Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If Max actually leaves Mayview anytime soon, which I suspect won't happen, he could probably just use a key to his old house and tell his dad he'll meet him there. Make up some excuse about a friend wanting to tag along. Though then he'd need to have a friend.

Depends on if the Doorman has a maximum range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MikeJF posted:

Depends on if the Doorman has a maximum range.

Ostensibly he does, or Forge wouldn't have had to trek to the border of the barrier to get into Mayview.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Max is going to have to turn down visiting his mother's grave and it's going to be absolutely heartbreaking.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

neogeo0823 posted:

Ostensibly he does, or Forge wouldn't have had to trek to the border of the barrier to get into Mayview.

Then again Forge didn't seem too bright. Didn't he immediately hurl the chunk of metal he'd hauled all the way there (presumably to forge a door with) through the barrier at those dog-spirits for making fun of him?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Then again Forge didn't seem too bright. Didn't he immediately hurl the chunk of metal he'd hauled all the way there (presumably to forge a door with) through the barrier at those dog-spirits for making fun of him?

Forge didn't know about the method. Forge just had the hammer because deep down he's a giant dork just like Spender and probably thought it made him look cool.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Forge didn't know about the method. Forge just had the hammer because deep down he's a giant dork just like Spender and probably thought it made him look cool.

Since he ALREADY HAD the locket and doorman presumably already has the key to it i'm pretty sure he has some sort of previous experience with doorman.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

reignonyourparade posted:

Since he ALREADY HAD the locket and doorman presumably already has the key to it i'm pretty sure he has some sort of previous experience with doorman.

I'll say :gay:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

reignonyourparade posted:

Nah, he was supposed to make the key though he probably did have dealing with doorman before.

Still a big old ham.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, he was supposed to drop the key for the door he makes through the locket, doorman has the separate key for the locket already

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that Forge is inside Johnny right now, turning him into a Spectral in what is and will continue to be the best plot turn in the whole comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Upd...

WHAT DO YOU KNOW, THE ALT TEXT IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, TOO.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zarei is going to tear spender a new one

why is isabel being this loyal anyway?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She is merely being extremely twelve years old about it. "I don't think I should. I don't know you."

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

See? She just doesn't want her grandpa obliterating Spender. Because he loves her very much.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I continue to like Dr. Zarei. Sending the train off early was a petty move that turned out much worse than she expected (she's finding that out now), but she seems like she's the only spectral-business-related adult around who isn't a terrible influence.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
STRANGER DANGER

SAY NO TO DRUGS, AND UNSOLICITED ADVICE FROM DOCTORS YOU DON'T KNOW

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Knew it. She was covering for Spender.

Blackheart posted:

See? She just doesn't want her grandpa obliterating Spender. Because he loves her very much.

I wonder what happened to that dog that bit Isabel when she was a really young kid...

Will grandpa's villainy ever end?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually, if you're wondering how he might have become a ghost,

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

She is merely being extremely twelve years old about it. "I don't think I should. I don't know you."

Pretty much this. It seems like you guys forget she's twelve years old. :v:

She aint' gonna just up and tell a stranger why things happened.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I wouldn't trust Zarei either, she seems sketchy. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I genuinely hope Spender has done something to earn loyalty, because we've been told time and time again by characters that he's Mr. Billy Badass and yet we really haven't seen that outside of his temporary "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" burst of ~dark powers~.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

He fell flat on his belly. When his head appears back above the grass, he's not standing tall, he's still mostly prone on the ground.
I meant more that he looks completely upright. In a way that would make sense if he was kneeling or sitting. But if he was still on his stomach, that would mean he was really flexible. Bending backwards at a 90 degree angle kind of backwards.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh I misread that, I thought her Grandad's name was "Dick" there for a second.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Countblanc posted:

I genuinely hope Spender has done something to earn loyalty, because we've been told time and time again by characters that he's Mr. Billy Badass and yet we really haven't seen that outside of his temporary "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" burst of ~dark powers~.

