Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bokkibear
Feb 28, 2005

Humour is the essence of a democratic society.

jrodefeld posted:

Your argument that is is merely superior technology that accounts for the rising cost of healthcare does not wash. This is not true in any other sector of the economy where dramatically increasing levels of technology have actually lowered costs.

Why are computers not drastically more expensive than they were thirty years ago given how much more powerful and sophisticated they are today?

Healthcare has transformed in many ways over the past half century but improved technology usually results in labor saving for the same procedures and routines. We can compare apples to apples and when we do we see that heart surgery in 1960 and heart surgery in 2015 are drastically different in cost, with the inflated cost outstripping the CPI over the past half century.

Like-for-like costs have lowered, but healthcare has effectively opened up new markets. When Apple brought out the iPhone, the average amount of spending on tech went up significantly; not because they were paying more for the same thing, but because they wanted this new thing that didn't exist. Treating "1960s healthcare" as equivalent to "2015 healthcare" is not reasonable.

Heart surgery is significantly more effective than it used to be, at a much greater material and skill cost. Because people will pay any amount for their lives, there's much less of a need for suppliers to compromise quality against price - the suppliers pay more for the better kit and doctors, and pass the costs on to consumers, who receive a better service at a better price.

In the technology world, people's budget for a new desktop computer is roughly $500-$1500. So tech companies focus on producing computers that fall in that price range. If the speed of your computer determined whether you lived or died, computers would get much much more expensive, because tech companies would design computers that cost $20,000, passing the cost of development and material onto the consumer.

Comparing tech prices to healthcare prices isn't very useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

Did this fool just credit libertarians for decriminalization in the Netherlands?

No I said that decriminalization of drugs is a core libertarian reform that we have been advocating for a long time. But, as mentioned, this is also an issue where leftists agree so I won't continue to count it as an exclusively "libertarian" reform or idea.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Your argument that is is merely superior technology that accounts for the rising cost of healthcare does not wash. This is not true in any other sector of the economy where dramatically increasing levels of technology have actually lowered costs.

Why are computers not drastically more expensive than they were thirty years ago given how much more powerful and sophisticated they are today?

Healthcare has transformed in many ways over the past half century but improved technology usually results in labor saving for the same procedures and routines. We can compare apples to apples and when we do we see that heart surgery in 1960 and heart surgery in 2015 are drastically different in cost, with the inflated cost outstripping the CPI over the past half century.

The other angle to this is that if you examine the sector of healthcare where State interference is less, like Lasik eye surgery, cosmetic dentistry and surgery, we see falling prices due to price competition. Insurance don't cover these procedures and the State doesn't pay for them either. Yet prices have continually fallen in Lasik eye surgery even though the technology has continued to improve.

We can similarly see that where price competition is introduced into conventional medicine, as with the Oklahoma Surgery Center that advertises its prices for common procedures, prices fall far below the cost at other hospitals that rely on State funding and insurance payments.

You're not understanding what is being said here Jrodefeld. It isn't just that technology is better, it is that entirely new fields of life saving technology have been created, and that when you lump that together, costs are far higher as a result.

Do you think more or less money overall is being spent on cell phones today than in say... 1980? Clearly it is more, Just about everyone owns a cell phone now, whereas in 1980 almost no one had a cell phone. Now what about... say.... open heart surgery? This was a proceedure that was in its infancy in the 1960's. Individual open heart transplants probably cost in the millions of dollars back then, and were more or less non-existent because the number of trained surgeons who were available to do the proceedure were miniscule. But as time went on the cost of doing the surgery lowered, while at the same time the number of surgeries shot through the roof. This means there was more money being spent on heart surgeries, even though the average cost of surgeries decreased.

In 1950 they gave you nitroglycerin for a heart attack, at the cost of a few hundred dollars in pills. Today you pay tens of thousands but have a better life expectancy. Additional costs produced better results, but it also caused overall spending on medical costs to drastically increase. This has been explained to you multiple loving times.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

jrodefeld posted:

Because computer technology went from "giant room-sized systems involving delicate vacuum tubes" to "little bits of silicon we can crank out like crazy." Medical technology, on the other hand, went from a doctor being able to go to a patient's house with his kit to giant room-sized systems involving liquid helium and massive electromagnets. These systems are able to do things that home-visit doctor couldn't even comprehend, but they are also extremely expensive.

jrodefeld posted:

Ah yes, cheaper versions of the same routines. So what was the typical 1960 price of an MRI, exactly? And even if we just look at heart surgery, how do outcomes compare between those two eras?

jrodefeld posted:

The other angle to this is that if you examine the sector of healthcare where State interference is less, like Lasik eye surgery, cosmetic dentistry and surgery, we see falling prices due to price competition. Insurance don't cover these procedures and the State doesn't pay for them either. Yet prices have continually fallen in Lasik eye surgery even though the technology has continued to improve.

Those are notable for not being subject to the inelastic demand scenario we were talking about. If I don't want to pay the going rate for cosmetic dentistry, I don't get it, and my teeth are crooked. If I don't want to pay the going rate for heart surgery, I loving die. Do you understand the difference here? Do you understand why "gosh, that's too expensive, I'd rather not" only applies in one of those cases?

jrodefeld posted:

We can similarly see that where price competition is introduced into conventional medicine, as with the Oklahoma Surgery Center that advertises its prices for common procedures, prices fall far below the cost at other hospitals that rely on State funding and insurance payments.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know much about the OSC, so I'll leave this to more informed goons.

jrodefeld posted:

Comparing healthcare costs in the United States to a place like Canada is not an apt comparison if your goal is to prove that since healthcare costs are lower in Canada that somehow means that State intervention doesn't cause excessive price inflation. Canada's healthcare costs are likely to be inflated beyond what would exist in a market economy.

And the USA's are inflated vastly beyond that. So why can we draw a clear line through "government intervention" and "cost of medical care" and have the slope go the opposite way that you're claiming? And don't start with that "correlation is not causation" crap, because you're trying to say "complete lack of correlation is causation."

jrodefeld posted:

There are too many moving parts in a complex economy and with central banking and fiscal policy of the governments of different nations to make precisely productive comparisons.

Oh, that's very convenient! There are a lot of moving parts and complexities that make it difficult to figure out why prices do things all of a sudden! However, what we can discern from this is that the obvious answer with strong correlation and a clear mechanism is wrong, with no need for explanation or counter-theory.

jrodefeld posted:

The best comparison is the one I have made where you compare, ceteris paribus, the costs of healthcare where there is no government involvement in the same economy to where there is heavy government involvement. Or to compare costs of healthcare from before the State got involved and insurance companies took on an outsized role in paying medical expenses to after these interventions took place.

If we do that, all evidence points to the fact that State intervention and third party payer schemes raise the cost of medical care way beyond the general inflation rate in the broader economy.

So you're claiming that "modern technology in a modern economy in two neighboring countries" is a silly comparison because there are too many differences, but "the same country fifty-five years apart, with massive cultural and technological and economic changes in the meantime" are pretty much the same except for more government intervention. Does that about sum up your argument?

I'm really curious as to the mechanism you assume is going on with this government-increasing-prices hypothesis of yours. Do you understand how monopsony works? If I have a bunch of oil, and there's only one refinery I can get to, my options are "sell my oil to that one refinery at whatever price they're asking" or "don't sell my oil." Similarly, if I'm a doctor and I charge the government's single-payer agency an inflated $500 for some procedure, and they say "gently caress you, our fee schedule says $125," what the hell am I going to do about it? Start charging my patients out of pocket when they can get the same thing from someone else who doesn't?

I know you've tried to say that the government has no incentive to lower prices because it doesn't have a profit motive, but that's completely absurd. There are other incentives involved for the people running it, like "if we go over budget this year the prime minister is going to be pissed at us and probably fire me." The idea that the profit motive is the only motive is an extremely telling one, though. It might be the only motive that appeals to you and your ilk, but the rest of us have some sense of personal responsibility and shared humanity that lets us look at a situation beyond "how can I make a buck off of this?"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

jrodefeld posted:

First off, why did you pick this post when other posts dealt with the technology aspect as well as other possible factors. He just singled out technology, but you can deal with more than one argument at a time, you know.

The other thing is that healthcare is not like most other sectors of the economy. A lot of the stuff that hospitals use, they may only have one or two. It's very specialized equipment that is both difficult to build, but is also difficult to maintain and can take up a lot of room. Have you seen an MRI machine?

Also, that means these things aren't being replaced on a regular basis. For instance, my company probably has about 10,000 desktop computers, and every year, we probably replace over 1,000 computers, as well as buy any new ones we need. Due to the economy of scale, the cost of the computer shrinks because there is more demand for them, there is actually more need to try to more efficiently create supply.

quote:

Because there's more demand than there is for an MRI machine. Everybody has a computer. Nobody has an MRI machine. That means more time and money will go into finding ways to make computers cheaper to build while getting the same result because that vastly increases your profit margins.

quote:

That's not apples to apples! That's like apple juice to an apple tree. Medical practices and knowledge have increased since 1960, as well as positive outcomes.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/102/suppl_4/Iv-87.full

Just look at some of these pictures of the equipment they're using. And once again, we're talking about equipment that has to be very precise, have very low failure rates, that are expensive to build, ship, install, maintain, and use.

quote:

I ask you this all the time, but do you evaluate your arguments and see how they could possibly be picked apart, at all? Because comparing Lasik to open heart surgery is like comparing an model airplane to a rocket ship.

