVP and PVE aspects, something planetside dodges entirely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zarithas posted:

... but Shadowbane catered to people with a different mindset, and I think this game is as well.

And as it turns out, the number of people with this mindset is not very large in the grand scheme of things, so I hope you like cash shops and pay to win because that's the only other way companies make a lot of money out of this "PLAY2CRUSH" paradigm.

e: I don't think there's another way actually

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

btw good news i am joining the forum moderation team for game

Oops, I meant to add: I was a mod on the original pre-beta Shadowbane forums, good luck (you're going to need it) :hfive:

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

And as it turns out, the number of people with this mindset is not very large in the grand scheme of things
I am very aware of that. It's unfortunate but it makes sense.

I'm still holding out hope that there'll eventually be a game by a good company with the polish of WoW and the mechanics of open world sandboxes like Eve and Shadowbane. This game very likely isn't it, but with good fortune it'll fill some gaps at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is it really too much to ask for a game that's just all the good parts of Eve Online on top of an actual game?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it really too much to ask for a game that's just all the good parts of Eve Online on top of an actual game?

Are there any good parts of Eve Online? I literally fell asleep playing that game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The thing is, the 99% of the account base that actively hates and avoids pvp in EVE is absolutely required to make it possible. If you had no bears, the ~~ ELITE PVPERS ~~ wouldn't have ships to fly, player-owned stations to dock in, etc.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

The thing is, the 99% of the account base that actively hates and avoids pvp in EVE is absolutely required to make it possible. If you had no bears, the ~~ ELITE PVPERS ~~ wouldn't have ships to fly, player-owned stations to dock in, etc.

Also the first thing somebody does when they get a capital ship is log out and never log in again

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

To maintain a large population (even 1/5 of EVE's current size), yes you would need to appeal to PvP-haters as well. But it's not true that the economy will suffer if they're not there.

Many players in games like these enjoy both PvP and crafting, and dedicate a lot of time to creating gear, siege weaponry, and vehicles and the resource harvesting necessary to do so. Since they see crafting as a specific means to an end (victory for themselves and their friends and clan), rather than just as a way to amass virtual Internet dubloons, they have plenty of incentive if not more so. Darkfall and Shadowbane both had pretty good economies and lots of crafters despite driving out just about all of the PvP avoiders.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to believe in this game but its gonna be bad

At least it brought zarithas out of his posting slumber

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I now have knowledge of this game and I am excited.

It is most likely bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They just need to make open PvP punishing as gently caress. The bulk of the players should be interested in doing other stuff. Devs and players alike all remember that time they got that sick kill on a player in UO but nobody remembers most people at the time didn't make their main focus PKing. As long as the primary audience is PvP then they'll only attract the same lovely small audience that will die in a month

A big section of the PvP crowd are ahitty whiny babies who want to kill players and steal their poo poo, but as soon as it happens to them they rage out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zarithas posted:

To maintain a large population (even 1/5 of EVE's current size), yes you would need to appeal to PvP-haters as well. But it's not true that the economy will suffer if they're not there.

Err what

I mean ok I guess if you had no bears in EVE you could pvp in noob ships, sure?

Eonwe posted:

They just need to make open PvP punishing as gently caress. The bulk of the players should be interested in doing other stuff. Devs and players alike all remember that time they got that sick kill on a player in UO but nobody remembers most people at the time didn't make their main focus PKing. As long as the primary audience is PvP then they'll only attract the same lovely small audience that will die in a month

A big section of the PvP crowd are ahitty whiny babies who want to kill players and steal their poo poo, but as soon as it happens to them they rage out.

Ahahaha see, you came right out and said what needs to be said: you want victims, you don't want pvp. This is why these PLAY 2 CRUSH games always fail, because the victim part sucks and you genuinely want it to suck. This paradigm has failed dozens of times now but just maybe it will work this time I dunno!!

e:

quote:

They just need to make open PvP punishing as gently caress.

I just can't get my head around how this dumb loving concept that has failed over and over and over, is the thing people pin their hopes on for making a popular, fun pvp game :confused:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 25, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It was fun renaming animals in UO, like, "bear" became "happy bear" and then you let it go.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Err what

I mean ok I guess if you had no bears in EVE you could pvp in noob ships, sure?

Ahahaha see, you came right out and said what needs to be said: you want victims, you don't want pvp. This is why these PLAY 2 CRUSH games always fail, because the victim part sucks and you genuinely want it to suck. This paradigm has failed dozens of times now but just maybe it will work this time I dunno!!

e:

I just can't get my head around how this dumb loving concept that has failed over and over and over, is the thing people pin their hopes on for making a popular, fun pvp game :confused:

what?

dude what are you even on

im saying the people that people who want to PK people should have some genuine consequences, where did I say I wanted victims? I'm saying the people who are attacking people should have to go through the punishing stuff

calm down weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also im going to buy into this as soon as they let you do so

I do this for all games and this one will be no different, bad or terrible or whatever it ends up being

• Locked thread