Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

"this is REAL fantasy, with blood and rape and slavery!"

It's funny. When I read this quote I immediately thought of Exalted, specifically the Manacle and Coin sourcebook.

For those not familiar with the book, it is essentially "lets look at slave trading economics in the ancient world, but oh slaves get sent to the borders of creation to have their souls sucked dry by Fae" plus a drugs section because where else are you going to put it really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

I recall the early descriptions Edwards gave of the project reading like a parody of "grim fantasy" in the "this is REAL fantasy, with blood and rape and slavery!" Has this changed significantly since then?

Significantly, no, although he once addressed concerns about the rape in a conversation with Anna Kreider last I remember.

From Adept Press' description, it seems to focus more on the "dung ages" interpretation of the Middle Ages, where there were no centers of learning, large governments with social structures, or even knights or nobles. It seems to be going for the most technologically primitive reigns of medieval times and making it a universal standard.

It could potentially be an interesting setting, what with the conflict between two magical traditions and the PCs belonging to a special order who can manipulate both, but the pitched setting sounds kind of lacking in variety to me.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think Ron has been too busy dredging up dumb poo poo he said a decade ago to defend himself against Pundit for any news to come out of his new RPG.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Davin Valkri posted:

I mean more like...it's one thing to want to have a very dark and philosophical setting with no really good way out. That's fine, writers do that all the time. It's another thing to do that sort of thing in the sort of violent, breast-showing way that seems to happen in things like Warhammer 40k and the like. The post-WWI malaise may have included some renewed conflicts in e.g. Ethiopia, Poland, Estonia, but a lot of it was just a whole lot of people going "everything's changed, where do we go now?" Or maybe I just want people to run games set in the 20th century that aren't Cthulhu, I don't know.

This too.

I know Warhammer gets knocked a lot, and mostly I think it's because GW is an idiot company who often squanders the potential their settings have by backpedalling away from the satirical 2000AD-esque aspects due to being afraid that a ponytailed 15 year old will be offended but I think it's quite possible to do a satisfying "dark" game in a cartoonish setting. I'm reading John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake's Spectre comic right now and it's all about the Wrath of God and it deals with judgement and vengeance and all that but that Wrath of God is a bone-white muscleman who wears a green cape, green briefs and green elf booties. But it's pulled off so well that it doesn't matter, and the fact that it doesn't shy away from the fact that this vengeful hyper-powerful being who does poo poo like turn murderers into glass and then transforms into a hammer to shatter them just looks silly is part of why it's so good.

The problem is that dudes who giggle because the succubus in the Monster Manual was naked aren't the best equipped at juggling the balls that need to be in the air for that to be pulled off.

Speaking of squandering potential, does Dan Abnett still write for them? He seemed to be the only talented creator they had, and from last I saw it looked like they were wasting him on really boring and unending Horus Heresy novels.

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair, there was a Warhammer 40K tournament that happened along similar lines to coincide with Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade where people were encouraged to play games and then mail in the results and this would influence the story. Well, Chaos and Ork players won by a decisive margin because there was a bunch of actual coordination going on between various players and game groups...not, like, underhanded cheating but just "get the word out and play ya' best" sort of stuff...and the same basic thing happened. GW spun the narrative into a lukewarm stalemate where Abaddon's forces won the battle on Cadia's surface but the Imperium won the battle in space or something and so nothing of any significance happened one way or the next. Also Eldar players pulled off some special victory conditions during the event and their reward was having one of their only named signature characters killed off.

What I'm saying is that Games Workshop kind of sucks in general.

I mean I'm a Warhams fan in that I enjoy the RPGs, and I've read some comics and I like those giant artbook type things they used to put out like the Liber Chaotica and Xenology, but man, it really seems like GW despises the people who play their games.

