Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Calaveron posted:

I think his wife leaves him and takes his kid and he just descends into alcoholism.

At any rate, I know Connor was dull, but I thought he was pretty interesting in that he was one of the first characters to question the assassins and actually tried to understand the templars' PoV

lol Holy poo poo. Well that's unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's hard to be sure how seriously we're meant to take what few references there are to his later life. They could be completely straightforward, but then again they come from in-universe Templar propaganda, so who knows.

I like Connor, so I'd like to know either way. I do think it's bullshit that we didn't get a cameo or a mention or anything in Unity or Rogue. Both games take place during his lifetime. Feels like a wasted opportunity.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wow the only Native American protagonist happens to descend into alcoholism. This work of fiction was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Well, if you take into account how his dad and gramps died, I suppose you could say the entire Kenway line is cursed. :v: I think there was a(nother) throwaway line in one of the emails that Edward's dad was a pig farmer. We do know he comes from a lowly lineage in Black Flag.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
By the way, thanks again you folks for the recommendations. AC4 is a heap load of fun and the main character is leaps and bounds more interesting than Arno. You can definitely feel the difference in free running between Black Flag and Unity.

Unity, despite the sometimes awkward moments really improved on both the freerunning and the combat. It's just its halfassed story and dull characters made it meh.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I gave up on Unity when the game did a hilariously cheap and terrible rip-off on the scarecrow sections of Arkham Asylum. That and the billowy glitchy crowds with everchanging models and popping into existence pretty much did me in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Stringbean posted:

Unity, despite the sometimes awkward moments really improved on both the freerunning and the combat.
Ok freerunning yeah but Unity has the worst combat in the serie, it's really attrocious so I don't know what you're talking about here.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Combat in Unity felt like it was trying to emulate the difficulty of combat in the first game but somehow managed to make it even worse. Combat has been terrible in every AC game though, it's just that by Black Flags you had so many options for an "I win" situation that it was never a huge problem. Unity takes all of that away from you.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

Ok freerunning yeah but Unity has the worst combat in the serie, it's really attrocious so I don't know what you're talking about here.

Welp, again I'm new to the series. AC4 has you switching between the wristblades, swords, fists. Though I can see the benefit of both systems, I personally had no beef with Unity's combat system (again because I have no experience with AC outside Unity and BF). It felt fine in my scrub hands, because it handled all your weapons for you. So having to manually switch between guns and smoke bombs was awkward to me at first.

Incidentally I did that "and my sugar?" mission in AC4 with only my fists because I'm dumb.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stringbean posted:

Welp, again I'm new to the series. AC4 has you switching between the wristblades, swords, fists. Though I can see the benefit of both systems, I personally had no beef with Unity's combat system (again because I have no experience with AC outside Unity and BF). It felt fine in my scrub hands, because it handled all your weapons for you. So having to manually switch between guns and smoke bombs was awkward to me at first.

Incidentally I did that "and my sugar?" mission in AC4 with only my fists because I'm dumb.

Black Flag actually stripped out a lot of combat stuff as well. Pre AC4, you could also equip a dagger and weapons that weren't swords. Unity brought the latter aspect back.

Technically there are still heavy weapons in AC4, but you need to kill a guy to temporarilly use it.

Unity's biggest sin/radical departure with combat is getting rid of the counter kill and kill streak mechanics which really trivialized combat.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I feel like the combat's really love/hate. I personally like how it made you approach things with actual care instead of 'heh, I'll own all these scrubs with my infinite counterkill invincibility :smug:'

The lack of being able to use the hidden blades in combat is bullshit though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The thing is I like that they made combat more difficult, and I agree with the devs when they said that they see Assassin's Creed as a stealth game and that combat is a fail state.
It should be hard to encourage players not to engage in it except as last resort.

The problem is that the stealth system in Unity is utter dogshit. The cover mechanics rarely, if ever, work correctly in my experience and taking out distraction options like whistling is a major step back. If they're going to overhaul combat to make it more difficult then the stealth stuff needs to actually be a viable option that's fun to play.

The smoke bombs are also such a clear "I win" button in Unity as well. I feel like the devs must've realized how screwed up they made it and deliberately made the smoke bombs so powerful to cover for their slipshod design.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 25, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

macnbc posted:

The smoke bombs are also such a clear "I win" button in Unity as well. I feel like the devs must've realized how screwed up they made it and deliberately made the smoke bombs so powerful to cover for their slipshod design.

No, they're about as broken as they are in every other AC.

Just about every "take no damage" during a fight challenge from Brotherhood onwards can be easily spammed with smoke bombs.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Big problem is also that it feels incredibly satisfying in AC1-4 to take down a myriad of enemies trying to ambush you. In those games, I felt that if I died, it was my own fault. Unity makes it much harder to defend against enemies due to the camera and inability to see certain wind-ups for attacks. Then there's the lack of Human Shield, making guns brokenly good in the hands of enemies.

