Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Tusen Takk posted:

Trains are loads of fun to play with

I get impatient and go too fast, derailing them.

The best part about cars is driving them onto tracks and watching them derail trains. The commuter train is but paper mache against my solid-rock Mayor's Mercedes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Never drive through areas under construction; cement trucks materialize without warning, possibly overlapping you and instantly obliterating your vehicle.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

nielsm posted:

As long as you don't get sent to a waypoint you can't get away from again, because you don't have any loops between station and map edge.

Build your railways right and you won't have this problem :smuggo:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nition posted:

Does anyone here actually use Rush Hour's silly U-Drive-It feature?

There's a landing strip mission where you fart out clouds over some squares that say VU that gives you $75,000. Your mayor rating goes down a bit in the area for some time afterwards but other than that it's basically stupidly easy money. I farted around with some other stuff but most of U-Drive-It was actually pretty stupid.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a landing strip mission where you fart out clouds over some squares that say VU that gives you $75,000. Your mayor rating goes down a bit in the area for some time afterwards but other than that it's basically stupidly easy money. I farted around with some other stuff but most of U-Drive-It was actually pretty stupid.

My maps start with 4 billion $$. That's easy money :smug:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
This is probably a dumb question but.. If I end up having the same growable lots in two different datpacks from say combining modpacks does that affect how often the game decides to grow those lots or does it recognize that it's loading up the same files? Or could you maybe even willfully do something like that by copying the files a bunch of times over if you want to nudge the games choice of buildings in a certain direction for a session?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

kinnas posted:

This is probably a dumb question but.. If I end up having the same growable lots in two different datpacks from say combining modpacks does that affect how often the game decides to grow those lots or does it recognize that it's loading up the same files? Or could you maybe even willfully do something like that by copying the files a bunch of times over if you want to nudge the games choice of buildings in a certain direction for a session?

This isn't gospel so could be wrong but I've yet to notice anything different. When I initially downloaded OF 3 and then started adding loads of my mods, I added a lot of mods that OF 3 already had. Pre and post clean up of duplicates hasn't been any noticeable difference. It will gently caress your load times though if you have a massive amount of doubles etc.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I know on Mac cleaning out doubles reduced the loadtime by a noticeable amount, but it didn't cause any bugs or anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Again I can't offer some sort of cast-iron guarantee, but in my experience too, the only changes with doubles were A) Load times increased and B) If it was a menu item it would be duplicated in the menu.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
SimCity 4 reads DAT files in order, with duplicate material "overwriting" any previous bits. This is how mods that tweak the default in-game civic buildings work; rather than having both available for use, the mod file is read after the original file and thus overwrites it.

SimCity 4 reads subfolders within the plugins folder alphabetically, and in turn reads the files inside those subfolders alphabetically. If you have duplicate mods, whichever mod file is read last overwrites the previous one. The game isn't thrown off by having two of the same thing, because as far as its concerned, only the last one it read exists, and the previous, duplicate file(s) is an empty, useless file that's wasting its time.

Even if duplicate mods wind up both being listed in the game menus (because SimCity 4 is still buggy as poo poo), as far as the game is concerned, it's the same item, it just happens to appear twice in a menu. You can even build "both" of them, remove one from from your mods folder, and both buildings will continue working fine. Because, again, as far as the game is concerned, they're literally the same.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, here's my little region that I was thoroughly enjoying until I hit this wall. Was going to actually try to coat it in farms before going back to build it up.

Incidentally, this region looks like EXACTLY the sort of region I'm wanting to play! I found it on simtropolis... but... the download requires SC4Terraformer, which I can't bloody get to run. I can use SC4Mapper just fine, so... anyone have a greyscale image of this map? Alternatively, if you can get SC4Terraformer to work, could you upload the blank region?

(On simdevotion: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29095-calidore/ )

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 26, 2015

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is there a newer place to get Tai's pack? The link in the OP seems to be dead :v:

e: Nevermind, found the link he posted.

