Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Grouchio posted:

You're...glad you went to Detroit? America's industrial corpse?

Have you seen the new Ford GT? I'd crawl over broken glass to get a glimpse of that car (Note: traveling to Detroit does not literally involve travelling over broken glass.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grapplejack posted:

It's like flying right after a plane crash! It just happened, the odds of it happening again so quickly is absolutely minuscule and you'll have to pay less to fly due to the scare! it's a win/win!

*Offer may not apply to Malaysia

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Have you seen the new Ford GT? I'd crawl over broken glass to get a glimpse of that car (Note: traveling to Detroit does not literally involve travelling over broken glass.)

It's uglier than the old one and has a V6. Note: there's nothing wrong with a V6 (in a Camry).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grouchio posted:

You're...glad you went to Detroit? America's industrial corpse?

My mom grew up in Berkley, so we've made almost yearly trips back up to Detroit since about 2007. I actually enjoy my time up there, and the place has some good restaurants and attractions. The inner city got hit the worst but is still fully functioning for the most part, and the suburbs and urban sprawl are practically identical to how they were 10 years ago.

Just off the top of my head you've got the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village, John K. King Used and Rare Books, the GM Renaissance Center, and Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum. For seasonal stuff there's the Erebus haunted house in Pontiac (the world's biggest for a few years) and various other decent haunts around the Metro Detroit area and fall festivals like the one at the Franklin Cider Mill if you want to get quality produce really cheap.

Hasn't stopped mall t-shirt vendors from selling "I'm so tough, I vacation in Detroit" shirts.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Quote of the Day:

Revered historian and scholar Newton Gingrich posted:

Why are there no Japanese troops hunting down and killing the ISIS leaders who behead Japanese. Japan is a wealthy powerful nation.

Hmm, yes, intriguing question. Let me consult my archive and try to find an answer ...

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 25, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
What would the punishment for violating article nine be anyway? The diet glares at you the next time you enter the chamber?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trollbama gonna troll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hey_WIAFVA

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ufarn posted:

Quote of the Day:

Hmm, yes, intriguing question. Let me consult my archive and try to find an answer ...
I still wonder sometimes, do people like him have staff who handle their Twitter accounts, or write poo poo like that themselves? Either way, that's gotta sting if you're Japanese and care about this stuff.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
They're all run by staffers.

edit: I'm sure some of the tweets are still Newt's idea and even his own phrasing, but I guarantee he doesn't type any of them out himself. You don't get to be a prominent politician without running everything you say in public by at least one other person.

Guy DeBorgore fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 25, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Guy DeBorgore posted:

They're all run by staffers.

edit: I'm sure some of the tweets are still Newt's idea and even his own phrasing, but I guarantee he doesn't type any of them out himself. You don't get to be a prominent politician without running everything you say in public by at least one other person.

Newt isn't a politician.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Newt isn't a politician.

So was the world more sane or a different kind of crazy when he was speaker?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
More in general though, an American telling other countries that they need to work harder to deal with this poo poo we started is painful to hear.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aurubin posted:

More sane in that Newt is very simple to understand. He doesn't have an ideology outside of "more Newt".

And he definitely runs his social media accounts himself.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

Newt isn't a politician.

Fair point, but take a look at the other tweets he's sent out. Guarantee you this one wasn't his idea: "The Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa is doing a great job of combining science and medicine to move forward in helping patients."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Aurubin posted:

As the Definer of Civilization and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces, a world influenced by Newt's touch is saner by definition :newt:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I believe that's what we call a "smart take".

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

There was more life in Detroit yesterday than in Iowa. Intelligent life anyway. :)

University of Iowa disagrees with you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Fair point, but take a look at the other tweets he's sent out. Guarantee you this one wasn't his idea: "The Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa is doing a great job of combining science and medicine to move forward in helping patients."

Sounds like something Newt would say. I wonder what his rates to tweet things out are.

"The Something Awful Discussion Forum in Missouri is doing a great job of combining reason with comedy for a low price"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Love the "fight ageism" at the bottom. Stop discriminating the negative aged!!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

These guys (the Abolish Abortion people) are such loving tools, the group had a pretty significant presence on my university campus and every single one of them was completely insufferable. I say 'guys' rather than 'people' because they were literally all men. White men. Who compare themselves to the abolitionist movement.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mister Bates posted:

These guys (the Abolish Abortion people) are such loving tools, the group had a pretty significant presence on my university campus and every single one of them was completely insufferable. I say 'guys' rather than 'people' because they were literally all men. White men. Who compare themselves to the abolitionist movement.

How else do you expect to get some sweet, crazy jesus lover poontang whose abortion is the only moral abortion?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

How else do you expect to get some sweet, crazy jesus lover poontang whose abortion is the only moral abortion?

Paging Dan Lirette, Dan Lirette to USPol.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
If this means that Red State will back the opponent to Renee Elmers, and Clay Aiken runs again, then that will make strange bedfellows.

"Clay Aiken: Will never take his girlfriend to a Planned Parenthood clinic to have an abortion."

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

SedanChair posted:

Paging Dan Lirette, Dan Lirette to USPol.

Uggggghhhhh I have to remember this guy actually existed now. Thanks, SedanChair.

For those who don't though: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/The_Dan_Lirette_Story (trigger warning: nsfw nsfw encyclopedia dramatica not safe for work as all hell)

Armani fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 25, 2015

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So many people I know are saying how much they love "Trollbama" and "gives no fucks Obama", but does it piss anyone else off as much as it does me? That he's waited till long into his second term after all elections have passed to actually say what he believes and or present the bills he would want enacted? When he no longer has much if any ability to affect any positive change because the Republicans now hold both the House and Senate?

Doesn't make me think "wow Obama is suddenly being super awesome", it makes me think of what he could have accomplished had he been willing to act this way from the beginning.

There was an Australian prime minister in the 1970s, Gough Whitlam, who as soon as he came to power rushed to legislate a ton of positive legislation. He was so hated by the other main political party that they conspired with the Queens representative in Australia to get him fired from his position (by blocking supply and absolutely refusing to back down until he was replaced). Had he not been so forceful, he probably could have been prime minister for a very long time.

But he has the greatest "legacy" Australian politics has ever known. Though he was in power for a very short time, by immediately legislating bills that were of immediate demonstrative benefit to the public, the opposition was unable to weaken or reverse most of the legislation because as soon as they tried they face immense public outcry and certain electoral defeat.

Presidents are obviously focused on legacy, but just once it would be great to see a president who didn't give a poo poo about getting a second term. When Obama came in with congressional control, he should have said and proposed the things he is now. Rammed everything through, and just vetoed any attempts at reversal. He may very well have been a one term president, but who gives a poo poo? History would have looked on him far more favorably than they ever will now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shakugan posted:

Doesn't make me think "wow Obama is suddenly being super awesome", it makes me think of what he could have accomplished had he been willing to act this way from the beginning.

He definitely made mistakes in his first term, trying to compromise too much. The debt ceiling crisis of 2011 being the prime example, when he negotiated a deal with Boehner that didn't have the backing of House Republicans and led them down the road to sequestration and the rest of the fallout from that. A grave miscalculation in thinking that compromise was possible when the Republicans were sure that President Romney was right around the corner.

But there's also a lot of rewriting in terms of how much political capital Obama had in his own coalition in the first term. There were a lot more moderate Democrats then than there are now that the elections of 2010, 2012, and 2014 have all but wiped them out. Steny Hoyer had a decent chance of beating Pelosi for Majority Leader when he tried in 2008 and the anti-abortion provision in Obamacare was put there by a Democrat. That's saying nothing of the Senate. Remember Blanche Lincoln, Ben Nelson, and a bare super majority held together for a couple months by Joe Lieberman, Arlen Specter, and Ted Kennedy in a wheelchair?

