Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Even the later, less desirable '70s twins with the push-pull master volume are still great amps. Think about it, ~700 dollars for a 100 watt point to point wired 2x12? You can't come close to that today in a new production amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm gonna go check this one out tomorrow: http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4849956283.html

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Day Man posted:

Yeah, I would, too. I didn't realize I could find good used versions at that price.

you can talk em down to 700 in your sleep too maybe even like 675 if you wanna

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Heavy heavy mother fuckers though. And you dirt pedals become a necessity. Still great amps

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Kind of off the Fender Twin path here, but my Carvin TS-100 has been awesome as gently caress. Yeah, my 4u rack weighs 45pounds or so now, but small beans for the versatility of the setup. Pretty sure it runs 6L6s stock or can be changed for EL34s.

I can turn down the 11rack preamp a bit and easily run half volume on the power amp for home use and my 2x12. With the band tonight at practice, it was around 6/10 and could easily get ontop if desired. It was my first real run and it was perfect.

I was looking into the various power amps, and most of them required stereo use. The Carvin does dual 50w or 100w bridged (which is how I use it). There was also the ancient Peavey Classic 50/50, but wanted something a bit fresher.

The use of the 11rack and GroundControlPro is absolutely awesome. The proper power amp setup only makes it better. I can set a general level on the amp, and the fine tune from a expression pedal plugged into the GCP working as a volume pedal.

Don't see a lot of other people running rack setups so much as combos and stuff, but was just putting that out there.:unsmith:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random question for those with vintage amp/used market knowledge. Why are Lab Series L5s so cheap? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Random question for those with vintage amp/used market knowledge. Why are Lab Series L5s so cheap? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Mostly because people don't want them.

Which is too bad, they're nice amplifiers for the money.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Solid states from that era are usually perceived to be crap. If I saw that Cl listing I'd cruise right by.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Well, that Twin Amp I posted earlier is in really good shape. He came down to 700 and I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. He said he bought it new about 15 years ago and it probably only has about 10 hours of play time, and sat in its cover in his house the rest of the time. He didn't seem to know how the thing worked, but I looked the manual up before going over. I didn't try the effects loop, but everything else seemed to work great! Anything I should be worried about from it just sitting?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Day Man posted:

Well, that Twin Amp I posted earlier is in really good shape. He came down to 700 and I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. He said he bought it new about 15 years ago and it probably only has about 10 hours of play time, and sat in its cover in his house the rest of the time. He didn't seem to know how the thing worked, but I looked the manual up before going over. I didn't try the effects loop, but everything else seemed to work great! Anything I should be worried about from it just sitting?

biggest problem with forgotten amps Is caps can go bad from not being played so that'd be concern number one. if it was stored in a house I would possibly check the insides for dust and such but unless you know what you're doing I would let a tech do it when the tubes you have in it go bad

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Smash it Smash hit posted:

biggest problem with forgotten amps Is caps can go bad from not being played so that'd be concern number one. if it was stored in a house I would possibly check the insides for dust and such but unless you know what you're doing I would let a tech do it when the tubes you have in it go bad

It had no dust, actually. It comes with the original cover, which it appears to have been wearing its whole life. I can't believe its 15 years old. The foot switch and casters are still in the original packaging.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Day Man posted:

That Twin Amp came out in around '94, and is slightly different than a classic Twin Reverb, but they're still nice amps. $700 is about right.

It shares a lot in common with classic twins, such as 4 6L6 power tubes, but it has some handy things, like external bias test points and adjustment pots, and an impedance selector.

Should sound pretty good, regardless.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jwh posted:

Mostly because people don't want them.

Which is too bad, they're nice amplifiers for the money.

Remulak posted:

Solid states from that era are usually perceived to be crap. If I saw that Cl listing I'd cruise right by.

That's what I was thinking but they're amazing sounding amps. You can find them for 250-300 and they're the closest thing you'll find at that price to an old fender tube sound with that much power. I mean the thing was (co?)designed by Bob Moog! They're cool as hell and I don't think I could pass one up if it showed up in a local shop.

I need to find a good CLEAN jazz/blues amp.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Jazz. Chorus. 120.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weird BIAS posted:

Jazz. Chorus. 120.

I hear ya. I've always been cautious of those though because of upkeep and the fact that so many seem to need repairs after a while. If I had a good amp guy on call I might feel easier about it.

I've been casually searching for a head to put next to my OR15 on my 212 but I've switched to looking for a combo like the JC. Makes more sense to me, most of my favorite jazz and blues guys got by just fine with simple combos and I'm not playing out right now anyway. I only need one that will takes pedals for the post rock/weird poo poo I do but mostly a great sound for recording.

