Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Something looks just so, so off about SS4 Raditz.

I don't know what but it's just loving weird to look at.

It's the fact that the top part is gone but the dick armor remains.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RZApublican posted:

It's the fact that the top part is gone but the dick armor remains.

And the hairless legs. Piccolo must've permanently singed them off.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

Something looks just so, so off about SS4 Raditz.

I don't know what but it's just loving weird to look at.

It's the absurdity of Raditz ever becoming a Super Saiyan

Also that SS3 form is insane, I can only figure his hair is growing hair

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fake Super Sayians always look so awful. Toryiama originally just made it a thing where your hair goes blonde. Fans always try to make it something elaborate and dumb.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dragon Ball AU idea; every time an alien comes to Earth they bonk their head on something, gets amnesia, and become a good guy, and yes this makes makes a large chunk of Dragon Ball Z's events into a complete farce(inspired by several What If scenarios in various Dragon Ball video games where thus happens to Raditz and Broly)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

drrockso20 posted:

Dragon Ball AU idea; every time an alien comes to Earth they bonk their head on something, gets amnesia, and become a good guy, and yes this makes makes a large chunk of Dragon Ball Z's events into a complete farce(inspired by several What If scenarios in various Dragon Ball video games where thus happens to Raditz and Broly)

Only if this occurs by increasingly improbable events (mecha Freeza comes and gets a virus while a tiny meteorite simultaneously conks Cold)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Only if this occurs by increasingly improbable events (mecha Freeza comes and gets a virus while a tiny meteorite simultaneously conks Cold)

Cell's incubation pod tips over.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Look I just want to be Great Saiyanman and save the world. Please let this be the game to do that

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Look I just want to be Great Saiyaman and save the world. Please let this be the game to do that

He and his sidekick are trainers, so yeah.

E: I like how "Saiyaman" gives me the spellcheck ok.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Covok posted:

Fake Super Sayians always look so awful. Toryiama originally just made it a thing where your hair goes blonde. Fans always try to make it something elaborate and dumb.

This isn't even a hidden aspect of Toriyama's design process, if you look at the early designs for Goku, Freeza's first couple of forms and such. I think in a manga volume or interview or something the reason he gives why Goku isn't way more Son Wukong looking is because he was thinking he'd need to draw this character a billion times, so he wanted the design to stay simple. Goku also has a very distinct silhouette, a nice iconic design.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prison Warden posted:

This isn't even a hidden aspect of Toriyama's design process, if you look at the early designs for Goku, Freeza's first couple of forms and such. I think in a manga volume or interview or something the reason he gives why Goku isn't way more Son Wukong looking is because he was thinking he'd need to draw this character a billion times, so he wanted the design to stay simple. Goku also has a very distinct silhouette, a nice iconic design.

Then he made Cell and had to put those dots on, in the same place, in the same number, every time.

But, yeah, that's Tori for you: practical.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Look I just want to be Great Saiyanman and save the world. Please let this be the game to do that

I want to team up with Trunks and Videl in their Saiyamen outfits.

I also want to be able to do rider kicks.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

This isnt some Toriyama design process, its totally normal for comics in general. You want the character you'll draw most often to be simple since you draw it all the god drat time, but still iconic. Just look at the original Marvel or DC designs. Theyre simple as hell and generally only like 2 colors.

Vegeta's armor got simpler with time, Piccolo takes off the cloak to fight. Stuff like that.

KoB fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 24, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

KoB posted:

This isnt some Toriyama design process, its totally normal for comics in general. You want the character you'll draw most often to be simple since you draw it all the god drat time, but still iconic. Just look at the original Marvel or DC designs. Theyre simple as hell and generally only like 2 colors.

While I knows this is true and completely agree with you, counterpoint: webs on spiderman's costume.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

KoB posted:

Love how one punch man takes that to ridiculous extremes.

MastG
May 25, 2014

sharktamer posted:

Love how one punch man takes that to ridiculous extremes.

And it's absolutely perfect.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is there anything even remotely similar to Dragon Ball Multiverse floating around out there?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm way, way behind on this Xenoverse thing. Gameplay-wise is it basically exactly the same as every other DBZ brawler that's ever come out like Battle of the Gods? Large arenas, flight, camera over the shoulder, lock on, one button for strikes, one button for projectiles, very simple button-combos for special attacks?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Pierson posted:

I'm way, way behind on this Xenoverse thing. Gameplay-wise is it basically exactly the same as every other DBZ brawler that's ever come out like Battle of the Gods? Large arenas, flight, camera over the shoulder, lock on, one button for strikes, one button for projectiles, very simple button-combos for special attacks?

Yeah. Pretty much the main thing is it's by Dimps (instead of Spike), you have create-a-character, some sort of online lobby and online co-op, and some features lifted from Dragon Ball Online.

