Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It has better raw performance, but it's display isn't great and hiccups in basic operation a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I think it has a pretty good display, no complaints here, I like the 4:3 ratio. Definitely can't say its not a leap from the nexus 7's display, no its not a Samsung display but it seems like the next best thing.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Eh, so I just ordered an Nvidia Shield tablet and reading the replies around here has made me a bit hesitant... Did I just buy an overpriced turd? :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the replies around here were actually pretty positive about the Shield Tablet?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah it's one of the few tablets worth buying right now.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Oh, ok my bad. Saw all the crap about the Tegra K1 and got worried. Thanks!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Oh, yeah, there are more than one chip design called the Tegra K1 (don't even ask about nVidia's naming system for mobile GPUs). The 32-bit Tegra K1 in the Shield Tablet has been garnering favorable opinions.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bhm posted:

Oh, ok my bad. Saw all the crap about the Tegra K1 and got worried. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and buy a high capacity microSD card. I plan on dropping back down to KK though since my memory editing apps don't work anymore in lollipop. Personal suggestion, Samsung's Pro line. I get 50/70 write read speeds with it through the tablet itself, rated for 70/100.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SlayVus posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy a high capacity microSD card. I plan on dropping back down to KK though since my memory editing apps don't work anymore in lollipop. Personal suggestion, Samsung's Pro line. I get 50/70 write read speeds with it through the tablet itself, rated for 70/100.

And name the volume before using it. The tablet just won't allow much use with an unnamed card.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man the lower battery on lollipop is really brutal. It's not fun going from losing like 3% from a full day of idel to 10%

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Odd question, is there a software setting in Android 4.4.2 that can mess with the sleep/wake up functionality of the magnetic latch on a case?

It would seem that my battery drain might be related to the fact that the tablet isn't turning the screen off when I close the case. Sometimes it seems to deactivate the screen a few seconds after I close the cover, sometimes it turns it off when I open the cover. It seems to have given up entirely on waking by opening the cover.

Basically I want to be sure I'm not being a complete fool before I take it back and say I think the sensor is buggered. Cheers.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Odd question, is there a software setting in Android 4.4.2 that can mess with the sleep/wake up functionality of the magnetic latch on a case?

It would seem that my battery drain might be related to the fact that the tablet isn't turning the screen off when I close the case. Sometimes it seems to deactivate the screen a few seconds after I close the cover, sometimes it turns it off when I open the cover. It seems to have given up entirely on waking by opening the cover.

Basically I want to be sure I'm not being a complete fool before I take it back and say I think the sensor is buggered. Cheers.

Nope, but I have seen that some cases with lovely build quality cause the screen to act wacky.

I'd try a different case.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Alright guys, I got my fourth N9 from Amazon and the screen bleed was so bad, it was like a solid white line around the edges of the screen, so see ya later shitlords!

Just to be clear, that link is to SAMart where I'm selling the Magic Cover and a hard glass screen protector for the N9, if anyone with one is interested.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 27, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I ended up buying an iPad Air 2 and it is an unbelievably nice device. Shame about the OS, but the hardware is so much better than the Nexus 9 it's not even a close comparison. Thinner, way better battery life, nicer screen. Well worth the extra $100.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

I ended up buying an iPad Air 2 and it is an unbelievably nice device. Shame about the OS, but the hardware is so much better than the Nexus 9 it's not even a close comparison. Thinner, way better battery life, nicer screen. Well worth the extra $100.

I got a refurb iPad Air for $10 less than the N9.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I got a refurb iPad Air for $10 less than the N9.
Not if the time you spent buying and returning four N9's isn't worthless.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Not if the time you spent buying and returning four N9's isn't worthless.

Amazon return process is completely painless including UPS pickup. I didn't even setup the last three, I just turned them on, checked the screen and right back off and in the box they went.

But yes, the N9 is a big waste of my time and I hate it.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

Heads up to anyone looking for a great smaller tablet.

The Nvidia shield tablet loving rocks. I love mine to bits. Haven't had it for very long at all but it beats the poo poo out of my galaxy tab 4 by a wide margin in everything except weight.

Bhm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 27, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How have OS updates on the Shield tablets been? Or has it even been out long enough to tell?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

How have OS updates on the Shield tablets been? Or has it even been out long enough to tell?
It's on 5.0.1, I think.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermopyle posted:

I have the 32GB LTE version. It shipped with 4.4.4 (I think) and had an update for 5.0.1 waiting when I turned it on.

Battery life is pretty weak if you leave the cell radio on, but now that I do Airplane Mode + WiFi it seems quite a bit better.