So first off, Lasik doesn't have the same barriers that open heart surgery does. You don't need to be in a sterile room. You don't need to have a team of experts working. You don't have a doctor who's sole job is to keep you under anesthesia and make sure you don't die. You have a machine that's easier to install, and there is more room in the market for a Lasik machine. Also, these machines are likely to see more use than the machinery used for heart surgery, which means all the costs associated with getting a Lasik machine can be spread across a higher number of people.

Also, do we see falling prices due to competition? Competition doesn't just make prices fall. Plenty of other things do.

quote:

But... but... but the OSC still has to function within government regulations! It's not to say that they aren't doing something interesting, but it's not the revolution you say it is.

But to your point - comparing OSC with a hospital isn't still a fair comparison. First off, OSC doesn't do emergency care. You won't be going to OSC to get an appendectomy. Which means that the class of people who can't afford to pay for surgery are kicked out, since they can turn away people who can't pay. Secondly, OSC doesn't have the same needs as a hospital, since most of their work is really outpatient work. You're not going to have people going to your hospital to get a surgery where they'll need to stay there for a few days. OSC is not doing cancer treatments or other things that hospitals will do. Which means you have less overhead since you're likely to have less staff and less demand.

It seems like the patients who are going to OSC are generally going to be people who are healthier than those going to a hospital.

Also, how does our idea for healthcare means that there won't be competition.

quote:

Comparing healthcare costs in the United States to a place like Canada is not an apt comparison if your goal is to prove that since healthcare costs are lower in Canada that somehow means that State intervention doesn't cause excessive price inflation. Canada's healthcare costs are likely to be inflated beyond what would exist in a market economy.

There are too many moving parts in a complex economy and with central banking and fiscal policy of the governments of different nations to make precisely productive comparisons.

The best comparison is the one I have made where you compare, ceteris paribus, the costs of healthcare where there is no government involvement in the same economy to where there is heavy government involvement. Or to compare costs of healthcare from before the State got involved and insurance companies took on an outsized role in paying medical expenses to after these interventions took place.

If we do that, all evidence points to the fact that State intervention and third party payer schemes raise the cost of medical care way beyond the general inflation rate in the broader economy.

gently caress you. I mean it. gently caress. You.

This is what I just read. "Your argument disproves my argument, so I'm just going to dismiss it by saying that sure, prices are lower in Canada, but they'd be even lower in a market economy. Because if there's one thing that insurance programs and government agencies don't love doing, it's not demanding that they pay you less money."

In fact, did you know that some doctors refuse to take Medicaid patients because the prices required by Medicaid are too low for them to make money?

"Well, Cemetry Gator, I'm going to vomit some prose on the screen that makes me think that I'm smart, but makes me sound like a pretentious rear end. But back to your point, I did not know that because I don't do any research that doesn't come from Mises.org, and if I did do any research, I would obviously find that any facts that run contrary to my argument must be faulty and therefor invalid."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

Please take a moment to read Mises's "The Anti-Capitalist Mentality" and really ask yourself whose philosophy has actually caused the greatest rising living standards and increased well being for society as a whole. The notion that Marxists and advocates of State power are on the side of the average person is tragically misguided. These people simultaneously enjoy living standards and luxuries afforded only through private production and division of labor while railing against the system that has provided them, all while ignoring the blatant irony.

Are you loving kidding me? You're typing this on the Internet, invented wholly by the state, using electricity, regulated by the state, living in a building, ensured to be safe by the state, probably stocked with food, water, and things like headache or muscle ache pain relievers, all ensured safe by the state. You get to your job (if you're employed) on roads built by the state, and your 40 hour work week is a product of the state, as is overtime pay for anything over that should you so choose to work more than that.

So much of what you take for granted or wrongfully give credit to others is actually only possible via a state who puts the welfare of people over making profits. And you don't want to pay a loving dime for any of it, you goddamn leech, you parasite, you resource guzzling rear end in a top hat. You want others to pay for all the modern luxuries that you enjoy while giving absolutely nothing back. And you have the loving audacity to try and spin a lie to bring it around to us? No, it doesn't work like that, little boy. You don't get to rewrite reality like that.

So don't you loving dare try and call us morally bankrupt when you want to mooch off the backs of others, to steal what others have built, and to lay claim to what you have no right to.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

Do you honestly feel like absolute material equality is a virtuous, desirable or feasible goal? And you propose we achieve it through the State, which is the most blatantly anti-egalitarian institution ever created? This is a bankrupt ideology.

Yes, now put on these polyester coveralls with a UN patch on the breast. They have to last you one year.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Oh, PS - gently caress you Jrodefeld. We already had this conversation.

Read this post you rear end in a top hat and see that all the points you just brought up were already brought up by you and discussed.

And here's Caros' post on the OSC.

Caros posted:

The Oklahoma Surgery Center is capable of doing what it does because it is an elective Surgery Center that is capable of taking a small amount healthy patients who pay significant amounts of cash up front for procedures, something that isn't true of your typical hospital that performs the same procedures. They have no administrative staff, and their prices increase dramatically when insurance is involved.

Moreover, the actual prices between local hospitals and the surgery center are far closer than you suggest. The oft quoted $33,000 vs $5800 fee is only applicable when you are looking at the hospital's master charge sheet. No one, not even someone actually paying out of pocket pays the charge sheet price, which is typically inflated solely so that the hospital can barter with insurance companies, which is of course a problem of having multiple insurers instead of single payer.

So yeah, you can have a successful surgery center when it is run by ideological libertarians who cherry pick their patients and avoid most overhead. Its the same system used to make charter schools look good. If it was as good as you suggest, it wouldn't be nearly unique.

And I'm being abusive because you're being dense and refusing to listen to what we have to say.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Well now that you're answering questions, how about telling me how ISIL is managing to wage a somewhat successful war of conquest without a pre-existing tax base or market for its debt?

Because it kinda looks to me like proof that in the absence of a strong state able to exercise control of territory, it turns out it actually is very profitable to get a bunch of guys together, extort tribute from towns and villages, and seize oil wells for crude to sell on the black market, but idk, I'm open to the idea that ISIL came through a Slide from Caliphate Earth.

You have misunderstood my comments about war. I had never meant to say that war is impossible without a State or central banking. And I was not speaking about small scale terrorism or gang "war"-fare. This is plain criminality, not really an organized industrial war effort.

What I was trying to say is that if and when you have a productive, modern market economy such as we have in the United States and other first world nations, then war, specifically war against other nations, is made much less likely without a means of externalizing the costs of that conflict.

Supposing the United States was a libertarian, State-less society. Do you suppose anyone would choose to wage war in Iraq or Afghanistan if they had to privately finance it? No chance. If an anarchist society was attacked by a bunch of criminals like on 9/11, the most likely outcome is that privately financed mercenaries would go get Bin Laden and his co conspirators and kill them or bring them here for a trial. No ground invasion of a sovereign nation or anything like that. Quick, pinpoint accuracy. The cost of an ongoing conflict will be of great concern to the private financiers of a defensive conflict, so the emphasis would be to defend the society with the least cost and the shortest possible time.

Similarly, civil war between defense agencies or private arbitrators would be exceedingly unlikely because such a conflict is extremely unlikely to be worth the cost and businesses are interested in making profits. Civil war against another firm just so you can have one less competitor in the market, and knowing that another competitor could just spring up tomorrow, not to mention the ill will and anger that such an act would generate among the general population who they rely on as clients.

I was speaking of incentives. The facts are clear that large scale and prolonged wars are far more likely when leaders can resort to monetizing war debts and outsource the costs to taxpayers and citizen soldiers who are killed in the conflict.

Yes there are certain situations whereby a costly conquest could be profitable for a private group. But such examples, especially in the modern era, are exceedingly rare and far less likely than politicians and State contractors who almost ALWAYS stand to profit from taking nation-states to war.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

jrodefeld posted:

Please take a moment to read Mises's "The Anti-Capitalist Mentality" and really ask yourself whose philosophy has actually caused the greatest rising living standards and increased well being for society as a whole. The notion that Marxists and advocates of State power are on the side of the average person is tragically misguided. These people simultaneously enjoy living standards and luxuries afforded only through private production and division of labor while railing against the system that has provided them, all while ignoring the blatant irony.

Do you honestly feel like absolute material equality is a virtuous, desirable or feasible goal? And you propose we achieve it through the State, which is the most blatantly anti-egalitarian institution ever created? This is a bankrupt ideology.

People in the market who attain wealth through voluntary transactions deserve what they attain. They are free and indeed I would consider it a virtue, if they used their wealth to help others through charity and humanitarian pursuits. But we mustn't forget that it is the market economy that compels others to provide value to consumers in the pursuit of improving their own well being.

Envy is called the "green eyed monster" for a reason. It is a tragically destructive tendency of man. We should never think ill of a man because he has more than we do. We should think ill of him if he used coercion and theft to achieve his status in life.

Plenty of rich cronies have achieved their wealth through illegitimate means as I have stressed over and over. Again, it is the force, the coercion and the theft that makes these people deserving of our ire, not their superior wealth or social status.
The thing you keep missing is that what you try to set aside as those evil cronies are the face of capitalism, especially large-scale capitalism. If people were ethical and honest in how they went about conducting capitalism then it would be a flawless system. But people can and do abuse everything imaginable, and as people have told you countless times, do everything they can to circumvent the consumer's ability to make informed choices. Even if we set aside those who use what you would consider force/coercion, we're still left with entirely too many people who are in fact being blatantly unethical.

