Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Rebochan posted:

I met her last year at GDC and expressed my gratitude to her for continuing to soldier on. She's a very tiny person in real life, and she was surprisingly meek. Found out later I met her AFTER she'd been informed her presence at the event had triggered bomb threats (apparently gamers think threatening to kill game developers will make game developers more likely to treat them as the sane, rational alternative). And this was BEFORE Gamergate.

One of my colleagues at my job was making Reddit jokes and asking what it felt like to wipe the slime off my hands :smithicide: I did indeed just post this to my wall to pre-emptively shut up the next jackhole hurr-hurring about "OMG $160,000!"

I always wanted to write some kind of critique of the videos, but ever since GramerGrate I don't want to make a target out of myself again (already had one incident of stalking related to it.) I also kinda realized I can do more by just existing in this industry and not being a colossal shithead (about games.)

I have no clue what your gender is but that sucks people will stalk you.

also it sounds like you work in the gaming industry, i do wonder what are people on the inside feel about this drama in the last year outside of internet celebrities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I don't like to bring up my job too much, so I don't really participate in gaming threads or discussion at all here.

As for in the industry, I have to admit I don't talk to a lot of people about it at work - we all knew about it though and one of my other (female) co-workers was furious to find out about the stalking incident. I tended to find out more from keeping in touch with old co-workers and contacts - some of whom were ALSO harassed by GamerGate. The :smithicide: guy went over the top with GamerGate, even after I told him what happened to me, and there were definitely some game devs that seemed to want to take that mantle up to my eternal shame. I lost one professional relationship over it because he decided to make the issue of WOMEN RUINING MY INDUSTRY into his hill to die on. In that case, I wasn't terribly sad about that one. The general mood I got from the people I spoke with felt rather strongly against the movement since yea, whatever they claimed the movement was, the practical effect was simply random people in the industry fearing for their safety. Actually, it's very telling that most of the industry people speaking out against it publically were people like Tim Schafer that ran his own company or Anthony Burch who have some real job security behind them. Rank and file, it's always dicey to speak up on any controversy since our jobs are transitory as it is and we all know of some guy at some point that got fired for a twitter post. After the stalking incident, I got a lot more careful about it for awhile.

Most of the industry just saw the drat thing as a blight the longer it ran on. To stay a little close to this thread's purview of internet video producers, Anita Sarkeesian is polarizing here much as she is on the net at large, though I have noticed most game devs are at least willing to consider the treatment of women an actual PROBLEM even if they aren't on board with Feminist Frequency. And her presence has forced people to actually talk about it more, whether they agree with her or not. I admire her for not standing down in the middle of some unfathomable hatred - none of which is coming from us, because not one of us thinks she deserves to get chased out of her house. And don't get me started on an indie dev like Zoe Quinn who really did just become herself vs. the internet with no recourse.

Truth is, there's a lot of money to be made on women WANTING to play video games. A lot of things like what's shown up in the Tropes vs Women videos happen simply because nobody asked a simple question in the development process like "Hey... do you really think it's a good idea to use a dead prostitute as a door stop?" So devs watch Feminist Frequency and talk and argue about it because it's kind of shocking how much basic questions don't get asked because "that's just how we've always done it." And since most game devs are not actual terrible people, they will try to fix a problem when it is pointed out to them. I think the game industry is frankly better positioned to deal with it's issues with women, race, and the LGBTQ community because we don't really have this entrenched permanent power structure like, say, Hollywood. Hell, I met Anita because last year's GDC introduced a series of free "advocacy" panels that anyone with even a basic pass could attend and I bumped into her outside the #1ReasonToBe panel. They were always full or close to it - most people in the industry recognize a problem and the track wouldn't even exist if there weren't a lot of game devs wanting things to be better.

So that's my little game dev peek into GrableGrabe.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Ghostpilot posted:

Nice find! My mother's a huge Western aficionado, I should ask he if she's seen this one the next time I visit.

I was a fan of Ennio Morricone's scores even before I knew who he was back when I was a kid. I rediscovered my love for his work when L'Arena was used in Kill Bill volume 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFVxlisWFM

Beat No.3 from Teorema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ypiiieayaw

And finally, Lilly and Frank from In the Line of Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3inQ64Vv5Uk

Morricone is one of the winners of the dreaded Lifetime Achievement Oscar for Getting Screwed in the Real Oscars. I picked The Man With The Harmonica and Il Triello for the soundtrack of this episode as an attempt to show off the extent of his work in westerns: everybody knows The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and The Ecstasy of Gold from the same film is almost as famous.