Well, Lucifer chewed him out and said Francisco was stronger, so it's at least implied that that reputation isn't deserved. We'll see more of that sometime, I think.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Countblanc posted:

Spender is a total dork, has lousy decision-making skills and clearly sucks at teaching, but in terms of spirit stuff he seems to be genuinely competent. Cocksure and foolish, sure, but he does know what he's doing. Thing is, he's never really shown any signs of being more than just "competent," and I suspect he actually isn't. I'm willing to bet he got his reputation for strength by leaning on the powers of that dark spirit of his, and I'd also bet he only subdued that spirit through sheer luck, if it was even his doing at all.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I suspect that he was being honest with Forge when he said that he wasn't a super-powerful figher, but has a knack for cheap shots.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I thought the implication was he got his reputation before he got that dark spirit stuck in him, but now that Lucifer's using most of its power to keep that dark spirit contained he can't use much of it?

He was a dork with a powerful spirit backing him up, now he's just a dork with a reputation he can't live up to anymore

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Suaimhneas posted:

I thought the implication was he got his reputation before he got that dark spirit stuck in him, but now that Lucifer's using most of its power to keep that dark spirit contained he can't use much of it?

He was a dork with a powerful spirit backing him up, now he's just a dork with a reputation he can't live up to anymore

I think he had Lucifer first and the dark spirit later. It seems like he's pretty good with Lucifers powers but can't really leverage them anymore because doing so results in the dark spirit getting loose.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think he had Lucifer first and the dark spirit later. It seems like he's pretty good with Lucifers powers but can't really leverage them anymore because doing so results in the dark spirit getting loose.

Living up to your username, it seems.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pik_d posted:

Living up to your username, it seems.

Ah, no. I misread before as because in his post.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We'll probably find out Spender's history at some point, but I assumed it was the other way around and Spender was possessed by the dark spirit and was then given the sunglasses tool with Lucifer in them to help him contain the spirit.

There's a whole lot of interesting questions and possibilities around that story. For example, going by the "better color match -> faster recovery" idea, Spender seems like an awful match for the shadow spirit because his color's bright yellow. Was that a coincidence, or was he actually chosen to be the spirit's prison with that in mind? If the spirit will escape when he dies, do they have a plan for what they'll do to contain the spirit after that - just pass it off to a new spectral, or is getting rid of the spirit permanently part of the "mystery" Spender's trying to solve?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Dr. Zarei. She's cool, and smarter than their dumb idiot teacher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting that she seems to be using spectral power to heal, now I see it in colour.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

MikeJF posted:

Interesting that she seems to be using spectral power to heal, now I see it in colour.

And that we pointedly don't see the palm of her hand after the fact. And the handprint she left is her skin tone.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Huh. This doesn't seem like something a spectral could do just using spectral energy, which seems to act mostly like a kind of matter that they can exude, shape and throw around. So is it a power she has from a spirit? We were already thinking that her glasses were a tool that helped her to control the ghost train. Since those two powers don't seem in any way related, could she be our THIRD potential medium-who-also-has-a-tool?

Also, while I'm talking heavy paranatural jargon, does anyone remember whether both ghosts and spirits can poltergeist, or if only one of the two can?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 26, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Watch it turn out that Zarei is just using plain ol' Magic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Nanomachines is my vote

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I've been operating under the assumption that she's possessed by some kind of snake spirit. No solid reason why, but a) creepy eyes, b) everything about her character design is long and thin, c) her spirit gas is green, d) symbolism.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Notice that after she "heals" (?) Isabel's wound (which leaves a palm print of different-colored skin on Isabel's arm), Zarei's palm is hidden from the camera for the remainder of the page. Perhaps she transferred the healthy skin from her hand to Isabel, and took Isabel's wounded skin?

(:gonk:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, she probably has more time and resources to deal with it on her own than isabel does :v: