Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Is there a place that I can legally watch the new season of Mythbusters online? It doesn't seem to be on iTunes, Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix. It's also not on Discovery.com.

I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY DISCOVERY WHY DO YOU MAKE IT SO HARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The new format is cool, it's great to see the manufacturing processes again, and al jean is grotesquely autistic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really don't like the new opening, its too serious.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I can't stop thinking of this...

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/BillMurrayAsTheWhipMasterSNL/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The entire trap rig not working when they went to use it the first time is probably the most Mythbusters moment ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wow, Adam's cursing a lot in this episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

More high speed footage of whipcracks please.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't like this recent trend of showing commercials, 30 second clip, more commercials.

Edit - I do like how ridiculous this swords show is. Zeus's batleth.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 18, 2015

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The new format is cool, it's great to see the manufacturing processes again, and al jean is grotesquely autistic

muscles like this? posted:

Really don't like the new opening, its too serious.

Totally agree with both of these. It wasn't as apparent in the first episode but if they do the same level of detail on build and breakdown of the function and science as they did in the Indiana episode, I'll be quite pleased with the new format.

But the new intro is just not good and the small snippets of music sound kind of weak too. Actual episode content is fine.

Edit: Also, I was more than a little amazed at how quickly Adam improved enough to do all of the actual tests. When they brought in the expert I thought it would be as normal and that he'd be the Indy stand-in. Even right at the end when he was on the platform after they added "bark" to the pole I thought he was going to take over.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 18, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

This is sincerely one of the best episodes they've ever made, in all ways. Extremely interesting and fun to watch. Now that's Mythbusters :waycool:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Listen to Adam's podcast about the reboot for some good info. He was really excited about the Indy episode.

A good reboot. The dart trap was awesome.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/488492-mythbusters-reboot-1132014/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not sure why they didn't use an actual branch. City folk.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Next step: get Scottie back. She was cool.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Madurai posted:

At first I was thinking she was on some car show, but then I realized that was the other blonde woman they had to replace Kari when she was too pregnant. Jesse? Scottie was great because she wasn't build teamish at all, which is probably why she didn't stick around.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

At first I was thinking she was on some car show, but then I realized that was the other blonde woman they had to replace Kari when she was too pregnant. Jesse? Scottie was great because she wasn't build teamish at all, which is probably why she didn't stick around.

Wasn't Jesse the one who screamed so much she made the build team look subdued by comparison?

"AHHHHHHH, AANN EXXXXXXXPLLLLOOOOSSSSSIIIIIOOOONNNN!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Madurai posted:

She's been a dentist for a while now

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Wasn't Jesse the one who screamed so much she made the build team look subdued by comparison?

"AHHHHHHH, AANN EXXXXXXXPLLLLOOOOSSSSSIIIIIOOOONNNN!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

She definitely tried too hard to fit in. But I can't really blame her. When you are so transparently cast because the producers need someone to fill in the eye candy role, its going to make things awkward. She seemed much more normal on the car thing I saw her in.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

slartibartfast posted:

Is there a place that I can legally watch the new season of Mythbusters online? It doesn't seem to be on iTunes, Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix. It's also not on Discovery.com.

I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY DISCOVERY WHY DO YOU MAKE IT SO HARD

FYI the current season (#17) is now up on Amazon, Google Plus, and iTunes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Even though the build team is no longer on the show, didn't they actually work for Jamie's company?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Even though the build team is no longer on the show, didn't they actually work for Jamie's company?

I believe Grant was the only one hired explicitly for the show, but I could see Tory and Kari not wanting to just go back to whatever assistant jobs they used to have.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I believe Grant was the only one hired explicitly for the show, but I could see Tory and Kari not wanting to just go back to whatever assistant jobs they used to have.

Kari was an intern there, so she didn't even have a real job there until she joined the cast.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Kari was an intern there, so she didn't even have a real job there until she joined the cast.

Literally got the job for being an rear end model.

Also she's good on camera and had a lot of artistic skills or whatever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I didn't want to say anything after just one episode, but Mythbusters is good again :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

She definitely tried too hard to fit in. But I can't really blame her. When you are so transparently cast because the producers need someone to fill in the eye candy role, its going to make things awkward. She seemed much more normal on the car thing I saw her in.

They should try to bring back the myth-tern from MIT who Jamie bullied and made cry on camera. She didn't even finish the full set of episodes she was hired for.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

They should try to bring back the myth-tern from MIT who Jamie bullied and made cry on camera. She didn't even finish the full set of episodes she was hired for.

Is that the same one who had the molten jaw breaker explode on her?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I didn't want to say anything after just one episode, but Mythbusters is good again :allears:

Did you miss the Simpsons episode?

