Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pththya-lyi posted:

(it was her buying the Charger that forced the family into a trailer)

Just a reminder that they'd been living beyond their means for years at that point and Waifu had no idea because Zed had been deliberately hiding that information from her and insisting that everything was going fine. When the Charger broke the camel's back, he admitted they'd been on the verge of bankruptcy for years and he hadn't told her, and she apologized for HIS financial mismanagement exacerbated by his macho pride and stubborn refusal to admit fault. He then forgave her and she counted herself lucky to have such an understanding and tolerant husband.

This is not me putting a spin on events for a joke, these are the actual events as they transpired in Muir's own comic, as written by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Jerusalem posted:

Just a reminder that they'd been living beyond their means for years at that point and Waifu had no idea because Zed had been deliberately hiding that information from her and insisting that everything was going fine. When the Charger broke the camel's back, he admitted they'd been on the verge of bankruptcy for years and he hadn't told her, and she apologized for HIS financial mismanagement exacerbated by his macho pride and stubborn refusal to admit fault. He then forgave her and she counted herself lucky to have such an understanding and tolerant husband.

This is not me putting a spin on events for a joke, these are the actual events as they transpired in Muir's own comic, as written by him.

I'm sure glad that these characters were written so lifelike and when Sam divorced her loser husband to force him to change his ways and come to grips with the fact he can't manage money- oh Muiry Sue. Nevermind, continue on.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Also, keep in mind that, of the two, only Sam has actually been trying to get a job while Zed just waits for Muir to write him out of whatever financial problems they have.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Why?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They don't teach history in school any more + they teach kids to hate America.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Somehow, of all the artists posted here, Tinsley is the one who gets under my skin the most. I don't know how he manages to be simultaneously so bland and so lovely.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The real problem with it isn't even Tinsley's dopey opinion so much that if the joke were in the hands of anybody else, they would have come up with funnier examples for the befuddled Jason to put in his Liberal Thesis. Calvin and Hobbes, which actively avoided being political, very specifically made this joke when Calvin used a bunch of academic buzz words to write a report on Dick and Jane and it was still much more biting political commentary and infinitely funnier.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tinsley is very mad at a world that doesn't exist, and if I didn't know better I'd say his comic strip was deliberately crafted as an argument against affirmative action by being incredibly bad.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Tinsley is very mad at a world that doesn't exist, and if I didn't know better I'd say his comic strip was deliberately crafted as an argument against affirmative action by being incredibly bad.

That's so stupid it's probably correct.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Don't be so hard on him. I know when I had to take my fourth Hating America general education requirement and miss out an elective in Responsible Rithmatic, I, like Jason, gave up on even typing my papers, and merely handed them in on a handwritten sheet of lined composition paper with holes down the sides, as if I had never interacted with any level of education since the late 1980s.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samurai Sanders posted:

They don't teach history in school any more + they teach kids to hate America.
Which is funny because the stuff a lot of GOP assholes want in our kids books is even worse than what Tinsley thinks happens in real life.

Hell he probably believes that "God's Not Dead" was a documentary on how evil college professors are trying to corrupt our youth by forcing them to be atheists because they got sad that their mom died of cancer and so foresake God and only through dying of internal bleeding in a rainstorm can you receive salvation as your estranged girlfriend, the student who totally owned you in class, a Chinese transfer student who never heard about god before, a Muslim girl who got beaten and disowned by her father because she was listening to passages from the bible in secret, and rear end in a top hat Dean Cain's wife go to this Jesus concert where one of the Duck Dynasty jagoffs tell everyone to tweet/text "God's not Dead" to everyone like a complete jackass.

Sorry for the rant there but God's Not Dead is the most banal and hateful movie I have ever seen or heard about. A Serbian Film is more classy than God's Not Dead.

E: On a related note I wonder if elementary history texts still have lies like "People didn't believe the Earth was round till Columbus came around to find America" or Paul Revere's ride just being him yelling "The British Are Coming!!!" or that Christians were fed to lions in the Colosseum

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 25, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Those are pop history.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Every loving time Tinsley goes on one of these anti-education tiffs I hate him more and more. :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Tinsley is married to a teacher

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he sees history (or maybe all education) as just a bunch of events to be memorized, that's a common mindset for old people. Hell, he could move to China where it appears history is still taught that way, and in a whitewashed patriotic way like he would like too!