I actually dug out my XXX efx combo since the clean channel is all that works on it now and it's a little more lively than the OR15's cleans. Pretty funny, the effects on the thing are actually much better than I remembered. Peavey makes good poo poo and I find myself ignoring the fact too often :shrug:

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Kilometers Davis posted:

Peavey makes good poo poo and I find myself ignoring the fact too often

i wonder wh

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like the trucker flap booby lady though.

I'm reminded of my local store that has a 80s shred guitar with a big airbrushed butt on it. The volume knob is even tastefully placed in a certain position.

Trashy gear :3:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the peavey logo is classic because peavey is classic it's kind of circular logic

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm really tempted to buy a 5150 II right now because even though the JSX i just bought is a really nice amp that i'll keep using, it's not a 5150

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

the peavey logo is classic because peavey is classic it's kind of circular logic

pv kvlt 4evr

muike posted:

i'm really tempted to buy a 5150 II right now because even though the JSX i just bought is a really nice amp that i'll keep using, it's not a 5150

They're coming out with a 6505 Mini in a few months, I might hold off on it honestly because tiny heads are basically adorable

Anyways yeah you guys should buy Peavey before the market upticks and no one can afford it again

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the mini head seems cool but i could just get the real deal for the same price used

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Plus the 6505 mini head is gonna be made in China so the first couple runs will inevitably have qc issues like the 112 combo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The classic 20 MH sounds real nice and I'm feeling all the features in the back of it. If it survives the QC battle it could be a fantastic studio amp. Mini heads are wonderful.

If anyone's curious Premier Guitar has a simple but good demo of both amps.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Speaking of studio/mini amps what's the consensus on the Laney Ironheart IRT Studio rack amp and IRT Pulse preamp pedal/DI/Reamper? Not for gigging but bedroom recording/reamping and semi-regular transport to lessons? I've got a really bad back so an easily transportable tube amp with all those features is very appealing.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Oh, man, this amp sounds so awesome. Thanks for the guidance everyone! I'm in love

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Day Man posted:

Oh, man, this amp sounds so awesome. Thanks for the guidance everyone! I'm in love

:getin:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Day Man posted:

You can reduce the output power slightly by pulling the inner or outer pair of 6L6 power tubes, at the expense of stressing the output transformer. The output transformer should be rated for +/- 100%, like all Twin output transformers, so it's doable. Whether or not it makes enough of a difference to bother doing, that's up to you.

Pretty complicated amplifier! But like all Twins, it has four 6L6s in a parallel push-pull configuration, which I've highlighted:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

jwh posted:

You can reduce the output power slightly by pulling the inner or outer pair of 6L6 power tubes, at the expense of stressing the output transformer. The output transformer should be rated for +/- 100%, like all Twin output transformers, so it's doable. Whether or not it makes enough of a difference to bother doing, that's up to you.

Pretty complicated amplifier! But like all Twins, it has four 6L6s in a parallel push-pull configuration, which I've highlighted:

Thanks for the tip! I saw that mentioned in the manual. At low volume settings, switching from 100 to 25 watts doesn't seem to change the volume much, it just makes it sound thinner, so I'm not sure if it'll make much difference.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I suppose on some amps pulling tubes makes a bigger difference than others, but it seems like it's always like a total of a decibel of difference in volume.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Day Man posted:

Thanks for the tip! I saw that mentioned in the manual. At low volume settings, switching from 100 to 25 watts doesn't seem to change the volume much, it just makes it sound thinner, so I'm not sure if it'll make much difference.

remember to double the db level of an amp you have to double the watts ie 10 vs 100.

What a higher wattage amp does is give more power to the lower the notes. That's why it sounds thinner because your bass notes are able to be pushed louder

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so I am working on my friends kustom 200b and it is turning on since I replaced the fuse but, one of the resistors is smoking when turned on.

what could be the causes of this? it is a 1 ohm 10% power resistors

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A project of mine I've been wanting to work on for literally years has just lurched forward one step: the old reed organ I got at a goodwill for $35 died (the fan motor crapped out) and I'm turning the guts of it into a guitar amp.

