Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I'm down to 3 challenges. The Rambulance and Distance in Vehicle ones will go together pretty nicely, but I have no idea where to find more Legionnaires, they seem to be the rarest spawn. Do you get Legionnaires at level 5 notoriety if you're in places where tanks can't spawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zaa Boogie posted:

drat, I really want the planet colonization/fight as a real game now.

So I know people have said that it's pretty short even while doing all the story bits but I've put about 10 hours into this thing. I don't *remember* leaving my system on so I've apparently done that legitly! Pretty dang good for 20 bucks.

Right now I'm finishing up the challenges since I've done all the activities and collected all the soul clusters and audio books.

Yeah, I put around 9 hours as well (though some of that was re-doing content in coop) and now I only have a few collectables and challenges left to 100%, pretty good content for the price I paid, all things told.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Venusy posted:

I'm down to 3 challenges. The Rambulance and Distance in Vehicle ones will go together pretty nicely, but I have no idea where to find more Legionnaires, they seem to be the rarest spawn. Do you get Legionnaires at level 5 notoriety if you're in places where tanks can't spawn?

Dex tends to show up with Legionaires after killing him 5 or 6 times. (Once you do it 7, it resets itself and you need to kill him 5 or 6 more times)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Doc Morbid posted:

If your blast power is upgraded enough, you can pretty much cheese him by spamming stone blast. By the time he recovers from each blast, the power has recharged and you can repeat the process. It gets a bit trickier when he starts summoning dudes and doing that smoke thing, but it's still not too bad. Having a fully upgraded rocket launcher helps as well, especially when he's turned to stone and takes more damage. :getin:

My method for this battle was to use the soul last and Arc of the Covenant. Suck up all the little bad guys that spawn and shoot when he's open. The fully upgraded soul blast also takes care of the smoke clouds that he spawns.

I'm not sure that I even took damage in that battle.

My favorite thing about the game is easily the flying. I never got into a car after the first bit, running was meh, but flying is AMAZING! I would have loved a mechanic that gave you thermals when flying over lava.

And Kinzie seems SO happy when you flap your wings!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Coldfire Satan then use whatever you want on him. Overkill gun can take him to whatever his first scripted health thing is in one round of this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Malek posted:

Fully upgraded rocket launcher with instant reloads and infinite ammo fixes this.

I flattened him with the fully upgraded Gallows Dodger (and the Diamond Sting). Nothing gets past the Gallows Dodger when you go straight into Overkill mode.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Venusy posted:

I didn't notice it having anything to do with location, but they are at least one of the possible spawns at level 5 notoriety. For that challenge, I'd get my notoriety up and then just fly around a bunch (so I don't spawn an archduke and have to reset it) until I heard one of their voice cues.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Gallows dodger and then vacuum stomp when he summons. The fight was a breeze on hard, especially the fifth time through.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, I've got it now. Think my problem before was that I'd usually ignore the voice cue and just kill the tank, which would usually then make the legionnaire vanish with the Arch-Duke spawn.

And yeah, Gallows Dodger + fully upgraded Vacuum/Holy Stomp is the way to go for Satan. It also helps with the Plague of Gat achievement.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Venusy posted:

Yeah, I've got it now. Think my problem before was that I'd usually ignore the voice cue and just kill the tank, which would usually then make the legionnaire vanish with the Arch-Duke spawn.

And yeah, Gallows Dodger + fully upgraded Vacuum/Holy Stomp is the way to go for Satan. It also helps with the Plague of Gat achievement.

I did the fully upgraded rocket launcher deal somebody else said. One rocket can take him to the next phase.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So what's the best way to make money? I just hit level 20 and have all these wonderful "unlimited ammo" unlocks but I only have about 30k cache. Just random activities?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
If I've got one real complaint, it's that the un-upgraded basic weapons are kinda terrible. Archdukes are challenging when you're plinking away with a stock brimstone belcher, but trivial when you can kill them with 3 waves of exploding imps.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is the actual Saints Row 4 version bugged? I downloaded and installed it, did the intro mission but it kicked me out saying the game isn't fully installed yet. Tried closing it and opening it again from the game is installed notification but nothing. What gives?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Medullah posted:

So what's the best way to make money? I just hit level 20 and have all these wonderful "unlimited ammo" unlocks but I only have about 30k cache. Just random activities?

Don't forget to use Greed when fighting.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Megazver posted:

Don't forget to use Greed when fighting.

Diamond Sting and Vacuum Stomp will start an everlasting loop of money-making. Chew through everything with Diamond Sting, stomp to get all the Wages, repeat.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So is the actual Saints Row 4 version bugged? I downloaded and installed it, did the intro mission but it kicked me out saying the game isn't fully installed yet. Tried closing it and opening it again from the game is installed notification but nothing. What gives?

Is this on PS$? If so, check the information with the option button and see if it's actually downloaded in full. Sometimes a game will act stupid if it's not. I know it happened for me on Shadow of Mordor.

Sony's plan to let you play a game before it was fully downloaded was nice in theory but pretty lacking in execution.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Is this on PS$? If so, check the information with the option button and see if it's actually downloaded in full. Sometimes a game will act stupid if it's not. I know it happened for me on Shadow of Mordor.

Sony's plan to let you play a game before it was fully downloaded was nice in theory but pretty lacking in execution.

In complete fairness to the devs, it's up to them to find a way to make that system work, Sony just offered the framework. That being said, I can't blame them for not spending too much time on it, especially if it's a game that has to be ported to half a dozen other systems that don't have that same option.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

In complete fairness to the devs, it's up to them to find a way to make that system work, Sony just offered the framework. That being said, I can't blame them for not spending too much time on it, especially if it's a game that has to be ported to half a dozen other systems that don't have that same option.