There's also some of this that's been a long time in the making. He didn't just call up Raul after the 2014 election and start talking about softening relations with Cuba. And the immigration changes were supposed to come before the election, which the White House wanted. He only backed off that because the DSCC begged him to.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 25, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Obama came in as a centrist. We were all just hyped on having a young, well spoken, driven person of color as our nation's leader that we overlooked it.

Plus, he had a major goal of being a great compromiser that would end the bitter divisions in political circles brought on by Dubya. That led to a lot of spineless concessions because of the right's hard on to make him a one termer...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DNC is a master troll

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If Obama had been more combative before all the elections were finished, historians would have speculated that there was some way he could have given ground and achieved compromise with the GOP. By waiting, he lured them out. He lured them out of the fuckin' hole. Snake Hunter Obama, he waited on 'em. He had their poo poo figured out since Shirley Sherrod. But the truth is, he had their poo poo figured out since 1980.

Pat yourselves on the back, Democrats. We hired the only man who could have done this much damage to the GOP. He quickly realized that all he had to do was sit there in the Oval Office continuing to be patient and continuing to be black: immutable characteristics of his, to be sure. He knew that if he just waited on 'em, that they would keep creeping out further into the open. And then everybody would see them: out in the open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXjRxhb2fg

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shakugan posted:

This is a valid point that I've argued a lot in the past but I think he was going to roll out the troll proposals regardless of which way the election went because that's pretty much the whole point of the last two years of the second term. Granted he'd probably be rolling out less if dems still held the senate.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Palin video from her website about Mcdonalds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_SVIu_RNIE

quote:

The last screen of the McDonald’s ad says ‘Choose Lovin’.’ Maybe it should add, ‘Yeah, choose lovin’, but c’mon, be smart, choose leaders that don’t cripple the economy, won’t penalize businesses, they can trust you, the business owner, and the worker, that you won’t cause unemployment to keep skyrocketing to the degree that people can’t afford Chicken McNuggets off that 99-cent menu.’

That is an actual loving quote

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It really is every time she opens her mouth :psyduck:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm confused, is she mad because McDonald's didn't insult Obama?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

The text quote doesn't do it justice because of how she emphasizes random words.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It freaks me out that I can still understand what she is trying to say. Language shouldn't be this flexible and retain its power to communicate.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm not satisfied with how the politics have played out over Obama's term by any means but I have a hard time imagining what could have been done differently in the past 6 years which could have led to a more positive outcome, by Obama anyway.

Now the DNC? Yeah I have a few words for those neo liberal cowardly shits.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

McNuggets haven't been on the dollar menu for years smdh

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

SedanChair posted:

If Obama had been more combative before all the elections were finished, historians would have speculated that there was some way he could have given ground and achieved compromise with the GOP. By waiting, he lured them out. He lured them out of the fuckin' hole. Snake Hunter Obama, he waited on 'em. He had their poo poo figured out since Shirley Sherrod. But the truth is, he had their poo poo figured out since 1980.

Pat yourselves on the back, Democrats. We hired the only man who could have done this much damage to the GOP. He quickly realized that all he had to do was sit there in the Oval Office continuing to be patient and continuing to be black: immutable characteristics of his, to be sure. He knew that if he just waited on 'em, that they would keep creeping out further into the open. And then everybody would see them: out in the open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXjRxhb2fg

So he was playing 9th dimensional chess all along...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not satisfied with how the politics have played out over Obama's term by any means but I have a hard time imagining what could have been done differently in the past 6 years which could have led to a more positive outcome, by Obama anyway.

1. Told Boehner and Cantor to go gently caress themselves in the 2011 debt ceiling crisis.
2. Gone for a second round of stimulus in 2009, or asked for more in the first offer.
3. A whole pile of stuff at Treasury and DoJ related to finance.

It's not like the administration hasn't made mistakes, but the stuff they're doing now isn't really comparable. Today's ANWR announcement, for example, is purely trolling the Republicans. If he wanted he could turn the whole place into a national park/monument, but instead Interior is limiting access and exploration in some areas and he's "calling on Congress" to pass a bill. It's just poking Lisa Murkowski in the eye, because he can. In other words: trolling.

• Locked thread