Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Coyote showing his usual respect for authority there. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Her hair is becoming more like Coyote as time goes on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes let's bring the girl who might be becoming a god to Coyote, that's a great idea.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
I still think there's something odd going on with Kat other than the Giger-Angel thing; her mother was originally put in Chester House for pity''s sake and yet Kat, raised in the heart of Gunnerkrigg, was extremely sceptical about the very existence of magic "the etheric sciences" until Antimony Fun Time kicked off. To me that's not just ignorance, it sounds more like deliberate sheltering.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Coyote scares the everloving heck out of me. I think it's the fact that he's so unpredictable, and esoteric, but clearly and definitely dangerous. I mean, look at this conversation Annie is having with him. HE IS NOTHING BUT TEETH AND A GRINNING FANGED MAW. And she's booping him on the goddamn nose.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Coyote scares the everloving heck out of me. I think it's the fact that he's so unpredictable, and esoteric, but clearly and definitely dangerous. I mean, look at this conversation Annie is having with him. HE IS NOTHING BUT TEETH AND A GRINNING FANGED MAW. And she's booping him on the goddamn nose.

Yeah, Annie's been warned about how dangerous Coyote and Ysengrin are in the past. I think she's being a bit too trusting!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dammerung posted:

Yeah, Annie's been warned about how dangerous Coyote and Ysengrin are in the past. I think she's being a bit too trusting!

Then again, she hasn't seen how messed up they are, while the Court has basically shown her nothing but distrust, confusion and a deep history of being jerks. So of course she'll trust Coyote more.

It'll be a very rude awakening if/when Coyote's jerkiness comes to light.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

J.A.B.C. posted:

Then again, she hasn't seen how messed up they are, while the Court has basically shown her nothing but distrust, confusion and a deep history of being jerks. So of course she'll trust Coyote more.

The issue is, what exactly could he do jerk-wise? He's so capricious and unpredictable, he's capable of doing anything, but he's not exactly a scheming master plan sort of person. He seems more like the Joker in the sense that he will do whatever pleases him in that moment, regardless of consequences, and if people get hurt, that's probably funnier.

The Court is obviously Up To Something and human beings are naturally inclined to being sinister schemers.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The whole thing with Ysengrin is probably what'll come up. The confidence to bop him on the nose is why he likes Annie, if she was respectful and able to be pushed around it wouldn't work out at all.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The issue is, what exactly could he do jerk-wise? He's so capricious and unpredictable, he's capable of doing anything, but he's not exactly a scheming master plan sort of person. He seems more like the Joker in the sense that he will do whatever pleases him in that moment, regardless of consequences, and if people get hurt, that's probably funnier.

Yeah, his eating of, and destruction therein of Ysengrin's mind in order to prevent his memory of bad things Ysengrin has done does not at all seem sinister and is just another manifestation of his limitless potential to cause harm that makes him a grand character.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'm not sure about that - after all, there was the bind Coyote placed on her hand, as well as Ysengrin trying to kill her that one time. I think she's been acting a lot more favorably toward the forest than she has the Court, which, aside from Jeanne, hasn't really tried to do her physical harm/kill her (yet).

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I think Annie is perfectly aware of how dangerous Coyote and Ysengrin are. She likes Coyote, and cares pretty deeply about Ysengrin.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Annie dislikes the court because they've lied to her and kept some PRETTY IMPORTANT INFO from her. Exhibit A being the consequences of Surma having a kid. The Donlans are good people, and maybe they were waiting till Mr Carver came back to explain, but having Annie find out how she did just made her feel betrayed.

Then there's the whole Jeanne thing, whatever it is the court is siphoning Ether for, there's no denying the court is Up To Something. And because Jeanne is the court secret we know the most about, Annie (and the readers) are inclined to view additional court secrets in the same light.

So while Coyote and Ysengrin are dangerous and unpredictable, Annie trusts them because they are direct. Ysengrin may fly off the handle and try to eat Annie, but she prefers that to smiling and telling her "we know best". Coyote may promise to cut her hand off for saying something, but at least it's a very clear action - consequence relation rather than the enigmatic pressure the court puts on the students.