I hate the new combat system.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's almost as if different developers worked on different parts of the game at the same time they were working on different parts of Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 and they major communication issues between development teams that some things were a gigantic downgrade from the things 3 and 4 did well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Basically I just want Black Flag's system back. Can't wait for Rogue on PC, seriously.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I actually liked the combat in AC3 the best, if mainly for the animations and superior selection of weapons. Too bad everything else in that game sucked.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's almost as if different developers worked on different parts of the game at the same time they were working on different parts of Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 and they major communication issues between development teams that some things were a gigantic downgrade from the things 3 and 4 did well.

Eh. Its more of a case of changing a lot of core mechanics at once rather than communications breakdown. Unity is honestly a tighter package than 3.

As rough as Unity is in certain places, I'm not really left shaking my head on why I'm playing a tower defense game, lawn bowling, or playing frontier tabletop simulator.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Earwicker posted:

I actually liked the combat in AC3 the best, if mainly for the animations and superior selection of weapons. Too bad everything else in that game sucked.

Plunging a dude's fixed-bayonet musket back into his own chest was satisfying every time.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, going hand-to-hand against an armed person, disarming them of their spear or what-have-you, and plunging that poo poo right back into them is incredibly satisfying.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, going hand-to-hand against an armed person, disarming them of their spear or what-have-you, and plunging that poo poo right back into them is incredibly satisfying.
I'm fairly sure you could do that pre-AC3

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ubisoft please steal Arkham combat no one will be mad at you

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ubisoft, please stop making games and just sell the rights of your franchises to someone more capable. Everyone will understand and be happier for it.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

hiddenriverninja posted:

While they're at it, they should wholesale steal their stealth system from Hitman Blood Money too. It's pretty clear that they were influenced by it in their larger-scale missions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Earwicker posted:

This. the combat made you feel like a badass. Honestly. when will AC bite the bullet and make the combat like arkham and shadow of mordor. You can be a "stealth" game and still have fun combat.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Earwicker posted:

It really bummed me out that Black Flag locked you into swords only. Pirates had axes and hatchets too! :colbert:

Lemme chop fuckers up with a hand axe and a knife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

They tried to with AC3 onwards. The project head for AC3 even said he was trying to do Arkham combat. They just weren't as good at it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

They tried to with AC3 onwards. The project head for AC3 even said he was trying to do Arkham combat. They just weren't as good at it.

I can see that. You almost get an arkham feel in unity, but it feels weird. Your block does jack poo poo against most dudes and they crowed so fast its hard to roll.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

It really bummed me out that Black Flag locked you into swords only. Pirates had axes and hatchets too! :colbert:

Lemme chop fuckers up with a hand axe and a knife.

You could at least pick up muskets and axes and poo poo to use. Unity doesn't even let you do that.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm fairly sure you could do that pre-AC3

Oh, I wasn't saying you couldn't. I'm just saying, you can't with Unity. :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The thing that I really do like in Unity is that you can fight with a spear. Badass. Too bad they hosed up the blunderbass because why let people kill 5 dudes with one shot when you can force them into a 5 minute repetitive combat scene?

Actually it's kinda interesting that we have two rear end Creed games released at the same time where one is on a new graphical engine but goes back like 3 games when it comes to the development of game mechanics while the other game is already graphically dated but features the most polished version of the series' game mechanics.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So what's the issue with Unity? I play for like 5 minutes and I get a CTD. I don't have heat issues or GPU issues it just crashes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's the issue with Unity?

You might want to pull up a chair.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's the issue with Unity?
It's a Uplay game. But seriously, they somehow always gently caress their games in a way that no single solution solves the same problem for everybody. Visitting their support forums is like watching a Monty Python sketch.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's a good chance it's crashing because of Uplay. Or because the download got corrupted because Uplay is a piece of poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's the issue with Unity? I play for like 5 minutes and I get a CTD. I don't have heat issues or GPU issues it just crashes.

Sounds like a memory leak. Any other observable problems? What happens if you idle for those five minutes?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Discendo Vox posted:

Sounds like a memory leak. Any other observable problems? What happens if you idle for those five minutes?

Sometimes it isn't even 5 minutes, I've been on the first part fighting the assassin and it just crashes. My computer isn't complaining about low memory either, FPS isn't stuttering either, I could probably just reinstall it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I am super loving tired of redoing that sequence 9 assassination. Mostly because of that loving annoying mechanic where it doesn't count until you use the hidden blade. So if there are any enemies around you can't do it.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
I sent an application to GBG0 as NSASpyMachine. Just started playing so I have jackshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hey, did they fix that bug I read about in Liberation HD where if you don't pick up a particular collectible during your first run through a certain sequence you have to replay the whole game to achieve 100% sync? I want to start playing it but I'd sooner put it off forever than break my 100% sync streak, because of my mental illness that I have.

• Locked thread