A Pistol for Ringo was popular enough to spawn a sequel, so if your mom enjoys Italian westerns, she might have seen it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

This is good insight into it, thanks for this

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Vicas posted:

This is good insight into it, thanks for this

Ya, it nice to see the gaming devs while not perfect are not as insane as the internet gaming community from twitter, reddit, exc.

I was always curius about how devs felt about this for a long time, thank you Rebochan for talking about it.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

You're welcome. I've always been a weird game dev in that FF is literally the only gaming related "show" I watch, but more because I dumped Kickstarter money into it and it's been rather influential. I'm odd in that I don't like to watch gamer-centric game review shows and even Extra Credits started to wear on me. But most game devs I know do watch game-related internet shows and there was kind of a big deal at my last studio when TotalBiscuit liked one of our games (this is before I learned he is an awful person and no one should listen to him.) But enough GamerChat.

Just caught up to Half in the Bag and I... will go against the grain and still find endless jokes about Boyhood funny. But less because of the film itself and more because I kind of expected this when I saw it got all those Oscar nods and wanted to see them have another shot at it (I assume there will be one more round when it wins/doesn't win Oscars).

I don't watch RLM as much these days, though I did find a co-worker that does. I can understand why some of you guys have found the increasing angry cynicism off-putting, I just think my heart is a shriveled husk now.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I feel really bad for Anita. She and I may have differing opinions on videogames, (Zelda is actually able to help herself at some points, like at the end of Windwaker) but I respect her as a person. In fact, I respect her even more for being so strong during all of this harassment. I think I would've just broken down in tears and quit after the third rape threat. It's kind of hosed up how these people make a sort of "tabloid star" out of her when she's just making normal videos.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Frankly, I feel like a series that talked about these kinds of games in depth, like a round table, would add a lot of the missing nuance and frankly produce a better analysis of where the games succeed and fail and ways they can improve.

But way, WAY too many people just take the minor criticism in her videos as code for "MIYAMOTO IS A TOOL OF THE PATRIARCHY!"

Speaking of, apparently I missed in those reports that she announced two more series that seem to specifically target her critics - one on the representation of men and masculinity in games and one about positive female characters.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I kind of funny how the people who hate her created her to be as big as it is, yes there would be youtube shitheads being mad at her, but youtube comments are poo poo for everyone, but the venom she got from 4chan and reddit created her fame, if it wasn't she just be another blip on the radar.

the internet have changed since i join, it almost feels like when the west was starting to lose it wildness. hell it the plot to tombstone, gamergate is the cowboy gang of that movie.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Cyron posted:

I kind of funny how the people who hate her created her to be as big as it is, yes there would be youtube shitheads being mad at her, but youtube comments are poo poo for everyone, but the venom she got from 4chan and reddit created her fame, if it wasn't she just be another blip on the radar.

the internet have changed since i join, it almost feels like when the west was starting to lose it wildness. hell it the plot to tombstone, gamergate is the cowboy gang of that movie.
So if Anna is Wyatt, who'd be Doc?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Benny the Snake posted:

So if Anna is Wyatt, who'd be Doc?

I would say jim sterrling, he fit into the bizarre mold. just replace boose with a dildo collecting fetish.

god i want to watch tombstone again.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Cyron posted:

I would say jim sterrling, he fit into the bizarre mold. just replace boose with a dildo collecting fetish.

god i want to watch tombstone again.
You're a daisy if you do :ocelot:

EDIT: It's on Netflix streaming, I think. It's a bit melodramatic for my taste in Westerns. I like 'em gritty like Unforgiven or 3:10 to Yuma

*Western discussion derail*

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 27, 2015

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm surprised that no one's produced a Gamergate as Fight Club or Ron Weasley, Gamergater skit yet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm surprised that no one's produced a Gamergate as Fight Club or Ron Weasley, Gamergater skit yet.

Folding Ideas basically did this. It's a good video: http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/s4e8-fight-club/

Rebochan posted:

Just caught up to Half in the Bag and I... will go against the grain and still find endless jokes about Boyhood funny. But less because of the film itself and more because I kind of expected this when I saw it got all those Oscar nods and wanted to see them have another shot at it (I assume there will be one more round when it wins/doesn't win Oscars).

Yeah, Best of The Worst is the better show now. But I totally get being burned and burned out and cynical on mainstream anything (After last night WWE just isn't for me anymore, I have to start watching other companies.) I think it was someone in a thread in the movie board that said Major film making is now down to a mathematical science on what works and what doesn't, leading to everything being the same.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 27, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Rebochan posted:

I... will go against the grain and still find endless jokes about Boyhood funny.

Did you know it took twelve years to make?