It's also kind of funny that the RPGs are often played by many people who I don't think would ever want to play the mini games. Particularly Rogue Trader.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 25, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lightning Lord posted:

The problem is that dudes who giggle because the succubus in the Monster Manual was naked aren't the best equipped at juggling the balls

:v:

quote:

It's also kind of funny that the RPGs are often played by many people who I don't think would ever want to play the mini games. Particularly Rogue Trader.

I know a good portion of the Warhams folk in my town who have sort of retreated to the RPGs thanks to the mishandling of the wargames. The unrelenting grim darkness, sky high prices and high edition turnover have killed a lot of dedicated fan groups who still want their fixes. Lots of interest I see in Rogue Trader is because it's not the same boring mud and blood poo poo.

Edit: I mean seriously $50, 100-page required splat books? What the actual gently caress?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

Significantly, no, although he once addressed concerns about the rape in a conversation with Anna Kreider last I remember.

Oh yeah? And how'd that shake out?

Lightning Lord posted:

This is me. Warhammer the tabletop wargame looks like about as sound an investment as buying into Scientology. FFG's 40K games have plenty of hiccups and issues to be sure, but it doesn't cost you thousands of dollars and an indeterminate amount of time spent assembling and painting little plastic figures to play Rogue Trader or Black Crusade.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm actually in an Only War game now, and it's a totally wacky group, but the book itself has a humor to it I never saw in the (post-2e) IG codex. You have this huge list of standard gear for each guardsman, which includes a lot of generalized stuff, but it also specifically notes you get one spare pair of socks. The encumbrance rules are pretty fiddly, but they also say "Unless you're carrying a lascannon on your back, who gives a poo poo? Don't even look at these." If you randomly roll your comrade sidekick, one of the results is that they're stinky.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Black Crusade is, in my opinion, one of FFG's most impressive entries in the 40K RPG line because it's a game that's all about being people devoted to CHAOS!, and yet it never gets purile (not even the Slaanesh-centric book does this, there's no gratuitous art of women in bondage straps or tits and dicks everywhere, no rape magic, etc.) and has some excellent setting fluff in the worlds of the Screaming Vortex where the writers take a bunch of planets dedicated to the four Chaos Gods and manage to make them cool and interesting places to go and have murderous adventures on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

So you're saying that grogs who want their fantasy kingdom to be full of jerks aren't going far enough and should run games about how much the Weimar Republic sucked?

A campaign set in the Fantasy Weimar Republic where you try to stop putschs and kick Freikorps rear end and get enough trade going to improve the economy and improve the general peace and order of things enough so that President Hindendwarf doesn't have to resort to appointing Adelf Hitler sounds like a good idea and an inversion of the "everything sucks and is grimdark" trope.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm actually in an Only War game now, and it's a totally wacky group, but the book itself has a humor to it I never saw in the (post-2e) IG codex. You have this huge list of standard gear for each guardsman, which includes a lot of generalized stuff, but it also specifically notes you get one spare pair of socks. The encumbrance rules are pretty fiddly, but they also say "Unless you're carrying a lascannon on your back, who gives a poo poo? Don't even look at these." If you randomly roll your comrade sidekick, one of the results is that they're stinky.

Don't forget the Por Com, described in overwrought 40k esque purple prose and plenty of stuff like 'The Drusian Rite of Gesticulation' to get it working if it jams. I saw so many topics on FFG's forums asking what the gently caress that thing was, being a 'device full of a reservoir of staining liquid for transcription.' So many people missed it.

It's a goddamn pen.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Black Crusade is, in my opinion, one of FFG's most impressive entries in the 40K RPG line because it's a game that's all about being people devoted to CHAOS!, and yet it never gets purile (not even the Slaanesh-centric book does this, there's no gratuitous art of women in bondage straps or tits and dicks everywhere, no rape magic, etc.) and has some excellent setting fluff in the worlds of the Screaming Vortex where the writers take a bunch of planets dedicated to the four Chaos Gods and manage to make them cool and interesting places to go and have murderous adventures on.

