Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Crustashio posted:

Don't waste the owners time when you don't have money? It's loving annoying.

This poo poo right here. "Couldn't get the money together." Get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The worst is when they spend an hour looking over the car and you find out they dont actually have any money, then you start to seriously consider murder as an option.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to be the wet blanket and just say this: it is a stupid Idea to drive to the West Coast to buy a car if you are not financially stable. Source something locally, I live in Salt World and I was able to find a mostly rust free stock Integra with a Manual transmission, you just have to look. Buy something inexpensive, local, cheap to run, easy to repair, and reliable. Something like a low-powered coupe or sedan to learn Manual on. You should be looking at Civics, Proteges, basic Celicas, Miatas, etc., not 1985 Isuzu Impulses or Opel GTs in loving Anaheim.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

leica posted:

The worst is when they spend an hour looking over the car and you find out they dont actually have any money, then you start to seriously consider murder as an option.

Luckily I wasn't trying to sell a car, but it was several hundreds of dollars of parts. Had a date and location all set and then he texts me day of with that bullshit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm going to be the wet blanket and just say this: it is a stupid Idea to drive to the West Coast to buy a car if you are not financially stable. Source something locally, I live in Salt World and I was able to find a mostly rust free stock Integra with a Manual transmission, you just have to look. Buy something inexpensive, local, cheap to run, easy to repair, and reliable. Something like a low-powered coupe or sedan to learn Manual on. You should be looking at Civics, Proteges, basic Celicas, Miatas, etc., not 1985 Isuzu Impulses or Opel GTs in loving Anaheim.

This makes WAY too much sense so the op will completely ignore it. Continue shopping for cars across the country with no money op, nothing to see here.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

This.

And I say it again. Look for plentiful japanese cars, not 80s weeabo poo poo. Do I have to fly a god drat plane with a trailing advertisement?

I know you want to watch subtitled initial D with your PJ pants pulled down around your ankles, dick in hand at your moms house looking out the window with your SICK WHIP parked on the street, but holy poo poo just loving stop.

Get something they made eighty million of and has parts out the rear end for and has lots of documentation for every job ever that you probably wont follow and just hurp durp and poo poo post about vs actual car work.

You wont even take pictures of things you are asked.

I'm not convinced you aren't someones parachute account, but if these people are actually coming out of the woodwork to help you, get a car that isn't a horror show. They probably want to work on their own projects more than your lovely "daily driver" (yes I know you can walk from your moms house to your job). Seriously, you should get appliance car (there are actually fun ones) and maintain it along with hanging around others vs getting a train wreck car and floundering around with it.

I really don't know why I keep trying to post helpful yet condescending things in this thread. I am not a good mechanic. We all started from square one. I double gasketed one of the oil changes on my first car. Yet somehow with a lot of motivation and reading poo poo on the computer I manage to make things work. We are 32 pages in and most of it is telling you to stop being an idiot. I don't even want to count battery cable gate pages. Don't you want to have some pages of content and contribution? Even if it is basic stuff like tire rotation, oil changes, plug and wire changes, interior clean up, detailing. All of that is miles better than what we're at so far.

Why do you want to sit at the table when you aren't bringing anything to it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I dunno if this'll make much sense because I'm about halfway into a bottle of scotch or not, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

It's about the American Dream. The idea that a young man can take a lovely-rear end car from far before he was born and turn it into something awesome, that driving fast isn't a sin, but an expression of that underlying heart and desire to do something worthwhile, to burn at the max capacity, that truly defines a person, rather than their willingness to just settle for second best or to just do the safe option.

I'm tired of doing the safe option, I'm tired of being the responsible young adult making all the safe and society-accepted choices as to the car I drive and how I drive it. I had enough of that poo poo in the Navy, every single day I was told, "DON'T DO THIS OR ELSE YOUR LIFE WILL FALL APART". I want to go fast. I want to swing around corners like a madman, and I want people to question my sanity every time I get into my car. I want to run at full power until I can't anymore, and then, maybe then, I'll get the car that's the safe option. Then, I'll get the lovely Honda Civic or other such option that lies in my future. For now, I want to make decisions that won't affect me too greatly in the future, because goddammit, now is the time to make them, rather than 10 years down the line when I have a family at stake, and I won't be able to make them.

