Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And SR4 started its life an an expansion to SR3. Volition is the best company in the world at making finished bits and pieces into a coherent whole, but it still shows through occasionally.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, it felt like it almost wasn't aware of the madness you could create. From SR3 on, it was too self-referrential, encouraging you to make a dumb character.
I have this theory that SR2 is best played with a wacky character, and 3 and 4 with as straight a gangbanger as you can manage who stoically faces the ludicrous situations he gets in and his crazy rear end new lieutenants. But the character creation systems are exactly the wrong way around to really put it to the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

poptart_fairy posted:

It's even the exact same chart. :haw:

I wasn't disappointed about GOoH not having many cutscenes until I realized just how good the stuff it does have is. The scene where Jezebel meets with Gat is probably the best I've seen Saint's Row be in terms of writing.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I was disappointed that when Jezebel says she doesn't want to get married that Gat didn't turn it right around and be all, "You saying the Boss isn't good enough for you?"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The entire intro to Saint's Row 4 is a big metacommentary on the series, particularly its tonal divide and how confused about it 3 was. Fortunately, Volition opted for puckish rogue from that point on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And SR4 started its life an an expansion to SR3.

That's not really true. They were working on SR4 and an expansion at the same time, then changed their plans and combined them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

3 was made on an entirely new engine and was also made while THQ was in its death throes, reading the behind-the-scenes drama it's amazing 3 was ever as good as it was!

If you compare the team sizes of SR2 with 3 and 4 you can tell that SR 2 had a HUGE budget compared to its sequels. THQ was throwing a ton of money at it after GTA 4's reception turned out to be lukewarm, but I get the feeling they didn't get a great return on their investment. SR2 was kind of a cult hit and not a blockbuster.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

3 was made on an entirely new engine and was also made while THQ was in its death throes, reading the behind-the-scenes drama it's amazing 3 was ever as good as it was!

You know this actually explains so much.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

It was running on a different engine that let them do things like have clothing sorted by layers and let you customize it with decals. That's also why the city in SR2 feels more alive and reactive, that and they had an entire development cycle to add on to the city from the first game.

What's the behind the scenes drama? Got a link? I love poo poo like this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HonorableTB posted:

What's the behind the scenes drama? Got a link? I love poo poo like this.

You know how Saints Row 2 had stuff like getting high, lots of over-the-top violence and crude language? THQ didn't like any of that. Deep Silver, however, didn't give two shits and let them do whatever they wanted for SR4.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know how Saints Row 2 had stuff like getting high, lots of over-the-top violence and crude language? THQ didn't like any of that. Deep Silver, however, didn't give two shits and let them do whatever they wanted for SR4.

To go into further detail (SR3 spoilers, sort of) there were two large cuts:

-Gat's death was supposed to be far more violent and have him go out in a more suitable blaze of glory
-Killbane was supposed to NUKE Stillwater (killing most of the SR2 cast that didn't come to Steelport) with a dirty bomb, which is why the Saints don't get much support from outside Steelport

There were also some big cuts due to money/dev time (such as Kiki and Viola originally going to be leaders of their own gang outside of Morningstar and an ending stinger that would have Shaundi or Gat turning on the Saints.)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

mycot posted:

You know this actually explains so much.

Yeah, it's something that a lot of people forget when railing on SR3. Don't get me wrong I loving love the second game, but it was working in a much stronger position than than the company had for the third.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Two tiny things, both related to Savegames.

For Supreme Commander you could double-click the actual savegame file to boot the game up directly to your savegame. Just point your shortcut to the main save you're going to use and you literally never have to see the main menu or any other front-end bullshit to get into the action.

Quake 4 has the typical bunch of short intro videos on startup - works best on nvidea, here's our publisher logo, etc, but you can mash the quickload button during them and get taken straight to the game at once.

They're not world-beating innovations, or anything, but just nice, tiny touches that make it easy to skip the bullshit and get into actually playing the game. Because no-one gives a gently caress who the publisher is the 50th time they've started up a game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

There were also some big cuts due to money/dev time (such as Kiki and Viola originally going to be leaders of their own gang outside of Morningstar and an ending stinger that would have Shaundi or Gat turning on the Saints.)
The main impact is really how much of the story seems confusing or unfinished, eg. everything to do with Angel, Shaundi's sudden personality change, the fact that it can be really hard to tell that Gat is even supposed to be dead; Until I finished the game I was expecting him to show up again at some point and go "Not dead guys!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shaundi's personality change pissed me off to no end because it basically does a direct 180 and torpedoes her character for basically no reason justifiable other than "I liked Gat and now I guess he's dead", but what made up for it in my eyes is that she immediately joined the team of characters that poo poo all over Pierce in Johnny's absence. :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you have The Saints Save Christmas DLC for SR4 you can have Shaundi, Fun/Old Shaundi and Future Shaundi as your homies at the same time. I don't remember if the latter has interactions with the former two though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Shaundi's personality change pissed me off to no end because it basically does a direct 180 and torpedoes her character for basically no reason justifiable other than "I liked Gat and now I guess he's dead", but what made up for it in my eyes is that she immediately joined the team of characters that poo poo all over Pierce in Johnny's absence. :allears:
She did that in SR2 though.

