Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I think Bog Oak's take on "Planet Caravan" might be the best of the bunch. I feel like some of the other tracks are missing key riffs and beats.

I think someone might have brought up the Latin funk band Brownout's album of Sabbath covers, but it definitely deserves another mention: http://brownout.bandcamp.com/album/brownout-presents-brown-sabbath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Somehow this totally slipped past me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1n3sFQhyg

Dylan Carlson jamming some Earth on a little boat on a summer's day. :allears:

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Grey Elephants posted:

I've been listening to this on repeat, this is fantastic stuff. I really dig the vocals.

Yeah their vocals are what hooked me. I hope they start doing shows outside of Nashville soon (talk about topical :v:)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SAHChandler posted:

Yeah their vocals are what hooked me. I hope they start doing shows outside of Nashville soon (talk about topical :v:)

Wait, there's a good stoner band in Nashville that actually plays shows around here?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Juaguocio posted:

I think someone might have brought up the Latin funk band Brownout's album of Sabbath covers, but it definitely deserves another mention: http://brownout.bandcamp.com/album/brownout-presents-brown-sabbath

Very cool!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Wait, there's a good stoner band in Nashville that actually plays shows around here?

Your joking right?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
loss are from nashville, right? they're pretty far from stoner though

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Stravinsky posted:

Your joking right?

No. Just moved here not too long ago, haven't been able to find much about the local scene (besides Loss, Inferi, Yautja, Alraun, but haven't seen them play anthing local lately)

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

This is loving spectacular.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No. Just moved here not too long ago, haven't been able to find much about the local scene (besides Loss, Inferi, Yautja, Alraun, but haven't seen them play anthing local lately)

If you want to hop into the scene ask the nearest strung out crust punk when the next cool show is

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Taken from their Facebook page

Howling Giant posted:

We hope everyone is enjoying the EP! We booked our makeup show at The Basement this Saturday, January 17th at 9pm. Come and hang with us and the many loose dudes that follow our band around.

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
Elder just released a new song/cocktease one and a half month before the release of their new album, and it sounds absurdly good. These guys are onto something truly unique.
https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2015/01/16/elder-lore-compendium-premiere/

The album cover should be enough to turn you into a pathetic fanboy like me.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Digging that new Elder track, definitely picking that one up. Thanks for posting that link.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

they're about as generic as stoner comes. I've never seen them, but I'm willing to bet they're a lot of fun live, so go if you're into stoner rock.

Don't care for their records, but their live shows are a blast.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

clearly not a horse posted:

Elder just released a new song/cocktease one and a half month before the release of their new album, and it sounds absurdly good. These guys are onto something truly unique.
https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2015/01/16/elder-lore-compendium-premiere/

The album cover should be enough to turn you into a pathetic fanboy like me.

Elder is back! That track sounds great. I'm definitely going to try to catch their Charlotte show.
I've had no shows come close to me in about a year and now I've got to try to do Elder on 3/26 and YOB the next day.
:negative:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

Somehow this totally slipped past me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1n3sFQhyg

Dylan Carlson jamming some Earth on a little boat on a summer's day. :allears:

This is phenomenal. I totally needed something to bring a smile to my face on a lovely day like today, and it totally did.

What's he playing? I recognized (and the comments confirmed) the last part is Bees Made Honey, but the first segment and the puppet show I don't recognize.

e: Oh gently caress how did I sleep on Elder? Compendium is loving massive. I need to catch up on their other stuff.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2015

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
Just found about Heavypink, which apparently is a solo project by one of the guys from Mos Generator. It's pretty much doomy Pink Floyd and it sounds pretty drat good. To this date it's just a 7" LP with three songs, but hopefully there will be more and I'm going to watch this project with a close eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBpwfsa_xc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m53DD6cewks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mastodon and Clutch just announced a co-headlining tour. Sadly it's not coming anywhere near me. Who plays Des Moines and not Chicago (not that I have any right to complain about concerts not coming through Chicago)? Clutch never seems to come to places I live though.

Thu/Apr-16 - St. Paul, MN - Myth
Fri/Apr-17 - Winnipeg, MB - Burton Cummings Theater
Sat/Apr-18 - Saskatoon, SK - O'Brians
Sun/Apr-19 - Edmonton, AB - Expo Centre
Tue/Apr-21 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan
Thu/Apr-23 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore
Fri/Apr-24 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore
Sat/Apr-25 - Portland, OR - Roseland
Sun/Apr-26 - Seattle, WA - Showbox SODO
Tue/Apr-28 - Oakland, CA - The Fox Theater
Wed/Apr-29 - Los Angeles, CA - Palladium
Thu/Apr-30 - Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theater
Fri/May-01 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues
Sat/May-02 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
Sun/May-03 - Denver, CO - Red Rocks
Tue/May-05 - San Antonio, TX - Kapone's
Wed/May-06 - Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom
Sat/May-09 - Raleigh, NC - Lincoln Theatre Street Stage
Sun/May-10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
Tue/May-12 - Des Moines, IA - 7 Flags
Wed/May-13 - Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom Club Stage
Fri/May-15 - Bethlehem, PA - Sands Event Center
Sat/May-16 - Baltimore, MD - Pier Six Pavilion
Sun/May-17 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
Tue/May-19 - New York, NY - Summerstage, Central Park
Wed/May-20 - Niagara Falls, NY - Rapids Theater
Thu/May-21 - London, ON - London Music Hall
Sun/May-24 - Columbus, OH - LC Pavilion

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Two Vancouver shows? Weird, but I'm certainly not going to complain about the chance to see Clutch two nights in a row,.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
Ohhh poo poo I'm gonna have to try to get to that show at Red Rocks. I've been wanting to see Clutch for a while and I haven't had a chance to see any concerts at Red Rocks since moving out here.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
hahahaha new acid king album cover, what the gently caress

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looks extremely rad to me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
compared the their old album covers... i dunno.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

hahahaha new acid king album cover, what the gently caress

They've been down too long in the midnight sea and this is what's become of them. Clearly.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I thought this track by my band might fit into the thread:

RAMPART - Beyond the Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1y6ToLeLM

Sadly we never had the opportunity mix it properly.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Some friends of mine just released a video, check it out if you're a fan of post-metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBhMlPGn8Y

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Ordered my Temples Festival ticket today, Sunday headliner was announced yesterday as Earth.

