Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Sarah Palin is speaking. And she's legit babbling. I'm pretty sure she decided to ad lib her speech.

I have no clue what the gently caress she is saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
How can any of you tell the difference? If Sarah Palin was speaking from prepared remarks, would it sound any different?

Robert Reich gave some thoughts on a summary of the Iowa Freedom Summit:

quote:

Donald Trump got a standing ovation today at the Iowa Freedom Summit when he promised that if he won the presidency he would defeat the Islamic State, build a fence along the nation's southern border to stop illegal immigration, repeal Obama's Affordable Care Act, and stand up to Democrats. He said Republican politicians had let Obama “get away with absolute murder," that Mitt Romney "choked" in the 2012 campaign and shouldn't be nominated again, and Jeb Bush is unsuitable because he’s "very, very weak" on immigration and supports Common Core educational standards.

The news here isn’t that Trump is a pompous ignorant right-wing megalomaniac. That’s well established. The news is that the Republican Party hasn’t learned a thing since the last presidential election when a Star Wars barroom of neo-isolationists, fundamentalists, and racists split the GOP into warring factions that, financed by a handful of wealthy reactionaries, flamed on for a year or more and fueled the fanaticism that’s become the lifeblood of the party. (Sarah Palin is signaling this weekend she may be in the running, too.) That one of the two major parties of America is incapable of seriously governing poses a clear and present danger to the Republic.

What do you think?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=939102099435720&id=142474049098533&refid=17

Do Republicans have a choice, though? What figure of reason would they run if they fully learned the lessons of 2012? Michael Steele?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My general impression is that in 2012 they KIND of learned some lessons and were trying to fix them but then the loonies wouldn't get on board and the establishment lost interest. Then 2014 happened so they all said "gently caress it, everyone loves us again!" so here we are.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Can/will Micheal Steele run? He's a fine sloganeer and I'm sure has good dirt on a few of his competitors.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

William Bear posted:

How can any of you tell the difference? If Sarah Palin was speaking from prepared remarks, would it sound any different?

Robert Reich gave some thoughts on a summary of the Iowa Freedom Summit:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=939102099435720&id=142474049098533&refid=17

Do Republicans have a choice, though? What figure of reason would they run if they fully learned the lessons of 2012? Michael Steele?

It kills me that the guy called it the 'Star Wars barroom' what the hell dude movie's almost 40.

Also if Trump and Palin ran seriously, that is, showed up at debates, I think I'd have to go all Star Wars barroom in my place for the televised debates. They had kegs in the Cantina, right?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
JamesPindell · 23m 23 minutes ago
Reminder: This @SarahPalinUSA speech is part of an event that will help decide who becomes leader of the free world. #IowaFreedomSummit

How in the gently caress is this country still a super power

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

hhhat posted:

It kills me that the guy called it the 'Star Wars barroom' what the hell dude movie's almost 40.

Also if Trump and Palin ran seriously, that is, showed up at debates, I think I'd have to go all Star Wars barroom in my place for the televised debates. They had kegs in the Cantina, right?

You can drink some blue jizzmilk while listening to space jizz.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

it gets easier once you drop the leader of the free world sthick and just settle for military spending powerhouse

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

joeburz posted:

You can drink some blue jizzmilk while listening to space jizz.

No I want this to be a *special* occasion

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hhhat posted:

No I want this to be a *special* occasion

OK bust out the red jizzmilk

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Thinking about it some more, if Republicans in real life were like Aaron Sorkin Reasonable Republicans they'd probably nominate some boring academic who happens to be Republican. Like Greg Mankiw.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/559126675280379906/photo/1

Just when I thought nothing would top 2012. I look forward to this at every gop event. :allears:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

STAC Goat posted:

Sarah Palin is speaking. And she's legit babbling. I'm pretty sure she decided to ad lib her speech.

https://twitter.com/SarahPalinUSA/status/559121930591404033

I...just wow.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Does she not have someone to write her speeches and social media stuff? Is she too arrogant to take advice or what? Maybe she thinks she isn't talking gibberish.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My head hurts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

bpower posted:

Does she not have someone to write her speeches and social media stuff? Is she too arrogant to take advice or what? Maybe she thinks she isn't talking gibberish.

There was apparently a speech up on the prompter, but she went off track immediately. The first ten minutes is pure gibberish and then she gets back to what seems like it could have been a prepared speech for a bit and then just gives up and goes all in on the crazy.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Someone needs to create a Markov chain generator seeded with actual political speeches and use it to create a randomized "real Palin or fake Palin" quiz. I bet the results are indistinguishable.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

William Bear posted:

Thinking about it some more, if Republicans in real life were like Aaron Sorkin Reasonable Republicans they'd probably nominate some boring academic who happens to be Republican. Like Greg Mankiw.

it's not like Sorkin Republicans don't exist in places of power.

Kasich, Haslam and Martinez all fit the bill (Moderates willing to compromise on essential matters, able to cross the demographic divides that have been killing their party lately). And Huntsman was more or less a younger version of Alan Alda's republican presidential nominee from the West Wing, in that he's just a Third Way democrat with a somewhat heightened desire to set fire to the poor. All of these people can win elections in this country.

But in the campaigning offseason, reasonable people can't generate the same buzz as Senator/former fishing lure salesman Quickdraw McGraw from Clusterfuck County, Dixie.

In the soundbyte era, the democrats' blandness is a their biggest strength and their biggest weakness. Less buzz, fewer self-immolations.

I still expect at least one bland, non-Walker midwestern governor to enter the race and outlast Cruz, Paul, etc. Not sure whether it will be kasich or pence or what.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

There was apparently a speech up on the prompter, but she went off track immediately. The first ten minutes is pure gibberish and then she gets back to what seems like it could have been a prepared speech for a bit and then just gives up and goes all in on the crazy.

Found a 58 second clip of today's speech. Its really is actual gibberish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzD-zqWwWc

I dont think ive seen her that incoherent, she might be a little buzzed even. "Keep your back straight and The Man can't ride ya!" . :psyduck:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PupsOfWar posted:

I still expect at least one bland, non-Walker midwestern governor to enter the race and outlast Cruz, Paul, etc. Not sure whether it will be kasich or pence or what.
Why don't we ask noted forums poster MIGF, I'm sure he can think of...

...oh, you know where I'm going.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Delta-Wye posted:

What nominee fiasco?

BTW, I went googling for information and found this article, which seems unrelated: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01/18/ted-cruz-warns-a-republican-presidential-nominee-who-isnt-conservative-enough-wont-win-in-2016/

However, it did have this picture:

Yup, I can totally see it.

Cigar Store Indian Ted Cruz

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bpower posted:

I dont think ive seen her that incoherent

http://dumbfunnydrunk.com/sarah-palin-explains-paul-reveres-ride/

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

bpower posted:

I dont think ive seen her that incoherent, she might be a little buzzed even. "Keep your back straight and The Man can't ride ya!" . :psyduck:

I closed my eyes and just listened to it and I could have sworn someone was randomly clicking around on the time slider.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
If the Republican Party is a Star Wars barroom, who is Bea Arthur? :)

With that out of the way, apparently Rick Santorum is positioning himself as a populist, countering the cliche "rising tide" metaphor with the zinger "but what if the boat has holes in it"? I am glad we are having every possibly ideological position represented in the Republican primary!

I don't think it will happen in this election, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 2020 or 2024, the political landscape realigns because the amount of non-college educated whites in the Republican party means that there will be at least a few economically populist positions included.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bpower posted:

she has to be drunk or high

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

utterly wrong thread

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Acrophyte posted:

I closed my eyes and just listened to it and I could have sworn someone was randomly clicking around on the time slider.

Holy loving poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now, instead of one minute of that, imagine 40. Actually, you don't have to imagine because here's the whole thing in its :psyduck: glory.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Joementum posted:

Now, instead of one minute of that, imagine 40. Actually, you don't have to imagine because here's the whole thing in its :psyduck: glory.

Sarah Palin hasn't met five sentences should couldn't squish into one and why should we be letting the big boys in Washington tell us how to speak properly is important don't you know I'm a grizzly mama.

Edit: What is with all these scandals she's talking about that I've never even heard about. Am I out of touch, or does she have such a loving victim complex that she thinks anyone still cares about her?

And why does she seem to worship Reagan like some people worship Jesus.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 25, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A reminder that Sarah Palin left elected office to take money from the stupid. Of course she has a loving Victim Complex, she makes decisions like a goddamn Mean Girl from bad high school movies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cemetry Gator posted:

Edit: What is with all these scandals she's talking about that I've never even heard about. Am I out of touch, or does she have such a loving victim complex that she thinks anyone still cares about her?

It's all nonsense from her Facebook feed. And the Reagan worship is de rigeur for the Republican party. She was about on par with the other speakers today in that regard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarah Palin clearly thinks she's the smartest person in the world so its not surprising that she thinks that when some people spend a weekend calling her an rear end in a top hat for letting her kid stand on her dog in Palin's mind that's a national scandal that is displacing ISIS in the news. Instead of just a weekend where a bunch of people got annoyed in passing at an rear end in a top hat doing an rear end in a top hat thing.

But, you know. Barack Obama eats puppies.

All I know is every single time I hear Sarah Palin speak or read an article about her it makes that Julianne Moore portrayal of her seem more and more reliable and valid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I... I think Palin just endorsed Hillary?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

Have you, like, never heard a Republican speak before? Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if we found out some of them have shrines to Saint Ronnie in their boudoirs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nessus posted:

I... I think Palin just endorsed Hillary?

No, she means she's ready for Hillary in the sense that she's ready to take her on. It makes sense if you're immersed in that part of the Internet for long enough.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

forbidden lesbian posted:

she has to be drunk or high

I'm convinced she's a speed addict. Look at her and listen to her manner of speaking. (I used to be one myself, so this isn't totally out of my rear end)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eternalname posted:

I'm convinced she's a speed addict. Look at her and listen to her manner of speaking. (I used to be one myself, so this isn't totally out of my rear end)

Yeah, having a Vyvanse prescription makes me do this (mentally, I catch myself before it comes out and it's annoying for a moment until I remind myself I wouldn't sound like the megagenius I'm thinking I am at the moment, just a verbose rambling rear end in a top hat) when it's at its peak. If it ain't speed (how prevalent is it in that part of Alaska? It's quite rural I assume but is it just too far out there to have the problem of hickborne meth?), she's on a major stimulant but without the requisite self-control to interact with people properly while under its effects.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eternalname posted:

If anyone's weirded out by this, she's medicated on uppers of some sort and it's obvious. It was obvious when Perry was on opiates and it's obvious now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, having a Vyvanse prescription makes me do this (mentally, I catch myself before it comes out and it's annoying for a moment until I remind myself I wouldn't sound like the megagenius I'm thinking I am at the moment, just a verbose rambling rear end in a top hat) when it's at its peak. If it ain't speed (how prevalent is it in that part of Alaska? It's quite rural I assume but is it just too far out there to have the problem of hickborne meth?), she's on a major stimulant but without the requisite self-control to interact with people properly while under its effects.

Drugs are literally everywhere and Palin isn't hurting for money. If she wants something there will be somebody willing to supply it. It's also possible that she's on some sort of prescription meds that gently caress her up. Granted it's also possible that she's sober exactly never or is just legitimately that stupid.

• Locked thread