And "absolute material equality"? I'm sure some people want that, but for the most part it's a straw man. But the people who have an insane lust for amassing even more ridiculously large amounts of wealth are demonstrably making the world a worse place for everyone else in countless ways.

jrodefeld posted:

And no, voluntarily hiring workers is NOT theft of their labor for any Marxists who are reading this. I've explained why a thousand times. If I was speaking to an audience, my voice would be hoarse by repeating myself so many times.

I voluntary contract is not, by definition, theft unless that contract is signed under duress. But the presence of threats or intimidation would mean that the contract is not voluntary. That is a different subject.

I support the market and the division of labor instead of State intervention primarily BECAUSE I care about the masses of the people. It is the average person who needs the benefits of mass production, not the very wealthy.
And yet, employers and employees have an intrinsically unequal relationship, and people literally had to die for the employees' side to gain some small measure of ground to not be completely at their employers' mercy. Calling it "theft" is about as silly as calling taxes theft, but employers commonly make considerably more from workers' productivity than they actually pay. (Although it is shockingly common for them to engage in actual wage theft, confiscating a portion of tips and not paying employees what was actually agreed to.)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh, PS - gently caress you Jrodefeld. We already had this conversation.

Read this post you rear end in a top hat and see that all the points you just brought up were already brought up by you and discussed.

And here's Caros' post on the OSC.

And I'm being abusive because you're being dense and refusing to listen to what we have to say.

Oh yeah, I knew the OSC was something I'd talked about before, but damned if my brain could figure it out right now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

No chance. If an anarchist society was attacked by a bunch of criminals like on 9/11, the most likely outcome is that privately financed mercenaries would go get Bin Laden and his co conspirators and kill them or bring them here for a trial.

Real life isn't like Call of Duty, you ignorant child. Jesus, are you even out of high school? How can you write something so stupid?

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I just want to point out that Anarcho-capitalism hasn't actually caused any rising living standards since it is by and large a 20th century rump philosophy that was never adopted by anyone, whereas marxism can be directly traced to massive rises in the standard of living in the Soviet Union, even if that did come along with the brutalities of Stalinism.

quote:

Envy is called the "green eyed monster" for a reason. It is a tragically destructive tendency of man. We should never think ill of a man because he has more than we do. We should think ill of him if he used coercion and theft to achieve his status in life.

If my family is starving while Mitt Romney buys a car elevator and a dressage horse... yeah, I think I should think ill of him. The absurdly wealthy draw limited resources towards themselves, which is why we have people living in poverty in TTYOL 2015. Unless you're really arguing that the US is incapable of feeding, clothing and sheltering everyone, in which case.. HA!

quote:

And no, voluntarily hiring workers is NOT theft of their labor for any Marxists who are reading this. I've explained why a thousand times. If I was speaking to an audience, my voice would be hoarse by repeating myself so many times.

I voluntary contract is not, by definition, theft unless that contract is signed under duress. But the presence of threats or intimidation would mean that the contract is not voluntary. That is a different subject.

And taxation isn't theft. Really is a bitch when someone doesn't agree with your worldview isn't it? Threat of starvation is a form of duress btw.

Caros fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 25, 2015

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jrod, on the whole costs of the tech thing, you are even more dead wrong than the others have already pointed out. The most direct comparison possible is not computers -> personal computers, but room sized computers used by institutions then and now. These have gotten massively more powerful, but also massively more expensive. Have you seen the price on a state-of-the-art super computer, or even a data warehouse?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I've had enough of your strawmanning and twisting of things in your worthless addled mind. You stated a bullshit fact about he Pareto principal that is entirely unsupported by actual history or an actual understanding of the math and statistics involved, and then come back and decide that what I really meant was pure egalitarianism enforced by the state. You are the one who used an example that was conceived of, and has been repeated, solely for the purpose of denying that the poor have any right to and equitable piece of society's resources. You are the one who quotes racists and vile bigots and dances away from the obvious about what your horrible worldview is.

You are human scum. I have come to the point where I have so little respect for your opinions that your mere association with something is enough to make me think it is vile and hateful. You are literally human garbage. Your idiotic and twisted sense of ethics is profoundly naive and disconnected form the reality of most of people on earth and of recorded history, and you are beneath contempt. No idiotic track from your stupid prophet (and yes I have read plenty of mises) is going to change my mind, because I am not a fundamentally evil person like you.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 25, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

Supposing the United States was a libertarian, State-less society. Do you suppose anyone would choose to wage war in Iraq or Afghanistan if they had to privately finance it? No chance. If an anarchist society was attacked by a bunch of criminals like on 9/11, the most likely outcome is that privately financed mercenaries would go get Bin Laden and his co conspirators and kill them or bring them here for a trial. No ground invasion of a sovereign nation or anything like that. Quick, pinpoint accuracy. The cost of an ongoing conflict will be of great concern to the private financiers of a defensive conflict, so the emphasis would be to defend the society with the least cost and the shortest possible time.

Do you know how hard it was to find Bin Laden? We didn't know if he was in that house or not. It was a massive risk.

And what do you do when Bin Laden is being supported by another state. Did you really think the Taliban was just going to say "hey mercenaries, feel free to kill some of our citizens! We won't stop you!"

You really are childishly naive. Read something other than Mises.org trash on a daily basis and you might understand how the world works.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Etalommi posted:

Jrod, on the whole costs of the tech thing, you are even more dead wrong than the others have already pointed out. The most direct comparison possible is not computers -> personal computers, but room sized computers used by institutions then and now. These have gotten massively more powerful, but also massively more expensive. Have you seen the price on a state-of-the-art super computer, or even a data warehouse?

Eh, what? No, commodity supercomputers of today cost roughly the same as the high end mainframes of the past. A single room size computer of the 50s say, cost $10 million in today's money to start, before you started tossing in upgrades. And the Cray XC40 supercomputers cost around $10 million in current dollars today for a low-mid-range system. The ultra fastest supercomputer in the world costs $390 million, sure, but it's assembled mostly out of 32,000 standard server CPUs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Read this cute explanation that a guy pulled out of his rear end.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Jrod doesn't have time to read history. He's too wrapped up in the alt history fanfiction deviant art website of Mises to do anything like that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

You have misunderstood my comments about war. I had never meant to say that war is impossible without a State or central banking. And I was not speaking about small scale terrorism or gang "war"-fare. This is plain criminality, not really an organized industrial war effort.

ISIL is plain criminality and not an organized war effort? Really? Okay, so a criminal entity controls more land than the government of Monaco but Monaco is a big scary coercive State the imposes taxes at gunpoint, but ISIL is just a dinky criminal gang, no big deal. :laugh:

jrodefeld posted:

What I was trying to say is that if and when you have a productive, modern market economy such as we have in the United States and other first world nations, then war, specifically war against other nations, is made much less likely without a means of externalizing the costs of that conflict.

Seizing oil wells, and rolling into town and demanding tribute and conscripts isn't "externalizing the costs of the conflict"?

jrodefeld posted:

Supposing the United States was a libertarian, State-less society. Do you suppose anyone would choose to wage war in Iraq or Afghanistan if they had to privately finance it?

Oh yay, instead of a bad president starting a war every 10 or 20 years and killing a few thousand Americans, we get the entire world divided up among ISIL or yakuza style gangs, each of whom kill that many before breakfast. What a great world you're painting here, sign me the gently caress up!

jrodefeld posted:

Private individuals would solve everything

Hey where are those private groups battling ISIL with great success, hmmm?

Oh poo poo, ISIL is the private group that defeated them all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

VitalSigns posted:

Oh yay, instead of a bad president starting a war every 10 or 20 years and killing a few thousand Americans, we get the entire world divided up among ISIL or yakuza style gangs, each of whom kill that many before breakfast. What a great world you're painting here, sign me the gently caress up!

And once again, we're back to cyberpunk/shadowrun, chummer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

No I said that decriminalization of drugs is a core libertarian reform that we have been advocating for a long time. But, as mentioned, this is also an issue where leftists agree so I won't continue to count it as an exclusively "libertarian" reform or idea.

This is a good thing.

jrodefeld posted:

You don't seem to understand that an MRI machine costs a fuckton to build and operate, but they didn't even exist until the 1970s. And there are many other examples of new techniques existing in the medical field that didn't exist 50 years ago.

Coincidentally, countries with more centralized healthcare systems actually spend much less per capita than we do. This directly contradicts your claim that government involvement can only lead to higher healthcare spending.

quote:

If you take "total computing expenses" and plot it over time, you'll find that total computing expenditures have increased significantly over the previous 30 years; almost no one had a computer in 1985, yet today you're a weirdo if you don't have a desktop, a laptop, and a smart phone. And that's for a set of goods with extremely elastic prices. What do you think happens for inelastic goods like healthcare when new and expensive advances come along?

quote:

Actually, according to the NCPA, average Lasik prices have risen significantly in recent years.

This is exactly the kind of thing that we're talking about. Per-procedure, traditional LASIK has fallen in price. But technological advances (direct wavefront sensing of the retina) have resulted in people opting for more expensive and safer procedures. Similarly, MRIs didn't even exist in the 1960s, but they are incredibly valuable tools. The average person in 1950 wasn't given access to an MRI, even if they really needed access to one, because MRIs simply didn't exist!

quote:

Despite greater state involvement? That seems to show the opposite of what you're trying to claim. Why is Canada's greater level of government involvement resulting in cheaper per-capita healthcare expenses there?

... Could it be that the Canadian government has ultimate bargaining power and can push down prices provided by private enterprises that are eager to get the contract serving an entire country of people?

quote:

Let's do that then. What's the overhead rate for Medicare versus a private insurance company? That seems like a good place to start. Oh, Medicare charges significantly less overhead? Hmm, that's odd. I thought that the state always paid way more than private enterprise?

quote:

Clearly this isn't true

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Similarly, civil war between defense agencies or private arbitrators would be exceedingly unlikely because such a conflict is extremely unlikely to be worth the cost and businesses are interested in making profits. Civil war against another firm just so you can have one less competitor in the market, and knowing that another competitor could just spring up tomorrow, not to mention the ill will and anger that such an act would generate among the general population who they rely on as clients.

I was speaking of incentives. The facts are clear that large scale and prolonged wars are far more likely when leaders can resort to monetizing war debts and outsource the costs to taxpayers and citizen soldiers who are killed in the conflict.

Yes there are certain situations whereby a costly conquest could be profitable for a private group. But such examples, especially in the modern era, are exceedingly rare and far less likely than politicians and State contractors who almost ALWAYS stand to profit from taking nation-states to war.

If an oil tycoon could afford it, I'm sure they'd be happy to invade an oil-rich region like Iraq in order to claim its resources for himself. They would reap a huge profit. Any investors providing funding for the effort would earn a crazy good return on their investment.

You're daft if you think that this couldn't happen.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Mornacale posted:

Since you're actually answering questions about healthcare, I am not going to debate you about libertarianism's inherent racism. But I want to just give you an idea to mull over. When asked if racial discrimination is morally wrong, the first thrusts of your response are 1) justifying the idea of not preventing it, and 2) nitpicking about how it's okay sometimes. This suggests to the reader that you are more concerned with not being called racist than with actually ending racism. I would ask you to really seriously think about what caused you to address the question in this way.

e: Just for clarity, I am not trying to drive you to the conclusion "I, jrod, secretly hate all black people" because I am honestly willing to believe you that you want the best for others.

Could not the exact same argument be made against the ACLU or other left-wing free speech groups who support the rights of bigots to publish hate speech? No one accuses ACLU lawyers of being secret racists when they come to the defense of people who make reprehensible statements. Their goal as an organization is in the defense of the Bill of Rights and any restriction on these rights, even for popular measures such as stifling hate speech, creates a chilling effect and precedent for the censorship or suppression of less controversial speech and eventually all speech becomes threatened.

It is the same with the libertarian. You question our commitment to "anti racism" because we defend the right of the private property owner to discriminate on who he can invite onto his property or who he can dis-invite. The right to freedom of association and the right to be free from coercion against your person or property is the principle that libertarians are trying to defend.

Similar to ACLU defenses of the right to free speech of bigots, the libertarian opposes the use of aggression against private property owners even for bigots because we know that the betrayal of this principle of private property as an expression of self ownership will inevitably create precedent for further rights violations until the private property owner is being inundated from all sides with demands and conditions on how he must use his property, how he must not, and who he can and must associate with on his private property through the establishment of strict racial quotas for hiring practices, and leaving him vulnerable to lawsuits and all manner of expensive and time consuming litigation.

Of course this principle of private property is of urgent importance to the black community as well. The black entrepreneur should have the understood right to use his or her property in the manner they see fit. They don't need to be the victim of systemic assaults on private property any more than white folks or Asians or Hispanics.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
How about coke having union leaders assassinated in south America.

But yeah, businesses and corporations never have incentive to harm people

Or the loving East India companies funding privateers gently caress sakes

e; the ACLU also fights to make sure bigoted actions are stopped you disingenuous gently caress, which is the whole point of what was pointed out, that you decry racism when accused of it but don't care beyond that.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 25, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Could not the exact same argument be made against the ACLU or other left-wing free speech groups who support the rights of bigots to publish hate speech? No one accuses ACLU lawyers of being secret racists when they come to the defense of people who make reprehensible statements. Their goal as an organization is in the defense of the Bill of Rights and any restriction on these rights, even for popular measures such as stifling hate speech, creates a chilling effect and precedent for the censorship or suppression of less controversial speech and eventually all speech becomes threatened.

The ACLU simultaneously supports free speech while fighting against people who seek to commit bigoted actions. For instance, the ACLU would happily provide representation to an African American who was banned from a restaurant on the basis of skin color. Libertarians would not do the same.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

No. Because the ACLU and other left-wing free speech groups who support the rights of bigots to publish hate speech do not frequently quote David Duke in support of their economic arguments. No one makes the argument that the ACLU is racist because it is apparent from moment one that they are absolutely aware that the people they are defending are saying racist poo poo and that the only reason they are defending them is that free speech is a virtue and ultimately speech in and of itself does no harm, particularly in comparison to the harm that could be done by stifling it.

quote:

It is the same with the libertarian. You question our commitment to "anti racism" because we defend the right of the private property owner to discriminate on who he can invite onto his property or who he can dis-invite. The right to freedom of association and the right to be free from coercion against your person or property is the principle that libertarians are trying to defend.

For fuckssake dude you are putting "Anti racism" in scare quotes. This sends the message that you don't really think that being anti-racism is a serious thing, which is why people are concerned about you.

That aside, the difference is that segregation laws directly hurt people, have been struck down by the courts and are almost universally held to be reprehensible. We already have dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of regulations on what you can and cannot do with your property, particularly if you are a business. You can't serve dangerous food, you can't leave your business as a fire hazard, you can't lock the doors on your factory workers, and if you are a business you have to serve everyone equally regardless of race, gender, sexual preference and so forth.

quote:

Similar to ACLU defenses of the right to free speech of bigots, the libertarian opposes the use of aggression against private property owners even for bigots because we know that the betrayal of this principle of private property as an expression of self ownership will inevitably create precedent for further rights violations until the private property owner is being inundated from all sides with demands and conditions on how he must use his property, how he must not, and who he can and must associate with on his private property through the establishment of strict racial quotas for hiring practices, and leaving him vulnerable to lawsuits and all manner of expensive and time consuming litigation.p/quote]

So... the slippery slope argument. Jeeze, if you tell us we have to let blacks into our restaurants the next thing you know we'll have to stop storing those oily rags next to the stove! Those things you suggest are not 'inevitable' outcomes, or even necessarily bad outcomes. And unlike the ACLU's defense of free speech, the right to discriminate based on race is not one that our society believes should be more or less inviolate.

[quote]Of course this principle of private property is of urgent importance to the black community as well. The black entrepreneur should have the understood right to use his or her property in the manner they see fit. They don't need to be the victim of systemic assaults on private property any more than white folks or Asians or Hispanics.

Yeah, equal treatment! I mean sure whites own proportionally way more property than blacks or hispanics, but they should be up in arms defending libertarian ideals. How is that going for you Mr.Statistically 92% White, 67% male, 82% middle class libertarian? Its almost as if black people see through your argument and realize that people like Hoppe are just arguing for the return to segregation because they believe people other than whites are inferior to other races.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The ACLU simultaneously supports free speech while fighting against people who seek to commit bigoted actions. For instance, the ACLU would happily provide representation to an African American who was banned from a restaurant on the basis of skin color. Libertarians would not do the same.

They also don't try to legitimize racism in specific situations like Jrod did. Human garbage, etc.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jrodefeld posted:

Could not the exact same argument be made against the ACLU or other left-wing free speech groups who support the rights of bigots to publish hate speech? No one accuses ACLU lawyers of being secret racists when they come to the defense of people who make reprehensible statements.

:ohdear:

w-w-welll that's a nonsequitur, i mean, haha, i can't think of anybody mentioned in this thread making "reprehensible statements," no, haha, who could you be saying that about? whose statements could you be calling reprehensible, can't think of any of them, nosiree... haha... not anybody you've spent thousands of pages defending instead of attempting to make cogent arguments on relative points... ha...

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I too would appreciate more libertarians on this site, if only so that a discussion like this could be more comprehensive and not a thirty to one sort of pile on.

I maintain that this is really not a very good way to discuss these issues. There are a million different issues and every little diversion sidetracks discussions, complaints are levied that I didn't respond to specific posts and topics are switched before others are fully fleshed out.

I have one more thing to say about Hoppe and the racism charge against him. I will offer a concession of sorts. I was not too familiar with the Property and Freedom Society that he runs. I've looked into exactly who people like Jared Taylor and Richard Lynn are and I don't agree with any of that "racial realism" crap. I reject it completely.

I only judge what I read personally from Hoppe and, whatever his personal beliefs, his articulation of libertarian theory and Austrian economics are consistent with what every other notable libertarian intellectual has said for half a century or more, most of whom who have never uttered any un-PC statements. I've long known about Hoppe's social conservatism and his disdain for "left libertarians".

With this new evidence, I can say that there is a high likelihood that Hoppe personally believes in some of this "racial realism" stuff, or that there are racial differences in intelligence or whatever the continuum is on this line of controversial thinking.

And I can say that I profoundly disagree. I never actually meant to take time defending anyone else, but rather to defend myself and my own views. I'm not going to defend Hoppe against charges of racism or anyone else for that matter.

I don't mind people who dabble into controversial subjects and even those who hold controversial positions on race and genetic differences. Race is a subject where a full and open discussion is not possible for fear of being labeled "racist" or being silenced by the PC police. With that said, I think that some libertarians open courting of certain controversial figures are making a big mistake.