(That's like eleven years, but more!)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Holy poo poo, I think Mike J has found the most worthless kitchen tool ever: a dedicated banana slicer. :psyduck:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 27, 2015

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I used to love The Simpsons, and now I can't get enough of the Worst Episode Ever podcast.

http://www.weepodcast.com/

They've only done 15 episodes, and they've already found one they hated more than both the Lady Gaga and jockey trolls episodes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, The Simpsons seasons 10+ had plenty of awful episodes, but I always find nerd rage around how it's not good as it used to be to be remarkably grating. Even when compared to other nerd ragey things.

I always see a pattern emerge when people talk about The Simpsons.
1. People talk about an awful episode and point out it's bad.
2. People try then go after a polarizing episode with its fair share of defenders.
3. People then try to trace the problem "all the way back" to the one episode that started the trend. And they use their magic hindsight powers to say some legit classic episode from seasons 3-8 was actually bad.

Principal and the Pauper is category 2. But it's still a great episode. :colbert:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I find them much more likable than the guys who run stuff like Dead Homers Society, where you wonder why they didn't quit watching years ago. They really try to find the good things in every episode, and have even liked a few of the episodes they've covered. They also haven't watched regularly in a long time, so they haven't actually seen most of the episodes before they watch them for the podcast.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hey, I've been archive binging your stuff, and I gotta ask, where the hell do you find this poo poo? How does one stumble onto Still Flowin The Movie? Like, do you just go to the YouTube search bar and type "make me hurt"?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

lornekates posted:

Did you know it took twelve years to make?

I think my favorite part was Jay getting bleeped when he tried to point out how the Up series has been running since the 60s...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

BigRed0427 posted:

(After last night WWE just isn't for me anymore, I have to start watching other companies.)

Not to start a huge derail but what the hell happened with WWE the other night? I keep hearing people refer to it in grave tones on Twitter and elsewhere but I can't figure out what exactly happened. :confused:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

dijon du jour posted:

Not to start a huge derail but what the hell happened with WWE the other night? I keep hearing people refer to it in grave tones on Twitter and elsewhere but I can't figure out what exactly happened. :confused:

Last Sunday was probably the worst Royal Rumble Match the WWE ever did, and usually the Rumble is fun as hell even if the winner sucks. It was just this huge heap of bullshit where nobody looked good (Which, with the exception of a few wrestlers, has been a problem FOR YEARS in the WWE), not even the guy who won it: Roman Reigns. Him winning is whole other can of worms because he has been in the WWE for about three years and is still green as hell.

Edit: The WWE also has this issue the past few years when a big show or match is all set and coming up, they will just go into cruise control and do whatever instead of actually put effort into getting the crowd to care about the match. That happened last night I feel. It's clear that Roman is THE NEXT BIG GUY int he WWE but the WWE are doing very little actually make me care about it.

Edit: I guess the best way to say it is that for the past few years the people running the WWE are just doing what ever they want with no regard to what their crowds actually want. And when challenged as to why crowds throw poo poo back in their faces their response is basically "It's just the internet smark crowd who will not be happy no matter what we do" With the subtext to that being they don't matter.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 27, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Monkey Man posted:

I find them much more likable than the guys who run stuff like Dead Homers Society, where you wonder why they didn't quit watching years ago. They really try to find the good things in every episode, and have even liked a few of the episodes they've covered. They also haven't watched regularly in a long time, so they haven't actually seen most of the episodes before they watch them for the podcast.

Yea I like WEE a lot because they go into the episodes genuinely trying to see what's good in it so it's not just "THIS IS NEW THEREFOR BAD". It helps that for most of them they legitimately haven't seen it (see unlike idiots like me when they realized like 10 seasons ago poo poo was getting bad they just stopped watching!) so there's a factor of 'ok I've never seen this before, let's see what it does for me'.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I like WEE a lot because they go into the episodes genuinely trying to see what's good in it so it's not just "THIS IS NEW THEREFOR BAD". It helps that for most of them they legitimately haven't seen it (see unlike idiots like me when they realized like 10 seasons ago poo poo was getting bad they just stopped watching!) so there's a factor of 'ok I've never seen this before, let's see what it does for me'.

