Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RusteJuxx posted:

Has anyone tried out the Kingston Digital HyperX FURY drives? I know the standard Kingston HyperX 3K models were an acceptable, though not preferred, model in the last thread and I've had a few years of solid luck with them. However, my new job is far less flexible about spending, so can't buy a bunch and see what happens. I just need them for some classroom computers, so there will be lightweight usage for web browsing and PowerPoint presentations.

This article indicates it uses the same memory as the Crucial M500, but the problems were with the firmware on the Crucial's, right?
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-kingston-hyperx-fury-240gb-sounds-furious-only-name

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW3MTBS/
Fair bit cheaper than other 120 drives and I really only need 40-50GB of space.

Price is only $2 from the crucial mx100 or new bx100, or the Sandisk Ultra 2. I can't see a reason to buy Kingston SSDs at all.

What problem was there with M500s? Never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

People don't trust Crucial after taking a year to fix a "drive falls off the controller/fouls up POST" issue and lying about data protection in their drives.

Crucial hasn't done anything to rebuild that trust - not that they can, given the people in the build thread (or maybe they can, just not with us, since people on review sites are willing to let OCZ's past behavior go now that it's Toshiba and most buyers aren't SH/SC rigorous), but they don't even act like there's any lost trust they need to rebuild.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 24, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crucial has bottom of the barrel performance (still far ahead of platter drives) but they can be had for so cheap... Have t had any fail and I've got about ten for work and home use

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Meanwhile, I had a Crucial C300 and an Intel 320 fail. Let's compare what happened with customer service on each:

Intel 320: "Hey, my drive suddenly stopped working. It went into 8 MB failure mode." "Okay, send it back and we'll give you a replacement." "Okay cool." Within the week, a new 320 arrives.

Crucial C300: "Hey, my drive is locking up, causing BSODs, and doing weird things to my system. This is after applying the firmware fix you provided for the race condition lockup (eventually, a year after the problem was identified)." "Check to see if TRIM is enabled." "It's working. Here's fsutil showing TRIM is enabled." "Check to see if TRIM is enabled." "It's working, here's TRIMcheck verifying that TRIM is running." "Check to see if TRIM is enabled." "<:rant: for two pages of text telling them how dumb they are being>" "Okay, okay! Here's an M4." Two weeks later, an M4 that doesn't have the latest firmware arrives. You know, the latest firmware that fixes huge BSOD and boot compatibility bugs with the M4.

XFX is on the shitlist just for its bad customer support. Honestly, the Kingston drives with the Toshiba controllers were the only good drives Kingston ever put out. I'd look at Toshiba-operated OCZ before I bought a new Crucial drive, personally.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I miss my 64GB Jmicron Kingston

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Life is too short for shifty hardware

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Factory Factory posted:

Meanwhile, I had a Crucial C300 and an Intel 320 fail. Let's compare what happened with customer service on each:

Intel 320: "Hey, my drive suddenly stopped working. It went into 8 MB failure mode." "Okay, send it back and we'll give you a replacement." "Okay cool." Within the week, a new 320 arrives.

Crucial C300: "Hey, my drive is locking up, causing BSODs, and doing weird things to my system. This is after applying the firmware fix you provided for the race condition lockup (eventually, a year after the problem was identified)." "Check to see if TRIM is enabled." "It's working. Here's fsutil showing TRIM is enabled." "Check to see if TRIM is enabled." "It's working, here's TRIMcheck verifying that TRIM is running." "Check to see if TRIM is enabled." "<:rant: for two pages of text telling them how dumb they are being>" "Okay, okay! Here's an M4." Two weeks later, an M4 that doesn't have the latest firmware arrives. You know, the latest firmware that fixes huge BSOD and boot compatibility bugs with the M4.

XFX is on the shitlist just for its bad customer support. Honestly, the Kingston drives with the Toshiba controllers were the only good drives Kingston ever put out. I'd look at Toshiba-operated OCZ before I bought a new Crucial drive, personally.