Annie, of course, has trust issues with people. Like Paz said, the poo poo things at the court are done by particular super schmendriks, not by the court as a whole. And maybe the etheric siphoning is solving world hunger, I dunno. So maybe Annie could get a lot more done if she talked about this poo poo with Jones or Eglamore or something. But we read this comic to see her solve her hidden emotional traumas as well. Or at least I do. So I wait eagerly to see how this turns out. :allears:

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
does jeanne even count as a court secret anymore though? during the flashback in skywatcher the guy who ordered the archer to shoot said to bury everything. the current court may not even know what's going on down there, just that there's something that spells violent death for anyone who goes down there.

everything else you said strikes me as pretty spot on.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

amishjosh posted:

does jeanne even count as a court secret anymore though? during the flashback in skywatcher the guy who ordered the archer to shoot said to bury everything. the current court may not even know what's going on down there, just that there's something that spells violent death for anyone who goes down there.

everything else you said strikes me as pretty spot on.

They might, they might not. Two kids figured it out, they might have as well. The court is very mysterious

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does the court even know about the secret robot society?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M.c.P posted:

Annie dislikes the court because they've lied to her and kept some PRETTY IMPORTANT INFO from her. Exhibit A being the consequences of Surma having a kid. The Donlans are good people, and maybe they were waiting till Mr Carver came back to explain, but having Annie find out how she did just made her feel betrayed.

Then there's the whole Jeanne thing, whatever it is the court is siphoning Ether for, there's no denying the court is Up To Something. And because Jeanne is the court secret we know the most about, Annie (and the readers) are inclined to view additional court secrets in the same light.

So while Coyote and Ysengrin are dangerous and unpredictable, Annie trusts them because they are direct. Ysengrin may fly off the handle and try to eat Annie, but she prefers that to smiling and telling her "we know best". Coyote may promise to cut her hand off for saying something, but at least it's a very clear action - consequence relation rather than the enigmatic pressure the court puts on the students.

This is ironic because coyote is also clearly keeping stuff from her although she doesn't know it yet (like stealing Ysengrin's memories). I'm not saying he's worse than the court, just bad in a different way with his own schemes and agenda. I get the feeling Annie thinks she understands him more then she actually does.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
At least Coyote follows his nature, being a trickster and a capricious God that cares only about his own amusement, while the court is still mysterious and secretive, impossible to read. It's a lot easier to excuse the playful Coyote than the faceless court.

Add to that the fact that Annie is still a teenager, and while Coyote plays with her like an equal and respects her, the court treats her like an annoying child and tries to control her, which as we all know is totally fine for a teenager. Coyote is the Bad Boy.

Ysengrin now, it's probably the character that I like the most. Pretty sad story with Coyote breaking his mind so casually. In Power Levels, are Ysengrin and Renard in the same category? I can see a confrontation between the three dogs happening soon, obviously for Annie.

Also, anyone else getting really creeped out by Robot? The whole robot cult to Kat started fun but it's getting kinda dark.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Annie being overconfident, insofar the Forest and magic things are concerned, is kind of a recurring theme.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
What's going to happen to that bird with the horns and the long ears?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Roger Explosion posted:

It's going to become a chicken without feathers.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Also, anyone else getting really creeped out by Robot? The whole robot cult to Kat started fun but it's getting kinda dark.

Robot is one of my favorite characters in this story. I love his design -- the only robot who wears clothes, complete with a hoodie that sometimes seems more like a cowl. I love the duality of his nature, how in theory he is one of Kat's greatest protectors, and at the same time the most dangerous thing in her life. How competent he is, while at the same time how misguided his philosophizing is. He seems to be single-handedly turning her into a god just by twisting her words into a sermon that fits his own agenda.

The whole cult thing is just this delicious slow build of drama that is eventually all going to get set loose in one glorious flood of conflict. I can't wait.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Robot is one of my favorite characters in this story. I love his design -- the only robot who wears clothes, complete with a hoodie that sometimes seems more like a cowl. I love the duality of his nature, how in theory he is one of Kat's greatest protectors, and at the same time the most dangerous thing in her life. How competent he is, while at the same time how misguided his philosophizing is. He seems to be single-handedly turning her into a god just by twisting her words into a sermon that fits his own agenda.

The whole cult thing is just this delicious slow build of drama that is eventually all going to get set loose in one glorious flood of conflict. I can't wait.

Not to mention his relationship with Shadow 2! I'm betting that, once the poo poo hits the fan with Kat and the robots, Shadow2 will have a key role and their thing together will be ruined, which is going to be really sad. Yeah, Robot rocks. Then again most characters are amazing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want to know how Jones will react to the robots getting an ether connection. I have a feeling the thing she desires most is to die.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Demiurge4 posted:

I want to know how Jones will react to the robots getting an ether connection. I have a feeling the thing she desires most is to die.

I think desire is MUCH to strong a term to apply to Jones.

