Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

google released 0-day exploits of OS X, all of them requiring physical access to the machine.

some google guy showed up in the comments on Ars and someone pointed out a bug in chrome, to which he says "oops forgot to assign that ticket to someone"

then there's a big fight about the quality of chrome. i gotta laugh that apple's "don't talk to the press, or for that matter the loving comments section" policy would have served him well here

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/google-drops-three-os-x-0days-on-apple/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

endemic corruption? broadband
access to safe water? broadband
toilets and sanitation? broadband

it's all so simple!

at best schmidt is dangerously naive

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
scroogled again!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

with the talk of google becomin ga virtual network carrier there really should be some antitrust attention

[spoiler]lol the regulatory apparatus is dead[/spoiled]

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

lol

google released 0-day exploits of OS X, all of them requiring physical access to the machine.

some google guy showed up in the comments on Ars and someone pointed out a bug in chrome, to which he says "oops forgot to assign that ticket to someone"

then there's a big fight about the quality of chrome. i gotta laugh that apple's "don't talk to the press, or for that matter the loving comments section" policy would have served him well here

what's up with google releasing zero days for both windows and os x lately, that seems like a dick move

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

with the talk of google becomin ga virtual network carrier there really should be some antitrust attention

[spoiler]lol the regulatory apparatus is dead[/spoiled]

being an mvno seems pretty close to being the opposite of a trust-abusing monopoly tbh

especially on the two worst "major" cell carriers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

what's up with google releasing zero days for both windows and os x lately, that seems like a dick move

especially given android lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

it seems to be some kind of "fix yo' poo poo" project where they discover the bug, report it to Apple/Microsoft/whomever, and then set an automatic full disclosure countdown timer to force a rapid response or something

I don't really get it either

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pseudorandom name posted:

it seems to be some kind of "fix yo' poo poo" project where they discover the bug, report it to Apple/Microsoft/whomever, and then set an automatic full disclosure countdown timer to force a rapid response or something

I don't really get it either

yeah especially because microsoft does the fixed release date thing to make it easier to coordinate updating a billion computers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i dunno, i think it's fair

discover the bug, report it to the developer, give them three months to fix it (you have to admit this is plenty of time to fix it and roll it out in the next patch -- if it's a critical vulnerability they should have it fixed within a week)

after that time, publish it so that other developers can study the method, find similar bugs in their programs, etc

keeping security holes secret doesn't really help anyone except the people trying to abuse them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

discover the bug, report it to the developer, give them three months to fix it (you have to admit this is plenty of time to fix it and roll it out in the next patch -- if it's a critical vulnerability they should have it fixed within a week)

microsoft's scheduled patch that included it was day 92, on the previous update cycle they hadn't tested it fully enough to push out as an update.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok so that sounds like either microsoft failed (if it was a critical vulnerability that shold have been patched immediately) or they correctly evaluated the risk and balanced it with the amount of testing they felt was necessary (if it wasn't)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

ennui? broadband

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

why would you use ios? it's always been bad

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Cold on a Cob posted:

why would you use computers? they've always been bad

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

lol

lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cold on a Cob posted:

why would you use chrome on ios? it's always been bad

it has some of my bookmarks plus safari's private browsing mode was terrible. i haven't actually checked if it's better these days because i was so accustomed to opening chrome

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i loving hate eric schmidt so loving much goddamn

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

after that time, publish it so that other developers can study the method, find similar bugs in their programs, etc

keeping security holes secret doesn't really help anyone except the people trying to abuse them

hi, we're google. we discovered your vulnerability a month before your next scheduled update when all of your poo poo is in lockdown for testing. you should add this fix in. too late? well, after you're done with that you can roll it into a quick update and send it out. yeah, this is a flaw in a central component and will require a full QA cycle of the entire OS, how long can that take? oh another month and it will tie up all of your QA resources to take away from development of your upcoming scheduled releases? and your employees were on vacation for half of last month so they couldn't work on it anyway? we don't care about that, we're google. we think you should release this now. you say a million computer janitors just spent all of last week updating their company's machines and there is no reason for them to do it now when they will be doing it again when the next update hits? that sounds like their problem. we just think you need to fix this thing that we found because we found it and we are Google. you know what, we're just gonna release this zero day with sample code and force you to do it.

yes, we do ship broken poo poo all of the time, why do you ask? we're google.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Management posted:

hi, we're google. we discovered your vulnerability a month before your next scheduled update when all of your poo poo is in lockdown for testing. you should add this fix in. too late? well, after you're done with that you can roll it into a quick update and send it out. yeah, this is a flaw in a central component and will require a full QA cycle of the entire OS, how long can that take? oh another month and it will tie up all of your QA resources to take away from development of your upcoming scheduled releases? and your employees were on vacation for half of last month so they couldn't work on it anyway? we don't care about that, we're google. we think you should release this now. you say a million computer janitors just spent all of last week updating their company's machines and there is no reason for them to do it now when they will be doing it again when the next update hits? that sounds like their problem. we just think you need to fix this thing that we found because we found it and we are Google. you know what, we're just gonna release this zero day with sample code and force you to do it. maybe you should've fired everybody in middle management instead of your entire QA department.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

hi, we're google. we discovered your vulnerability a month before your next scheduled update when all of your poo poo is in lockdown for testing. you should add this fix in. too late? well, after you're done with that you can roll it into a quick update and send it out. yeah, this is a flaw in a central component and will require a full QA cycle of the entire OS, how long can that take? oh another month and it will tie up all of your QA resources to take away from development of your upcoming scheduled releases? and your employees were on vacation for half of last month so they couldn't work on it anyway? we don't care about that, we're google. we think you should release this now. you say a million computer janitors just spent all of last week updating their company's machines and there is no reason for them to do it now when they will be doing it again when the next update hits? that sounds like their problem. we just think you need to fix this thing that we found because we found it and we are Google. you know what, we're just gonna release this zero day with sample code and force you to do it.