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

JT Jag posted:

God, his poor wife. :(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

JT Jag posted:

I thought she was a union lawyer

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

quote:

Speaker of the House John Boehner has invited Benjamin Netanyahu to speak to congress without consulting the POTUS. He is clearly thumbing his nose at Obama while also attempting to sabotage the nuclear talks with Iran. Way to start the new year, GOP!
Just to give some context

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Boehner is indeed fairly petty and insolent I think.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, but by the strip's logic it was her impulsiveness that put the family in the poor house, so my point still stands: Sam is like a precocious, fuckable child.

VVV REALLY badly phrased, I realize that now. I mean that she acts like a kid or a teenager even though she's in her mid-to-late forties. And she's set up as the sexiest of ladies. It's not actually pedophilia, but it's close enough to it to freak me out.

I'll show myself out.VVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 25, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sam is like a precocious, fuckable child.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bicyclops posted:

The real problem with it isn't even Tinsley's dopey opinion so much that if the joke were in the hands of anybody else, they would have come up with funnier examples for the befuddled Jason to put in his Liberal Thesis. Calvin and Hobbes, which actively avoided being political, very specifically made this joke when Calvin used a bunch of academic buzz words to write a report on Dick and Jane and it was still much more biting political commentary and infinitely funnier.
For the record:

Calvin and Hobbes often went for the same targets as Tinsley does, but with wit, charm and intelligence. Tinsley, by contrast, has had so little exposure to actual education that he can't even fake it.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sam is like a precocious, fuckable child.
Let me direct you to the thread's Tumblr page of cartoonists disliking adorable children.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 25, 2015

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Highly likely. A lot of Australians think the system is more complicated than it is, and politicians have no reason to disabuse them of that notion. Here's a series Patrick Alexander (of ChickenNation and, more pertinently, Smartephant and the rear end, and a registered Green) made at the last election in a futile attempt to explain how it works.

The IRV method looks nice on paper, but it actually does really weird mathematical things. A shift of opinion towards a candidate can actually cause them to lose an election! Of course, no one actually talks about it because they'd have to change the voting system and no one wants to talk mathematics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gyre posted:

The IRV method looks nice on paper, but it actually does really weird mathematical things. A shift of opinion towards a candidate can actually cause them to lose an election! Of course, no one actually talks about it because they'd have to change the voting system and no one wants to talk mathematics.

There's literally no voting system that doesn't have some fundamental problem.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Kegluneq posted:

For the record:

Calvin and Hobbes often went for the same targets as Tinsley does, but with wit, charm and intelligence. Tinsley, by contrast, has had so little exposure to actual education that he can't even fake it.

Are you saying that Watson was a bad man? I thought it was just making fun of assignments, which I did hated writing myself.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 25, 2015

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

All I'm seeing here is a giant pile of disembodied vulvas.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kegluneq posted:

Let me direct you to the thread's Tumblr page of cartoonists disliking adorable children.
Please do? I've been agitating for one for a while.

voltroon posted:

That's not at all what an uvula looks like. :colbert:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Rincewinds posted:

Are you saying that Watson was a bad man? I thought it was just making fun of assignments, which I did hated writing myself.

I'm in a PhD program in Writing Studies and I still think half the time people are blowing smoke up their own asses by over-writing. Some people try to use impenetrable language to intimidate others out of critiquing their weak points. I've got friends in the sciences who feel the same way about their own fields. It's a pretty reasonable critique of academia.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Rincewinds posted:

He's mocking academic intelligentsia there, which Tinsley also does but from a really stupid political perspective (same goes for pokes at popular culture). Watson actually makes valid points through a sympathetic viewpoint though, whereas Tinsley is always no better than 'those liberals/some gizmo'.