I do agree that this is a good review show. funny enough i do find a better fondness for the Patriot act episode since there is some good jooks in the hamfisted political humor at times. I do love that joke about the real prisoners.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Thanks for the rec, I'm listening to it now. I pretty much stopped watching the Simpsons entirely in the early 2000s, though I've watched YouTube clips of some of their guest artist couch gags (which are probably more entertaining than the episodes they're attached to.) Aside from that, I watched the movie, really enjoyed it, then tried to not watch anything else after it to retain the good humor I had. Broke that rule when Marcia Wallace passed away. I went back and watched the "Nedna" episode and found myself surprised I enjoyed it, but I realized it was because it had some respect for the characters and had something more to do with Ned than be a really tired worn stereotype and Edna being a quick punchline. I rewatched the classic episode where Bart maintains a ruse from a personal ad and it had a similar tone of being aware of how funny someone that desperate can be while still caring enough about her that it made you sympathetic to her loneliness.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Yeah, in the 90s, the Simpsons characters felt more like actual people, living in a crazy place. Now they feel like cartoon characters living in a crazzzzzy cartoon world. Homer is pretty much an entirely different character now.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Also, the Royal Rumble was held in Philly, and Philly crowds are very "smart" and loudly boo when they don't like the booking.

WEE have said that they will be covering the Family Guy crossover eventually even though it wasn't a Simpsons episode.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

DStecks posted:

Hey, I've been archive binging your stuff, and I gotta ask, where the hell do you find this poo poo? How does one stumble onto Still Flowin The Movie? Like, do you just go to the YouTube search bar and type "make me hurt"?

I decided I wanted to watch a movie from Australia and went to a blog that talks about Australian cult films, which mentioned Still Flowin The Movie.

I usually get the rest of my movies by putting some sort of keyword into Youtube or the Internet Archive and seeing what comes up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Angry Video Game Nerd movie is up on YouTube. But it's only for rent. Costs me about $6.49 to watch, anyone else?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The Angry Video Game Nerd movie is up on YouTube. But it's only for rent. Costs me about $6.49 to watch, anyone else?

5 bucks here and I can think of literally hundreds of things better to do with 5 bucks.

Patton Oswalt is a fan of Plinkett.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/patton-oswalt-silver-screen-fiend-interview?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_135942157

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

And Boyhood :unsmigghh:

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rebochan posted:

And Boyhood :unsmigghh:

Yeah I laughed pretty hard when I got to that part.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Basically the single dumbest response anyone can have to a review of something is to go "how DARE you (like/not like) this thing that I (didn't like/liked)!!! I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED AT THIS FOR SOME REASON!" And the people who post comments like that deserve to be tormented. Which is why, even though I really enjoyed Boyhood, I hope Mike & Jay keep right on needling it until they run out of jokes.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

dijon du jour posted:

There was a great summary of the whole situation on MightyGodKing the other day.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Oh my god, I didn't even know Cheapskate did Still Flowin! (Released when I was overseas and had sporadic internet.) I found out about the glories of RAED several years ago, when a video of his was posted on Something Awful, and I still maintain that "I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE" (the actual title) is the worst song of all time. There are songs that are possibly more annoying, but in terms of musical skill and general all-round quality, it truly is worse than anything else I've ever heard or witnessed before. I've mentioned this to people who didn't believe me, until I played it for them. In a sense, I'm exceptionally glad that he exists, because it's really nice to be able to definitively, confidently say that something truly is the worst.

I had no idea RAED was a stalker. That's hilarious. God, Raed is a gift from god. He really is the Tommy Wiseau/Sam Mraovich/Chris-Chan of music.
Oh no....Raed was in a church at some point in this movie. That's giving me terrible Ben and Arthur flashbacks. I decided not to watch the film myself, as...well, I knew it would be terrible. And i'm glad to see that it delivered, by being probably more terrible than Ben and Arthur. Amazing.

AHAHAHA, SCHAPELLE CORBY. I just....I don't even know what to say. But if he is seriously mentally ill, then I feel a bit bad for laughing at him. Excellent review and I'm sorry I missed it before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slate Action posted:

Basically the single dumbest response anyone can have to a review of something is to go "how DARE you (like/not like) this thing that I (didn't like/liked)!!! I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED AT THIS FOR SOME REASON!" And the people who post comments like that deserve to be tormented. Which is why, even though I really enjoyed Boyhood, I hope Mike & Jay keep right on needling it until they run out of jokes.

Yea basically. I think Boyhood is a good movie, not Oscar good but for sure a good movie. That said Mike and Jay just never letting up in their absolute hate of it is really fuckin funny so rock on Mike and Jay.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Infamous Sphere, did you ever do "Boys Don't Cry" on your show yet?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Now we just countdown till we get Patton on Best of the Worst :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea basically. I think Boyhood is a good movie, not Oscar good but for sure a good movie. That said Mike and Jay just never letting up in their absolute hate of it is really fuckin funny so rock on Mike and Jay.

Why do they hate it so much? The original review boiled down to it being a neat gimmick that turned out boring. Did their fans jump down their throats about it or something? Or are they just infuriated that other people like it?

• Locked thread