Now's the time, or else I'm not gonna be able to anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This thread has basically devolved into a stockholm syndrome circle jerk.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I dunno if this'll make much sense because I'm about halfway into a bottle of scotch or not, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

It's about the American Dream. The idea that a young man can take a lovely-rear end car from far before he was born and turn it into something awesome, that driving fast isn't a sin, but an expression of that underlying heart and desire to do something worthwhile, to burn at the max capacity, that truly defines a person, rather than their willingness to just settle for second best or to just do the safe option.

I'm tired of doing the safe option, I'm tired of being the responsible young adult making all the safe and society-accepted choices as to the car I drive and how I drive it. I had enough of that poo poo in the Navy, every single day I was told, "DON'T DO THIS OR ELSE YOUR LIFE WILL FALL APART". I want to go fast. I want to swing around corners like a madman, and I want people to question my sanity every time I get into my car. I want to run at full power until I can't anymore, and then, maybe then, I'll get the car that's the safe option. Then, I'll get the lovely Honda Civic or other such option that lies in my future. For now, I want to make decisions that won't affect me too greatly in the future, because goddammit, now is the time to make them, rather than 10 years down the line when I have a family at stake, and I won't be able to make them.

Given all that, why 80s Japanese stuff? It sounds like you want a conventional hotrod.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

Given all that, why 80s Japanese stuff? It sounds like you want a conventional hotrod.

Mostly because I like the act of going around corners and making them super tight rather than just going fast. I like handling more than just straight top speed. I dunno if this is true or not, but it seems to me that the vast majority of American cars have poo poo handling, and can't get around a corner to save their lives.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I am so loving glad you're out of the navy Jesus Christ.

gently caress my life this thread makes less sense than the tea party

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Stock? No, they'll probably handle like poo poo. Throw some money at suspension bits and it'll probably go around a corner just fine. An excellent example of this is probably a fox body mustang which has been suggested here numerous times. It can be made to go around a corner, are common and cheap as hell and are stupidly simple to work on. Also, its a V8 with RWD. You literally can't go wrong with it.

EDIT: V8 Fox Body Dorifto~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphjLzP0OT0

EDIT 2: Its also 80's as all gently caress and is awesome.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 25, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 25, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

Stock? No, they'll probably handle like poo poo. Throw some money at suspension bits and it'll probably go around a corner just fine. An excellent example of this is probably a fox body mustang which has been suggested here numerous times. It can be made to go around a corner, are common and cheap as hell and are stupidly simple to work on. Also, its a V8 with RWD. You literally can't go wrong with it.

EDIT: V8 Fox Body Dorifto~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphjLzP0OT0

In what universe are fox bodies cheap as hell? Seems like they've doubled in price over the last 5 years.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A year or so ago, I saw several in the 2k range. However I also live somewhere that they aren't consumed by rust, so this may have something to do with it.

EDIT: Apparently they're up to 3-3.5k for one without a bunch of money "invested" into it. vOv

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 25, 2015

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The op is a retard, this is coming from somebody who has spent way too much on 20 year old japanese turbocharged shitboxes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

A year or so ago, I saw several in the 2k range. However I also live somewhere that they aren't consumed by rust, so this may have something to do with it.

I'm in California and I haven't seen a good (302, 5-speed) non-busted one for under like $4k in awhile. Not that I've been looking. Last time I looked they were about comparable to a 325is in terms of pricing wrt condition.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

track day bro! posted:

The op is a retard, this is coming from somebody who has spent way too much on 20 year old japanese turbocharged shitboxes.

I'm guilty of this as well (mine don't have turbos though) :downs::hf::downs:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mostly because I like the act of going around corners and making them super tight rather than just going fast. I like handling more than just straight top speed. I dunno if this is true or not, but it seems to me that the vast majority of American cars have poo poo handling, and can't get around a corner to save their lives.

So you want a Miata. The newer and less beat the better.

Say it with me: Miata Is Always The Answer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

I'm in California and I haven't seen a good (302, 5-speed) non-busted one for under like $4k in awhile. Not that I've been looking. Last time I looked they were about comparable to a 325is in terms of pricing wrt condition.

That's why you go SN95. I see 5.0 5 speed fat bodies for under 2k every day.

But the OP is still a loving idiot.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Jesus Christ this is the AI Slow Motion thread.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

That's why you go SN95. I see 5.0 5 speed fat bodies for under 2k every day.

But the OP is still a loving idiot.

I was just surprised to see "cheap as hell" referring to fox bodies. I'd agree that that's an accurate description of early SN95s.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

I was just surprised to see "cheap as hell" referring to fox bodies. I'd agree that that's an accurate description of early SN95s.