Plus all my work friends are jealous as hell when I'm playing Portal on my tablet at lunchtime.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Glad to see more people jumping on the Shield Tablet bandwagon. I've had mine since August and came from a Nexus 10. Had an issue where it won't turn on occasionally, and I have to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, then let go and push it 1 more time to turn it back on (maybe once a week), but aside from that, performance has not been an issue at all. Noticeably more powerful than the Nexus 10. And the Wireless Controller with the tablet connected to my 60" TV in Console mode is boss!! Gaming has been really fun.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Should I have gotten the shield instead of an iPad Air ...

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Plenty of time to return it! Just do it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

But it's not 4:3.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beerinator posted:

Plenty of time to return it! Just do it!

iPad will be here Friday...I really think I'm going to stick with this one. I just don't know how to get my 10bit animes on it...

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

But it's not 4:3.

It doesn't need to be at 8", if it was 9" yeah go for it get a bag because it ain't fitting in your rear end pocket either way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Daimo posted:

It doesn't need to be at 8", if it was 9" yeah go for it get a bag because it ain't fitting in your rear end pocket either way.

I'm gonna take a break from android tablets. Maybe next years nexus will be worth it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

I'm gonna take a break from android tablets. Maybe next years nexus will be worth it.

Android Tablet Thread: Maybe Next Year's Nexus Will Be Worth It

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daimo posted:

No, he has made multiple comments that he much prefers 4:3 for his usage, which is reading PDFs with technical drawings, where 16:10 or 16:9 don't fit as well.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

If all you care about is game streaming, the Shield portable is still excellent and cheaper than the tablet.

If you want a nice tablet, you got one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If all you care about is game streaming, the Shield portable is still excellent and cheaper than the tablet.

If you want a nice tablet, you got one.

Just for reading. No game streaming.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
SIR FAT JONY IVES is probably the nicest guy ever, but if I were you guys, I wouldn't try to assist him with purchase or exchange guidance. He's got all that under some sort of control.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm sure the iPad thread will convince him that last year's Air is poo poo and what he really needs is an Air 2. Which really when I think about it yes, the Air 2 is an awesome tablet because TouchID and you should've bought that if you were getting an iPad.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is it OK to talk about disposable tablets here? What are decent ones? My cousin bought one for his brother, who didn't want it and gave it to me to sell. It's a POS, but it works well for Netflix,/Amazon video, surfing the web, Chromecasting, and email. The screen is a piece of poo poo, the camera is even worse, probably an 0.3MP deal. Surprisingly it comes with Android 4.4.4 and can take a mini SD card, since it has only 1GB of memory. I don't think he could get even $25 for it, it doesnt even have bluetooth.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Asked in the general recommend-a-tablet thread already, but it seems pretty dead:

I'm replacing a 10" Nook HD+ and I'm considering a Note tablet even though I dislike touchwiz.

What I need:
Great display for media.
Decent web browsing performance
Good battery life
Android

What I'd like:
Basic support for drawing apps - what tablets come with digitisers now?

What I don't really need:
3d graphics/gaming capability
Lollipop

I really liked the Nook for its price, but it's starting to pant a bit on fairly basic websites, and forget anything with gifs.

Budget: £400 ($600)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Chas McGill posted:

Asked in the general recommend-a-tablet thread already, but it seems pretty dead:

I'm replacing a 10" Nook HD+ and I'm considering a Note tablet even though I dislike touchwiz.

What I need:
Great display for media.
Good battery life
Android

What I'd like:

Lollipop

I really liked the Nook for its price, but it's starting to pant a bit on fairly basic websites, and forget anything with gifs.

Even though you discount 3d graphics/gaming capability and Lollipop, you should seriously consider the nVidia Shield Tablet (currently £240 on Amazon UK).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rastor posted:

Even though you discount 3d graphics/gaming capability and Lollipop, you should seriously consider the nVidia Shield Tablet (currently £240 on Amazon UK).
Woah, that looks great. I wish the screen was bigger, though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Chas McGill posted:

What I need:
Great display for media.
Good battery life
Android

What I'd like:

Lollipop

The Note is a solid contender although I don't know if the S-Pen means it has a digitizer that's actually good. I'd choose the Tab S over the Note, though they both have great displays. Replace the launcher and Touchwiz probably won't bother you too much.

If your'e looking for a strong media player, check the Xperia Z2 tablet which has front facing speakers (you'll never go back), a great screen, magnetic charging and is waterproof.

I think all of these cost a good deal more than the Nook HD though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

If your'e looking for a strong media player, check the Xperia Z2 tablet which has front facing speakers (you'll never go back), a great screen, magnetic charging and is waterproof.

Shield Tablet hasfront speakers too!. And is cheaper.