Mierenneuker posted:

If you have The Saints Save Christmas DLC for SR4 you can have Shaundi, Fun/Old Shaundi and Future Shaundi as your homies at the same time. I don't remember if the latter has interactions with the former two though.
I don't think the DLC homies have conversations outside of their missions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

She did that in SR2 though.

Yes but now she does it in an angry bitchy way instead of a chill bitchy way. It's an important distinction.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tiggum posted:

The main impact is really how much of the story seems confusing or unfinished, eg. everything to do with Angel, Shaundi's sudden personality change, the fact that it can be really hard to tell that Gat is even supposed to be dead; Until I finished the game I was expecting him to show up again at some point and go "Not dead guys!"

How obvious it is that Gat is dead depends on which voice you picked for your main character I think, because they all have different lines. I played through the game twice, once with a female boss, once with a male boss, and there is a particular cutscene on the bridge where I didnt realise they were supposed to be coming back from Gats funeral until my second playthrough because the voice I was using the first time round only refers to it very obliquely, so during my first playthrough I was still assuming he was "missing, assumed dead but probably not", whereas my other playthrough the boss directly says something like "Johnnys dead and it loving sucks" in that same scene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Got the game Ziggurat and it's very fun, but the reason I am posting here is because the game has a couple of secret achievements and one of those is called "Cheat like it's 1994". Ziggurat is jam-packed with Hexen and Doom references and therefore almost all of the cheat codes are copy/pasted from Doom... except they work backwards. For example, typing in IDDQD instantly kills you whereas in Doom it makes you invincible, and IDKFA takes away all of your weapons.

My favorite though is 'carmack', which changes your game from this...

...to this.

:haw:

edit:

The game has a ton of unique weapons too. There's a blunderbuss that fires flaming magma cannonballs, a staff that fires a straight-up tesla coil laser beam, a spellbook that shoots out butterflies that seek enemies and sap their health, but my favorite of the lot is this thing, called the Power of Heart.

It fires parabolic rainbow prisms that bounce around the room piercing enemies.

It's pretty drat great. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Jan 25, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if SR2 did the same thing, but I think one of the worst aspects of storytelling in the third game is that you can complete a character's entire story without ever talking to them, since most of them are activities that you can just complete in the overworld whenever. In my first playthrough of SR3, my only interactions with Angel were recruiting him and then walking into his home several hours later to yell "A loving TIGER!?" without context and then walk out.

SR4 still lets you do the tasks out of sequence but at least you have to talk to them to get the character progression dialog for each step of the way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kalos posted:

I don't know if SR2 did the same thing, but I think one of the worst aspects of storytelling in the third game is that you can complete a character's entire story without ever talking to them, since most of them are activities that you can just complete in the overworld whenever. In my first playthrough of SR3, my only interactions with Angel were recruiting him and then walking into his home several hours later to yell "A loving TIGER!?" without context and then walk out.

SR4 still lets you do the tasks out of sequence but at least you have to talk to them to get the character progression dialog for each step of the way.

That said though, the tiger sidequest is amazing fun in co-op :allears:.

edit: Just to explain what the side-activity entails;

You are tasked with driving Angel's pet tiger around the city to keep it entertained. You do so by driving on the wrong side of the road, at high speed, etc. If it starts getting bored, the tiger will start mauling the poo poo out of you. In co-op, Player Two rides in the back and is tasked with beating the poo poo out of the tiger with quicktime inputs (Just mashing the Melee button repeatedly) to placate it from further mauling Player One.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Jan 25, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kalos posted:

I don't know if SR2 did the same thing
Things were set up completely differently there and the activities had nothing to do with your story characters at all. You'd get unique little cutscenes with random citizens of Stilwater (apparently all SR1 characters?).