Yeah, Fox bodies haven't been cheap for well over a decade.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
There's a pretty solid list of 80s weaboo cars in his price range that aren't any harder to maintain than a foxbody or camry or whatever you guys are suggesting he should do. Really don't understand the point of rehashing this.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

HEY VAPER posted:

There's a pretty solid list of 80s weaboo cars in his price range that aren't any harder to maintain than a foxbody or camry or whatever you guys are suggesting he should do.

Counterpoint: OP can't even change a battery cable.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

zundfolge posted:

Counterpoint: OP can't even change a battery cable.

counterpoint: how would op owning an accord instead of a 240sx or whatever affect this?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Speaking of ~2k fox bodies: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4849767635.html

(this is probably a terrible idea don't listen to me I have no idea what is involved in dealing with cars in areas where the temps drop below freezing :v:)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HEY VAPER posted:

counterpoint: how would op owning an accord instead of a 240sx or whatever affect this?

Because he should be forced to drive a goddamn penalty box.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Dear god this thread is hilarious. OP equates living the American Dream to driving a weaboo Japanese car while wearing stupid loving pants. This is the best thread ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

Dear god this thread is hilarious. OP equates living the American Dream to driving a weaboo Japanese car while wearing stupid loving pants. This is the best thread ever.

Definitely an uncommon take on rags to riches, though the monologue is more of a one-percenter kind of thing.

Actually, Hells Angels might be more your speed and they've had a charter in Chicago for over 20 years. Roll down to the clubhouse and tell them Sonny sent you.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Quite honestly, a lot of people have the wrong idea, and lemme clear this up.

Euphoria is experienced most firmly at the state of a curve at 80+mph and you don't know if you're gonna end up at the end of the turn safe or not.

The Foxbody Mustangs are neat, and lemme make this clear, very very neat, but I dunno how they handle on a high speed curve without for sure spinning out and killing me.

As much as you might recommend me a nice neat Honda Civic or a Saturn Shitbody (I dunno), I really don't want any of those. I want something that is a bad decision that I can drive like a madman and swing around corners, because I know for a fact that the next 20+ years of my life is gonna be a miserable experience of marriage, dealing with it, and loving about with silly cars whose handling I am going to hate and am going to wish was better just for the sake of getting around a corner at 60+mph. I know what I am getting into, because I expect having a silly car project for the rest of my life. Because if I accepted anything else, I'd be selling myself short. I know that I can handle getting a solid car up and running around spring time, and if any of you have any doubts as to that, shove it up your drat arse.

I want a bad decision now so I don't make one later when I want to go fast and I don't know how much work goes into it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Euphoria is experienced most firmly at the state of a curve at 80+mph and you don't know if you're gonna end up at the end of the turn safe or not.

The Foxbody Mustangs are neat, and lemme make this clear, very very neat, but I dunno how they handle on a high speed curve without for sure spinning out and killing me.

As much as you might recommend me a nice neat Honda Civic or a Saturn Shitbody (I dunno), I really don't want any of those. I want something that is a bad decision that I can drive like a madman and swing around corners, because I know for a fact that the next 20+ years of my life is gonna be a miserable experience of marriage, dealing with it, and loving about with silly cars whose handling I am going to hate and am going to wish was better just for the sake of getting around a corner at 60+mph. I know what I am getting into, because I expect having a silly car project for the rest of my life. Because if I accepted anything else, I'd be selling myself short. I know that I can handle getting a solid car up and running around spring time, and if any of you have any doubts as to that, shove it up your drat arse.

I want a bad decision now so I don't make one later when I want to go fast and I don't know how much work goes into it.

So this is what it feels like to be taken for a ride by a troll.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You need to read less Hunter Thompson and more Dr Seuss.

Jesus you are a loving idiot. At least get a dash cam so one day when you have a running car we can all watch your inevitably slow and hilarious failure death.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're going to try to take a corner at 60+ mph, I hope that it's at least on a track and not on the street.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Op you have problems with your brain.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol

Seriously, if the Angels won't take you try the Bandidos or the Pagans.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 25, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Then go do it by yourself because nobody else here gives a poo poo besides the few posters that feel sorry for your dumbass.

You have nothing to contribute, close the thread and gently caress off.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOC, stick a folk into this thread, it's done.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
:allears: What an adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I hope Sperglord is into golden showers, because the pissing in the well is about to go from a trickle into a torrent. :munch:

• Locked thread