Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

VDay posted:

It's actually Alt+a.

Whoops. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone else running into a bug where certain jobs stop repeating in workshops? Jobs not marked as suspended, but just never go active. Couple of examples like my Carpenter who does nothing but carpentry not making barrels even though the barrel making job wasn't suspended, I have plenty of wood, not an issue with burrows or linked stockpiles, etc etc. All of a sudden I'm getting miasma everywhere because food wasn't getting barreled. Also noticed my Magma Glass Furnace doing the same thing. And my glassmaker has no other job. Have plenty of bags of sand and pearlash. I'm on 40.24, but I was having the same thing happen in 40.23. I feel like it may be a bug with workflow, because it is always jobs that are being managed by workflow that go wonky.

Edit: Yeah, I think workflow is bugged. I did "workflow unlimit-all" and things are working again.... by which I mean somehow it still remembers the limits I just told it to erase, and now it is unsuspending orders and they are being worked. Well, some of them. I think I'm just going to consider this fortress a loss.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 24, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The DFHack people got impatient and released 40.24-r0 - the same one I stuck out a while ago. However, this means that Mifki updated TWBT to match. You can expect a current version of the Starter Pack soon as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

scamtank posted:

The DFHack people got impatient and released 40.24-r0 - the same one I stuck out a while ago. However, this means that Mifki updated TWBT to match. You can expect a current version of the Starter Pack soon as well.

He apparently already did a test release and the new version should come online in a few hours.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Has .40.x killed off all kobolds forever? I haven't had a single Kobold thief in multiple forts, multiple worlds, since the July release; come to think of it, no Goblin snatchers either. Sieges and ambushes started to reappear more frequently when he fixed the "stuck armies" bug, but still no thieves. Plenty of FBs and weres tho.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I had a .40.23 kobold theft. They do seem to be more rare. Haven't had a goblin snatcher since the version before. I've been getting besieged, raided, beasted, and were'd like crazy though. Not too many titans. One hydra, two dragons.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I've seen plenty of kobolds, but I haven't had much luck attracting goblins. Probably just too impatient to wait for their arrival.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

canepazzo posted:

Has .40.x killed off all kobolds forever? I haven't had a single Kobold thief in multiple forts, multiple worlds, since the July release; come to think of it, no Goblin snatchers either. Sieges and ambushes started to reappear more frequently when he fixed the "stuck armies" bug, but still no thieves. Plenty of FBs and weres tho.

This is just a hunch, but I haven't noticed kobolds in any of my games for quite a while myself, so I think they might be getting killed off in worldgen. Kobolds are wimps after all.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

skasion posted:

This is just a hunch, but I haven't noticed kobolds in any of my games for quite a while myself, so I think they might be getting killed off in worldgen. Kobolds are wimps after all.

drat it, I love when they grow kobolder and send raids

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I've got plenty, but only after they fixed the bug was stopping seiges.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Confirming that goblins and kobolds work just fine in .23, as I have gotten some in my first year on my most recent fortress.

In that same fortress, I have also been blessed with 7 fisherdwarf migrants. :sigh:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Looks like the startdwarf command in DFHack is one of the ones that still needs to have an address found :negative:

I just want to embark with huge/tiny military armies and gently caress around, why must it be so hard.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

Looks like the startdwarf command in DFHack is one of the ones that still needs to have an address found :negative:

I just want to embark with huge/tiny military armies and gently caress around, why must it be so hard.

This comment reminded me of a thought I have been mulling over.

Would there be any interest in an embark sharing service where someone finds an embark they like and posts it for someone else to pick it up and do something with it? That something could be as vague as, "get it stared," or as specific as "make a steel equipped squad," and so on. Such a thing probably already exists somewhere on bay12 or elsewhere, since I know there are world generation services and embark location services.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

This comment reminded me of a thought I have been mulling over.