ColorblindDesigner
Feb 18, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

No, that was Christine Chamberlain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There were still some niggles in the way the topics are structured. Say the Simpsons episode, plenty of time's spent showing Adam carving the foam body, but not addressing the weight issue until the very end (a la "oh by the way, we're adding water because he'd be too light otherwise"), where as I feel it should have been mentioned somewhere during the construction instead, where it made more sense. Same for the swinging with the whip. I kept grinding my teeth because that shiny surface of the fake branch was staring me in the face all the time while they spent so much time on attempts, just to quickly finish it off by putting some sandpaper on it and have it instantly work (like "whoopsie, a real branch would actually be rough").

Still tons better than the past seasons. Thank god the build team's gone, their forced cheeriness was grating.

ColorblindDesigner posted:

No, that was Christine Chamberlain.
Didn't she end up crying, too?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

There were still some niggles in the way the topics are structured. Say the Simpsons episode, plenty of time's spent showing Adam carving the foam body, but not addressing the weight issue until the very end (a la "oh by the way, we're adding water because he'd be too light otherwise"), where as I feel it should have been mentioned somewhere during the construction instead, where it made more sense. Same for the swinging with the whip. I kept grinding my teeth because that shiny surface of the fake branch was staring me in the face all the time while they spent so much time on attempts, just to quickly finish it off by putting some sandpaper on it and have it instantly work (like "whoopsie, a real branch would actually be rough").

Still tons better than the past seasons. Thank god the build team's gone, their forced cheeriness was grating.

Didn't she end up crying, too?

With the Homer build, he mentioned before he started (in a single line, to be fair) that they would have to account for the weight. But like you said, they literally never brought it up again until the very last minute. Completely agree on the whip swing though. Also, the Deadliest Warrior fan in me wanted to see them test the whip on a pig carcass for the disarming experiment.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

With the Homer build, he mentioned before he started (in a single line, to be fair) that they would have to account for the weight. But like you said, they literally never brought it up again until the very last minute. Completely agree on the whip swing though. Also, the Deadliest Warrior fan in me wanted to see them test the whip on a pig carcass for the disarming experiment.

"If I didn't have the glove on, I totally would've dropped the gun" was pretty lame.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

It was Jess the mythtern who Jamie humiliated on screen for not knowing what equation he was thinking of. Christine the mythtern had the jawbreaker burn her face.

They don't do mythterns any more for some reason.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

It was Jess the mythtern who Jamie humiliated on screen for not knowing what equation he was thinking of. Christine the mythtern had the jawbreaker burn her face.

They don't do mythterns any more for some reason.

I can't find anything about the Jess incident on the internet. I can't find anything about her other than she was there and then she wasn't. I have seen a few random posts allude to Christine having issues with Jamie, but none with sources or anything. One person saying she cried on more than one occasion (one was something to do with a zip line?) Her wikipedia entry says she "argued with Jamie" but doesn't provide a reference or go into any further detail.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing with Jess involved a segment with her doing some work over again while tearing up and saying something like, "the thing about Jamie is he teaches you to do stuff by giving you a task that's about a step too hard with no support, and then he yells at you when you don't do it right." The scene before featured him yelling at her about either calculations or measurements. I don't remember what build it was for.

There was also a behind-the-scenes thing where he yelled at her for sharpening his pencils incorrectly and she tried to make it look like they were joking around for the camera, but they clearly weren't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jack Gladney posted:

The thing with Jess involved a segment with her doing some work over again while tearing up and saying something like, "the thing about Jamie is he teaches you to do stuff by giving you a task that's about a step too hard with no support, and then he yells at you when you don't do it right." The scene before featured him yelling at her about either calculations or measurements. I don't remember what build it was for.

There was also a behind-the-scenes thing where he yelled at her for sharpening his pencils incorrectly and she tried to make it look like they were joking around for the camera, but they clearly weren't.

I'm not surprised Jamie is difficult to work with/for. It's hard to believe he's married.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A wife probably has it easier calling him out on his bullshit than an employee.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

FogHelmut posted:

Literally got the job for being an rear end model.

:goonsay:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't remember anything about what happened to Jess (I do remember him bitching at Christine for being terrified of flinging herself off a building, which is ironic given how scared of heights Jamie is), but :wtc: if it's true. I had a brief crush on her.

This talk reminds me of a nebulous memory I have from one of their Behind The Scenes shows. I can't remember what it is, but it's capped off with Adam talking about Jamie and saying "This is really the core of Jamie, trying to hurt someone and giggling the entire time."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ariza posted:

Did you miss the Simpsons episode?

No. I just didn't say anything after just that one episode in case the rest of the season sucked. Now, after two good episodes, I'm hoping the rest of the series will be just as much fun.

Also, yes the "tree branch" was dumb. But that's more a case of them being city folk than anything else. You mean trees don't naturally grow as 2x4?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The annoying thing about doing TV/movie myths is that a lot of stuff ends up as plausible instead of confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Tonights was good, I enjoyed that 'improv' wood gun build.

The annoying thing about doing TV/movie myths is that a lot of stuff ends up as plausible instead of confirmed.

I dont like this either. 'well we've proven it is possible as shown but the original source was fiction so... plausible'. No if you proved it was possible then it's confirmed.

• Locked thread