google's been notifying them 90 days before their public disclosure deadline

if you can't update a vulnerability in 90 days, maybe you shouldn't make an operating s-

realtalk though: google uses these products at least as much as anybody, finding flaws and having them patched benefits them too, and it's a good way for them to get infosec cred

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Management posted:

we are google, we need things to make us rich

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

PCjr sidecar posted:

ennui? broadband

this but for real

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Management posted:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

hi, we're google. we discovered your vulnerability a month before your next scheduled update when all of your poo poo is in lockdown for testing. you should add this fix in.

Microsoft apologists use a 90-day month calendar, maybe with Windows 10 you can upgrade to a decimal calendar for a nice round 100-day month, because ...

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

MrMoo posted:

Microsoft apologists use a 90-day month calendar, maybe with Windows 10 you can upgrade to a decimal calendar for a nice round 100-day month, because ...

the management as a ms apologist lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The obvious thing to do now is to make it incredibly petty, like next time microsoft finds a google exploit, to release it 30 days afterwards with no warning, sample code, and a working implementation.

that'll learn em good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

The obvious thing to do now is to make it incredibly petty, like next time microsoft finds a google exploit, to release it 30 days afterwards with no warning, sample code, and a working implementation.

that'll learn em good

i unironically hope this happens because it's about fuckin time we had our corporations starting cyber-wars on each other like the prophet gibson (pbuh) has foreseen

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

google's been notifying them 90 days before their public disclosure deadline

if you can't update a vulnerability in 90 days, maybe you shouldn't make an operating s-
tbf google does patch android but carriers and oems dont see the value in ensuring consumers have access to them

Cocoa Crispies posted:

realtalk though: google uses these products at least as much as anybody, finding flaws and having them patched benefits them too, and it's a good way for them to get infosec cred
i thought google stopped using windows after the chinese used it to steal their poo poo?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LastInLine posted:

tbf google does patch android but carriers and oems dont see the value in ensuring consumers have access to them

the dumping of KitKat or whatever updates is pretty much the only passive aggressive way google can bring users to complain upon vendors and carriers continually pushing old garbage versions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MrMoo posted:

the dumping of KitKat or whatever updates is pretty much the only passive aggressive way google can bring users to complain upon vendors and carriers continually pushing old garbage versions.
true

also google is actively working around these issues but if youve got verizon fighting you on one side and samsung on the other they can only do so much. like in lollipop theyve made the webview updatable on the play store so they can push security fixes to it without carrier or oem involvement but ofc that only helps moving forward and through attrition

its def. a reason to avoid the platform but its not googles fault

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Tangra posted:

this but for real

broadband is my ennui

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

its def. a reason to avoid the platform but its not googles fault

google might not be doing it directly but if they cared about providing end users with a good experience they would have limited carriers and vendors ability to gently caress up their POS operating system.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

i thought google stopped using windows after the chinese used it to steal their poo poo?

if Chinese companies steal and support google software they'll be the first

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

google might not be doing it directly but if they cared about providing end users with a good experience they would have limited carriers and vendors ability to gently caress up their POS operating system.
all that would have done was ensure that android was dead on arrival (which could be argued would be a net good). android was only adopted because it was open to oem and carrier fuckery and had that not been the case neither carriers nor oems would have used it. theyd still be making incompatible horribly broken devices with no interoperability at all whereas now theyre making horribly broken devices that are compatible with each other and google gets to siphon the data which is all they cared about anyway

you could argue that consumers would prob. better off without android giving a large insecure platform spanning every smartphone manufacturer save one for malware to target but after carriers were sidelined by apple there is no loving way theyd ever let that happen to them again by anyone

also it should be noted that google doesnt care about the users experience beyond it not being so terrible that it threatens android as a viable commercial option for oems. they care only about access to users data and that depends on oems using android and carriers selling the devices so android gets improvements that help the user but only because it needs to remain viable. considering their competition for not-apple smartphones id say theyre doing far better at supporting android than they really need to from a business perspective

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if Chinese companies steal and support google software they'll be the first

If Chinese companies support any software it will be a first. Ship it and forget it is quite widespread.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LastInLine posted:

considering their competition for not-apple smartphones id say theyre doing far better at supporting android than they really need to from a business perspective

i don't think it's at all clear that google makes money on android

mobile advertising is a farce

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google doesnt make money on android and mobile advertising is a farce

that said its what google is trying and failing to make money doing right or wrong. cremnob was right

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think it's clear by how cagey google is about it that they don't make money on android

compare this mealy-mouthed poo poo about advertising on google and network partner sites: https://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html

to "we make a fuckload of money from these products in these territories: http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q4fy14datasum.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

reminder that the SEC wanted google to disclose their mobile advertising numbers but google said no because they knew it was non-existent and made up a garbage excuse so they could avoid the inevitable comparisons to facebook

http://searchengineland.com/google-tells-sec-reporting-mobile-cpcs-clicks-meaningful-confusing-192215

• Locked thread