Would there be any interest in an embark sharing service where someone finds an embark they like and posts it for someone else to pick it up and do something with it? That something could be as vague as, "get it stared," or as specific as "make a steel equipped squad," and so on. Such a thing probably already exists somewhere on bay12 or elsewhere, since I know there are world generation services and embark location services.

I have no actual input but you should totally call this "Dwarf Realtor"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can I transfer a world I make in 40.23 into my 40.24 folder? Or does .24 need a new world/game to not screw something up?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My understanding is that they are save compatible, and there should be no problems. I think the last save-incompatible version was ten or more versions back.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, they're totally compatible. It's good practice to check file_changes.txt to see what your raws are missing, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

maybe bonghits will untangle these devlogs

Toady One posted:

The new entertainment stuff is coming into focus... been reading a lot to try and make a good first attempt, though categorization is difficult in many cases. As usual, everything that follows is subject to change. There'll be seven new generic skills governing the new stuff (dancing as well as music which sits over singing and 4 instrument skills), and the poetry skill that has been sitting in the code will also come to use. We're using "poet", "bard" and "dancer" as professional names for the moment. I'd prefer to generate those roles, but I won't have the framework for it until later, so the relevant visitors'll be more or less like the world gen hero roles for now.

Poetic, musical and dance forms will be generated by culture. There will be both knowledge and skill-based components to this -- so you can't compose a poem of a variety you aren't familiar with, no matter how good you are, but once you learn the rules, the quality will depend on your skills/atts. It'll start with the poet's general skill, and they'll also develop specific skill with the form, in a way that's probably most analogous to what we were planning with combat styles. I didn't expect this to come before those, but it did. The quality of the outcome should depend on broader cultural familiarity or varying qualities/depths of knowledge, but I'm not going to get into any of that yet: just a knowledge check box to get started and then a few related skills.

I've come up with a list of stats for instruments for the raws and for the generator... we're not going to go deep into the nightmare of equal vs. just temperament and multiple materials and so on, but there might be hints of that. There'll be skill-like stats for specific instruments as well, so you might be a wind instrumentalist, but that'll only help so much if you pick up a new instrument type in that family.

oh sweet jesus I was kidding when I said "I'm looking forward to the procedural poetry generator"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally we will get to read the contents of those books that litter the legends, and they will make no goddamned sense but only because we are too dense to recognise their masterful wordcraft.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It'll start with the poet's general skill, and they'll also develop specific skill with the form, in a way that's probably most analogous to what we were planning with combat styles. I didn't expect this to come before those, but it did.

Shaolin Dwarf

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

scamtank posted:

maybe bonghits will untangle these devlogs

oh sweet jesus I was kidding when I said "I'm looking forward to the procedural poetry generator"

No temperament simulation? Wow, I didn't know this was a casual game for babies.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The great schism of the mountain homes came when the false prophet Bowie formed the Glam Rock Clans and they warred against the Hard Rock Clans.

Dwarven Poetry Slam.

Beatboxing Elves.

Breakdancing Ork Fu vs Dwarven BBoy Crane Style.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Moridin920 posted:

Shaolin Dwarf

I seriously can't wait to see a Shaw Brothers mod for DF, with combat alerts like "Ah, I see you are a student of the *Cartwheeling Fluffy Wambler* style! But surely you see my =Black Bronze Lungfish= technique is unbeatable!!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Whoa hey do you know who accidentally all of the remaining DFHack globals and offsets?

Quietust. Quietust did.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

scamtank posted:

Whoa hey do you know who accidentally all of the remaining DFHack globals and offsets?

Quietust. Quietust did.