It's an old Silvertone, and the tubes are such that what I've got here is basically an old Fender Champ. This part of it turns on and generates sound just fine. The next step is to deal with this:

This is the microphone. It was held against the wooden box containing the reeds by a bit of foam and the case of the organ. Basically, what I need to do there (as far as I'm aware, I am terrible at electricals) is run the two wires instead into a TS connector. But what about that resistor in the little rubber tube there? Keep it? Ditch it? I've never done something like this before.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so I am working on my friends kustom 200b and it is turning on since I replaced the fuse but, one of the resistors is smoking when turned on.

what could be the causes of this? it is a 1 ohm 10% power resistors

What's the wattage rating of the resistor? And what resistor is it?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

This is the microphone. It was held against the wooden box containing the reeds by a bit of foam and the case of the organ. Basically, what I need to do there (as far as I'm aware, I am terrible at electricals) is run the two wires instead into a TS connector. But what about that resistor in the little rubber tube there? Keep it? Ditch it? I've never done something like this before.

If you're going to a quarter inch instrument jack, you can ditch the resistor.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

jwh posted:

If you're going to a quarter inch instrument jack, you can ditch the resistor.

Awesome, thanks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If only because there is nowhere else to bitch about this that people would get it, I'll bitch about it here.

I played a gig on Sunday night that ended up being a really great show (if sparsely attended due to Superbowl stuff) with a couple of great punk bands from Santa Rosa. Anyway, we go into the first song, and the sound guy walks up on stage and starts dicking with the settings on my amp. And not just master volume, which is super touchy, but pre and post gain channels, eq, everything.

The thing is, my amp is a Sunn Beta Lead, and it took roughly a thousand years to get the gains dialed in just right to get the right mofset overdrive sound from it.

So we finish the song, and I go back and set everything kind of like it was but not quite because I don't have time to really get into it, and the guy comes up and says "well you were too loud and I didn't like your tone it was all blah blah blah etc." and I said "well stay the gently caress away from my amp. If I'm too loud just tell me or something I have these volume knobs." We go into the next song and he's right back to my amp trying to dick with it again so I go over and start kicking at him a little bit and he finally lays off but poo poo that made me angry.

I still don't have the amp set back to where it should be.

/old solid state issues.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I would flip poo poo if someone started loving with mah "tone". hell I get mad when bands cool around with my pa settings at my house shows

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If only because there is nowhere else to bitch about this that people would get it, I'll bitch about it here.

I played a gig on Sunday night that ended up being a really great show (if sparsely attended due to Superbowl stuff) with a couple of great punk bands from Santa Rosa. Anyway, we go into the first song, and the sound guy walks up on stage and starts dicking with the settings on my amp. And not just master volume, which is super touchy, but pre and post gain channels, eq, everything.

The thing is, my amp is a Sunn Beta Lead, and it took roughly a thousand years to get the gains dialed in just right to get the right mofset overdrive sound from it.

So we finish the song, and I go back and set everything kind of like it was but not quite because I don't have time to really get into it, and the guy comes up and says "well you were too loud and I didn't like your tone it was all blah blah blah etc." and I said "well stay the gently caress away from my amp. If I'm too loud just tell me or something I have these volume knobs." We go into the next song and he's right back to my amp trying to dick with it again so I go over and start kicking at him a little bit and he finally lays off but poo poo that made me angry.

I still don't have the amp set back to where it should be.

/old solid state issues.

Is there video of you kicking at the sperg who felt like messing with your amp??

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
God, that’s an experience I know all too well. A few months back, we were playing a place that had switched out sound guys at the last minute, who came to the show completely baked and didn’t have no time to listen to the plan we had worked out with his predecessor to smoothly transition between acts in six-band bill. To avoid delaying the start time, we agreed to just stack everyone’s gear up, with the openers’ at the front and the closers (us) at the back – the end result being that we were standing pretty far from our amps when we finally did go on. Far enough that I didn’t notice when he went behind me and turned me down halfway through the set. I set my Twin as loud as it can go and stay clean, and use the output on my Turbo Rat to control the output, so everybody assumed from the sudden drop in volume and sound quality that I had blown a speaker. Swearing to myself as I packed things up, I saw that the Master Volume had been turned down and put together what happened. (For those not in the know, on a silverface Fender this should always be at 10, unless you’re going for the broken amp, AM radio sound.) When I brought it up with the sound guy, he said “maaaaaan, I heard this crackling, I thought your amp was gonna blow up.”

To be sure, my reverb can crackle at times and I need to properly diagnose it, and I HAD forgotten to turn it off after the touching ballad(“You Put Your Finger In My rear end Tonight”) we had played as an encore at the previous show for the cops who came out to answer a noise complaint, but still… at least I didn’t have to worry about replacing another speaker.
Another time a sound guy changed my amp settings at one of the venues we were mic’d, then neglected to turn me up in the monitors before leaving the board to go get drunk. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its taken me far too long to stop trusting sound guys. I used to be all "well why *wouldn't* you want to work with the sound guy to get the best sound? I've he makes a suggestion he probably knows best"