Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
We're getting Top Gear USA vs Top Gear UK! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

keevo posted:

We're getting Top Gear USA vs Top Gear UK! :getin:

Are they going to make Tanner race the Stig?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ariza posted:

Are they going to make Tanner race the Stig?

They could redo the whole "James has to change before he races." Then the stig comes out of the trailer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

Marathoning TGUK before the new series has been worth it, apparently they did a 1949 challenge that I completely missed.

Yeah that was one of the best challenges ever in the world.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So how is everyone's Sunday going?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

So how is everyone's Sunday going?

Is this going to be simulcast all over the world today? Does that mean BBC America?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ariza posted:

Is this going to be simulcast all over the world today? Does that mean BBC America?

My TV listings show it as a 90 minute block on Monday night

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pik_d posted:

My TV listings show it as a 90 minute block on Monday night

I thought they said something about it on that long interview posted the other day and Clarkson said "take that, pirates!"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ariza posted:

I thought they said something about it on that long interview posted the other day and Clarkson said "take that, pirates!"

Yeah they did.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ariza posted:

I thought they were referring to the DMCA they sent to that site.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's only the usual hour. And is that a Chilean lapel pin I see?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ola posted:

It's 90 minutes on BBCA so they can fill it with commercials.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Ola posted:

It's only the usual hour.
BBC America shows commercials, which stretches the time. Hopefully the 1.5 hour block means nothing will be edited out from the original. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So TG is back?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Two Finger posted:

So TG is back?
v:shobon:v maybe

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's on right now. Not a bad episode so far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like Hammond will be using a Series 1 Land Rover to replicate the 90 "dambuster" advert later in the series. :toot:

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_c7nVi4qo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ariza posted:

I'd like to thank Her Majesty's faithful citizens for subsidizsing this episode of TG for me with their TV tax.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

psydude posted:

I'd like to thank Her Majesty's faithful citizens for subsidizsing this episode of TG for me with their TV tax.
Thank the others, I don't pay it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're welcome.

The hurrican looks like a mazda.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It certainly won't be edited at least for the first run, they've been doing that (hence the 1.5hr block) for several seasons now.

They do eventually get chopped down when they go into reruns, but first air is generally as seen on BBC plus commercials.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If they simulcast all over the world, how are they handling the music?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Very carefully

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

i don't think it's simulcast all over the world, just online for uk people through iplayer.

of course, there's no way ever for anybody outside uk to ever access that ever.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
They said "simulcast" what they meant was BBC Entertainment was also showing it.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Sormus posted:

They said "simulcast" what they meant was BBC Entertainment was also showing it.
Hah hah but the Nordic BBCE didn't. And our licence funded channel NRK, which has the TG rights for Norway didn't show it either. So I went to town waiting for other means of viewing it, and now it's done so here goes :)

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Ola posted:

The Chilean flag pins were a great touch.

Powershift posted:

i don't think it's simulcast all over the world, just online for uk people through iplayer.

Top Gear has been livestreamed on iPlayer for ~5years, since the function was introduced

twoot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 25, 2015

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

And iPlayer is usually only available for UK citizens. I expect "simulcast in 50 countries" to mean "shown on 50 national networks, as actual programming on the telly, at the same time it is broadcast in the UK"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It could simply be that someone in the BBC's legal department has found a way that, for an online broadcast, their "anything we want and you can't stop us" music rights are still valid.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Poor Stig :saddowns:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone know the name of the song they were playing at the end of the first race sequence?

edit: figured out I could Shazam it. It's from Captain America: Winter Soldier and called Taking a Stand.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was a good episode. I liked them accidentally focussing on hot russian girls over and over

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
That hovercraft looked terrifying to drive. I guess you've got the throttle, right prop pitch, left prop pitch, and the rudder that you have to deal with all at once. All without any traction of any kind, yikes!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don't get how they are banging on about the Ford GT's gas mileage. The F430 is rated for far less mpg on the highway and the Zonda's not even rated, but I doubt it's any better.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

skooma512 posted:

I don't get how they are banging on about the Ford GT's gas mileage. The F430 is rated for far less mpg on the highway and the Zonda's not even rated, but I doubt it's any better.

Clarkson owned one. He had nothing but problems with it, which explains his dismissal of the new one.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Clarkson owned one. He had nothing but problems with it, which explains his dismissal of the new one.

I'm referring to the segment they had in Series 7 where they drove to the south of France, but I'm not surprised he isn't keen on it though.

It was a gag they had about how Jeremy kept having to take on fuel, which isn't shocking for a supercar, but I fail to see how it could be any worse than the Zonda and F430 the others had. I guess it was have a dig at an American car or make Jeremy the butt of a joke for a change?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

skooma512 posted:

I'm referring to the segment they had in Series 7 where they drove to the south of France, but I'm not surprised he isn't keen on it though.

It was a gag they had about how Jeremy kept having to take on fuel, which isn't shocking for a supercar, but I fail to see how it could be any worse than the Zonda and F430 the others had. I guess it was have a dig at an American car or make Jeremy the butt of a joke for a change?

If I recall that segment correctly, relative to the other two cars, his was the absolute worst. It was bad even for a supercar.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
Loved the Goldeneye soundtrack for St. Petersburg. They got in a couple songs from the Inception soundtrack as well.

Did they say Hammond's bike weighed 860 grams? That seems really light, even for a $15,000 bike.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Petekill posted:

Loved the Goldeneye soundtrack for St. Petersburg. They got in a couple songs from the Inception soundtrack as well.

Did they say Hammond's bike weighed 860 grams? That seems really light, even for a $15,000 bike.

Yea! That bike weighs about 6 times more than my smart phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Scottw330 posted:

That hovercraft looked terrifying to drive. I guess you've got the throttle, right prop pitch, left prop pitch, and the rudder that you have to deal with all at once. All without any traction of any kind, yikes!

No joke. That thing looked seriously confusing. And yet I can't stop wishing I had one now :allears: