Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Labor rendered themselves toxic. To the extent that Abbott seemed voteable. Even with compulsory voting that's quite impressive, really.

Oh, and no-one thought to vote for the Greens instead, because eh.

I heard there were a bunch of people voting for parties that weren't Abbot's but because they didn't vote below the line, their protest votes against Labor ended up getting to him first. How true is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Bicyclops posted:

Uh, huge slam on frogs out of nowhere in this post? They don't even represent a particular political party or concept unless they're specifically labeled, like maybe a panel with Kermit singing about rainbows and being labeled GAY AGENDA or realizing he's got a hand up his butt and saying "I don't think I like this Obammercare!" Leave frogs alone, you jackass.

Wow, great, another extremist flipping out because I dared to mock the pro-phib.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

xthetenth posted:

I heard there were a bunch of people voting for parties that weren't Abbot's but because they didn't vote below the line, their protest votes against Labor ended up getting to him first. How true is that?

Highly likely. A lot of Australians think the system is more complicated than it is, and politicians have no reason to disabuse them of that notion. Here's a series Patrick Alexander (of ChickenNation and, more pertinently, Smartephant and the rear end, and a registered Green) made at the last election in a futile attempt to explain how it works.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Wow, great, another extremist flipping out because I dared to mock the pro-phib.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rorus Raz posted:

But why does Stephen Collins hate Islam :colbert:
It was the style at the time?

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

isn't he the one who gave us putin's rack and Mamon
Dunno, I only discovered him last year via the UK politoons thread, don't remember seeing anything he's done about Putin. :confused:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

Uh, huge slam on frogs out of nowhere in this post? They don't even represent a particular political party or concept unless they're specifically labeled, like maybe a panel with Kermit singing about rainbows and being labeled GAY AGENDA or realizing he's got a hand up his butt and saying "I don't think I like this Obammercare!" Leave frogs alone, you jackass.

Frogs have represented the French ever since they stopped representing the Dutch. (It was a time of great scarcity, the Brits couldn't afford new slurs and had to recycle old ones instead.) :france:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Labor rendered themselves toxic. To the extent that Abbott seemed voteable. Even with compulsory voting that's quite impressive, really.

Oh, and no-one thought to vote for the Greens instead, because eh.

You're forgetting the blatant xenophobia. Abbot wasn't just "the one who wasn't Labor", he was also "the one who'd keep them dirty FURENERS! away from our precious Australia".

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Pilchenstein posted:

Dunno, I only discovered him last year via the UK politoons thread, don't remember seeing anything he's done about Putin. :confused:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cup of tea and smash the state has my vote.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great job on making the relegation of First Past the Post voting to the dustbin of history a mandatory condition of your coalition, Liberal Democrats :argh:

Still, Election Coverage of the last British Election was loving spectacular. At one point when they'd realized late into the night they weren't going to get a clear-cut winner, I remember one of the experts in near-desperation asking,"Can.... can the Queen do something about this? :ohdear:"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Highly likely. A lot of Australians think the system is more complicated than it is, and politicians have no reason to disabuse them of that notion. Here's a series Patrick Alexander (of ChickenNation and, more pertinently, Smartephant and the rear end, and a registered Green) made at the last election in a futile attempt to explain how it works.

He's also a goon

Caricatura y tolerancia

Libertad de expresión

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

You're forgetting the blatant xenophobia. Abbot wasn't just "the one who wasn't Labor", he was also "the one who'd keep them dirty FURENERS! away from our precious Australia".

"What other race has ever come to Australia on a boat?"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If he'd gone back in time and kept British people from coming by boat, he could've protected Australia from disaster.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xthetenth posted:

If he'd gone back in time and kept British people from coming by boat, he could've protected Australia from disaster.

If he'd gone back to 1960 and just kept ONE british person from coming by boat, he'd have also saved us from another disaster.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

HisMajestyBOB posted:

But wait there's more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4E1gYjL2M

I can't stop watching. So much crazy.

Quoted for new page. Have the annontations on, it's like purestrain self-delusion. Yes, because you are driving a car and not a horse-drawn carriage you are not a driver, and registration only applies to sea-faring vessels. :laffo:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

That is fantastic, just fantastic.

That Fucker Abbott declaring himself the Minister for Indigenous Affairs is revolting. He's the Minister for Indigenous Affairs and says poo poo like that and backs up statements like that later because he truly believes them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yep, a local sheriff would definitely be able to order around a federal agent and force him to abandon one of his vehicles.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Yep, a local sheriff would definitely be able to order around a federal agent and force him to abandon one of his vehicles.

What's more amusing is that Zed moved to his dad's ranch to play Minuteman and yet here we are like six months later and the illegals apparently have total run of the property at night.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

If he'd gone back to 1960 and just kept ONE british person from coming by boat, he'd have also saved us from another disaster.