Besides being at the bomb site seems more curiosity than self destruction

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, while wishing for death is a recurrent theme with immortal beings, I don't think Jones fits the part. She seems pretty content to just roam the earth and experiencing whatever she can.

She's obviously pretty Alien so who knows. The only reason I'd see her wishing for death is to check out what happens after, but I'd like to see the Psychopomp willing to take her.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah, while wishing for death is a recurrent theme with immortal beings, I don't think Jones fits the part. She seems pretty content to just roam the earth and experiencing whatever she can.

She's obviously pretty Alien so who knows. The only reason I'd see her wishing for death is to check out what happens after, but I'd like to see the Psychopomp willing to take her.

I'd like to see the psychopomp able to take her, myself. I doubt there are many, if there is one at all.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Roger Explosion posted:

"Annie, you must strangle this rabbit. It used to be Ysengrin's job but it's yours now hahahaha!"

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
"Don't worry, it's not my blood!"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Roland Jones posted:

I'd like to see the psychopomp able to take her, myself. I doubt there are many, if there is one at all.

The things that keep a spirit bound seem to be emotion, i.e. Jeanne/rage and the burned boy/fear, or a direct appeal and the RotD.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

What? Jeanne isn't bound by rage. She's bound by a horrific technomagical arrow.

And the boy wasn't bound by anything either. Two pscyhopomps had a legitimate claim on him and his fear kept him from communicating well enough to make a choice. If only one psychopomp had a claim, they would have just taken him no problem.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to the psychopomps, jones might as well be a stone. a walking, talking, sentient stone, but still just as much outside their purview.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Both those conditions are only a problem because of the rage/fear, if Jeanne wasn't so rage filled the psychopomps would be able to identify and contain the arrow, and when the burned boy was calmed he was able to decide.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Rumda posted:

Both those conditions are only a problem because of the rage/fear, if Jeanne wasn't so rage filled the psychopomps would be able to identify and contain the arrow, and when the burned boy was calmed he was able to decide.

maybe, but since it did manage to pierce through and do damage down into the ether/rotd/wherever it is psychopomps are when they're off work, it could very well be that the best they can do is look at it and go "welp"

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Rumda posted:

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. When I hear someone saying heightened emotions are binding spirits to a place, I assume they mean some kind of metaphysical chains that tie them to the earth as long as they're feeling the emotions. That is not at all what is happening in the two examples you are talking about. Jeanne and the boy's failure to move on comes from decisions they made. Namely, hiding or killing. They certainly made those choices as a result of their emotions, but it was not the emotions in and of themselves that bind them.

The boy wasn't bound at all. Jeanne is bound by the arrow. She cannot move on until it is destroyed.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Bound may have not been the best word to use but it was a a good enough lump description for people the psychopomps cannot deal with directly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hugoon Chavez posted:

In Power Levels, are Ysengrin and Renard in the same category?
Who can say about the Gunnerkrigg Court versions? In folklore, Ysengrin is stronger but Renard is much smarter so it's always Ysengrin who loses, usually in especially humiliating ways. It's quite possible the same brawn-vs.-brains dynamic is in play here: Ysengrin has some impressive measure of brute force with his mechatree exoarmor, but he's not all there in the head; while Renard's own borrowed body can shapeshift to appear threatening or harmless, and also it can pick locks.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Cat Mattress posted:

Who can say about the Gunnerkrigg Court versions? In folklore, Ysengrin is stronger but Renard is much smarter so it's always Ysengrin who loses, usually in especially humiliating ways. It's quite possible the same brawn-vs.-brains dynamic is in play here: Ysengrin has some impressive measure of brute force with his mechatree exoarmor, but he's not all there in the head; while Renard's own borrowed body can shapeshift to appear threatening or harmless, and also it can pick locks.

I agree with this. Aside from Jones and Coyote, I don't think measuring power levels would work out quite as evenly as say, Dragonball or an equivalent series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dammerung posted:

I agree with this. Aside from Jones and Coyote, I don't think measuring power levels would work out quite as evenly as say, Dragonball or an equivalent series.

Dragon Ball rating system always applies. "Power levels are bullshit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
At the risk of derailing, I did enjoy being able to measure DBZ villain power in the unit of Raditzes.

But power in Gunnerkrigg is totally mutable, and utterly objective. What is Reynardine without Coyote's powers? A fox with some ethereal presence. But his knowledge, relationship to Coyote, and his willingness to be ruthless make him a big power player.
Eglamore is (probably ) the most combat capable person in the court. But what good is that with Jeanne, or the conflict with the forest? He can protect Annie from the forest's worst excesses, but it will be other people who solve the conflict.