Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TriffTshngo posted:

The only character introduced so far that I don't like is Minoru, the grape kid. So far he's A) Cowardly without the redeeming heroic impulses Izuku has, B) A weird gross kid who's way too grabby, and C) Kind of got a useless quirk unless paired with someone else or used in a clever/creative fashion, the latter of which he hasn't shown to be super capable of thus far.
So basically he's Hol Horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bad Seafood posted:

So basically he's Hol Horse.

If Hol Horse was a lame dorky teen, I guess yeah. The other big difference is Hol Horse is funny and entertaining.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TriffTshngo posted:

If Hol Horse was a lame dorky teen, I guess yeah. The other big difference is Hol Horse is funny and entertaining.
I said basically, not exactly; though you're kidding yourself if you don't think Hol Horse is spectacularly lame (which is what's great about him anyway).

Also, different dynamics. Hol Horse was never anybody we were supposed to root for, so once you've grown used to his villainous nature his more endearing traits stick out more. But Grape Juice is with us, one of the good guys, so the ways in which he falls short of his peers is more sharply delineated.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just want ant girl to do things because she's a cool-looking ant girl

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i expect her power has something to do with spitting acid

i came across a bit of speculation regarding the eventual ending

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mineta is the comic relief and he is cool.

Tollymain posted:

Hell yes

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tollymain posted:

i expect her power has something to do with spitting acid

:vince:
That is now my desktop background.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's cool, but it loses the lovably geeky touch of having his mom's mask thing, so no deal fanartists.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

tsob posted:

It's cool, but it loses the lovably geeky touch of having his mom's mask thing, so no deal fanartists.

I thought only the suit was his mom's, and the mask is something he designed?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think his mom made it based on sketches he'd made.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mineta's power probably has more use in the disaster rescue area rather than combat, and stuff like his power has been used to great effect in actual comics.

The real question is how does invisible girl make a good hero when outside of being invisible (and only when naked) she's a normal human. Invisibility is great but when you can't really carry any equipment and you're dealing with a world full of gigantic mutant shape people and random dudes off the street can breathe fire or shoot lasers from their eyes or whatever I dunno how great of a power it is at actually saving people.

I dig All Might but making him weaken so incredibly fast after passing his power on is kind of a bummer since it means his secret is going to have to be made known to the students at least sooner rather than later. I'm kinda hoping his power isn't somehow keeping him alive too because that's kind of a hosed up thing to pull on your successor without telling them first.

Also it'd be kinda grim in an unfitting way for the story as it is now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You kinda have to make him weaker with time so they stop relying on him as a Deus ex Machina and as an incentive for Deku to get stronger tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All Might losing his powers sucks. Also, why did they have to look for the Dragon Balls every time? Why not just put them in one place and use them like whenever?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

All Might losing his powers sucks. Also, why did they have to look for the Dragon Balls every time? Why not just put them in one place and use them like whenever?

The Dragon Balls scattered over the Earth every time a wish was made.

:goonsay:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RatHat posted:

:thejoke:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RatHat posted:

Oh my god

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

I dig All Might but making him weaken so incredibly fast after passing his power on is kind of a bummer since it means his secret is going to have to be made known to the students at least sooner rather than later. I'm kinda hoping his power isn't somehow keeping him alive too because that's kind of a hosed up thing to pull on your successor without telling them first.

Naw he was pretty explicit in it.
Venom chainsaw ripped out of most of his chest and he's living on borrowed time.
He's probably going to use his last minute of buffed up All Might time to announce his retirement and successor or as a last ditch sacrifice to save someone.

Probably the latter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/299900/boku-no-hero-academia_ch27_by_fallen-angels/

Holla at a new chapter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ooh, an interesting mix of old and new in that teamup.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I hope every time Izuku has to team up with someone there is at least one person he has had little to no interaction with to that point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Interesting. Between their quirks and gadgets, couldn't Deku's team just float above the fray and just use either grappling tech or shadow reach to grab other team's headbands? Other than of course team Anger Bomb going completely mental over getting their headband.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's so much fun seeing all these unique characters and the artist actually DOING something with them.
This is what Bleach could have been.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gyges posted:

Interesting. Between their quirks and gadgets, couldn't Deku's team just float above the fray and just use either grappling tech or shadow reach to grab other team's headbands? Other than of course team Anger Bomb going completely mental over getting their headband.