Catts fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 26, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Ah thanks for the info, I guess I'll continue merging Tai's pack with my own unholy mess of modded Oldfashion, loading times be damned. I'm elbows deep in iLive reader ripping out the McDonald's sign from the parks menu. And all those ugly Jeronji mayor mode ploppables and tree parks from BSC_000.dat. Gotta keep them menus nice and tidy. It's like an especially :spergin: videogame about matching hex codes. A horribly time consuming and disturbingly enjoyable activity to zone out with. It's like sperg meditation.

I guess I gotta ask, any chance you have an easy way you could repack an alternative BSC_000.dat without any of the ploppables or parks Tai?

And as I continue descending deeper into sperg madness, is there an easy way to globally block or replace props? I keep getting these jarring out of place bright cold green trees growing in back yards and it looks like garbage. :(

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

kinnas posted:

I guess I gotta ask, any chance you have an easy way you could repack an alternative BSC_000.dat without any of the ploppables or parks Tai?

Be very careful what you rip out of the BSC folder. gently caress loads of stuff in there is dependency stuff even though they come up as ploppables in the menu. I would honestly not rip out ugly trees and ignore them or have them not show up in the menu if you know how to do all that. I'm not joking about the BSC folder. So many buildings both grow and plop use files from there. Jeroni trees are used in a lot of stuff.

I have an unpacked version I always keep which I install new stuff to first so I can use cleanitrol and check for duplicates etc. I'll try get that uploaded tonight if I can so people can tinker with the files rather then have a data packed version. If I don't get it uploaded tonight then I'm afraid you'll have to do without it as I fly off tomorrow to a job where the internet is sat internet so upload speeds will be non existent.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

kinnas posted:

And as I continue descending deeper into sperg madness, is there an easy way to globally block or replace props? I keep getting these jarring out of place bright cold green trees growing in back yards and it looks like garbage. :(

Could try this. It has a enable/disable mod thing. Not tried it yet

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Does freight not go through passenger rail stations?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Iunnrais posted:

Incidentally, this region looks like EXACTLY the sort of region I'm wanting to play! I found it on simtropolis... but... the download requires SC4Terraformer, which I can't bloody get to run. I can use SC4Mapper just fine, so... anyone have a greyscale image of this map? Alternatively, if you can get SC4Terraformer to work, could you upload the blank region?

(On simdevotion: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29095-calidore/ )

I can't help with the others right now, but what's the problem you're having with Terraformer? If it's refusing to start you might be missing MSCVP71.DLL which is something I always forget to grab, and so always wonder why the hell SC4T isn't working every time I reinstall :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Does freight not go through passenger rail stations?

It does not. You'll need a bypass rail if you want freight and passenger trains to share the same main track.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Mister Adequate posted:

I can't help with the others right now, but what's the problem you're having with Terraformer? If it's refusing to start you might be missing MSCVP71.DLL which is something I always forget to grab, and so always wonder why the hell SC4T isn't working every time I reinstall :v:

What happens is that the loading splash screen appears, the manual opens up in my browser, and then when the loading screen vanishes, nothing happens. No error message, no program appearing, nothing. I definitely have MSCVP71.DLL (I got error messages before I downloaded it and no splash screen or manual), I also have the most recent version of DX9. Not sure what could be happening.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Uhm. What's going on here?

I can load the city and re-save and if I do it in windowed mode it saves the right city image. Full-screen though just does this...

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Opals25 posted:

I can load the city and re-save and if I do it in windowed mode it saves the right city image. Full-screen though just does this...

Full screen behaves weirdly at high resolutions. I just run it in a 1900x1000 window. Also, protip: if you want to run a wacky custom resolution like 1900x1000, you have to setup a custom resolution in your graphics card control panel. If you don't the game will just crash on startup.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Your full-screen resolution is too high. Well, for the thumbnail generation mechanism anyway. In actual play it's probably fine.

In windowed mode it'll save a default tile thumbnail if you the game loses focus at all for any reason. Again, the content of the tile will itself be fine.

We probably should have seen the future of EA games coming.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

It's weird though, I'm at 1920x1080 and I've never had it do that in the past.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

For some reason, when I try to load this region (or any region), it only renders a flat map. What gives?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Tusen Takk posted:

For some reason, when I try to load this region (or any region), it only renders a flat map. What gives?

