Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroi posted:

The gold guy on the left looks like Grifforzer got another resurrection.
Getting a Dokoku vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cliff Racer posted:

Only when the plot requires it to. By midway through the series they'd thankfully stopped doing it for the most part.

edit: And my collectables post was actually directed about having lower hopes for Ninninger than it was for TQGer where I already know I am getting a subpar series even if its worst aspects got minimized around episode 29 or so.

From what I can understand, Re; Collectables, The '48 Magic Sealing Shuriken' are actually what the bad guy uses to make his monsters, not collectables.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I also don't think collectable are going to completely go away anytime soon, because they make loving cash money bank in toy sales.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the collectables in Sentai have been fairly well integrated in recent years. The Ranger Keys were probably the worst, but they get a pass for being an Anniversary season and just a drat cool collectable in general. Zyudenchi were alright; I wish the Kyroryugers had remembered all the wacky powers they could use more often, but I never really felt like the show was going out of its way to sell me batteries. The Ressha were a bit intrusive in the first half of ToQger, but once they assembled the whole fleet, it's actually felt pretty natural to me. They call on the ones that make sense, and don't awkwardly shoehorn in too many of them.

Now in the realm of actual physical toys, I'm not too fond of the Sentai team Zyudenchi or Ressha, but since those are toy-line-only with the teamup films being the only ones to bring them in, I'm not actually offended by their existence.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I feel like the collectables in Sentai have been fairly well integrated in recent years. The Ranger Keys were probably the worst,
The Ranger Keys were a brilliant idea and unless you have an alternative that 1. Maintains a thematic connection to pirates and 2. Makes up the difference for the cost of having the team's primary gimmick be advertising toys that aren't made anymore, there's nothing that can make me think they're worse than trading cards for Angels or batteries for a Dinosaur Samba Revolver.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 25, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I actually did not notice that Ninninger is technically the 40th anniversary of Sentai. It's the 39th series, so the big celebration probably won't be til next year.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Ranger Keys were a brilliant idea and unless you have an alternative that 1. Maintains a thematic connection to pirates and 2. Makes up the difference for the cost of having the team's primary gimmick be advertising toys that aren't made anymore, there's nothing that can make me think they're worse than trading cards for Angels or batteries for a Dinosaur Samba Revolver.

I never watched Goseiger, so I didn't have any opinions there. But yeah, despite being the "worst", I really liked the Ranger Keys.

Speaking of keys...has there been any word of a ToQger set?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Gosei cards were by far the worst but I'd put the batteries as second worst followed by the trains. I like ranger keys well enough, probably because they actually started out with almost all of them so Gokaiger didn't have quite as much "this is an amazing new thing that YOU should go out and buy" going on as is typical. I don't really count engine cells as collectables since they were more or less actual characters on the show. Oh, and then there were the Shinkenger discs which I also don't really count because they never "stole the show" in a way that something like the batteries did.

I blame Kamen Rider's success with selling garbage for this trend and am pretty annoyed by it. I'm fine with KR sitting in its own lovely corner but I'd rather it stop infesting sentai with its bullshit.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 25, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Did the batteries ever really have that problem? I seem to remember the rangers just kinda having them all and would trot them out once in a while for a thematic attack.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

I never watched Goseiger, so I didn't have any opinions there. But yeah, despite being the "worst", I really liked the Ranger Keys.

Speaking of keys...has there been any word of a ToQger set?

Nothing yet that I've seen. I have a feeling that if they decide to do more now, it'll be in another year or so, like they did with the later set of Gaia Memories for W. It's probably not worth them doing a run of, what, 6 keys (and possible sound devices like the Kyoryuger keys had), but I could see them doing a combined ToQ/Nininger set next year. Just as long as they don't suddenly come up with some 160 other keys to go with them that ends up costing $500 for the set like the aforementioned Gaia Memories.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cliff Racer posted:

I blame Kamen Rider's success with selling garbage for this trend and am pretty annoyed by it. I'm fine with KR sitting in its own lovely corner but I'd rather it stop infesting sentai with its bullshit.
We get it, dude, you hate Kamen Rider collectables.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

While not very thematic for a pirate season on it's own I love the ranger keys. They looked cool, they integrated into the plot in a decent way and weren't too intrusive because they started out with a lot of them.
The Gokaiger suit and morpher are probably one of my favorites overall though, they are just cool/
I doubt I'll ever get any Sentai/PR merchandise nowadays but If I got any, it would be a gokaiger morpher (That said, gently caress getting all the keys. :v: )

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Did the batteries ever really have that problem? I seem to remember the rangers just kinda having them all and would trot them out once in a while for a thematic attack.