Other teams have quirks too though. Sero could just launch tape ribbons at them to pull them down, Bakugou could basically have his team rocket jump after them, Tsuyu obviously has her tongue, etc. I'm sure the gravity thing will be useful, but I can't fathom it being gamebreaking, even before you calculate in the "this has to be interesting as a story and not just an accurate portrayal of how it would work" factor.

Also I liked the translator's attempts at localized names after the chapter, it was cute

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Digging Deku's goofy expressions in this chapter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Also I liked the translator's attempts at localized names after the chapter, it was cute

"Call me Polly." :3:

Edit: I'd probably make Tsuyu's full name something like Paulina, so you could still do the whole "Call me X" joke, since it'd be a bit awkward in English if they used family names.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 24, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Horikoshi has a real gift for facial expressions.

I wonder if gadget girl's eyes are related to her quirk. Some sort of super-precision or such.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Countblanc posted:

Other teams have quirks too though. Sero could just launch tape ribbons at them to pull them down, Bakugou could basically have his team rocket jump after them, Tsuyu obviously has her tongue, etc. I'm sure the gravity thing will be useful, but I can't fathom it being gamebreaking, even before you calculate in the "this has to be interesting as a story and not just an accurate portrayal of how it would work" factor.

Given what the team has though, they essentially have team flight. It's way harder to hit a moving target going, apparently, at jet speed. Also gravity canceling clearly works all the way into outerspace, so just hovering at a great height would work.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kyte posted:

Horikoshi has a real gift for facial expressions.

I wonder if gadget girl's eyes are related to her quirk. Some sort of super-precision or such.

Turbo...what does it mean?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah hawkguy

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cameos from Sleepy Hollow Girl, MLP Girl (She's got horns. Ram Girl?) and... Kid Blackface?

I'm glad someone picked Mineta, he's small enough to hide and can glue his headband on.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Countblanc posted:

But I'm thinking that hawkboy's shadow is going to give them amazing mobility. And if that jetpack actually works, they could still be one of the most moble teams out there, which appears to be Deku's goal.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I have absolutely no complaints with this team setup. Can't wait to see them in action.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Couldn't help but notice the rules specified that the headband "Has to be worn above the neck" and not "Has to be worn as a headband".

Someone's going to shove it in their mouth or meld it into their head or something. Even grape boy can just super glue his onto his head.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Grape boy's grapes don't stick to himself. Tape guy could probably tape it around his forehead though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

RatHat posted:

Grape boy's grapes don't stick to himself. Tape guy could probably tape it around his forehead though.

Yeah but they stick to other people and their bandanas. His power is crazy good for this fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This event is all about groups and physical contact. Mineta has the potential to be the mvp this round, assuming someone with half a brain tells him to do something other than hide and leer at girls. He can glue his horse, freeing up arms and making the rider secure. He can glue clashing groups together, making them vulnerable to a third party. The sky's the limit, really. poo poo, messing with headbands is the absolute least he can do.

I forget, though. Exactly what was the tentacle dude's quirk again?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Fuckin'.....look at him. That's it.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Serious Frolicking posted:

This event is all about groups and physical contact. Mineta has the potential to be the mvp this round, assuming someone with half a brain tells him to do something other than hide and leer at girls. He can glue his horse, freeing up arms and making the rider secure. He can glue clashing groups together, making them vulnerable to a third party. The sky's the limit, really. poo poo, messing with headbands is the absolute least he can do.

He's a shapeshifter. Can change his body parts around and stuff.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

RatHat posted:

If Grapes can't stick grapes to himself, how did he manage to hitch a ride on class rep girl last chapter? He can switch it on and off.

So yeah, his quirk is absurdly well suited to this challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Emzedoh posted:

If Grapes can't stick grapes to himself, how did he manage to hitch a ride on class rep girl last chapter? He can switch it on and off.

So yeah, his quirk is absurdly well suited to this challenge.

I'm just going by what the character said.