Here is some history. Murray Rothbard personally aligned himself with the New Left in the 1960s and his writings at the time reflected this alliance. He joined left coalitions in opposing the Vietnam War and he hated the Cold War militarism and propaganda of Bill Buckley and The Weekly Standard, who reciprocated that hatred. As we know in the 1970s he was instrumental in the founding of the Libertarian Party and libertarians became a third political choice, neither left nor right. This is where I feel Rothbard should have stayed, at least strategically.

What happened next is well known. The Koch Brothers became more and more influential and wanted to mold the libertarian movement and control it. They wanted to "sanitize" it and remove its teeth, remaking it into an inside-the-beltway, "respectable" and in many ways dumbed down movement that would be welcomed or at least tolerated by the D.C. opinion molders.

Murray Rothbard was infuriated by Ed Kochs 1980 run as the Libertarian Party nominee when he called libertarianism "low tax liberalism" and watered down the core tenets of the belief system. Soon he was fired from the Cato institute and his vocal criticisms of the Kochs made them lifelong enemies.

Rothbard, along with Lew Rockwell, went on to found the Ludwig von MIses Institute as a competing, far more intellectually vigorous and principled libertarian think tank organization. The Koch funded enterprises continued to try to make inroads into the mainstream through Cato and Reason magazine and they made continual overtures to the left and the D.C. crowd.

They basically purged Rothbard from their educational efforts, though students still read him his work wasn't provided or recommended. The same, to a lesser extent, is true of Mises. They preferred people read the more mainstream Hayek and Milton Friedman.

What happened next was unfortunate and a case of bad strategy all around. Rothbard and some elements and the Mises Institute sought new alliances to advance their more radical anti-State views. As a counter reaction to the supposed "left-libertarianism" of Cato, Reason and other Koch funded entities, they created new alliances most notably with the paleo conservatives. This, just as was Rothbard's alliance with the New Left in the 1960s, was one of convenience and strategy. People like Pat Buchanan, who was a genuine paleo-conservative, were not libertarians but hated the State enough and were similarly disaffected from the Republican Party as Murray was to the Koch enterprises.

What this alliance brought on was a bunch of baggage. These paleo-conservatives tented to hold a substantial degree of racial resentment that was not shared by libertarians. It was even proposed at the low point in libertarian popularity (right after the presidency of Ronald Reagan) that a deliberate strategy of "outreach to the rednecks" (and that exact phrase was used) should be pursued. This paleo-conservative alliance in addition to this strategy of seeking the support of anyone who held anger towards the State is the primary reason for the infamous "Ron Paul Newsletters" that have caused so much trouble for him over his political career.

Libertarians didn't believe any of that stuff that was printed in those newsletters, it was a cynical and stupid attempt to generate anti-State sentiment in angry white trash. Thankfully this tactic was abandoned by the mid 1990s as the institute came into its own.

This counter reaction to the Koch enterprises pushed the MIses Institute crowd to align more with paleo-conservatives over the years.

Let me explain something about many libertarians. We are primarily concerned with the principles of individual liberty, private property and non aggression, sound money and decentralism. As a small movement we tend to align ourselves in political coalitions with people we disagree with frequently, provided there is agreement on the central tenets that we believe in.

Some libertarians don't care whether someone personally holds an irrational racial prejudice in their heads so long as they believe in the non-aggression principle and private property rights, meaning that they would never initiate violence against someone no matter what they might think about them.

Jared Taylor and Richard Lynn are NOT libertarians. I would wager not even 1% of libertarians agree with them on their racial views.

Hans Hermann Hoppe is the one intellectual who never backed down from that early paleo-conservative strategy but doubled down on it. He has routinely harshly criticized left libertarians for a whole number of reasons, a few legitimate and many that are not legitimate. He seems to think that libertarians need to align heavily with radical conservatism. Even many at the MIses Institute have criticized him for these views.

Yet and still, as an economist and political theorist, I find him very good and I will continue to read him on issues that I agree and continue to strongly reject his social ideas and proposed strategy. I continue to find his writings on Argumentation Ethics and many of his criticisms of Democracy to be very interesting and compelling.

He authored one of the most influential (to me) articles/speeches I have heard. He critiqued and contrasted Marxist and Libertarian Class Analysis and I think made a compelling cases for what Marx gets right and what he gets wrong. It is indeed a libertarian class analysis and a different distinction between the exploited masses and the exploiters that needs to be expressed. As a comparison between radical leftist Marxism and radical libertarianism, I don't think it has any equal.

This is from a couple of pages back but I was at a convention yesterday and missed it at the time. The one question I have relates to the bolded section of this.

Jrodefeld, how do you deal with the conflict that arises from the fact that you now admit that Hoppe is probably a 'racial realist' (which is a cop out for just admitting he is racist) while trying to take the rest of his work at face value. You bring up his critisisms of democracy for example, and I'd have to argue that Hoppe's view on democracy and its failures is heavily influenced by his racially charged beliefs, just like his policy on immigration and any number of other things. For example, his work in Democracy: The God That Failed has a lot of focus on the ability to discriminate, which almost certainly ties back into his racial issues. More to the point, his views on the natural social elites tie in pretty understandably with his view that white people are the natural elites.

I would argue that part of the reason that Hoppe believes and argues that democracy is a failure is based on his misshapen racial bias. If we admit that this is true, and we should, then how do you seperate the parts that might be correct from the parts that are based around the inferiority of non-whites. Is democracy still a failure if it turns out that blacks and asians and hispanics don't bring down the natural social elites with their subhuman nature, but in fact white people are no different from anyone else?

It isn't enough for you to go "Yeah he is probably a racist" and then just keep on reading and believing everything he says, because it is clear that it informs your own policies in a dangerous way. This all circles back to "Forced Integration" a term that Hoppe uses as a synonym for desegregation. You've added that to vocabulary and internalized Hoppe's racist views, and you're trying to just go "wow, okay maybe he is a little racist" and then carry on like nothing has happened without reexamining what you learned.

As I got older I realized my dad was... kinda racist. I also realized he was wrong about a lot of things, such as things like economics. This caused me to re-evaluate what I'd learned from him and I found out I was wrong about a lot of poo poo. If you agree now that Hoppe is probably kinda racist, then you really need to reevaluate some of the information you picked up from him. Because otherwise you're being racist, even if you don't know it.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Muscle Tracer posted:

Hahahaha

Off the top of my head, other industries that have had their costs increased by technology include food preservation, transportation, telecommunications.

Back in the old days, all I needed to do to preserve food was rub salt on it, or smoke it! Nowadays, though, I have to not only buy a refrigerator, but also the electricity to run it! PRICES SKYROCKET!!

The time was, I got around on my own two good ol' feet, for FREE. Nowadays you can hardly buy a bicycle for $200, much less getting around in a car for thousands of dollars, or by plane for hundreds of dollars per trip!! LITERALLY INFINITE PRICE INFLATION!!!

My grandpa could send a message across the world by just strolling down to the local telegraph office and paying a nickel to send 140 characters to his sweetheart in Cincinnati. But now? I've gotta have this dumb iPhone, and make monthly payments to Verizon—or worse yet, use an expensive computing doodad to access that newfangled Internet thing!!

What do these three examples, and healthcare, have in common? What do they have that other industries made cheaper by technology lack? Things that were once impossible are now possible. When technology makes a procedure easier, the cost is likely to decrease, but when a new and better process is developed—not an improvement, but a replacement—prices tend to rise!!!!

:unsmigghh:

Yes this is self evident. But that doesn't explain the healthcare phenomenon. I mentioned that we can compare an apples to apples comparison like heart surgery in 1960 and heart surgery today and see price inflation far higher than the CPI. This isn't explained because heart surgeries are so much more sophisticated now. They still require a skilled surgeon, a bunch of assistant, a few hours in a hospital room and several days to recover before heading home. Yet the costs have increased quite substantially, much more than could be anticipated by comparing general price inflation in the broader economy.

I don't know why you feel the need to make the obvious point that if you need a surgery for a medical condition for which no treatment existed fifty years ago, your medical care rates would be higher than if you got no treatment fifty years ago. You would live of course and not die which seems a fair trade off to me.

Of course having a life threatening or permanently debilitating illness for which no treatment was available in the past likely meant that the overall cost to your family would be massively greater than if a cure was available, no matter how inflated the cost. That is also self evident.

I don't know why you fight the notion that when consumers are completely divorced from the cost of their medical care, they don't care about costs and costs naturally are inflated higher than they otherwise would be. How exactly is this a point that you feel the need to argue with?

Let's say that tomorrow, the Federal Government took over the cell phone industry. Nationalized it completely and created a "single payer" system of cell phone service available to everyone. You would be eligible to receive the newest iPhone every year for free. The State contracted out the actual production of the phones to Apple and the service to Verizon.

Now would you expect that the cost for an iPhone would rise, fall or stay the same? Naturally Apple would charge the State a lot more because they can get away with it. iPhones might cost $7000 per phone instead of $600 or $200 with a contract that they cost for consumers today.

And since for consumers the phone is "free" why would they shop around? Why would they compare and contrast and look for alternatives?

Now suppose another scenario where the government didn't nationalize the entire cell phone market but a small pocket of companies also offered a few models and plans that people could buy for themselves. They also contracted with the State but you could purchase a phone on your own as well.

Do you suppose the price would still be inflated? Of course it would. The less a company needs the consumer to buy their products, the less likely they are to lower costs and improve quality. Why sell the consumer a phone for $600 when the State is buying up phones produced by contractors for $7000 each?

