Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Mike_V posted:

Absolutely incredible season finale from Eric Andre. Bird Up! is one of my favorite bits of his.

oh goddamnit, i was afraid that that was the finale

i knew that they wouldn't go off-format for anything less, but i was still hoping that there would be more new ones beside that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Consider this: Pretty much the entire supporting cast spends the last quarter of the series rear end naked.

Yeah, but it's all jokey. I can't imagine why on Earth a censor would be appalled by the "nudity' in Kill la Kill after passing other stuff that's aired before midnight before.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, but it's all jokey. I can't imagine why on Earth a censor would be appalled by the "nudity' in Kill la Kill after passing other stuff that's aired before midnight before.

Do you not understand that American culture is one obsessed with nudity more than violence? Like there's nothing that's aired on Toonami so far that's visually as terrible as the mother loving her daughter with the exception of kid Alucard being raped and they edited that scene the gently caress down.

Argus Zant posted:

Oh my loving god, why are there so many words here

Holy poo poo, it's DBZ Kai. Everyone loving loves DBZ, Kai has only aired in its entirety on like Nickolodeon in the past and not to mention they're probably getting rights to the Buu Saga which will air exclusively on Toonami at that point. There's nothing they can really get that people are going to care about with the exception of a surprise HunterxHunter announcement and there's been no word of any localization company putting anything into that, ditto on JoJo.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 24, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Well there was the whole thing with Seras' mom too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They were wearing clothes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Do you not understand that American culture is one obsessed with nudity more than violence? Like there's nothing that's aired on Toonami so far that's visually as terrible as the mother loving her daughter with the exception of kid Alucard being raped and they edited that scene the gently caress down.

I acknowledged that.

WickedHate posted:

I wouldn't think KLK would need much editing to be any worse then anything else shown on Toonami or Adult Swim, outside of a particular scene or two.

I get what you're saying, though, and I agree about DBZ too, It's a pretty good get for Toonami even if it is technically old.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Noted retard wicked hate jumps in once again to defend kill la kill

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really don't understand why HunterxHunter doesn't have a dub by now though, I would've thought that'd be a thing Funimation would've swept up no problem, but nope.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Beef Waifu posted:

I really don't understand why HunterxHunter doesn't have a dub by now though, I would've thought that'd be a thing Funimation would've swept up no problem, but nope.

Who wants to watch a dumb show about two dumb kids?!?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naruto fans

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Sasuke is not dumb, he's actually a master of the Sharingan Technique? What can you do?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Piss and poo poo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffleman_ posted:

Consider this: Pretty much the entire supporting cast spends the last quarter of the series rear end naked.
Yeah but nudity in KLK is basically featureless due to the style of the animation.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Argus Zant posted:

no, i mean like, what could they get in 2015 that would be fresh & exciting enough to pull viewers but wouldn't have too much objectionable content to bar it from being shown before midnight

Here are the top 5 requested shows as of a month ago:

- Sailor Moon (old show might be a turn-off, and I hope to god they don't get Crystal)
- Kill La Kill (FULFILLED)
- Sword Art Online Season II (everyone believes this show is a lock for later this year)
- Attack on Titan Season II (doesn't exist yet)
- Hunter X Hunter (been addressed)

Argus Zant posted:

now they've just gotten KLK, which was another New, Exciting Hotness that Everybody and Their Mother has been clamoring for literally since last year
but they're not putting it into the pre-midnight slot, likely because it's too skeevy to show then
so instead we get DBZK, which is I think several years old already, not to mention it's already been running on the block since November

When KLK was announced, it was announced for 11:30.

Argus Zant posted:

so what would/could they get in 2015 that would be

A)Relatively recent/new
B)Unobjectionable for airing at 2330

Funimation has been experimenting with speedy dubs lately, so honestly anything they've recently simulcast on their website is on the table. Psycho-Pass II is being dubbed and streamed as we speak. Tokyo Ghoul was pretty popular last year. We probably won't see another mega-hit like Attack on Titan for another 7-10 years.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

WickedHate posted:

I acknowledged that.

I get what you're saying, though, and I agree about DBZ too, It's a pretty good get for Toonami even if it is technically old.

To put the power of DBZ in perspective, according to Funimation, DBZ: Battle of Gods outsold both Attack on Titan and the Cowboy Bebop BD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

livingfruitvirus posted:

To put the power of DBZ in perspective, according to Funimation, DBZ: Battle of Gods outsold both Attack on Titan and the Cowboy Bebop BD.

Here's hoping for December!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

livingfruitvirus posted:

DBZ is just so well known in America. It was the gateway drug for a lot of kids. Even some people who don't give a poo poo about the rest of anime love Dragon Ball.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Which is why it's perfect for 11:30, so you can get the normal Adult Swim crowd watching as well. I don't think KLK is very suited for the 11:30 slot because it doesn't really have a lot of non-anime fan appeal, whereas Space Dandy was the new series from the guy that created Bebop, and critics were (dumbly) comparing Attack on Titan to The Walking Dead, plus it was a MEGA-hit, so there might be a bit of periphery appeal there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Which is why it's perfect for 11:30, so you can get the normal Adult Swim crowd watching as well. I don't think KLK is very suited for the 11:30 slot because it doesn't really have a lot of non-anime fan appeal

Yeah, I wasn't arguing against DBZ being there, just that I didn't think KLK needed to be midnight on because of content. It's very smart to start out with Dragon Ball Z.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm bored. Get in here.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Didn't the guy in charge of the block also say "This isn't just an anime block, but an action block" What kind of western action cartoons are there to be shown on Toonami? The whole DCAU is out because CN and WB are idiots, Megas XLR is the only other option off the top of my head.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's been Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Sym-Bionic Titan, the Thundercats reboot, and Beware the Batman. But all of those are either lost rights or written off.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They could have non anime if Cartoon Network would stop burning their bridges or losing rights to their old shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was watching the Venture special and was kind of surprised to see they got Colbert back.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Colbert wanted to come back and probably used some of the downtime between his shows to record for them.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Mike_V posted:

Absolutely incredible season finale from Eric Andre. Bird Up! is one of my favorite bits of his.

Yeah, he somehow topped last season's finale.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not gonna be watching anime tonight but my tv will be on as I play PQ, so I hope we all get along

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Guys, I'm sure the rest of these chumps will save us without Goku.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

My strength and speed are multiplied when I watch dbz

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Thanks for the spoilers, narrator.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ruggington posted:

Well, that is a pretty short burst.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Respond to this post in under 5 seconds

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Guys, I'm sure the rest of these chumps will save us without Goku.

I mean, they're as strong as Raditz was when he was on Earth! No way they can loose!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Respond to this post in under 5 seconds

No.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gregory is such a chump.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ruggington posted:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
To beat Vegeta you must be able to outrun a monkey and bop a lighting bug.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Using the Spirit Bomb looks a lot like taking a massive poo poo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Well, that is a pretty short burst.

its all I'll need.... to defeat you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

King Kai just throwing bricks at Goku now.

• Locked thread