Completely agree. In general Fantasy Flight has interesting and plot filled planet descriptions in all the books of their 40k line, but Black Crusade's planet settings are a cut above.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm actually in an Only War game now, and it's a totally wacky group, but the book itself has a humor to it I never saw in the (post-2e) IG codex.
If you want Guard humor, you could do worse than look up the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. It's this tiny soldier's handbook filled with good soldiering advice (this is how you do a column), bad soldiering advice (orks are actually really weedy) and lots and lots of prayers, litanies and overblown pompous regulations.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Speaking of squandering potential, does Dan Abnett still write for them? He seemed to be the only talented creator they had, and from last I saw it looked like they were wasting him on really boring and unending Horus Heresy novels.

There's a Gaunt's Ghosts book slated for this July, although I'd rather have book 2 of the Ravenor vs Eisenhorn series.

The big issue with the Horus Heresy novels, which started out good, is that they're at the point where they have to start ending it. And since I'm pretty certain the HH is one of their best selling properties, GW is hesitant to do that. Which results in books that should be short stories (I'm looking at you, The Unremembered Empire )

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
On the Warhammer RPG's, I'm pretty sure the only way to play them is in the older, "2000 AD"/satire vein of the original writing, because for God's sake, the book's tables rolled me up a Skaven hairstylist as a character(Barber-Surgeon, but practically the same). You can't tell me that's not a wellspring of comedy right there.

Speaking of 2000AD, has there ever been a Judge Dredd RPG? That setting's just about bursting with all sorts of content that could be used and abused.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

On the Warhammer RPG's, I'm pretty sure the only way to play them is in the older, "2000 AD"/satire vein of the original writing, because for God's sake, the book's tables rolled me up a Skaven hairstylist as a character(Barber-Surgeon, but practically the same). You can't tell me that's not a wellspring of comedy right there.

Speaking of 2000AD, has there ever been a Judge Dredd RPG? That setting's just about bursting with all sorts of content that could be used and abused.

3, according to google. There was also a minis game made by Mongoose.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd_(role-playing_game)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I imagine a Judge Dredd/Mega City One minis game to have a very Mordheim vibe, small squad tactics with dudes getting gibbed left and right, factions being gangs, Judges, aliens, mutants, infiltrators from other Mega Cities and so forth.

Time to see if any of this can be dug up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's basically what Warlord games did with it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

moths posted:

That's basically what Warlord games did with it.
How the hell had I never heard of this before? I don't even play minis games, but I'm kind of tempted to have a set of Dark Judges for my desk...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I mean more like...it's one thing to want to have a very dark and philosophical setting with no really good way out. That's fine, writers do that all the time. It's another thing to do that sort of thing in the sort of violent, breast-showing and above all medieval way that always seems to happen in things like Warhammer 40k and the like. The post-WWI malaise may have included some renewed conflicts in e.g. Ethiopia, Poland, Estonia, but a lot of it was just a whole lot of people going "everything's changed, where do we go now?" Or maybe I just want people to run games set in the 20th century that aren't Cthulhu, I don't know.

This too.

Weimar Germany would make a cool setting imo

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Libertad! posted:

From Adept Press' description, it seems to focus more on the "dung ages" interpretation of the Middle Ages, where there were no centers of learning, large governments with social structures, or even knights or nobles. It seems to be going for the most technologically primitive reigns of medieval times and making it a universal standard.

It could potentially be an interesting setting, what with the conflict between two magical traditions and the PCs belonging to a special order who can manipulate both, but the pitched setting sounds kind of lacking in variety to me.
You know for a guy who pontificates endlessly about creating stories he sure knows how to pick the most boring story premise ever.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

Oh yeah? And how'd that shake out?

You can find the exchange here.

Basically it boiled down to:

Anna: "Hey, this poo poo's hosed up which plays into a larger problem in geek culture of rape as a cheap plot device for edginess and stuff."