Thus heavy State intervention raises costs even for pockets of the market that remain open to those few consumers who buy their own cell phones and forgo the State offered "free" phones and wireless plans.

This is exactly analogous to what has happened in the healthcare market in the United States. The third party payment system, comprised of the State for veterans, a portion of the poor, and the elderly, and Insurance companies for nearly everyone else, raises costs because the consumer has no incentive to shop around for lower costs.

And with heavily inflated healthcare costs, what happens if an insurance company denies you care or you don't have medical insurance because you were fired from your job? Or what happens if shortages and waiting lines develop for State provided healthcare services?

In a normal market system, entrepreneurs will provide levels of healthcare service catering to every income bracket and people would just go and purchase the healthcare services that they need. In a distorted market however, costs are so inflated that most people cannot afford to pay for basic healthcare service if the insurance companies or the State don't pay for it for them.

And your options are artificially reduced since it is the State and/or the Insurance companies who will dictate to you what they cover and what they don't, which doctors you can see and which you can't see.

You frequently speak of families who go completely bankrupt because a family member gets sick. Or others who literally die because they can't pay for a relatively simple operation that could save their life. The costs are so out of control that tens of millions of Americans could never pay these medical costs even if their lives depended on it.

Now why on earth would that be in any sort of free market? Why wouldn't an opportunistic entrepreneur see the profit incentive in catering to this criminally undeserved market? Why wouldn't competing healthcare providers figure out cost cutting measures in order to offer healthcare services to lower income individuals with prices they could actually afford?

The reason is that most people, especially the working class, rely exclusively on third party payers for medical care. Most would never consider paying out of pocket for any medical service, even one they could afford. People won't even see a chiropractor if their insurance won't pay for it.

Plus the State mandated regulations and restrictions that exist in entering the market mean that it is not worth it to cater to the consumer directly. It is FAR more profitable to lobby the State, to work for large insurance agencies or pharmaceutical companies.

This is the inevitable result of that sort of system. This is such basic, economics 101 level stuff that I am shocked I even have to go over this. When price competition is removed from a market and people rely more heavily on third party payers and the State to provide funding for services, prices rise.

If you were a contractor to the government would you charge more than you would if you were serving a consumer who had to pay the costs for the product or service directly? Of course you would. Everybody would.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

Yes this is self evident. But that doesn't explain the healthcare phenomenon.

actually, it does

or do you think people were surviving brain cancer and coronary blockages in the loving 50s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Yes this is self evident. But that doesn't explain the healthcare phenomenon. I mentioned that we can compare an apples to apples comparison like heart surgery in 1960 and heart surgery today and see price inflation far higher than the CPI. This isn't explained because heart surgeries are so much more sophisticated now. They still require a skilled surgeon, a bunch of assistant, a few hours in a hospital room and several days to recover before heading home. Yet the costs have increased quite substantially, much more than could be anticipated by comparing general price inflation in the broader economy.

Heart surgery has changed substantially since 1950, and the number of heart surgeries has also increased substantially.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/102/suppl_4/Iv-87.full

"Cardiac surgery has undergone a rapid and extraordinary development during the past 50 years. Many operations that were once considered experimental are now routine, and thousands of open heart procedures are performed each year. In 1997, in the United States alone, surgeons performed 197 000 cardiovascular procedures, including 2300 heart transplant operations. These statistics are astonishing to both Dr Cooley, who began practicing >50 years ago, and Dr Frazier, who began practicing 30 years ago. "

In other words, not only has heart surgery become significantly more expensive due to the development of advanced machinery and techniques that didn't exist in 1950, but there are also a lot more heart surgeries being performed. The average heart surgery in 1950 looks very dissimilar to the average heart surgery today. A heart surgeon from 1950 wouldn't even recognize many of the tools available to today's surgeons.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I don't know why you feel the need to make the obvious point that if you need a surgery for a medical condition for which no treatment existed fifty years ago, your medical care rates would be higher than if you got no treatment fifty years ago. You would live of course and not die which seems a fair trade off to me.

Of course having a life threatening or permanently debilitating illness for which no treatment was available in the past likely meant that the overall cost to your family would be massively greater than if a cure was available, no matter how inflated the cost. That is also self evident.

I don't know why you fight the notion that when consumers are completely divorced from the cost of their medical care, they don't care about costs and costs naturally are inflated higher than they otherwise would be. How exactly is this a point that you feel the need to argue with?

Let's say that tomorrow, the Federal Government took over the cell phone industry. Nationalized it completely and created a "single payer" system of cell phone service available to everyone. You would be eligible to receive the newest iPhone every year for free. The State contracted out the actual production of the phones to Apple and the service to Verizon.

Now would you expect that the cost for an iPhone would rise, fall or stay the same? Naturally Apple would charge the State a lot more because they can get away with it. iPhones might cost $7000 per phone instead of $600 or $200 with a contract that they cost for consumers today.

And since for consumers the phone is "free" why would they shop around? Why would they compare and contrast and look for alternatives?

Now suppose another scenario where the government didn't nationalize the entire cell phone market but a small pocket of companies also offered a few models and plans that people could buy for themselves. They also contracted with the State but you could purchase a phone on your own as well.

Do you suppose the price would still be inflated? Of course it would. The less a company needs the consumer to buy their products, the less likely they are to lower costs and improve quality. Why sell the consumer a phone for $600 when the State is buying up phones produced by contractors for $7000 each?

Thus heavy State intervention raises costs even for pockets of the market that remain open to those few consumers who buy their own cell phones and forgo the State offered "free" phones and wireless plans.

This is exactly analogous to what has happened in the healthcare market in the United States. The third party payment system, comprised of the State for veterans, a portion of the poor, and the elderly, and Insurance companies for nearly everyone else, raises costs because the consumer has no incentive to shop around for lower costs.

And with heavily inflated healthcare costs, what happens if an insurance company denies you care or you don't have medical insurance because you were fired from your job? Or what happens if shortages and waiting lines develop for State provided healthcare services?

In a normal market system, entrepreneurs will provide levels of healthcare service catering to every income bracket and people would just go and purchase the healthcare services that they need. In a distorted market however, costs are so inflated that most people cannot afford to pay for basic healthcare service if the insurance companies or the State don't pay for it for them.

And your options are artificially reduced since it is the State and/or the Insurance companies who will dictate to you what they cover and what they don't, which doctors you can see and which you can't see.

You frequently speak of families who go completely bankrupt because a family member gets sick. Or others who literally die because they can't pay for a relatively simple operation that could save their life. The costs are so out of control that tens of millions of Americans could never pay these medical costs even if their lives depended on it.

Now why on earth would that be in any sort of free market? Why wouldn't an opportunistic entrepreneur see the profit incentive in catering to this criminally undeserved market? Why wouldn't competing healthcare providers figure out cost cutting measures in order to offer healthcare services to lower income individuals with prices they could actually afford?

The reason is that most people, especially the working class, rely exclusively on third party payers for medical care. Most would never consider paying out of pocket for any medical service, even one they could afford. People won't even see a chiropractor if their insurance won't pay for it.

Plus the State mandated regulations and restrictions that exist in entering the market mean that it is not worth it to cater to the consumer directly. It is FAR more profitable to lobby the State, to work for large insurance agencies or pharmaceutical companies.

This is the inevitable result of that sort of system. This is such basic, economics 101 level stuff that I am shocked I even have to go over this. When price competition is removed from a market and people rely more heavily on third party payers and the State to provide funding for services, prices rise.

If you were a contractor to the government would you charge more than you would if you were serving a consumer who had to pay the costs for the product or service directly? Of course you would. Everybody would.

Phone posting but this is dumb.

In your example the government wouldn't buy phones from Apple @ 7000 a phone. They would open a job between apple and Samsung over who could produce the best phone for the lowest price. The companies would be incentivised to produce the best phone at the lowest price because even if they got less per unit than selling them on the open market they would make it up by selling 330 million phones.

This isn't a hypothetical by the way, this is how government procurement works.

The single biggest cost savings between Canada and the US is that Canada gets medical devices, tools, supplies, drugs etc at a fraction of the US price. Because we buy in bulk and providers have an incentive to give us a great deal because they make more in volume, and because if their bid loses the don't make poo poo.

The US has this same loving system for Medicare, which is why Medicare reimbursement rates are so low. They actually negotiate cheaper prices with your doctor than the insurance industry would, but somehow you think they are just throwing money in a pit and setting it on fire.

I will have a real post on this tomorrow. Look forward to it!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

I just want to point out that this is objectively not true and that the U.S. government pays less for services, in general, than corporate organizations or private individuals. If you'd bothered to research what medicare and medicaid pay compared to insurance or private individuals, you'd immediately see the power of collective bargaining, a.k.a the only way for the "demand" side to exert any influence in the health care market. But you didn't. You wouldn't even know where to look if you wanted to check me on this indisputable fact. You can't even conceive of comparing health care costs in Britain or Canada to those in the US, because Mises is not concerned with those countries, because their facts don't fit the lie.

Even the most fundamental things you *think* you know about the world, jrode, are completely wrong, because you have an over-simplistic view of the world. You are so unfathomably uninformed that it is impossible for you to ascertain anything by logic, and I really, truly cannot think of anything to help you. It depresses me that you are so ignorant, because you clearly do not want to be, but everything you have studied has been a lie. It's profoundly distressing to me that you are so capable of caring, yet so incapable of discerning where the actual truth lies, and who you ought to trust, and who is an authority, or what facts even are.

I feel really bad for you.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

jrodefeld posted:

This is bullshit that has been disproven in this very thread at least 3 times now. At least once in the last couple of pages.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

The hell it does. Show this evidence and how it points towards government interference raising prices. And, unless you're suggesting that insurance companies be completely outlawed in your ideal world then the fact that they drive up prices is a point against your claims. Which, of course, is actually true, which is why you are trying to weasel the blame away from your side like the dishonest lying twerp you are.

I want you to take a close look at this graph:

http://mises.org/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/10100%20%20personal%20health%20expenditures.png?itok=GnwPFrtY

In 1960 consumers spent money out of pocket on nearly 60% of their healthcare costs while less than 20% was payed for my private insurance. By the early 1990s (the date the graph goes up to), out of pocket spending on medical care had fallen to below 20% and private insurance accounted for more than 30% of healthcare expenditures while more than 40% of healthcare expenditures were payed for by Federal, State and local governments.

Are you honestly claiming that this precipitous fall in out of pocket medical costs and the move towards third party payment for medical services didn't distort the market and make consumers less concerned with cost, thus causing prices to rise?!

I find it very strange that you think that the health insurance companies and their over-sized role in paying for medical care is a mark against my proposal you are seriously mistaken.

During the 1950s health insurance was much like car insurance or any other sort of insurance. It was designed to pay for unlikely catestrophic care in the event of a severe accident. If you fall into a coma, are hit by a bus, or something like this and need to stay in a hospital for a week or more, then the insurance that you have paid into will cover those unplanned and unexpected costs. For virtually all other routine and planned medical costs, the consumer paid out of pocket in the private market. As it should be.

It was state intervention that altered the health insurance market. Early legislation encouraged the purchase of health insurance by en employer by allowing consumers to purchase it with pretax dollars. The real change however occurred with the passage of the HMO Act of 1973.

This act further accelerated the irrational pairing of health insurance with employment and foisted layers of regulation on the health insurance market requiring them to cover all manner of potential problems. Why can't individuals buy catestrophic medical coverage like we buy car insurance? Across the border, outside the country, with a multitude of choices and costs to match every need and desire.

You can thank the HMO Act of 1973 for the reality that should you lose your job, your health insurance is lost too. It is irrational but it is a mark against State sponsored legislation NOT the free market that I am advocating for.

Don't throw a loving fit because I am going to quote part of an article, but this bolsters my point:

quote:

The idea of consumer sovereignty was central to Mises's understanding of the market economy. According to this understanding, consumers shape the pattern of resource use and the assignment of resource rewards according to their preferences. The outputs being produced at any date, the methods of production being employed, and the rewards being given to the various owners of productivity are those dictated by consumers.

Market prices are described by Mises as reflecting an "equilibrium of demand and supply." It is on this basis that Mises views any government interference with market prices as a disturbance to the equilibrium that will, in general, produce results that are worse than the conditions the government wished to improve. Government intervention in the provision of medical goods and services is a perfect example.

In a previous article, I suggested that government intervention, not market failure, is responsible for today's out-of-control healthcare costs. There are a multitude of reasons why this is so, but the most important, in my opinion, is the loss of consumer sovereignty brought about by government intervention, which would not have occurred under market conditions.

"If we returned purchasing power to patients — in effect, restored consumer sovereignty — healthcare spending would decline dramatically."
Prior to the advent of Medicare and Medicaid, individuals paid for the majority of medical goods and services out of their own pocket (Figure 1) and utilized health insurance as a rational tool for mitigating financial risk posed by catastrophic events.1 During this time a real market existed for the vast majority of medical goods, and services and prices were reasonable. However, after the advent of these programs, third-party spending on routine medical services increased, and out-of-pocket spending fell dramatically. To match the coverage of these government programs, especially Medicare, the private-insurance market took a reactionary turn for the worse, which was encouraged by earlier legislation that allowed health insurance to be purchased with pretax dollars from an employer. The move to third-party payment was further accelerated by passage of the HMO Act of 1973.

Figure 1. Sources of personal health expenditures
personal health expenditures
The act gave HMOs greater access to the employer-based market, providing for the rapid expansion of managed care. Finally, as Thomas DiLorenzo has pointed out,

Layers of regulation plague every aspect of medical care and health insurance in America … each state imposes dozens of regulatory mandates on health insurers, requiring them to include coverage of everything from massage therapy to hair implants.
A colleague of mine, who practiced before and after this dramatic shift occurred, and whom I will not name due to his academic affiliation, neatly summarized how third-party payment for routine medical services has led us to the current situation we are in with regard to healthcare costs. He wrote to me:

I have lived through those times when the patient and the doctor each had a sense of responsibility regarding the patient's health. There was, in effect, a "contract" between the two that resided in the awareness that the doctor was the expert and would do the best he/she could for the patient and the patient, in return would pay for those services. There were no guarantees but an expectation of ethical behavior by both parties. Healthcare costs were reasonable and in those instances where payment was beyond the reach of a patient's resources, arrangements could be, and were usually made.

The system worked and worked well. Enter third party pay and it all went to hell in a hand-basket because it now became possible to charge whatever the system would bear.
Because of this change, medications, tests, and procedures that in many cases provide only marginal benefits are now widely used despite the fact that they may cost much more than the procedures they were intended to replace.

In a real market, many of these "breakthroughs" would simply not be viable. But because the test of viability in America's government-managed healthcare system is not consumer sovereignty, we have a situation where Medicare, Medicaid, and politicized private-insurance companies pay hundreds of dollars a month more for a drug that decreases total event rates by a few percentage points compared to whatever that drug replaced or was intended to augment.

The following is an example of a real and very popular drug that I use on a routine basis that I will call drug X. Drug X works by inhibiting blood clot formation (when a blood clot forms in a vessel in the heart, one can have a heart attack). Drug X and drug Y work together by acting on different substrates of the clot-formation process to ultimately effect the same outcome — stopping clots from forming. Drug X costs on average $141.82 per month. Drug Y costs a couple of dollars per month over the counter at your local drug store. What does the data tell us about the two?

Multiple studies have been performed to answer the question: Does drug X improve cardiovascular outcomes compared to drug Y alone after a patient has had a major cardiovascular event or a stroke? The answer, unequivocally, is yes. By how much? The answer is a few percentage points, give or take.2 Does it eliminate the risk all together? The answer, unequivocally, is no. It should also be noted that drug X in addition to drug Y confers a minor increase in the risk of having a major bleeding event. So the question is: How many people, in the appropriate clinical setting, knowing this information, would buy drug X for $140 per month? Probably not nearly as many who take it now for nothing or for a small copay. Leaving aside the issue of brand names and patents, under conditions of market competition, do you think the company who makes drug X would lower the price to entice more buyers? If they did not lower the price, or simply could not lower the price due to production costs, I would venture to guess that drug X would not be marketable outside of a small niche of patients.

Now ask yourself, is the doctor who recommends drug X the bad guy? Of course not: drug X does provide a benefit beyond drug Y itself, and furthermore, if he didn't offer it and the patient had a heart attack (which could happen despite being on drug X) the doctor could be at risk of losing his medical license. After all, drug X is part of the standard of care. Is the patient the bad guy? Of course not: if you were offered the chance to take a drug that had a defined benefit and wouldn't cost you that much, you'd be silly to reject it. Is the pharmaceutical company the bad guy? No, they have a responsibility to their shareholders to make a profit, so they should sell their product at the highest price possible.

So who's to blame? The answer: a system that has been developed by government intervention to interfere with consumer sovereignty and make every individual pay for every other individual's medical expenses so that the individual consuming the care does not bear the full price at the point of utilization. We should not conclude from this example that the run-up in healthcare costs is solely due to increased spending on pharmaceuticals, for this situation applies to everything from doctor visits to laboratory tests to diagnostic studies to minimally invasive and full surgical procedures. Very simply stated, consumers now use many medical services that they would simply reject if they had to pay for them out of pocket — and truthfully, in most cases, they would be none the worse off for rejecting them.

The RAND Health Insurance Experiment was a prospective social experiment (and to this date, the only social experiment) in which health insurance with different levels of benefit coverage was randomly assigned to individuals, and subsequent health outcomes were compared across experimental groups. The results showed that while spending increased as benefit coverage increased, health status and health outcomes did not improve. There was very little evidence to demonstrate that having a high level of benefit coverage improved population health on average.3 The RAND Health Insurance Experiment debunks the idea that patients are not capable of being prudent consumers of medical goods and services.

So what does all this tell us about solving the current problem with healthcare costs? I think the answer is relatively straightforward: if we returned purchasing power to patients — in effect, restored consumer sovereignty — healthcare spending would decline dramatically and prices for medical goods and services would reflect the true value to consumers in a competitive market.

Under free-market conditions, would there be a role for health insurance? The answer is clearly yes, but health insurance would much more closely resemble the rational/catastrophic model that developed spontaneously before the onset of serious government intervention into the healthcare industry. Can we get back to that model? Yes, in theory, but it would require that we abolish all government insurance programs, deregulate the system at the federal, state, and local levels, and get rid of all the existing tax deductions, exemptions, and subsidies for the purchase of health insurance.

