Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

How many episodes of Nightly Show were there last week? For some reason I only saw 3.

Four. The first one, whose topic I can't remember, the second one on Cosby, the third on the State of the Union address, and the fourth on Cuba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Astro Nut posted:

It got some coverage by the BBC a week or so back, but this was after an Arch-Bishop called out the sheer lack of coverage when there was the possibility (and there still is, though the reported numbers vary wildly) of two thousand dead. Pretty much everywhere outside of Africa has kinda dropped the ball with regards to the massacre.

Take all the confiscated Syrian chemical weapons and dispose of them by spraying the vast areas of jungle where Boko Haram are suspected of hiding out.

Sounds like two problems solved to me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Take all the confiscated Syrian chemical weapons and dispose of them by spraying the vast areas of jungle where Boko Haram are suspected of hiding out.

Dad? Is that you?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That does sound like a very Brock Samson thing to say.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty disappointed by the Nightly Show after the first week. I loved Wilmore on TDS, but he seems awkward here, especially in that final section where he just reads a boring Twitter post. All the correspondents have been terrible, and it irrationally annoys me that they've been sloppily dressed. The guests have been kind of meh, and the group discussions fairly worthless. Keep it a hundred is pretty good, but frequently pointless when the person asked hasn't got a particular axe to grind. They also missed a trick not giving the woman from The Blaze 75 too.

Overall, there's potential and it could well improve, but right now it's only my brand loyalty to the Daily Show keeping me watching. It's a pity since Colbert was amazing from the first episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Are you an Irish Joe parachute account?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, it pains me to say it but I'm not feeling the nightly show either. I don't feel like the panel has enough time to actually feel like it's flowing together in that 23 or so minute time stretch without feeling like you're just glossing over each.

Keep it 100 is probably the only thing working for me and the cold opening. But everything else is just boring to me and I'm also just watching because of TDS loyalty.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The panel is the weakest part of the show, for sure. There's a weird mix of people who are trying to raise actual points and people who are just trying to get a laugh, and they don't have enough time so they just end up talking over each other (like most news panel shows). That can work in a longer show like Real Time but he just doesn't have enough time here. Even if he gave it two segments that commercial break would still gently caress him up.

The first and last bits are kind of hit and miss but for right now they're hitting enough that I'm enjoying the show. Hopefully it will find its rhythm as it goes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Pretty disappointed by the Nightly Show after the first week. I loved Wilmore on TDS, but he seems awkward here, especially in that final section where he just reads a boring Twitter post. All the correspondents have been terrible, and it irrationally annoys me that they've been sloppily dressed. The guests have been kind of meh, and the group discussions fairly worthless. Keep it a hundred is pretty good, but frequently pointless when the person asked hasn't got a particular axe to grind. They also missed a trick not giving the woman from The Blaze 75 too.

Overall, there's potential and it could well improve, but right now it's only my brand loyalty to the Daily Show keeping me watching. It's a pity since Colbert was amazing from the first episode.

Nightly Show definitely needs more something. One thing is as much as I despise Bill Maher him being a dick and/or crazy about some things at least that creates a more watchable dynamic in the guests. Wilmore is just... nice to people? Being nice is fine, and actually better than being a dick, if relevant discussion still happens but it seems like he's too nice to actually dig deeper into his guests' opinions/hypocrisies at the moment. Stewart might have softballed some of his less agreeable guests lately but as the recent Huckabee interview showed he will literally tell his guest, in slightly different words of course, "No, you're lying" to their face if he wants to. I know its only been the first week but the panels so far haven't really been that interesting or funny.

I don't really know what exactly to do though. Fewer guests in the panel? Zeroing in on an even more specific topic? Maybe not doing panels every show might be a good way to mix it up? Wilmore has to have some strong enough opinions about something to sustain more than a few minute introduction. That might start pressing in on Jon Oliver's monologue territory but I doubt anyone except some corners of the internet would care. Could be he just needs more time to direct the panels better.

Or maybe they just don't have the writing staff to write longer bits like Daily Show, Colbert, or Last Week and panels are what we got until ratings improve...or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think maybe they could cut down to three panelist since the fourth seems to always be some Nightly Show writer or random comic who adds nothing to the discussion. Just do the three true guests and that might open up the discussion a little. I can only assume the fourth guy is there to help Wilmore keep the segments light but it really doesn't need that and Wilmore seems ok at changing the subject or jumping to one of the "funny" guests when one of the "serious" guests starts to forget they're on Comedy Central.

I don't know. Its a weird line Wilmore is trying to walk and the handcuffs of a 22 minute show may not let it work. Its like the Nightly Show is trying to be The Daily Show, Politically Incorrect, and Tough Crowd all in the same timeslot. There are moments of each that work but its kind of a mess.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

raditts posted:

That does sound like a very Brock Samson thing to say.

'kay, evidently sarcasm isn't a thing in this thread about comedic news shows. Good to know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm enjoying the Nightly Show but the worst part of the panel format is the terrible editing. People are barely finishing their sentences before we get Larry asking someone else a question.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Figures that fat gently caress Huckabee would make a 5 minute food allegory.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Who are the pigs in that analogy?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Palin has aged a lot in 8 years. And now she sounds like that SNL "Girl you don't want to meet at a party" character more than ever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kittenmittons posted:

Who are the pigs in that analogy?

Minorities or poor people if they're being slaughtered to get right wing agendas done.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
Is she drunk?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Jax-Guy1 posted:

Is she drunk?

If you watch the whole speech she comes off really high.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I really hate Ted Cruz's face. It looks like he's wearing a rubber mask.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
How they going to get this guy in the WH? Hillary's VP?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, I'm curious to see what take the Nightly Show will have on American Sniper tonight. I'm not sure if it has the balls to forgo immediately cloaking all discussion in blind hero-worship. :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

Figures that fat gently caress Huckabee would make a 5 minute food allegory.

I was hoping for a Joni Ernst joke.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Generic American posted:

Man, I'm curious to see what take the Nightly Show will have on American Sniper tonight. I'm not sure if it has the balls to forgo immediately cloaking all discussion in blind hero-worship. :ohdear:

Looks like it doesn't.

Why do they have to pick a psychopathic pathological liar who had no shame in expressing how much he wanted to kill browns to be the American Hero poster boy? That seems like it should be the main sticking point and yet everyone seems to tiptoe around it because HE DEFENDED YOUR FREEDOM LEAVE MERICA IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I don't know who this movie critic guy is but he looks like he's about to poo poo himself in fear that Paul Ryckoff is going to choke him to death.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Toona the Cat posted:

I don't know who this movie critic guy is but he looks like he's about to poo poo himself in fear that Paul Ryckoff is going to choke him to death.

Matt Taibbi, he writes for Rolling Stone. He wrote an article that was critical of the movie, so he's already been one more body on the sacrificial altar.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah that segment was weak tea.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

raditts posted:

Matt Taibbi, he writes for Rolling Stone. He wrote an article that was critical of the movie, so he's already been one more body on the sacrificial altar.

Wow, I've seen him a ton on other shows and didn't even recognize him.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Holy poo poo that question to Taibbi. God drat :iceburn:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Winkie01 posted:

Guess he put all the effort into that one question.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 27, 2015

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

So, realtalk here; what the gently caress was the point of that entire discussion? That was irritatingly vapid. If they didn't want to say anything on the issue beyond "well, this is a thing!", they should have chosen another topic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Generic American posted:

So, realtalk here; what the gently caress was the point of that entire discussion? That was irritatingly vapid. If they didn't want to say anything on the issue beyond "well, this is a thing!", they should have chosen another topic.

I'm trying to figure that out myself, that entire episode felt like a waste of everyone's time.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I think I was expecting him to at least not be terrified of saying something the vets on the panel might not agree with.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Winkie01 posted:

I have to give Taibbi kudos - he didn't come off as much of a smug prick as he often does on TV. (and I say this as someone who generally admires his journalism)

I thought Sabrina Jalees was fine, but I wish I could say to every lesbian comedian, "Hey, ladies? It's rad that you like other women, and I'm glad you can get married in sane places. But every third line that you say doesn't need to be something along the lines of, 'Penis? I don't like that!!! Tee-hee!!!'"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So... Am I the only one who saw Rick Perry catch himself before he said 'Iowa'? Because it sure as hell looked like he was gonna say Texas before remembering he's trying to gain support for being President here.

Also the thought of Donald Trump labouring to build his dream fence in the desert amuses me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I get lathered up into a murderous rage whenever I hear Sarah Palin speak.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm still not sure if Sarah Palin believes what she says or if she just found a group that will worship her like a god and is sticking with it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

She makes total sense when you imagine any of her speeches as improvised beauty pageant contestant answers.

She came from that world and never changed. Every time she speaks, I think she's going to end with "because some people out there in our nation don't have maps."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I really enjoyed the part where that sniper guy said "I don't care why we were there" followed by "I was there because I saw the towers come down" and awkward clapping.

That and no one mentioning any of the poo poo like saying he was picking off people from atop the Superdome.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Spoke Lee posted:

I really enjoyed the part where that sniper guy said "I don't care why we were there" followed by "I was there because I saw the towers come down" and awkward clapping.

That and no one mentioning any of the poo poo like saying he was picking off people from atop the Superdome.

I haven't been following the American Sniper stuff all that closely so I can't say anything about whatever the Superdome stuff.

What the sniper guy said seemed fairly clear. All the political wrangling and justification are pretty irrelevant to him. He personally was there because he felt a call to serve his country after the attacks of 9/11. While there he did his job of saving the lives of fellow soldiers and civilians by killing other people. And doing that hosed him up to the point that he spent a good two years drunk.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I felt like the conversation was inadequate. The Hurt Locker was well received by most people who had an opinion on it. There's a reason why war movies like Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper were controversial. So it shouldn't be about war movies in general. In this case, it's because the man chosen to to represent the Complicated Soldier was quite morally dubious. He bragged about shooting Hurricane Katrina looters; though that story was probably made up. His estate also had that lawsuit with Jesse Ventura (who I'm no big fan of) were it does look like Ventura looks like he has a strong case that Chris Kyle slandered him.

A vaccine episode? Okay, I don't want an actual debate. I want Wilmore and the four panelists to circlejerk over how stupid anti-vaxxers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Nightly Show's panel segments kinda remind me of Crossballs, or that short-lived show with Colin Quinn. Neither of them lasted very long- although with Crossballs, it was a show with a premise that guaranteed that it wouldn't be around for a long time. I guess Comedy Central thinks the third time's the charm if they get a guy with Daily Show pedigree.

• Locked thread