Yeah, from IRC:

[23:00] <_Q> keep forgetting to do those
[23:00] <_Q> I'll do them now
[23:35] <_Q> Windows offsets in 0.40.24 look like they should mostly be 0.40.23 plus 0x1000
[23:36] <_Q> the starting ones are, anyways
[23:49] <structureb0t> [df-structures] quietust pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/m-S7dg
[23:49] <structureb0t> df-structures/master e1151e8 Quietust: Add remaining symbols for 0.40.24
[23:53] <_Q> that should do it

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, from IRC:

[23:00] <_Q> keep forgetting to do those
[23:00] <_Q> I'll do them now
[23:35] <_Q> Windows offsets in 0.40.24 look like they should mostly be 0.40.23 plus 0x1000
[23:36] <_Q> the starting ones are, anyways
[23:49] <structureb0t> [df-structures] quietust pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/m-S7dg
[23:49] <structureb0t> df-structures/master e1151e8 Quietust: Add remaining symbols for 0.40.24
[23:53] <_Q> that should do it

I love static addresses :allears:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The 40.24 Starter Pack r1 is out.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Shaolin Dwarf

Giant Tiger-Man Style

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Robot Randy posted:

Giant Tiger-Man Style

Your Giant Tiger-Man Style is no match for the serene graces of the Giant Sponge Form.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Can you hear that?

that's the noise made by the next eight months of my life gurgling away into the "RESERVED" bin

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Defense design question.

The picture oval room is going to be my magma-fired industry room. The stairwell on the right leads up 120 layers to the rest of my fortress. I will obviously put floor hatches on the levels above this one which I can lock to keep out the potential magma-swimming building destroyer, but hopefully the vertical tunnel there (which will house a drawbridge) combined with locked doors on both sides of the horizontal tunnels will be enough to contain anything that might swim up through the magma and harass my industry dwarfs.

What would be the best way to limit the damage of such critters?

Closing off the area while I muster my military and then sending them in to exact vengeance after everyone locked inside has already died is effective at preserving the rest of the fortress but a clearly undesirable outcome given that it assumes my legendary workers will die in the process. Should I perhaps move my barracks nearer to the crafting hall and station a squad in the room, or is there some way to keep magma-swimming critters from getting into the works?

To clarify, this room is designated directly above a patch of the magma sea and my plan right now is to just channel tiles for workshop magma access. Any advice would be appreciated!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nothing can destroy a hatch from below. Use this to your advantage.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

Yes, this is why floor hatches above this hall are a guaranteed way to contain any threat that swims up through the magma.

But that would trap my magma workers inside with the beast. It is a last resort that I am definitely going to build, but not an ideal solution.

I am looking for some way to limit the damage of such magma swimmers or, ideally, prevent them from entering the fortress at all.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Nietzschean posted:

Yes, this is why floor hatches above this hall are a guaranteed way to contain any threat that swims up through the magma.

But that would trap my magma workers inside with the beast. It is a last resort that I am definitely going to build, but not an ideal solution.

I am looking for some way to limit the damage of such magma swimmers or, ideally, prevent them from entering the fortress at all.

Position the holes so that parts of the Magma Forge workshop cover them

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You're only going to need to fill the chamber with magma once, right? Don't fill the chamber directly, use pumps instead (just make sure you don't flood the fortress since the magma is going to be pressurized, I suggest having a depressurizer at the entrance of the chamber). Once the chamber is full, build a floor or a locked hatch over the pump's intake. With a clever arrangement of tunnels, you should be able to deconstruct the pumps without risking a flood.

But the absolutely easiest way to ensure safety is:

Gibbo posted:

Position the holes so that parts of the Magma Forge workshop cover them

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

my dad posted:

This is untrue. I've had plenty of building destroyer forgotten beasts destroy my hatches from the caverns.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This is untrue. I've had plenty of building destroyer forgotten beasts destroy my hatches from the caverns.

Really? :stare: That never happened to me. Were they locked?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yup. The thing just flew up to them and knocked them down. I had to build walls to keep it out.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dfhack-r1 is up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Does a Large game world (not embark site, the actual world) impact performance negatively compared to a medium/small one? Like is the game going to be doing a ton more calculations in the background or anything for the rest of the world? Or is it just the embark site that really matters?