Ron: "Thank you for your response, you're right on a lot of these accounts, I'll get right on it."

Anna: "Hey thanks for listening to my concerns instead of getting really defensive like a lot of other game designers do."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I guess we'll see what comes of it then. Like MSW said, besides the whole "this is so GRITTY and REAL it has rape!" thing it also just sounds like the most fantastically dull and one-note premise for a game in general.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Paladins are a staple of Romantic writing.
Bad DMs are obsessed with making Paladins fall.
Coincidence?

Edit:

PurpleXVI posted:

Just yesterday I got an email from Mongoose shilling the hardcover of their Judge Dredd RPG. It's based off Mongoose Traveller though.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 25, 2015

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh, agreed. Shine On Me is more entertainingly batshit and, dare I say it, musically catchy. I'm just holding out for that third one.

It already exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUiA4blvQPQ

jadarx
May 25, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Just yesterday I got an email from Mongoose shilling the hardcover of their Judge Dredd RPG. It's based off Mongoose Traveller though.

I got that email right after I posted in this thread :tinfoil:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Not grog, but perhaps a symptom of grog: https://twitter.com/chemrebel/status/559498047852646400

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I don't get it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Error 404 posted:

I don't get it.

"We have to actively seek out women or there won't be any."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
They have a women in gaming panel without a single woman actually on the panel and have to go out to recruit one.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I get it now.

:negative:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

They have a women in gaming panel without a single woman actually on the panel and have to go out to recruit one.

To be fair, they don't have a woman working in a gaming company. I'm sure they have at least one woman, since the tweet came from one.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

I read that as not being to get someone who works for a gaming company which is an entirely different proposition.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Especially since putting yourself out there like that, particularly these days, is like painting a giant target on your back.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ProfessorCirno posted:

Don't forget...it has a SEQUEL! And it's planned on being a TRILOGY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRumTSNXTe0
A SEQUEL

THANK YOU!!!

Dude if I spent this much time and effort on something and it had 19,000 views in a year on YouTube I would just stop

Also yeah this song is ... well it actually sounds like those times I accidentally turn on Disney Radio to me, so I guess he has that going for him?

Reene posted:

Especially since putting yourself out there like that, particularly these days, is like painting a giant target on your back.
God ugh it makes me so mad. At least the panel itself would probably go well, it is just the time leading up to the panel ... and then forever after the panel ... that whoever she is might get harassed.

Sigh

I wish there were a way to find these people (the harassers) in real life so I could talk to them in a fashion where they might have no choice but to listen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Let me just remind everyone that this is an event that had to be held at Gencon.

I'm still unsure how this needed to be a mediated discussion.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact the Cosplay Deviants sponsored the panel. So the creepy nerds that just listened to a seminar about respecting the boundaries of cosplayers can go and buy nudes of them in the vendor hall.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Better that the creepy nerds buy the nudes than harass cosplayers, I guess?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

Which part of "nerds are terrible" do you not get?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slimnoid posted:

Better that the creepy nerds buy the nudes than harass cosplayers, I guess?

Some of the models are at the booth too I think. So they can do both!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which part of "nerds are terrible" do you not get?

I want to believe they can understand the basic principle of "don't be creepy" :smith:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Let me just remind everyone that this is an event that had to be held at Gencon.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact the Cosplay Deviants sponsored the panel. So the creepy nerds that just listened to a seminar about respecting the boundaries of cosplayers can go and buy nudes of them in the vendor hall.

Wasn't this a movement at all the conventions, not just a Gencon thing? I remember seeing some stuff about this online not related to Gencon and some cosplayer friends were telling me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Wasn't this a movement at all the conventions, not just a Gencon thing? I remember seeing some stuff about this online not related to Gencon and some cosplayer friends were telling me about it.

Yeah, it's been around for a few years now, but some (terrible) people see it as infringing on their rights or "then why are they dressed like that?" or NOT ALL MEN.

• Locked thread