They had to do the typical thing of either finding them (or the dinosaur they synced up with) or figuring out how to activate them. They just about got all of them by the halfway point, after which the fart dinosaur etc were never heard from again.

Poison Mushroom posted:

We get it, dude, you hate Kamen Rider collectables.

Here's some other things I hate because like Kamen Rider collectables they just make everything worse than it otherwise would have been: Bad smells in the bathroom, accidentally dropping food on the floor, skinning my knee, traffic jams, catching the flu, long checkout lines.

I'm sorry that you seem to have developed an enjoyment of the televised equivalent to bad bathroom smells but thats okay, you have a show for that which I have chosen not to watch. Unfortunately your toilet show has gotten potent enough that its making other related shows, which I do watch, smell like a bad bathroom as well.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 26, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, extreme toyism was an element of Sentai before it was Kamen Rider. I mean both have always been pretty shamelessly toyetic but 'collect 'em all" stuff was around in the 90s-era shows and before.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Before it became stuff you tacked onto the transformation thing, we also had a goddamn era where "Pile on as much poo poo onto the robot with needless equipment" was the Sentai go to. Limb Swapping ahoy. Hell, it still is, but now you've gotta get two things.

It's more obvious now because you can buy a lot of things separate, but if this isn't "Collect them all", well...

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah Gaoranger/Wildforce was crazy full of collectibles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cernunnos posted:

Yeah Gaoranger/Wildforce was crazy full of collectibles.

I used to visit a website that was full of every single Gaoranger mecha combination (made via the toys), with "official" names for each one and there was something stupid like 159 different combos or something.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

jivjov posted:

I used to visit a website that was full of every single Gaoranger mecha combination (made via the toys), with "official" names for each one and there was something stupid like 159 different combos or something.

It doesn't help they actually did plan for some hundred animals. Side material depicted at least two more "core" pieces with their own limbs. Though obviously they go with "here have a hundred colored orbs shoot the bad guy" end.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Yosuke posted:

It doesn't help they actually did plan for some hundred animals. Side material depicted at least two more "core" pieces with their own limbs. Though obviously they go with "here have a hundred colored orbs shoot the bad guy" end.

One of those was like the Peacock, right?

Do the toys actually combine how they do in the show or are some of them unable to be combined

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think the toys were even more combinable than the show would have you believe.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Stallion Cabana posted:

One of those was like the Peacock, right?

Do the toys actually combine how they do in the show or are some of them unable to be combined

Yeah, the one that showed up on screen was a Peacock, but there was an artbook or somesuch that listed some other animals they fleshed out like a Turtle that combined with a bunch of aquatic things and the like.

And yes, all the DX toys could combine with each other, with the exception of Hunter and other legs (because Gator formed a torso and legs as a whole). Naturally you cannot combine Lion, Falcon and Gorilla since they formed the torso/head.

Really though, the only thing Kamen Rider did is prove that you can make even more money by cashing in on stuff from the season before at the same time, because:

This looks right at home with what we have now, just add the "Oh hey this is from last season" tool and you're done.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 26, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The highlight of Gaoranger/Wild Force was the episode where the monster of the week could control the Zords, and made the rangers fight giant robot with giant robot, with wrestling commentary from the bad guys to boot. It was loving awesome and I'm shocked it didn't happen more often in the era of limb swapping.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Toqger is a lot more fun than I expected. I'm really enjoying it and will be sad to see it go. However, nininger looks entertaining too.

I'm really kinda sad that Drive isn't doing better, I'm enjoying the ride a lot.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm loving Drove so far. The Spider-man level quipping during fights is great. Mach being super showy is great.

Like how last episode Mach rolls into the office and shows off pictures of himself. That was beautiful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, this week's Drive was really depressing. I did not see Lila killing Hiroki coming at all and how it happened is just heart-breaking. And then there's Chase, who seems to be entirely under Medic's control. The one light of hope is Kiriko refusing to give up on Chase, because otherwise holy poo poo this episode was sad as hell.

On less sad moments, the Rider Double Kick was great, and so was Mach using Max Flare (who is the village's bike car at this point, everyone gets an use out of the poor thing). Next episode's Type Deadheat (or half of it, anyways, Deadheat Mach is not shown in the preview), so that should be cool, since Shinnosuke seems to not have control over it.

It's not a joke that I'm loving Drive more and more every week. Or that my opinion on Gou keeps fluctuating, I disliked him in his first appearance, liked him in his second, and now I'm back to disliking him. Hopefully I'll go back to liking him again once his "GRAAAH HATE EVERY ROIDMUDE YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR DOING OTHERWISE gently caress YOU" attitude stops. Jesus gently caress, we get it, monsters are evil, chill.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Gou is in such a weird place to me.

My original assessment as a cocky rear end in a top hat who I really disliked and wished he would be taken down a bit kind of faltered because by his second episode he was working with Shinnosuke without any issues. The fact he did that softened me up to him, and I was like 'he's not so bad'. He's definitely got issues but it seems my original observation of him was a little incorrect, he's not taunting people or acting like he's superior to everyone anymore, at least mostly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
GoBusters didn't have collectible macguffins, and is also the best sentai. Coincidence?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Missed a big opportunity by not having collectable sunglasses to throw away.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Missed a big opportunity by not having collectable sunglasses to throw away.

I'm sad that "Count Za Glasses" site didn't keep up a final tally. They stopped doing it as much after a while, but it was great while it lasted.

poo poo, now I miss GoBusters. That was a drat good series.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes, Kamen Rider's relatively recent uptick in toyeticism is the real root of Super Sentai's toy problems. Both franchises' collection obsessions are most certainly not part of Toei's decade-long arms race with Pokemon and other, newer toy+anime collectable franchises for the wallets of young childrens' parents all over Japan.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

the real answer is to destroy Yokai Watch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

They had to do the typical thing of either finding them (or the dinosaur they synced up with) or figuring out how to activate them. They just about got all of them by the halfway point, after which the fart dinosaur etc were never heard from again.

Here's some other things I hate because like Kamen Rider collectables they just make everything worse than it otherwise would have been: Bad smells in the bathroom, accidentally dropping food on the floor, skinning my knee, traffic jams, catching the flu, long checkout lines.

I'm sorry that you seem to have developed an enjoyment of the televised equivalent to bad bathroom smells but thats okay, you have a show for that which I have chosen not to watch. Unfortunately your toilet show has gotten potent enough that its making other related shows, which I do watch, smell like a bad bathroom as well.

Dude when I think you're being overly hostile and weird it's probably a bad sign.

Seriously what is your issue though

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Literally The Worst posted:

Dude when I think you're being overly hostile and weird it's probably a bad sign.

THERE ARE TOO MANY TOYS IN MY TOY COMMERCIALS! :argh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LtW you and Cliff Racers should swap names. Easier to keep track then.

Dr Tran posted:

THERE ARE TOO MANY TOYS IN MY TOY COMMERCIALS! :argh:

Also :laffo: at the idea that Kamen Rider is to blame for Sentai being so "collect them all" w/r/t toys. Holy poo poo man how many 90's sentai had powers/gimmicks for the robots that were used all of maybe once?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kamen Rider W, with its grand total of 8 (9 counting Accel) Gaia Memories to collect, is the reason Gokaiger had a loving metric tonne of keys, curse you Kamen Rider.

Really I just don't get how someone can hate on cyborg karate bugmen kicking poo poo so hard it explodes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kamen Rider W, with its grand total of 8 (9 counting Accel) Gaia Memories to collect, is the reason Gokaiger had a loving metric tonne of keys, curse you Kamen Rider.

Really I just don't get how someone can hate on cyborg karate bugmen kicking poo poo so hard it explodes.
It's actually Decade's fault for introducing trading cards.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fish gotta swim

Birds gotta fly

Decade gotta get blamed for something

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flameingblack posted:

It's actually Decade's fault for introducing trading cards.

Didn't Goseiger start before Decade? Or around the same time?

edit Huh. Off by a year.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
people gettin' mad about toy commercials itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Ryuki introduce the card gimmick to Kamen Rider?

Basically I think there's a good argument that toys should not dictate how the show works and how it goes, but not expecting any toys or less toys is absurd.

I much prefer stuff like Kuuga, where the toys, IE the new forms, were a natural part of the plot and narrative.

However there is another extreme of toys that is utter poo poo and no one would disagree - the Megaforce solution of NEW TOY EVERY OTHER EPISODE FOR NO REASON

• Locked thread