Dimps is made up of former SNK and Capcom employees including the SF co-creator... and makes pretty okay games. Dimps made the old Budokai games & Burst Limit, and Spike made Raging Blast and the old Budokai Tenkaichi games.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 25, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I've been watching old DBZ fight scenes and I've never realized this before but most of them are like, incredibly short.

Like the majority of the actual fighting in, say, the Bojack movie takes place within 20 minutes. in 20 minutes Gohan fights and loses to Bojack's minions, Bojack beats Picollo, Vegeta shows up and Bojack beats him, Bojack beats up Gohan, Goku saves Gohan, and Bojack dies to Gohan.

The Fight with Broly in his Second Movie from Gohan's appearance is like 16 minutes, it's even shorter.

While I liked them to begin with, going back to watch them makes them feel unsatisfying because it always seems like either the bad guys are unambiguously crushing the good guys, or the good guys instantly win.

It feels like this is mostly a movie thing, though, looking back at the anime and manga, because the fights usually seemed far more even then.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It was mostly the movies. The movies followed a staple to a T. Bad guys shows up, everyone comes in to fight, get their rear end kicked. Piccolo comes in, kicks some rear end and then gets his rear end kicked. Goku comes in gets his rear end kicked and then uses the spirit bomb to take out the big baddy or is the one to deliver the final blow.

In short most of the movies sucked. Except Fusion Reborn. That was great.

Also Battle of the Gods was great.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shindragon posted:

It was mostly the movies. The movies followed a staple to a T. Bad guys shows up, everyone comes in to fight, get their rear end kicked. Piccolo comes in, kicks some rear end and then gets his rear end kicked. Goku comes in gets his rear end kicked and then uses the spirit bomb to take out the big baddy or is the one to deliver the final blow.

Later movies also replace Piccolo with Vegeta. Or add a Vegeta comes in, kicks some rear end and then gets his rear end kicked section to pad it out.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Shindragon posted:

Fusion Reborn and Battle of the Gods both feel like actual fights instead of smushing them in. Fusion Reborn is basically 30 minutes of punchmans and 15 minutes of story.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Dead Zone is the best film because the fight choreography is excellent and everyone gets to play a part in defeating Garlic Jr. Plus, it feels more like a Dragonball movie than a Dragonball Z movie, and the rich red and gold colour scheme makes it look like a Chinese martial arts film.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, I was gonna say Dead Zone owns bones and I liked World's Strongest, too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah the movies don't seem to really decline till Cooler in terms of fight quality

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah the movies don't seem to really decline till Cooler in terms of fight quality

wasn't Cooler 2 really good in terms of fighting? the fight between Goku/Vegeta and Cooler lasted a good portion of the movie.

EDIT: Never mind. That was apparently only 11 minutes. drat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

wasn't Cooler 2 really good in terms of fighting? the fight between Goku/Vegeta and Cooler lasted a good portion of the movie.

I still can't believe how many times they kicked Vegeta in the dick.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

Animation was loving terrible too. Take a look at Team Four Star's Making Of Cooler 2 to get a better look.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

It was short, but Goku vs Meta Cooler was indeed pretty cool, even if the rest of the movie sucked.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cooler 2 owns and i hope all the haters get punched in the rear end

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I never liked Return of Cooler and when I saw people in here praising it I was surprised but I felt justified when Kaiserneko tore it apart in the BTS video.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Fusion Reborn is the best because it has Gotenks vs. Hitler and Hercule vs. Zombies (and Hercule was winning).

Also Gohan kills Freeza with one punch. Plus there was just a generally decent amount of fighting going on.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

StrifeHira posted:

Fusion Reborn is the best because it has Gotenks vs. Hitler and Hercule vs. Zombies (and Hercule was winning).

Also Gohan kills Freeza with one punch. Plus there was just a generally decent amount of fighting going on.

This is a good opinion. Fusion Reborn is the best movie of them all because the comedy was actually pretty good and it had Gogeta murdering Janemba with maybe five hits.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Just re-watched World's Strongest for the first time in years. I forgot how drat good that movie is.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Just re-watched World's Strongest for the first time in years. I forgot how drat good that movie is.

Yeah it really is the best of the early DBZ movies(although the rest of Movies 1-4 are also really good in my opinion as well), also one of those situations where the Ocean Group dub is better than the Funimation dub

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DBZA is coming up on one of the best moments in the entire series - Vegeta absolutely annihilating Cell. I'm really looking forward to that - he's cocky as hell in the series as is, I AM THE HYPE Vegeta is going to be turning it up to 11. Or maybe they'll have him hit him once and go 'gently caress it go get your android' or something. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

It really doesnt matter because Bio Broly is the worst

• Locked thread