Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
http://www.play2crush.com/

:captainpop:

Press release:

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 22, 2014 —J. Todd Coleman (creative director of Shadowbane, Wizard101 and Pirate101) and Gordon Walton (executive producer of Ultima Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, Star Wars: the Old Republic) join forces to create new independent online game studio ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Founded by two of the most experienced executives in the history of online gaming, ArtCraft is dedicated to pushing the design of Massively Multiplayer Online games in bold new directions. A teaser website and signup page for ArtCraft’s first unannounced title is now live at http://www.play2crush.com.

"In the last decade, Gordon and I have had the opportunity to work with almost every game artist, designer and engineer in Austin,” said Coleman, CEO and creative director. “We drew on those contacts to recruit a team of all-stars – and we’re building something completely different, completely unique. We believe the MMO industry has grown stale. It’s time to create something new.”

Coleman brings a wealth of creative and entrepreneurial experience to ArtCraft. He founded Reliant Data Systems (acquired by Compuware Corporation in 1999), Wolfpack Studios, Inc. (acquired by Ubi Soft in 2004) and was the VP of production and creative director for KingsIsle Entertainment, Inc. As the co-creator and creative lead of Shadowbane, Wizard101 and Pirate101, Coleman has built a reputation for pushing the boundaries of MMO design. His games have received numerous awards (including Game of the Year, Audience Choice and Family Game of the Decade) and he was personally recognized by Gamasutra as one of the top 50 developers in the industry and by Massive Gamer magazine as the #1 Most Influential Game Developer in the World.

“Todd’s creative vision is what makes this partnership work, and my job is to ensure his vision gets realized,” said Gordon Walton, president and executive producer for ArtCraft. “Our mission is to create must-play experiences that redefine existing genres. We must delight and challenge players in equal measure.”

Walton has been building games and managing game development for more than 35 years, with the last 20 years managing massively multiplayer online games. He has been VP of online at Origin Systems, managing Ultima Online, VP and executive producer at Maxis, managing the Sims Online and VP and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment on Star Wars: Galaxies. Walton then went on to become the Co-studio GM at BioWare Austin, on Star Wars: The Old Republic and was most recently the VP and executive producer at Disney Playdom. Walton has personally developed more than 35 games and overseen the development of more than 200 games.

because bringing back dead failed mmos is sure to rake in the cash!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
I wouldn't say Shadowbane was a failure, it was pretty loving fun for it's time. I enjoy a game that punishes hard for PvP failure, it's just hard to get many people onboard with it these days.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
"its time to create wow but with permadeath"

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Thunderbro posted:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
holy fuckin poo poo that website lmfao

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So this is going to be the PVP equivalent of Wildstar where a group of old developers ignore the fact that player tastes and wants have changed in the decade-plus since Ultima Online, their audience has grown up and doesn't have straight days to devote to becoming a PVP master, and that regardless of what their online polls tell them most gamers don't actually want to risk everything they own?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you're kind of assuming this will actually see a release

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to play a bad game or at the least, post badly about a bad game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jimb posted:

it's just hard to get many people onboard with it these days.

This single phrase is what killed uo and daoc. Games like this are dead for good, move on people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenzarin posted:

This single phrase is what killed uo and daoc. Games like this are dead for good, move on people.

This time!

This time it will be different!

It won't be different at all

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I know I'm asking a question that should have an obvious answer

but in 62 days are they announcing their kickstarter or a beta

I know I shouldn't have to ask

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
100% the kickstarter

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pierson posted:

So this is going to be the PVP equivalent of Wildstar where a group of old developers ignore the fact that player tastes and wants have changed in the decade-plus since Ultima Online, their audience has grown up and doesn't have straight days to devote to becoming a PVP master, and that regardless of what their online polls tell them most gamers don't actually want to risk everything they own?
You could max level a character in Shadowbane in a few days. The game was never about a grind, except on the guild scale. If they stick to that it could work and appeal to the part time gamer. Similar to how Dayz works. You don't need a huge grind and major long term investment to develop attachment and consequence.

Thunderbro posted:

This is probably what we get though.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm going with the kickstarter, perhaps with an early alpha bonus to reel in the big fish.

I'm also pretty sure the mythical part time gamer isn't out there craving for some dickhead who plays all the time to roll over him and make him lose all his poo poo. Could be wrong but I'm not seeing a big market for Shadowbane a decade later.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This game was deep as gently caress, I had so much fun playing it.

The whole discipline idea was great...or whatever they were called.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
"ArtCraft"

Should have just called it "VIDEO GAME STUDIO", same level of creativity

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

play 2 crush

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Stanos posted:

I'm going with the kickstarter, perhaps with an early alpha bonus to reel in the big fish.

I'm also pretty sure the mythical part time gamer isn't out there craving for some dickhead who plays all the time to roll over him and make him lose all his poo poo. Could be wrong but I'm not seeing a big market for Shadowbane a decade later.

yeah it's like there's one MMO that listens very intently to player feedback on absolutely everything and it's the one with 9 million subscribers. can't wait to see the meltdown as another poop MMO trying to be different and cool sucks to play.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the possibility of losing poo poo/stealing poo poo from other people but I really wish people would stop trying to make these games in general, much less on some indie shoestring budget

UO is dead, its not coming back, and I give this a 1 in a 1000 shot of being a decent game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I'm one of the few people who actually likes the possibility of losing poo poo/stealing poo poo from other people but I really wish people would stop trying to make these games in general, much less on some indie shoestring budget

UO is dead, its not coming back, and I give this a 1 in a 1000 shot of being a decent game

It works fine on the small scale (ex: minecraft mods) but lol if they think they can sustain an mmorpg audience for it

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thunderbro posted:

yeah it's like there's one MMO that listens very intently to player feedback on absolutely everything and it's the one with 9 million subscribers. can't wait to see the meltdown as another poop MMO trying to be different and cool sucks to play.

well it's just because uh something something PLAY TO CRUSH

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

So this is going to be the PVP equivalent of Wildstar where a group of old developers ignore the fact that player tastes and wants have changed in the decade-plus since Ultima Online

Changing tastes or not, no-one ever wanted the gameplay model that Shadowbane was built on, not even the tiny fraction of the MMO player base that was hardcore PvP/RvR and who thought they did.

In 2003 there was essentially a pool of 1 million MMO players in the world, and all new games did was steal from each other's active player base. Long before the game came out, the consensus on Waterthread was:

- most MMO players didn't like the sound of the hardcore PvP gameplay and would never even try the game
- those that did would go in, grind away for their runes, build their cities and get their trainers, get baned and burnt to the ground by an enemy that was way too big for them to resist, and quit in disgust
- the conquerors would be left sitting as kings of an empty server with nothing left to do, and would quit out of boredom

and lo! it came to pass pretty much 100% as predicted.

I have fond memories of pretty much every MMO I've played over the past 20 years, but not that one.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I mean Shadowbane had fun points for me but 0% of them were tied in any way to the impermanence of my inventory

Same goes for UO really

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
People focus too much on details and compare things to different games. Losing your inventory in shadowbane was meaningless because you didn't carry bags full of important poo poo like in other games. Usually you had a few scrolls and repair money, sometimes you would be loaded up with items from your current play session but once again they were not important. You can't just compare it to something like WoW were losing your inventory would be crippling. All the people i know who played shadowbane really liked the game and quit because of EXTREMELY SEVERE technical difficulties. poo poo that just wouldn't fly now like characters disappearing from your account for months or losing your city to people exploiting any of the myriads of game crippling bugs. Rampant cheating, hacking and duping...you know, all things that fall under the category of "massive gently caress ups" not "bad game concept". Granted that should give anyone second thoughts from giving anyone involved with that debacle money, but there is always that voice in the back of your head reminding you that they actually made a great game even if it didn't work for poo poo.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yep, shadowbane failed because of technical reasons, not because the playerbase didn't enjoy the game. The comparisons to DayZ are definitely easy.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

malhavok posted:

Granted that should give anyone second thoughts from giving anyone involved with that debacle money, but there is always that voice in the back of your head reminding you that they actually made a great game even if it didn't work for poo poo.

The voices in my head tell me many things, but that isn't one of them.

History (and, more importantly, the marketplace) judged the game poorly. Perhaps we'll find it was ahead of its time and merely needs an era where MMO-gaming is commonplace enough to supply them a niche. But the Shadowbane that was written and played in the time that it was made? They banked heavily on one pithy line drawing hordes of PvP aficionados that didn't exist.

To this day I place "We don't play games to bake bread..." right next to "John Romero is going to make you his bitch."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's more because you're a supersperg than anything though.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

lemonslol posted:

play 2 crush

What the hell does this even mean? I hate you mmo devs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

What the hell does this even mean? I hate you mmo devs

You've gotta play 2 crush man

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It was the slogan for Shadowbane, and when you moved you mouse over the "play" button on the launcher it changed to say "crush".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm reminded of "Sega does what Nintendon't!"

Now if you'll excuse me I need to ollie outie on my skateboard with my backwards baseball cap.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is if you aren't crushing you aren't really playing

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm not a player, I just crush a lot

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gay 2 butts

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm a crusher and crushin hard.

Jungle232
Sep 25, 2005
We need more players on Magicbane! Have about 300 NA players lurking around waiting for an NA server to start up that is said to be just on the horizon.

Magicbane.com

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Captain Oblivious posted:

Now if you'll excuse me I need to ollie outie on my skateboard with my backwards baseball cap.

Tony Hawk's Pro MMO

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Even the emulator with most of the bugs fixed still can't keep I decent pop, this is great.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Tony Hawk's Pro MMO

An MMO where all you do is skateboard around in a fuckoff huge city with tons and tons of other players would actually be pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

The Shortest Path posted:

An MMO where all you do is skateboard around in a fuckoff huge city with tons and tons of other players would actually be pretty amazing.

You can already do this in real life.

• Locked thread