It looks loving incredible. Apparently there's one more big announcement to come, my secret wish is that they've booked either Sleep or Ufomammut. I can't really complain whatever though, I've wanted to see Goatsnake for the best part of a decade and I thought they'd actually split up because it's been so long since they've released anything or played together live.

If you are in the UK you should go to this thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That is an unreal lineup

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I'm waiting until my next payday to buy a weekend ticket but I have a horrible feeling that tickets are going to sell mega quickly because of all of this publicity. :ohdear:

I'm putting together a little playlist of all the bands playing just so I can get in the mood for it. Grived are a mega good (not doom metal) band that everyone needs to check out.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I really couldn't afford to buy a ticket right now either but I know it sold out last year and I would be very sad to miss out. There's definitely a bunch of bands there whose names I know but have never listened to. Also you see that Pig Destroyer have two sets, I'm guessing that one is going to be their grind stuff and the other some of their more doomy/sludgey material.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
With Temples being a few minutes' walk away from me, and just a month after Roadburn, I really feel like I get enough doom gigs to last me an entire year. I've crossed so many of my favourite bands off my bucket list in the past few years it's incredible, some I've gotten to see about 5-6 times due to them being regulars or doing two sets at Roadburn. Some who were on hiatus or split up when I got into them and wrote off ever getting to see again. I mean, Bongzilla are playing this year, for Christ's sake.

I can't wait to see Celeste again. I didn't know their material that well and I still don't but they made a really strong impression when I saw them at RB. And Sunn O))) whose Roadburn show was one of the best things I'd ever seen (well, felt).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know what the schedules are like for the other stages on the final night, but Year of No Light are fantastic live.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They say they've worked really hard to minimise clashes (none of the headliners clash) but at the moment I think I'd be fine staying at stage 3 on Friday and then stage 1 the other two days. I think the full schedule is meant to be released in February?

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mastodon and Clutch just announced a co-headlining tour. Sadly it's not coming anywhere near me. Who plays Des Moines and not Chicago (not that I have any right to complain about concerts not coming through Chicago)? Clutch never seems to come to places I live though.

Thu/Apr-16 - St. Paul, MN - Myth
Fri/Apr-17 - Winnipeg, MB - Burton Cummings Theater
Sat/Apr-18 - Saskatoon, SK - O'Brians
Sun/Apr-19 - Edmonton, AB - Expo Centre
Tue/Apr-21 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan
Thu/Apr-23 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore
Fri/Apr-24 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore
Sat/Apr-25 - Portland, OR - Roseland
Sun/Apr-26 - Seattle, WA - Showbox SODO
Tue/Apr-28 - Oakland, CA - The Fox Theater
Wed/Apr-29 - Los Angeles, CA - Palladium
Thu/Apr-30 - Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theater
Fri/May-01 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues
Sat/May-02 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
Sun/May-03 - Denver, CO - Red Rocks
Tue/May-05 - San Antonio, TX - Kapone's
Wed/May-06 - Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom
Sat/May-09 - Raleigh, NC - Lincoln Theatre Street Stage
Sun/May-10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
Tue/May-12 - Des Moines, IA - 7 Flags
Wed/May-13 - Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom Club Stage
Fri/May-15 - Bethlehem, PA - Sands Event Center
Sat/May-16 - Baltimore, MD - Pier Six Pavilion
Sun/May-17 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
Tue/May-19 - New York, NY - Summerstage, Central Park
Wed/May-20 - Niagara Falls, NY - Rapids Theater
Thu/May-21 - London, ON - London Music Hall
Sun/May-24 - Columbus, OH - LC Pavilion

I wouldn't be surprised if Mastodon are playing Lollapalooza and thus aren't allowed to book Chicago shows for a certain window around that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fermented Piss posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Mastodon are playing Lollapalooza and thus aren't allowed to book Chicago shows for a certain window around that.

Is that an actual clause in Lolla's contracts? It's not for another three months after that.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I'm sure this is old hat to ya'll, since I bought zero new music in 2014, but just picked up YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend.
:aaa:

Ten outta fuckin ten.
Exactly what I needed to kick my rear end into gear and power through my winter sads, put up an ad on CL to start a doom band, and now might just go ride my mountain bike through the snow.:black101:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The main riff on the 2nd track is sooooo good.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is that an actual clause in Lolla's contracts? It's not for another three months after that.

I don't know about Lollapalooza but Coachella's radius clause is three months.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I've never listened to the Melvins. If I enjoy the likes of Harvey Milk, Eyehategod, Old Man Gloom, Bongripper, etc., which Melvins album(s) should I start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

I've never listened to the Melvins. If I enjoy the likes of Harvey Milk, Eyehategod, Old Man Gloom, Bongripper, etc., which Melvins album(s) should I start with?

Bullhead would be a good one.