Are you alt-tabbing out of the game while rendering?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dootman posted:

Are you alt-tabbing out of the game while rendering?

nope, I'm trying to render it on my PC right now so I can import it over to my Mac right now since I don't really get how the SC4 mapper works.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://mega.co.nz/#!OtER2IxQ!Fxxiw1Y4sAaCXOyQJIXQgB4OVwEQHJmdWGH2Kl-nZzo - Unpacked
https://mega.co.nz/#!PslTRYhC!IQT10f_24a6un3M0ehbEFjlyXucQyDU_8L57HY6gYms - Packed

By request, here is the unpacked version of my latest pack. I've included the packed version link so people don't accidently download the unpacked version which will work fine but much higher load times. The unpacked link is for people who want to modify it and/or add to it.

Potentially last version for awhile due to lovely internet.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Oh you beautiful person, thank you a whole bunch!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

https://mega.co.nz/#!OtER2IxQ!Fxxiw1Y4sAaCXOyQJIXQgB4OVwEQHJmdWGH2Kl-nZzo - Unpacked
https://mega.co.nz/#!PslTRYhC!IQT10f_24a6un3M0ehbEFjlyXucQyDU_8L57HY6gYms - Packed

By request, here is the unpacked version of my latest pack. I've included the packed version link so people don't accidently download the unpacked version which will work fine but much higher load times. The unpacked link is for people who want to modify it and/or add to it.

Potentially last version for awhile due to lovely internet.

Hey, Tai. Any chance you could include a list of the included dependencies? It defeats the purpose of the dat-packing if I wind up adding dependencies for something else that are already in the pack.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Opals25 posted:

I want this beautiful region :stare:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

kinnas posted:

I too have some really ugly trees since upgrading to Tai's pack, and not only are they way greener than the ones in your screen they are also HUGE and cover up all the houses.

Thanks for the unpacked version Tai, goodbye load times.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Hey, Tai. Any chance you could include a list of the included dependencies? It defeats the purpose of the dat-packing if I wind up adding dependencies for something else that are already in the pack.

Never kept a list sorry. It probably has most of the major stuff. You could download the unpacked version. I always install there first to check for these kind of things.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

Poizen Jam posted:

I want this beautiful region :stare:

It's a customized version of this map.

I got rid of plots that were just unusable mountains and rearranged the large city plots to fit where I wanted to put major cities better.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tai posted:

Never kept a list sorry. It probably has most of the major stuff. You could download the unpacked version. I always install there first to check for these kind of things.

How do I pack stuff? I think I'll just customize your unpacked version and repack it for loading times.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

Subyng posted:

I too have some really ugly trees since upgrading to Tai's pack, and not only are they way greener than the ones in your screen they are also HUGE and cover up all the houses.

Thanks for the unpacked version Tai, goodbye load times.

Somewhere in a state of quantum flux there is a probabilistic future where an insane man might have taken a long weekend to replace all those trees in all those lots with some less irritating versions. Because insane men demand perfection from their pretty town screenshot painting program.

Probably not though. Maybe if it turns out there's only a reasonably small set of them that would need changing.

Have I stared too long into the abyss? Has it stared back?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It wouldn't even be that hard- just override the trees with whatever kind you want, and any lot that uses that prop will change. I mean, you'll have a misnamed prop, but if your only concern is stopping BC Redwoods from popping up in the backyard of 16x16 lots it'd work.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I tinkered around a bit and realized I had an outdated version of those trees and the ones in Tai's pack are actually much more agreeable.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 28, 2015

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

kinnas posted:

I tinkered around a bit and realized I had an outdated version of those trees and the ones in Tai's pack are actually much more agreeable.

Exactly which file?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

Also, I'm getting these weird trains:

Anyone (Tai, since it's your pack) recognize the problem mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I am curious why modders felt the need to add new trees to the game and why so many are garish too-large green monstrosities. What is the thought process there? "Hurr... trees are green... :downs:"

The trees that came with the game were just fine as decoration.

• Locked thread