Yep. I'm aware.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

What's more amusing is that Zed moved to his dad's ranch to play Minuteman and yet here we are like six months later and the illegals apparently have total run of the property at night.

THANKS, OBAMA! :mad:

Xi over Xi-bar
May 10, 2009
San Diego police sergeant sues over racist cartoon shown during training session

quote:

SAN DIEGO - A San Diego police sergeant says a recent training session featured a racist cartoon and now he's suing the police department.

The cartoon was shown at a training event for some of the top brass -- at a class for sergeants and lieutenants.

Sgt. Arthur Scott, a 10-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department, says he tried to speak out against the cartoon, but was transferred to a different division as a result.

The lawsuit states the cartoon in question, which is from the early 1900s, was used to reference Officer Frank McCarter, the first black San Diego police officer.

Scott is the vice president of the San Diego Black Police Officers' Association and has spoken out before. The lawsuit states that in 2011 when Scott complained about racist images of President Barack Obama in some officers' lockers, a lieutenant said he was being "hyper sensitive."

And this isn't the first time the department has been accused of racism. Last year, sources said officers complained because there were "too many black faces" on a mural inside San Diego's Southeastern Division Station. At that time, three officers talked to Team 10 anonymously for fear of retaliation.

Xi over Xi-bar fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 25, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I'm pretty sure all the talk about the illegals stripping it for parts is just an excuse to let waifu do it and go "not my fault must have been them illegals!!!". The sheriff did say a thing about like "make sure you paint it a different colour" or something

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Political Cartoons 2015: Readers may be offended by an early 20th Century cartoon

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

:effort:

E: all those kids look pretty sick to me. Look at those sunken eyes.
Also erase your pencil lines, Britt you lazy rear end

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 25, 2015

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Chilcot: the sleep of reason produces monsters - Chris Riddell (with apologies to Goya) on the delayed Chilcot report"

Sunday Telegraph:

UKIP MEP Amjad Bashir defects to Conservative Party Also 50th anniversary of death of Churchill.

Independent on Sunday:

Greek elections: Party leaders make final calls for votes

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The racist black stereotype almost made me miss the myriad of racist Asian stereotypes.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm confused, don't cartoons like that give insight into the historical obstacles to police of all races being respected? That cartoon was from that era, shows what he was up against in public perception.

Why does the ATF care about an old redneck in the middle of no where and how does tazering them help? Oh right, They're Coming For Our Guns and, We Sure Showed "Em What Fer.

I wonder how much hate mail he got for this one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Look, you can see her neck! Does Horseys oversexualisation of women know no bounds?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I :love: Koch.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm pretty sure all the talk about the illegals stripping it for parts is just an excuse to let waifu do it and go "not my fault must have been them illegals!!!". The sheriff did say a thing about like "make sure you paint it a different colour" or something

Yeah the Sheriff is suggesting they steal the car, paint it a different colour (presumably adding another pink g-man vehicle to their ambassadorial flotilla) and then fictitiously blame the action on immigrants when the government comes back to ask them to tow it.

I feel like suggesting white racists frequently profit out of pandering to stereotypes of immigrants by inventing crimes where none happened is a little counter production to Muir's message, but hey, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Look, you can see her neck! Does Horseys oversexualisation of women know no bounds?

Don't do this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sam is really kind of childish, isn't she? She's excitable, impulsive (it was her buying the Charger that forced the family into a trailer) and gets absorbed in silly fantasies (her Mary Sue superhero being a badass, her nonagenarian father-in-law beating up federal agents, etc.) She's like a precocious ten-year-old, except fuckable. :barf:

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Looks like we can add pops to the long list of people who have to bail Zed's rear end out of trouble.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I actually went to the dbd website because I assumed I'd missed the comic where they confront and capture the ATF officers but nope, like a low budget movie all that happens off-screen and then we join Our Heroes for the aftermath.

"Oh you just missed Maris again!"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

"I preyed on their sympathy, then tazed them and locked them in a car trunk in the middle of the desert, possibly endangering their lives. Truly I am the bravest hero to ever live."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

JT Jag posted:

I'm sure you can order a federal agent to do quite a bit when you're holding them hostage.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

JT Jag posted:

Umm, it's called nullification? Sheesh, read the Constitution (blessed be its parchment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

So sometimes I do a quick GIS and see how far down the first page Muir's source image is. I was surprised to find that "brewster county sheriff truck" didn't yield anything that looked like the comic. It looks like the stripes and text on the vehicle were added by hand which is why they don't line up with the truck. What a big step forward for Muir to have actually drawn something in his comic. Congratulations.

• Locked thread