Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Three-Phase posted:

If someone has an animated GIF of Hank Venture jumping off the roof with an umbrella, please post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7sZQ9WaPj0

Close enough?

Oh and :nws: :nms: :nws: :nms: or whatever, just like everything else in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I know that's supposed to make me :stonk: because the guy died but honestly every time I see that video it looks like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
yeah if you honestly thought that would slow your fall you deserve death

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's watching stuff like this where my primitive, anecdote emphasizing mind wonders how the hell we survived 250,000 years of adaptation from our common ancestor.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Warmachine posted:

It's watching stuff like this where my primitive, anecdote emphasizing mind wonders how the hell we survived 250,000 years of adaptation from our common ancestor.

Its because people like that removed themselves from the gene pool.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its because people like that removed themselves from the gene pool.

but when one consider the nearly countless youtube videos of people doing stupid poo poo, and the many stories everyone has of their dumb friend doing a dumb thing, one must conclude that such behavior has still not been bred out of the human gene pool via this particular mechanism of natural selection. so either this mechanism doesn't exist (seems unlikely), or there is something else going on

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Kin selection. They distract the bear while their relatives get away.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A certain amount of risk-taking is helpful for innovation, over time it is good for the group. A group that never voluntarily takes risks or changes or challenges anything will stagnate.

It's nearly always young men taking the really insane risks. Rarely women, and most men who survive their teens/twenties tend to settle down. Having the young men do the risky poo poo is good because young men are the best suited for surviving many kinds of risks, and because having a small percentage of young men die doing dumbass stunts doesn't really affect the group's ability to thrive. A small surplus of nubile young women is rarely a problem.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Darkman Fanpage posted:

yeah if you honestly thought that would slow your fall you deserve death

The modern ones do, so the theory is not wrong, per se, just misguided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQr6TH8gtg

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

A certain amount of risk-taking is helpful for innovation, over time it is good for the group. A group that never voluntarily takes risks or changes or challenges anything will stagnate.

It's nearly always young men taking the really insane risks. Rarely women, and most men who survive their teens/twenties tend to settle down. Having the young men do the risky poo poo is good because young men are the best suited for surviving many kinds of risks, and because having a small percentage of young men die doing dumbass stunts doesn't really affect the group's ability to thrive. A small surplus of nubile young women is rarely a problem.

so then explain russia

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lufiron posted:

so then explain russia

Russia defies explanation. A wizard did it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNuD4j0m2Qk

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lufiron posted:

so then explain russia

Vodka

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that masonry walls are ready to fall at any moment.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Skinny Bins posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that masonry walls are ready to fall at any moment.

They're very strong for one particular loading.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

My Q-Face posted:

The modern ones do, so the theory is not wrong, per se, just misguided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQr6TH8gtg

:stonk:

Flying like that must be incredible, don't think I'd ever risk my life for that but it does look cool
The end of the video when they go into the hole on the mountain ... welp, just see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz_tORw0KY

about 2 min in

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Minrad posted:

"I got you bro"

the odds of two nearly identical dump trucks hitting each other seems really low

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gmc_ZOiag

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can't entirely hate that. It obviously works, it's kind of ingenious, and he's wearing face protection. I can still envision it brutally murdering someone, ofc.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Computer viking posted:

I can't entirely hate that. It obviously works, it's kind of ingenious, and he's wearing face protection. I can still envision it brutally murdering someone, ofc.

Yeah but that's true of any bandsaw, even industrial grade ones. His design is pretty great because not only will the blade snake out in lateral directions away from the user, but he has this big rear end engine between him and the saw that he can just duck behind if something explodes. My only concern is that the blade is dumping a lot of heat into those tires, causing them to flex and expand at dissimilar rates. I think as long as you give the rig time to cool down between cuts, and you don't cut for hours at time, it would all be fine.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I do like that he cuts by pushing the thing away from himself, and it sounds like the blade power stops when either he lets go or it crosses a certain point in the track.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Seems like it would better if the blade was oriented vertically so you wouldn't risk the blade binding up between the wood, but I don't know if thats a problem with a bandsaw.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
He's got a massive motor on there, so the chance of the blade binding is pretty slim. If it did somehow bind there's a good chance the tires would start to spin freely under the trapped blade he'd hear it. The best part of the blade being horizontal like that is that if it snaps it's ejected safely and predictably away from the machine.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

this is bad as gently caress

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

I always thought of them more as a don't-poke-your-eye-out prevention measure

Those are mostly brush guards. They're obviously better than nothing, and will save your rear end if you fall on a bar that's generally at your level. They won't pass as impalement protection to an OSHA/ministry of labour inspector. The approved caps have a larger top area to disperse the load if you fall on it, and an embedded metal plate.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

ZZZorcerer posted:

Flying like that must be incredible, don't think I'd ever risk my life for that but it does look cool

If they made a wingsuit that would support my fat rear end, I'd fly it in a heartbeat, and consider it a pretty good way to go out if things went south. It totally looks worth the risk, to me.

nomadologique posted:

this is bad as gently caress

That's the guy you want in your tribe when the zombies come.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Here's the same type of bandsaw, but far more dangerous, due to the fact he's using it in the middle of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Krv3gE-c4&t=106s

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

He needs to change the design so that he isn't forced to operate the saw by pushing it over the piece being cut. I can just see him tripping over the log and putting enough of his weight on the rig that it causes the blade to seize up.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Saw (har har har) this years ago. Man invented table saw safety and tests it on his finger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk&sns=em

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Human Frogger World Champion 2015

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

Spaseman posted:

He needs to change the design so that he isn't forced to operate the saw by pushing it over the piece being cut. I can just see him tripping over the log and putting enough of his weight on the rig that it causes the blade to seize up.

All it needs is an offset handle and a blade gaurd. His design is far better than most home made sawmills. It's not much different than most commercially available portable sawmills .

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

blunt for century posted:

Here's the same type of bandsaw, but far more dangerous, due to the fact he's using it in the middle of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Krv3gE-c4&t=106s

didn't that guy go crazy and move to south america cause my taxes

also thinks anyone could do what he did just drop a couple of grand and move out to the wilderness

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

I wonder how many OSHA accident reports get filed due to the worker's weight exceeding whatever weight standards are set for whatever's supporting him

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That looks more like a case of an old wooden ladder that was rotting on the inside.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The saw seems pretty decent.

ZZZorcerer posted:

:stonk:

The end of the video when they go into the hole on the mountain ... welp, just see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz_tORw0KY

about 2 min in

A few years back I was in a mall that had a store "stop here for all your extreme sports needs", but when asked they didn't do wingsuits, just bungee jumping and skydiving. Its utterly stupid to do it but I still want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What else are the 'standard' extreme sports, then? When I hear that term, those are certainly the three that come to mind for me. Are they counting mountain climbing as one or something, or are they just an outlet for old XFL merchandise?

• Locked thread