Xander77 posted:

Please do? I've been agitating for one for a while.
There was discussion here of starting one to collect those anti-immigration cartoons focused on hordes of Mexican children, with the mooted title of 'gently caress adorable children'. I don't think it took off oddly (and can't google it to confirm).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kegluneq posted:

He's mocking academic intelligentsia there, which Tinsley also does but from a really stupid political perspective (same goes for pokes at popular culture). Watson actually makes valid points through a sympathetic viewpoint though, whereas Tinsley is always no better than 'those liberals/some gizmo'.

Also, Watson goes full-bore ten-dollar-word bullshitter on the topic of overwriting and you can feel the research that he actually did on the subject- Calvin looks so happy with himself in the last panel!- whereas Tinsley just slaps traditional American history touchstones together and puts all of his words into a pair of bored-looking characterless assholes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Are we mispelling Watterson for a reason?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Bill Watson, longtime colleague of Mr Hebdo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jerusalem posted:

Wow, poo poo, I must've missed those ones.
I only remember: Their house was stolen by the feds when they got accused of being responsible for the Boston bombing, and Zed slipping out of a truckload of police chains while delivering sick burns to a police force that realized they just couldn't compete with Zed's freedom powers.
Then they end up in the trailer, because despite not being formally charged or convicted of anything, the government still had their house and wasn't giving it back. (In a competent bizarro version of DbD, this could have been something decent about civil forfeiture.)
Then they were in the trailer for awhile, until that rascally Obama sent his thugs to harass the freedom lovers just trying to live in peace, at which point Don Portago declared the property to be an embassy or some poo poo, granting Zed and Waifu diplomatic immunity and letting them steal an armored vehicle, because that's the way things work.
And then Sam Elliott sent Zed a letter and here we are.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

voltroon posted:

You know those are seed pods, right?

Explanatory Oglaf link - NSFW depending on your employer's feelings on seed pods/vaginas. Rest of the comics can get very NSFW.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Interesting! I'm not that good at following proofs, but I think I get the general idea. The question is more then, "what is the optimal voting system (that most humans can follow) given that it cannot satisfy all three constraints"? If you look at IRV I think the plotting shows that it most definitely isn't the optimal system due to its weird math, and plurality sucks too because it crushes out smaller parties.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kegluneq posted:

There was discussion here of starting one to collect those anti-immigration cartoons focused on hordes of Mexican children, with the mooted title of 'gently caress adorable children'. I don't think it took off oddly (and can't google it to confirm).
Yeah, that... that was a joke I made.

Broken Loose posted:

Are we mispelling Watterson for a reason?
The answer is elementary.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

the_steve posted:

Wow, poo poo, I must've missed those ones.
I only remember: Their house was stolen by the feds when they got accused of being responsible for the Boston bombing, and Zed slipping out of a truckload of police chains while delivering sick burns to a police force that realized they just couldn't compete with Zed's freedom powers.
Then they end up in the trailer, because despite not being formally charged or convicted of anything, the government still had their house and wasn't giving it back. (In a competent bizarro version of DbD, this could have been something decent about civil forfeiture.)
Then they were in the trailer for awhile, until that rascally Obama sent his thugs to harass the freedom lovers just trying to live in peace, at which point Don Portago declared the property to be an embassy or some poo poo, granting Zed and Waifu diplomatic immunity and letting them steal an armored vehicle, because that's the way things work.
And then Sam Elliott sent Zed a letter and here we are.

No, no. This was the first time they lost their house and moved into a trailer. Before they got bailed out by an extremely convenient plot device again. I mean the first time. It all blends together.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gyre posted:

Interesting! I'm not that good at following proofs, but I think I get the general idea. The question is more then, "what is the optimal voting system (that most humans can follow) given that it cannot satisfy all three constraints"? If you look at IRV I think the plotting shows that it most definitely isn't the optimal system due to its weird math, and plurality sucks too because it crushes out smaller parties.

I'd go for Condorcet, with Smith/IRV to resolve circular ambiguity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, that... that was a joke I made.

Whoops! I clearly don't keep a close enough track of people posting questionable content. Perhaps I should put you on some form of register.

• Locked thread