Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That could be glorious or an utter trainwreck. I see no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Aurelia confirmed out on Tuesday, as the "Lady Hammerlock Pack".

quote:

Aurelia is the heir of the Hammerlock family fortune, but when she's not riding her hoverbike through the endless hallways of her orbital turbomansion, she's out hunting the latest and greatest game in the galaxy. If these expeditions should put her in conflict with her younger brother Alistair – aka Sir Hammerlock – all the better. The only thing more fun than shooting a rare animal Alistair intended to study is the look of abject horror and surprise on his face once Aurelia wears its carcass like a jaunty scarf.

Normally, Lady Hammerlock would never be seen within a light year of Pandora, but she's grown bored as her turbomansion grows cold, while her lust for violence grows hot. She's headed to Elpis with nothing more than an expensive gun, an experimental Cryo diadem, and a powerful belief that shooting angry things in the face is a good deal of fun.

Like every playable character in Borderlands, Aurelia has an action skill and three different skill trees. Her action skill is Cold As Ice, which lets her throw out a Frost Diadem Shard that seeks out enemies and attaches to them, dealing constant damage. If that target dies, the shard will move onto a new enemy, and so on.

Her three skills trees are Huntress, Cold Money, and Contractual Aristocracy. Her Huntress skill tree focuses on sniping, including a skill that offers a massive critical hit bonus for each consecutive hit she lands without missing. Her other skill tree, Cold Money, focuses on ice damage and includes a skill that can add Cryo damage to any gun. Her third skill tree is Contractual Aristocracy, which allows her to turn a co-op teammate into a servant, earning her bonuses for their kills in addition to her own.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Yeah Aurelia looks pretty fun. Was pleasantly surprised to hear she's out on tuesday.

Also apparently there is more "news" possibly relating to the "BL3" hints earlier in their Borderlands Panel tonight. I don't think that one is being streamed though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chasiubao posted:

PAX news for TPS: Aurelia out on Tuesday, campaign DLC will take us into the mind of Claptrap :psyduck:

Mokinokaro posted:

That could be glorious or an utter trainwreck. I see no middle ground.

First Tina, then Claptrap...calling it now, Borderlands 3 will have a DLC that revolves around the imagination of Krieg.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mycot posted:

First Tina, then Claptrap...calling it now, Borderlands 3 will have a DLC that revolves around the imagination of Krieg.

POOP TRAINS FOR EVERYBODY!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

AirRaid posted:

Also apparently there is more "news" possibly relating to the "BL3" hints earlier in their Borderlands Panel tonight. I don't think that one is being streamed though.

I wonder which corporation will be the big bad this time. Atlas, Hyperion, and Dahl have been done. Maybe Maliwan?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

smashpro1 posted:

I wonder which corporation will be the big bad this time. Atlas, Hyperion, and Dahl have been done. Maybe Maliwan?

My elemental damage :ohdear:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

smashpro1 posted:

Malawan seem the most obvious with the idea they've been setting things up behind the scenes the whole time but there's also Jakob's.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokinokaro posted:

Malawan seem the most obvious with the idea they've been setting things up behind the scenes the whole time but there's also Jakob's.

Jakob's was featured in The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
With Putin pressing the "reveal it was the USSR all along" button, maybe we'll see more Russian bad guys. In other words, Vladof.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

smashpro1 posted:

Gearbox

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tediore President: "Once we have stripped Pandora of all useful resources, we will discard it and digistruct another! Our plot has been under their noses this whole time. Fools!"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tediore President: "Once we have stripped Pandora of all useful resources, we will discard it and digistruct another! Our plot has been under their noses this whole time. Fools!"

Oh, I like this idea. I'd like to see Tediore as the WalMart of the corporations, and absolutely terrible. I have a soft spot for Vladof, and would rather not see them as bad guys. :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maliwan would work, because "mal" means "bad" and "wan" means "Juan."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the plot of the first Ratchet and Clank game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mycot posted:

This is the plot of the first Ratchet and Clank game.
Borderlands and Ratchet and Clank have a lot in common in tone and theme anyway. They're both about heroes doing what's right in brutal, violent universes. Borderlands is just an M-rated version.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Maliwan would work, because "mal" means "bad" and "wan" means "Juan."

"Wuahahahah you'll never escape ¡El Mal Juan!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

watho posted:

"Wuahahahah you'll never escape ¡El Mal Juan!"
Yes. I want this in Borderlands 3.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The evil CEO of Maliwan will wear a turtleneck.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Pitchford confirmed BL3 on Twitter, inasmuch as saying that they are hiring people to make it counts as confirmation.

smashpro1 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 26, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully with a different writer.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Nah, TPS' writer was way better than 2's

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aurora posted:

Nah, TPS' writer was way better than 2's

You mean Burch? Cause he did most of it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

You mean Burch? Cause he did most of it.

He hardly did anything with TPS actually and it shows. The writing is just very...Australian.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Burch rules ,you drool.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The writing in BL2 was loving amazing. What can people possibly be hating on?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I like Burch's writing. I don't understand why people have such a hatred for it?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

smashpro1 posted:

Pitchford confirmed BL3 on Twitter, inasmuch as saying that they are hiring people to make it counts as confirmation.

Yeah, I have it third hand he made a verbal announcement at PAX South today (I wasn't there, so can't confirm). Expecting more details at PAX East first weekend of March (I will be there, though I will be working as con staff so may or may not be at a Gearbox panel)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Neopie posted:

I like Burch's writing. I don't understand why people have such a hatred for it?

Because MEMES!!!!! (which honestly aren't that present)

It is weird how much hate some people seem to have for Burch, since at his worst he's still better than 90% of video game writers, and at his best he can be legitimately funny.

Alteisen posted:

Tho it would be awesome (but highly improbably) if they could get the Telltale writers that worked on Tales from the Borderlands. They get what's good about the writing, and keep none of the bad.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Welp start the BL3 hypetrain!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/pax-south-2015-gearbox-on-borderlands-3-were-ready-to-start

Literally "we're going to work on it, anyone want a job?"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Genocyber posted:

Because MEMES!!!!! (which honestly aren't that present)

It is weird how much hate some people seem to have for Burch, since at his worst he's still better than 90% of video game writers, and at his best he can be legitimately funny.

When you have a child who really admires you, and you make some off-the-cuff comment about disliking "x", they'll practically trip over themselves to show you how much they hate "x", too (even though they might actually like "x"...or might not even know what "x" is).

Basically, a verifiable 90% of the people who foam at the mouth about hating Clap-Trap or Tiny Tina or Burch or whatever are really just trying to impress the internet by parroting a perceived universal dislike for something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Solumin posted:

Welp start the BL3 hypetrain!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/pax-south-2015-gearbox-on-borderlands-3-were-ready-to-start

Literally "we're going to work on it, anyone want a job?"

So I guess we should expect it coming out in like 2018 if they're just starting to work on it right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anthony Burch is a bad lead writer and so are the rest of the Borderlands writing staff because the plot is full of holes, useless padding, monkey-cheese humor, and they expect you to take all this with a grin because they occasionally poke fun at themselves while continuously demonstrating the things they are making fun of. They try to handwave it away with the fact that the game does not take itself seriously but that does not in any way make it funny or enjoyable. I laughed a few times while I was playing but that doesn't mean the writing is good.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When you have a child who really admires you, and you make some off-the-cuff comment about disliking "x", they'll practically trip over themselves to show you how much they hate "x", too (even though they might actually like "x"...or might not even know what "x" is).

Basically, a verifiable 90% of the people who foam at the mouth about hating Clap-Trap or Tiny Tina or Burch or whatever are really just trying to impress the internet by parroting a perceived universal dislike for something.

Ok yes, you caught me, an old fart like is incredibly worried what random people that I'll never meet on an internet forum think of me, oh what a blow to my reputation this is, how will I ever recover. :cry:

I don't like Burch's writing because its loving garbage, the game is full of plot holes, the characters are lovely and one dimensional and the social justice issues he fits in are done in a very offensive and ham fisted way, they don't feel natural, they feel forced and pandering, it doesn't help that the guy has a massive ego regarding his terrible writing.

Memes, tina and claptrap are the least of my issues with Borderlands 2 writing, I honestly barely remember them at this point, the writing in this game is simply not good, it falls apart with even an elementary look at some of the biggest plot points in the game, things like New U's not being canon to explain Roland's death, Lilith being both a junkie and a one dimensional "bad-rear end", Jack doing all this horrible poo poo then after we kill Angel the game tries really hard to make you feel, its all done so poorly.

Its fine if you like it but gently caress off with this nonsense that most people don't like it because they're seeking internet cool points.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Burch is a fantastic character writer but he's not that good at coherent stories, if that makes sense.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alteisen posted:

Ok yes, you caught me, an old fart like is incredibly worried what random people that I'll never meet on an internet forum think of me, oh what a blow to my reputation this is, how will I ever recover.

Well the proof is in the pudding. I said 90% and you tripped over yourself to prove to me, the internet, that I was wrong. Even though you could technically be part of the 10% that genuinely hates the game and doesn't laugh at jokes.

Case closed, nerd.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Take a nap, homophobic grandpa.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Alteisen posted:

it doesn't help that the guy has a massive ego regarding his terrible writing.

Alright everything else is subjective but this is outright wrong. If anything the guy is incredibly submissive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wasn't a fan of the humor, but more to the point felt Jack was too dark a character. Some of the stuff he does was genuinely upsetting and just felt out of place next to the fart jokes. Dark and twisted as the setting is, it has a fundamentally goofy tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

I wasn't a fan of the humor, but more to the point felt Jack was too dark a character. Some of the stuff he does was genuinely upsetting and just felt out of place next to the fart jokes. Dark and twisted as the setting is, it has a fundamentally goofy tone.

I thought it was consistent on how Jack has a bad sense of humor in-universe. He thinks dick jokes are funny but what he also finds funny is stuff that would make even a group of bandits pause and go "wow that's actually kind of messed up man".

• Locked thread