I still have an 80gb Kingston, that's I believe just a rebadged Intel x25, Intel everything. So that one is Okay at least.

wooger fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 24, 2015

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Quick question about secure data deletion on SSDs. I know doing wipes of entire drives doesn't work with SSDs because of how they store and handle data, so a 0/1 wipe or 3-pass wipe would be completely pointless, but would a suitable alternative be to manually fill-up a SSD with junk data (for example a bunch of 5GB movie files) and then simply do a fresh install of Windows on top of that?

The reason I ask is because I'm selling an old computer that has an SSD inside it, which I have no use for so removing it and putting it in something else would be pointless. I'm not looking for super intensive data deletion, just the equivalent of a one-pass wipe, and it seemed like manually copying enough data over to fill (or very nearly fill) the SSD would have a similar effect? This is after I'd already deleted everything, that is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Since it kind of bodes on things, for the longest time I was annoyed that I was stuck with 12.x Intel RST drivers on my Z68 board, and tried to find a workaround so I could run newer ones.

I finally found a site that has someone who modifies the newer 13.x drivers for older Intel chipsets: http://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers.html

The downside? You have to install them via the "Have Disk" method, and evidently Windows 8.x doesn't particularly like unsigned drivers. W7x64 also kicks out a big red warning box about it. Once installed, the drivers even wear his 'mark' by saying (added by Fernando). BUT, they seem to be working just fine and benchmark well.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

Organs posted:

Quick question about secure data deletion on SSDs. I know doing wipes of entire drives doesn't work with SSDs because of how they store and handle data, so a 0/1 wipe or 3-pass wipe would be completely pointless, but would a suitable alternative be to manually fill-up a SSD with junk data (for example a bunch of 5GB movie files) and then simply do a fresh install of Windows on top of that?

The reason I ask is because I'm selling an old computer that has an SSD inside it, which I have no use for so removing it and putting it in something else would be pointless. I'm not looking for super intensive data deletion, just the equivalent of a one-pass wipe, and it seemed like manually copying enough data over to fill (or very nearly fill) the SSD would have a similar effect? This is after I'd already deleted everything, that is.

All you need to do is issue a secure erase command to your SSD. This is an ATA standard command that will usually take a minute or so run. It is currently not possible to recover data after a secure erase.

To issue a secure erase you can use a number of free programs. Depending on your SSD the manufacture provides this tool, otherwise use a free utility. I don't use any of them but I'm sure someone here can recommend one.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm wanting to get a 500GB SSD. I've used a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD for the past year as my primary hard drive and 128 is just way too little. I keep 90% of my files on my externals. But I'm always having to clear out space on the SSD. I have Windows 8.1, i7 processor Any suggestions?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

89 posted:

I'm wanting to get a 500GB SSD. I've used a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD for the past year as my primary hard drive and 128 is just way too little. I keep 90% of my files on my externals. But I'm always having to clear out space on the SSD. I have Windows 8.1, i7 processor Any suggestions?
That's a question for the PC Building & Parts Picking Megathread, but you'll want a Samsung 850 Evo.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Glad I checked this thread. Been noticing my 840 EVO was acting up performance-wise.

Got everything sorted out on it 3 months after there was a fix :v:.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Organs posted:

Quick question about secure data deletion on SSDs. (...)

Mr. Ali posted:

All you need to do is issue a secure erase command to your SSD. This is an ATA standard command that will usually take a minute or so run. It is currently not possible to recover data after a secure erase.

To issue a secure erase you can use a number of free programs. Depending on your SSD the manufacture provides this tool, otherwise use a free utility. I don't use any of them but I'm sure someone here can recommend one.

The one thing I'd be careful of here is that a surprising number of older SSDs implement the ATA Secure Erase command poorly, or not at all. Some have been known to do things like claiming to implement it and reporting success when the command is given but not actually erasing anything.

If it's a more recent SSD model and/or one of the major, trusted brands known for solid firmware (Intel, Samsung etc), you should be good.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Josh Lyman posted:

That's a question for the PC Building & Parts Picking Megathread, but you'll want a Samsung 850 Evo.

This is a really expensive option, considering how little difference it will make in usage. Go read the Anandtech guide, or the OP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wooger posted:

This is a really expensive option, considering how little difference it will make in usage. Go read the Anandtech guide, or the OP.
You realize I wrote 850 Evo and not 850 Pro, right? Everything I've read says the 850 Evo is the best value proposition in SSDs in a while, much like the GeForce 970 is for GPUs.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 26, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wooger posted:

In what way is the 850 EVO a really expensive option, making little difference? Samsung and Intel SSDs are pretty much the only SSDs anyone should be buying, and the latter only for people with special needs. Rapid mode on the Samsung makes a huge performance difference. The only reason the OP doesn't say 'Go buy an 850 EVO' is because Alereon appears to have abandoned the thread and it hasn't been updated since September.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wooger posted:

The Crucial SSDs are only marginally cheaper and Crucial is a poo poo company. Get an 840 EVO on sale over a MX100 if you want to save :10bux:.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Josh Lyman posted:

You realize I wrote 850 Evo and not 850 Pro, right? Everything I've read says the 850 Evo is the best value proposition in SSDs in a while, much like the GeForce 970 is for GPUs.

Meh, there's no real world difference in performance for any competent SSD, below the really expensive ones.

This doesn't do any better than the mx100 in benchmarks & costs £30 more in the UK.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wooger posted:

Meh, there's no real world difference in performance for any competent SSD, below the really expensive ones.

This doesn't do any better than the mx100 in benchmarks & costs £30 more in the UK.

Seeing as Samsung SSDs have a far better reputation for reliability, and anecdotes about Crucial's SSD service being shite are easy to find; I'd pay that 30 quid any day, personally. Life's too short for lovely hardware.
But that's fair enough, if people want to save money, OK, but in general, the recommendations follow reliability over absolute price, which in my opinion, is the correct call (not recommending Gigabyte mobos, etc.)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 26, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wooger posted:

You're not taking rapid mode into consideration.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Lord Bude posted:

You're not taking rapid mode into consideration.

Neither are any of the benchmarks on anandtech apparently then.

I run Linux so this is not a factor for me anyway, but rapid is just a ram caching trick that boost certain benchmarks.

Your OS could/should do it regardless, it's just software. In fact, Linux does do very similar stuff already.

It smacks of the kind of benchmark cheating that Samsung are known for with their phones.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ha what? Rapid mode has a definite real world performance advantage.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Uh-oh. "some EVOs are slowing down again"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dissss posted:

Ha what? Rapid mode has a definite real world performance advantage.

Over what?

RAPID mode is a software thing, unrelated to the hardware. If it was magic and worthwhile, everyone would already do it.
Oh wait, RAM caching is built in to Windows & Linux.

Benchmarking tools on windows disable the built-in windows ram caching so to as to usefully benchmark the drive, so the real world behaviour doesn't show up. Windows caching is by default more conservative than rapid (especially for writes), but you can enable the exact same behaviour with 3rd party tools if you like.

On linux, both systemd-readahead and the kernel do a level of storage caching in ram, and are tunable. Any unused ram will be used as a storage cache.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Newegg has 250gig 850 Evos for $120 and 512 MX100s for $180 today (and the next couple days) if you're subscribed to their emails.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wooger posted:

Over what?

RAPID mode is a software thing, unrelated to the hardware. If it was magic and worthwhile, everyone would already do it.
Oh wait, RAM caching is built in to Windows & Linux.

Benchmarking tools on windows disable the built-in windows ram caching so to as to usefully benchmark the drive, so the real world behaviour doesn't show up. Windows caching is by default more conservative than rapid (especially for writes), but you can enable the exact same behaviour with 3rd party tools if you like.

On linux, both systemd-readahead and the kernel do a level of storage caching in ram, and are tunable. Any unused ram will be used as a storage cache.

RAM caching isn't just RAM caching. There's a lot of heuristic assumptions in caching algorithms and you can't just say that they're all equal.

It's like saying "your car can't be faster than mine, they both have gas engines!"

Now, I'm not saying RAPID is actually better or not, I'm just saying you haven't made your case.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Just ordered a 500GB 850 Evo. After reading the OP, I should format to max capacity and leave 20% free rather than formatting to 80% right?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

metallicaeg posted:

Just ordered a 500GB 850 Evo. After reading the OP, I should format to max capacity and leave 20% free rather than formatting to 80% right?

Either way, but yeah I'd partition out the entire capacity and just let TRIM do its thing. Better to have the space partitioned and not need it than need it and not have it available.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

metallicaeg posted:

Only reason to do that is on a system without TRIM, or one that will only use TRIM on special blessed drives (OS X).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cripes. Time to move the 840 EVO from my home PC (which sits unused for months at a time) to my laptop, and put an 850 EVO in it :v:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I wish they would have left the drive powered on a little while and see if it made any attempt at correcting itself after being repowered instead of wiping it and copying everything back immediately.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Winks posted:

I wish they would have left the drive powered on a little while and see if it made any attempt at correcting itself after being repowered instead of wiping it and copying everything back immediately.

I have two patched 120gb 840 EVOs with data sitting on a shelf, might as well use crystaldiskmark on them the next time I plug them in. How long is long enough to be interesting?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

This probably explains why I've been getting hung up on login the same way I was before the patch. Guess I'll never buy a TLC based drive again!

e: Honestly it's not that big of a deal and it's still super fast, but it's still disappointing to hear about this after everyone raved about how reliable these drives were supposed to be.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Hace posted:

This probably explains why I've been getting hung up on login the same way I was before the patch. Guess I'll never buy a TLC based drive again!

e: Honestly it's not that big of a deal and it's still super fast, but it's still disappointing to hear about this after everyone raved about how reliable these drives were supposed to be.

I got a Crucial m4 because everyone said it was really reliable.

We all know what happened after that.

So then I got a Samsung 840 EVO to replace it because everyone said the 840 EVO was really reliable.

And while I won't be replacing the drive for hopefully a long while, I am a little afraid of getting another SSD for any of my other machines because the curse will be sure to strike again.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Hace posted:

I haven't had any additional slowdowns, and its still reliable. If the drives fail outright, or if they had slowed down to a point where anything but synthetic benchmarks noticed, it may be valid. Pre-fix, I really hadn't noticed the slowdown of my months-old install. The benchmarks showed it as being "slow", but it was still a huge improvement over a platter drive, and I hadn't noticed any speed difference. As long as the drive doesn't outright die, or start corrupting data, or literally become slower than a platter drive, I''ll still recommend them. Its really Samsung or intel. Every other brand has legitimate issues with dying drives, faulty firmware, etc.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Between Lightroom doing some wonky poo poo and windows explorer not really being responsive I'm feeling like my 840 EVO is kind of biting the dust.

Should I jump on the 850 Evo, or just spend some extra cash and get the Pro?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Siochain posted:

As long as the drive doesn't outright die, or start corrupting data, or literally become slower than a platter drive, I''ll still recommend them. Its really Samsung or intel. Every other brand has legitimate issues with dying drives, faulty firmware, etc.

Pointing out that the 840 Evo died without warning in Tech Report's torture test. Most other manufacturer drives failed more gracefully.

The zeitgeist of Samsung is strong here, but I'd say if you want reliable you want Intel.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
lmao the read tests on the Samsung Magician are getting perpetually worse on my 840 evo.

I took the plunge and ordered the 850 PRO 256GB. Lets see how this pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KS posted:

Pointing out that the 840 Evo died without warning in Tech Report's torture test. Most other manufacturer drives failed more gracefully.

The zeitgeist of Samsung is strong here, but I'd say if you want reliable you want Intel.

Thought it was a regular 840, not an Evo. Also that was after, what, nearly 1 petabyte of writes? Which is so obscenely far beyond what most people will ever use? Plus it had been re-allocating sectors for ages, so although it suddenly disappeared, it also was dying a long, slow death for a while.

• Locked thread