SiKboy posted:

How obvious it is that Gat is dead depends on which voice you picked for your main character I think, because they all have different lines.
Also on what choice you made in the mission right before that scene.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are tasked with driving Angel's pet tiger around the city to keep it entertained. You do so by driving on the wrong side of the road, at high speed, etc. If it starts getting bored, the tiger will start mauling the poo poo out of you. In co-op, Player Two rides in the back and is tasked with beating the poo poo out of the tiger with quicktime inputs (Just mashing the Melee button repeatedly) to placate it from further mauling Player One.

There's a version of this where you have to drive around a client who's busy with a prostitute in the back seat. In co-op the second player is said prostitute. :catstare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kalos posted:

SR2 was amazing about it. Not only were activities totally separate from story missions, but every mission had a cutscene at the start and end, each activity had two locations with six levels of difficulty, and each location had its own cutscene, plus there were strongholds which were basically short missions that consisted of "go to this place and kill these dudes" rather than having any other objectives or timers or travel or whatever, and each of those had a cutscene as well. Saints Row 2 was a really good game.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You'd get unique little cutscenes with random citizens of Stilwater (apparently all SR1 characters?).
Some of them are SR1 characters, some aren't.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also on what choice you made in the mission right before that scene.

That would also explain it, because when I went back through it with a male boss I made all the opposite choices than from my first playthrough.

Tiggum posted:

SR2 was amazing about it. Not only were activities totally separate from story missions, but every mission had a cutscene at the start and end, each activity had two locations with six levels of difficulty, and each location had its own cutscene, plus there were strongholds which were basically short missions that consisted of "go to this place and kill these dudes" rather than having any other objectives or timers or travel or whatever, and each of those had a cutscene as well. Saints Row 2 was a really good game.

I do agree with you, with 3 caveats; 1) The fight club on the prison was a pain in the tonsils to get to, and there was no other reason to go back to the prison island in free roam 2) the rewards were really uneven. Some of them had great rewards, whereas others had "-5% notoriety with gang X", which isnt good even if you havent already wiped that gang off the map entirely, and 3) The main missions were locked behind "Respect" levels, and you leveled up respect by doing side content. I never had a problem with it because I loved the side content (and it the side missions were fairly generous about doling it out too) but a friend of mine just wanted to blast through the story as fast as possible and got frustrated with it, so thats not for everyone. Personally I barely noticed because I was spent so long messing about with activities that by the time I was halfway through the story I had enough respect to do the rest of the missions in a row if I wanted.

Edit: Honestly if the prison fight club was replaced with a fight club in the shopping mall it would relieve pretty much my only gripes with SR2, it would mean that you wouldnt have to go back out to the prison and find your way through the buildings, and it would flag the mall on your map as being something so you could find it on your firt playthrough easier/earlier.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jan 25, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CJacobs posted:

all of the cheat codes are copy/pasted from Doom... except they work backwards. For example, typing in IDDQD instantly kills you whereas in Doom it makes you invincible, and IDKFA takes away all of your weapons.

Hah! The original Descent did that as well, and played a sound clip saying "Cheater!"

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If I recall, Mechwarrior 2 did something similar where "IDKFA" instantly ejected you from your mech losing you the mission and displaying "This ain't DOOM bud".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If I recall, Mechwarrior 2 did something similar where "IDKFA" instantly ejected you from your mech losing you the mission and displaying "This ain't DOOM bud".

Yeah it did.

Hexen or Heretic also had IDKFA (I think it reset you to 1 HP) and IDDQD (took all your weapons away except for the stick)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SiKboy posted:

That would also explain it, because when I went back through it with a male boss I made all the opposite choices than from my first playthrough.

I do agree with you, with 3 caveats; 1) The fight club on the prison was a pain in the tonsils to get to, and there was no other reason to go back to the prison island in free roam 2) the rewards were really uneven. Some of them had great rewards, whereas others had "-5% notoriety with gang X", which isnt good even if you havent already wiped that gang off the map entirely, and 3) The main missions were locked behind "Respect" levels, and you leveled up respect by doing side content. I never had a problem with it because I loved the side content (and it the side missions were fairly generous about doling it out too) but a friend of mine just wanted to blast through the story as fast as possible and got frustrated with it, so thats not for everyone. Personally I barely noticed because I was spent so long messing about with activities that by the time I was halfway through the story I had enough respect to do the rest of the missions in a row if I wanted.

Edit: Honestly if the prison fight club was replaced with a fight club in the shopping mall it would relieve pretty much my only gripes with SR2, it would mean that you wouldnt have to go back out to the prison and find your way through the buildings, and it would flag the mall on your map as being something so you could find it on your firt playthrough easier/earlier.

Ha ha ha so that's where Bioware got the idea for Power in Inquisition.

Saints Row 2 is still my favorite Saints game over all because I really liked the side content and preferred the progression system they had over the straight level up mechanics of the Third, but I haven't finished IV or touched Gat out of Hell. IV is pretty funny up front, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a version of this where you have to drive around a client who's busy with a prostitute in the back seat. In co-op the second player is said prostitute. :catstare:

The best part is that the backseat player (whoever starts the Activity gets to drive) runs a minigame using the thumbsticks to "pleasure" the clients :wiggle:.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part is that the backseat player (whoever starts the Activity gets to drive) runs a minigame using the thumbsticks to "pleasure" the clients :wiggle:.

You can also do this by yourself as a Diversion in random gas station bathrooms.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Kalos posted:

Yeah, I just finished SRTT again since I just updated my graphics card (drat, it looks pretty now) and i didn't see Angel much except for the scripted sequences. It was awesome to see Hulkamania running wild as a luchador though.

Also Rob Van Dam is the voice of Bobby, the deeper-voiced Murderbrawl/Professor Genki announcer. I don't know if that carries over to SRIV, but those guys were so fun to listen to.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Bloodcider posted:

You can also do this by yourself as a Diversion in random gas station bathrooms.

It works in the game, too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Yeah, I just finished SRTT again since I just updated my graphics card (drat, it looks pretty now) and i didn't see Angel much except for the scripted sequences. It was awesome to see Hulkamania running wild as a luchador though.

Also Rob Van Dam is the voice of Bobby, the deeper-voiced Murderbrawl/Professor Genki announcer. I don't know if that carries over to SRIV, but those guys were so fun to listen to.

He's in there for Mind over Murder, one of the new diversions.

edit: to contribute, I like how in outlast after you lose a finger that finger stays a bloody stump for the rest of the game.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Jan 25, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

Saints Row 2 is still my favorite Saints game over all because I really liked the side content and preferred the progression system they had over the straight level up mechanics of the Third, but I haven't finished IV or touched Gat out of Hell. IV is pretty funny up front, though.
SR4 is probably my favourite for the first time through, but I think the only Saints Row game I'll ever bother playing through completely again is 2. I've done it three times now and it's still good, whereas the later ones I reach a point where I go "yeah, I'm sick of this now." I'll give Gat Out of Hell a couple of months before I decide if it's worth the replay, but SR2 is still the best.

Yeah, I just finished SRTT again since I just updated my graphics card (drat, it looks pretty now) and i didn't see Angel much except for the scripted sequences.
Angel is pretty much irrelevant to anything.

Both Genki announcers are great, and they're back in SR4 and still great in that too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I tried to play Saints Row 2 but the gameplay was just so incredibly poo poo I never made it through. It was funny though for sure. I didnt care much for 3 and 4. They were too silly, so much that I didnt care about the characters or what was going on anymore.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

poo poo, was I supposed to care about the characters?

I was too busy playing hulk: ultimate destruction with a dubstep gun and infinite hovertanks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ignite Memories posted:

poo poo, was I supposed to care about the characters?

I was too busy playing hulk: ultimate destruction with a dubstep gun and infinite hovertanks.

I think games are better when they're partially grounded in reality, but I'm sorry I didn't like your game.

E: Honestly the biggest issue I had with SR4 were the superpowers, which I found really boring most of the time and the idea that it's set in a virtual world. Part of the fun with doing ridiculous poo poo is that it's supposed to be real in the game, when you tell me that none of this destruction matters, nothing's real then how am I supposed to give a poo poo?

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jan 26, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The sheer jank shittiness of SR2 definitely adds to the experience for me in a weird way. I can't explain it. Easily the best SR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Austrian mook posted:

I think games are better when they're partially grounded in reality, but I'm sorry I didn't like your game.

E: Honestly the biggest issue I had with SR4 were the superpowers, which I found really boring most of the time and the idea that it's set in a virtual world. Part of the fun with doing ridiculous poo poo is that it's supposed to be real in the game, when you tell me that none of this destruction matters, nothing's real then how am I supposed to give a poo poo?

It actually does matter, they provide explanation for that. The explanation's pretty early, but the payoff isn't: The simulation doesn't have infinite reserves, and it's already being put to the test by having to keep the Boss contained. The mayhem you cause in the simulation not only allows Kinzie room to fill the alien mothership with viruses, it forces them to push even more resources from other systems into keeping you from causing immense damage.

The final missions involve you finally crashing the simulation, which is a system so integral to the mothership's computer that it takes down most of the ship's essential processes.