Oh, I realize that. But who really knows if the framework doesn't have their own issues.

Back to this game tho: I've found that if you get Genki to show up for the max alert you can *really* make some of the challenges go a lot faster if you have some dark inciters around. Genki's bound ot the same Ark of the Covenant rules you are so he can't suck them up like he can other enemies. So if you leave Genki alone you can get a whole bunch of kills you might need.

Also: Besides somebody mentioning that Dex will get Legionnaires around the 5th or 6th(X) time you kill him if you stay on alert five long enough they'll also show up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Doc Morbid posted:

Dude. It's Hulk Hogan. Have you seen him try to act?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLQDpdQi4A

edit: although to be fair, his turn as Angel in SR3 isn't hilariously bad like this, it's just boring

I still have nightmares about his mid-90s TV show

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MisterBibs posted:

Obvious question that I'm sorry if it's been asked: started playing SR with 3 and felt 4 did nothing to make me interested in Gat at all. Is Gat Out Of Hell worth it if you are :geno: at best on Gat?
You should play SR2. Gat is a holdover from the old days, and if you haven't played any of the old games, you're not really going to appreciate him. I started with SR4, then went back and played the others, and while the hero worship in SR4 was a little over the top, it helps to have that background with Gat/Shaundi/Pierce to really understand who they're supposed to be.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

tribbledirigible posted:

My friend pointed that it's a shame you can't recruit low level homies and restore them complete with wings. Then there would have been a chance this could have been recreated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIVpMXHqlk&t=134s

drat, now you're making me want to look up that 2007(ish?) Scifi Flash Gordon reboot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yup. 5.5 gigs out of 12 downloaded so it's probably that. When did games get so huge.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Honestly SR1 is the only one I haven't played through (started it on a friend's box but never finished it), and yet somehow I didn't feel like I was missing much in terms of story when I started SR2.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Still can't get it to launch. Re-downloaded twice (and I'm on DSL so it took me the better part of this week for the downloads :suicide:) and everything. D'oh.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You should play SR2. Gat is a holdover from the old days, and if you haven't played any of the old games, you're not really going to appreciate him. I started with SR4, then went back and played the others, and while the hero worship in SR4 was a little over the top, it helps to have that background with Gat/Shaundi/Pierce to really understand who they're supposed to be.

Gat really only makes full sense if you played both 1 AND 2 well before 3/4.

Like his skills aren't the reason he's so "worshiped". It's the fact he's always goddamn been there. He was the only Saint lieutenant in 1 that treated you like an equal ( which is saying something in 1 as well ), and your go to guy when everything exploded in the end of 1/start of 2. His personality changed from "the psycho warrior" to "best buddy" when the Boss picked up that title, and he's kind of stuck with it over the course of 4/Gat out of Hell.

I get the feeling a lot of people that think he's overhyped started with 2/3, in which case yeah. He was neat in 2 and all, but he was just a psycho killer there. The "best buddies" arc only really makes sense if you started with 1 and have had him in these games for awhile now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You can very easily look up full cut scenes for the first two games on youtube if you'd like to make things make a lot more sense.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've always wanted to look up the cutscenes for previous Saints Row games but unless it's my character that I made, I can't find myself giving a gently caress.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Or watch full playthroughs on lparchive.org

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I have no idea what the logistics of it would be, legal or otherwise, but god drat do I want the wings in SR4. Especially with the costume options.

Wings and a flappy bathrobe. :haw:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to hijack occupied demon-tanks?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to hijack occupied demon-tanks?

Gotta kill the gunner first, then you can hit the hijack button and evict the driver.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Gotta kill the gunner first, then you can hit the hijack button and evict the driver.

Speed-hijacking is really difficult, because if I hit Shift for quick-hijacking I super-run and knock the vehicle over.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Speed-hijacking is really difficult, because if I hit Shift for quick-hijacking I super-run and knock the vehicle over.

This actually seems to be improved from SRIV. I could never get that to work with super speed, but have no problem in Gat Outta Hell.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HPanda posted:

This actually seems to be improved from SRIV. I could never get that to work with super speed, but have no problem in Gat Outta Hell.

It felt like the range on the "poo poo gets knocked around" aspect of super speed was reduced in GooH, so that might be part of it. In SR4 there was a very small window between being close enough to quick hijack a car and being close enough to send it flying away from you.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

tribbledirigible posted:

Between legionnaires and archdukes tanks have a very short lifespan.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Man, Asha's loyalty mission is tough to replay. They give you a generic boss face and take away all your interesting clothes, guns and powers. Especially disappointed that Evil Boss just uses the generic model. If they just slapped evil facial hair on whatever model you were using it'd be a thousand times more fun.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Or watch full playthroughs on lparchive.org
This. Do this. Especially Saint's Row 2 by Kaubocks & Panzer Skank.

EDIT: and by "loyalty mission" I mean "rescue mission". Oops.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 26, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Young Freud posted:

Diamond Sting and Vacuum Stomp will start an everlasting loop of money-making. Chew through everything with Diamond Sting, stomp to get all the Wages, repeat.

Yeah, I assumed you got the different powers during the game, didn't realize you had to go to altars. Once I found the vacuum stomp one + diamond sting, money stopped being an issue.

Now, clusters...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Put some music on and just spend a couple hours flying around picking up the clusters. It's weirdly relaxing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can't you just buy clusters with wages in the upgrade menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You can, but you need both every cluster in the sky and every cluster in the upgrade menu to max out your halo powers.

• Locked thread