The main objection to restoring consumer sovereignty as I have described is the progressive appeal to social justice. Paul Krugman tried to make the case for this in a recent editorial entitled "Patients Are Not Consumers" in the New York Times. Krugman's logically flawed and contradictory arguments can be boiled down as follows:

Healthcare is a right and the doctor-patient relationship is sacred; therefore, patients should not be viewed as consumers.
Doctors and patients cannot be trusted; therefore, a third party must intercede in the decisions made between the patient and his or her doctor, because somehow, without any personal knowledge or previous interaction whatsoever, the third party knows what the patient needs better than the other two connected parties (doctor and patient).
(If you think these two points are contradictory, you are not alone.) Krugman writes,

Here's my question: How did it become normal, or for that matter even acceptable, to refer to medical patients as "consumers"? The relationship between patient and doctor used to be considered something special, almost sacred. Now politicians and supposed reformers talk about the act of receiving care as if it were no different from a commercial transaction, like buying a car — and their only complaint is that it isn't commercial enough.

What has gone wrong with us?
I take this to be Krugman's variant of the social-justice argument — because healthcare is a right and the doctor-patient relationship is sacred, patients have a right to whatever they and their doctor agree to; they should not be forced to pick and choose.4 Of course, healthcare is not a natural right, as natural rights define what somebody else, including the government, cannot do to you. They do not oblige anyone to act on your behalf, and they do not oblige you to act on the behalf of anyone else, except to respect the fact that others have the same rights as you. If a right to healthcare were recognized, it would necessarily enslave each of us to everybody else's healthcare needs. But Krugman does not really believe healthcare is a right, as the next part of his argument reveals. He writes:

About that advisory board: We have to do something about healthcare costs, which means that we have to find a way to start saying no. In particular, given continuing medical innovation, we can't maintain a system in which Medicare essentially pays for anything a doctor recommends. And that's especially true when that blank-check approach is combined with a system that gives doctors and hospitals — who aren't saints — a strong financial incentive to engage in excessive care. …

[T]he point is that choices must be made; one way or another, government spending on healthcare must be limited.
As the above passage makes clear, to Krugman and progressives like him, healthcare is not really a right, and the doctor-patient relationship is not really all that special. Instead, healthcare is a privilege to be granted at the prerogative of the ruling class. Progressives do not reject the idea of consumer sovereignty because it is economically or ethically flawed, but rather because the act of being a consumer requires that an individual's natural rights be fully protected. The recognition of such rights represents a check on arbitrary power, and as such it is the enemy of the state and ruling elites like Krugman, who have an insatiable lust for power and control over the rest of us.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

jrodefeld posted:

Of course having a life threatening or permanently debilitating illness for which no treatment was available in the past likely meant that the overall cost to your family would be massively greater than if a cure was available, no matter how inflated the cost. That is also self evident
Not even close. Liver failure before liver transplantion: really cheap because you just die. Liver failure now: really expensive - 300k just for the surgery in the states (at the mayo clinic, I think that quote was from) nevermind the drugs that cost a shitload (at least in the States - I get mine for free)

jrodefeld posted:

Now would you expect that the cost for an iPhone would rise, fall or stay the same? Naturally Apple would charge the State a lot more because they can get away with it. iPhones might cost $7000 per phone instead of $600 or $200 with a contract that they cost for consumers
The companies would pay whatever the government was willing to pay, because there's no other customers. That's the way drug prices work in Canada.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

jrodefeld posted:

I want you to take a close look at this graph:

http://mises.org/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/10100%20%20personal%20health%20expenditures.png?itok=GnwPFrtY

In 1960 consumers spent money out of pocket on nearly 60% of their healthcare costs while less than 20% was payed for my private insurance. By the early 1990s (the date the graph goes up to), out of pocket spending on medical care had fallen to below 20% and private insurance accounted for more than 30% of healthcare expenditures while more than 40% of healthcare expenditures were payed for by Federal, State and local governments.

Are you honestly claiming that this precipitous fall in out of pocket medical costs and the move towards third party payment for medical services didn't distort the market and make consumers less concerned with cost, thus causing prices to rise?!

You keep comparing medical treatments from over 50 years ago to today's pricing as if though there were no innovations. This is called being "intellectually dishonest."

You then go on to cite insurance in the 50s...

I have a revelation for you:
None of that matters in today's market.

Your article you pasted in because you don't seem to actually understand what you're saying is just more of the same. It doesn't bolster anything but only continues to perpetuate the same sort of intellectual dishonesty you're engaged in. You aren't even trying to debate in good faith as you've ignored just about every poster who's taken the time to refute all of this. It's actually got me a little disappointed if I'm honest. I was hoping that actual data and reasoned arguments would make you question using the same material over and over and over despite being proven factually incorrect several times in this thread.

If you want to review the arguments again, click the "?" icon on any of QuarkJets and Caros' posts and you'll quickly have access to the arguments they made several times now that literally prove the basis of your mises.org graph is complete bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

You're not understanding what is being said here Jrodefeld. It isn't just that technology is better, it is that entirely new fields of life saving technology have been created, and that when you lump that together, costs are far higher as a result.

Do you think more or less money overall is being spent on cell phones today than in say... 1980? Clearly it is more, Just about everyone owns a cell phone now, whereas in 1980 almost no one had a cell phone. Now what about... say.... open heart surgery? This was a proceedure that was in its infancy in the 1960's. Individual open heart transplants probably cost in the millions of dollars back then, and were more or less non-existent because the number of trained surgeons who were available to do the proceedure were miniscule. But as time went on the cost of doing the surgery lowered, while at the same time the number of surgeries shot through the roof. This means there was more money being spent on heart surgeries, even though the average cost of surgeries decreased.

In 1950 they gave you nitroglycerin for a heart attack, at the cost of a few hundred dollars in pills. Today you pay tens of thousands but have a better life expectancy. Additional costs produced better results, but it also caused overall spending on medical costs to drastically increase. This has been explained to you multiple loving times.

Okay we are talking past each other. I understand what you are saying here and I readily concede that point. If the only problem that existed is that, in total, the amount of money Americans spent on healthcare is higher because there are all these new and important services, surgeries and innovative treatments that didn't exist before I don't think I or anyone else would have a single problem with this trend. Because, as you say, the total aggregate number of dollars Americans spend on consumer electronics has increased drastically over the past forty years. Forty years ago a family might own a TV or two. That was probably it for consumer electronics. No one owned a cell phone and virtually no one owned a computer. No one owned an iPad and there were few video game consoles (didn't they have Pong or something like that back then?).

So yes, total spending on consumer electronics has skyrocketed simply because there are all these new innovations and new categories of consumer electronics that enrich our lives and improve our living standards. This is a symptom of a growing and healthy economy.

The point with talking about inflation is to compare like with like. What did an average automobile cost in 1960 and what does it cost today? That is a fair comparison. What did milk cost thirty years ago compared to today?

In consumer electronics, the vital point is that Americans CAN spend massive amounts of money on consumer electronics and gladly do so because it provides value to them. All these new innovations and products are affordable and attainable to nearly everyone.

The reason we are even discussing healthcare is that, for many many Americans, a reasonable standard of medical care is simply unattainable to them. And of course the main reason for this is that the prices are too high. Out of pocket spending is simply not an option for most people and health insurance premiums are too high, their insurance is irrationally tied to their employment and their isn't enough competition in the provision of health insurance.

All these things are problems. It doesn't matter how many new surgeries exist now that didn't exist before. What matters is that are these new services (and the old ones) attainable and affordable for most people? As we know the answer is that they are not.

In contrast to many Americans experience today, a reasonable standard of medical care for the time was reasonably affordable. Out of pocket costs for a routine physical were no problem. You need X-Rays? Take out your wallet. Even a week stay in a hospital bed was affordable for the middle class American.

The rising costs of medical care have a lot more to do that new medical care services coming into existence. Remember, it is not the total spending on healthcare that is the concern for me. Rather it is the cost for an individual American for a reasonable standard of care. How affordable and attainable is it? That is the only concern on my mind.

As I've previously explained, it is NOT normal in a free market for tens of millions of Americans to be under-served or not served at all. Some reasonable standard of medical care services should be provided by an entrepreneur who wants to tap into this underserved market.

Cell phones and computers and televisions and iPads and whatever new innovation or product comes to market next year are all priced at levels where most if not all Americans can afford them. They are readily attainable.

Why does an MRI cost $8000? I'll admit I am a bit out of my element since I don't personally know the cost of an MRI machine (probably more than a million dollars) so I don't know EVERYTHING that goes into the price. However, what would prevent a free market from devising cheaper and just as reliable alternatives for the diagnosis of serious medical problems?

I am a member of a local state-of-the-art gym that has a swimming pool, basketball courts, sauna, steam room, tanning bed, every exercise equipment you can imagine and several stories. No question this facility is worth millions of dollars. Yet I have unlimited access to it all for $35 a month.

If you lost your job and thus your insurance and you suspect you might have a brain tumor and you want to rule it out? Cough up $8000 or live with the uncertainty.

This doesn't make sense and it isn't a rational market with costs like these. Literally NO ONE pays for an MRI out of pocket. They are paid for exclusively by private insurance or the State.

We all know that MRI machines didn't exist fifty or sixty years ago. And their invention has saved countless lives. For every new medical care service or treatment that has been developed and introduced in the past fifty years the question should not be how does this contribute to the total aggregate spending on healthcare, but rather should this specific treatment or test cost what it costs? Is the price higher than what it would be if consumers had to pay out of pocket or we had a market for said service or procedure?

For very many of these unattainable services, I think the clear answer is yes, prices are much higher than they ought to be and they would be if price competition was once again introduced into medical care.

jrodefeld fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 25, 2015