Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How involved with cargo and cargo systems is an engineer on a tanker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Not really. Mates do the transfer. You might have to start up the IGS or a powerpack or something but the pumpman usually takes care of deck equipment otherwise. Might have to help him pull cracked steam valves if he is retarded. What are you looking at? Chevron is pretty much the only tanker company I would work for. I have some friends at Seariver but there's no real future there. I am not a fan of OSG and a lot of my friends work ATC. I know one person still at Polar but I haven't talked to her in 5 years so I dunno.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Not really. Mates do the transfer. You might have to start up the IGS or a powerpack or something but the pumpman usually takes care of deck equipment otherwise. Might have to help him pull cracked steam valves if he is retarded. What are you looking at? Chevron is pretty much the only tanker company I would work for. I have some friends at Seariver but there's no real future there. I am not a fan of OSG and a lot of my friends work ATC. I know one person still at Polar but I haven't talked to her in 5 years so I dunno.

I was mostly just curious, we have a lot of liquid cargo ops down in the engine room on OSVs but our little mini-tankers leave it to the mates so I was wondering how it is on the actual tankers.

There's talk about giving it to the deck side on some of the large OSVs which would be really nice.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

shovelbum posted:

I was mostly just curious, we have a lot of liquid cargo ops down in the engine room on OSVs but our little mini-tankers leave it to the mates so I was wondering how it is on the actual tankers.

There's talk about giving it to the deck side on some of the large OSVs which would be really nice.

Deck does all the bulk liquid transfers on the all the OSV I've ever been on. Works out well you've got two on the bridge anyway for hose work alongside so one is driving or on the desk the other is using the UMS computer.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Only thing we do is line up Framo powerpacks, give them steam on deck if they need it. On smaller vessels like the bunker barge I'm on now, engineers drive the hose crane.

Pump room style tankers loving suck, give me Framos any day.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

pazrs posted:

Only thing we do is line up Framo powerpacks, give them steam on deck if they need it. On smaller vessels like the bunker barge I'm on now, engineers drive the hose crane.

Pump room style tankers loving suck, give me Framos any day.

Why is this? From a coast guard inspection standpoint, I like deep well pumps just so I don't have to walk my rear end all the way down to the bottom of the pump room and make sure a marine chemist is there to make it safe for entry.

Also why I like to see a free fall lifeboat instead of davit-launch...means we don't have to lower it and risk someone not doing it properly. I've seen too many of those get busted up from guys too nervous about dropping it in front of us.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

Deck does all the bulk liquid transfers on the all the OSV I've ever been on. Works out well you've got two on the bridge anyway for hose work alongside so one is driving or on the desk the other is using the UMS computer.

That's interesting, it seems like here a mate is strictly a boat driver to the end.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

nwin posted:

Why is this? From a coast guard inspection standpoint, I like deep well pumps just so I don't have to walk my rear end all the way down to the bottom of the pump room and make sure a marine chemist is there to make it safe for entry.

Bulkhead bearings are a pain. They tend to have quite long shafts that can whip and the bearings fail more often than they should. A bulkhead bearing on its way out makes a terrible noise throughout the whole superstructure. Access and gas freeing is always a concern. There's so many pipes in your way if you have to demount a pump you need about 80 tirfors to move it in different directions. The temperature monitoring can be unreliable and we have to climb around the pump room with an IR thermometer during cargo.

I've never worked on Shinko's but apparently they are a pretty amazingly robust piece of equipment.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

shovelbum posted:

That's interesting, it seems like here a mate is strictly a boat driver to the end.

I've only worked for two companies in this one region (offshore Newfoundland) so it's probably a regional thing. All our valves and poo poo are operated remote as well (not sure if this is standard these days) so it might also be different if you have to be swinging valves manually down below during ops. On tankers deck always controlled cargo ops as well, worked up north supply those early warning radar sites and it was all handled on our end. Engineers used to take the boat and go for a fish during the longer pump times :)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've never heard of a tanker where the engineers handled cargo, beyond stopping and starting poo poo as requested.

Some boats I've been on the engineers would handle ballast, because we had no valves on deck or remote operations. We'd still tell them what to pump when.

OSV's are weird.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

I've never heard of a tanker where the engineers handled cargo, beyond stopping and starting poo poo as requested.

Some boats I've been on the engineers would handle ballast, because we had no valves on deck or remote operations. We'd still tell them what to pump when.

OSV's are weird.

Almost always it's due to the age of the ship. Anything modern the mates ballast and run cargo. Almost all the ships from that age are gone now.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
We'll occasionally have an engineer from MSC roll in and get confused that they're not doing cargo, but that's the only place I've heard of that has their engineers handling it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Almost always it's due to the age of the ship. Anything modern the mates ballast and run cargo. Almost all the ships from that age are gone now.

Yeah, they can physically do it almost all from the bridge (there are some manual isolation valves) and sometimes an engineer will actually be manning that console up there especially for barite.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well they moved chiefs back to watch standing, got rid of all deckhands, I am now second assistant/offshore rigger.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
West Coast ports all shut down on Monday.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Noice

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Looks like they're just suspending vessel operations on monday

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I'm starting to get a bit worried about the oil price. The North Sea market is poo poo, and my company has just suspended the possibility of cashing out accrued leave days. If the price stays depressed for years we could be in for a world of hurt.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Per posted:

I'm starting to get a bit worried about the oil price. The North Sea market is poo poo, and my company has just suspended the possibility of cashing out accrued leave days. If the price stays depressed for years we could be in for a world of hurt.

We've lost 401k match and all taken 5-20% cuts to day rate along with a lot of layoffs here in the gulf. Cooking for ourselves and general manning reductions all over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I was trying to get into the aussie offshore industry. I started trying right as the oil price crashed. Oh well, I'm working on the ferries at the moment earning comparable money to my last job and I'm home every night. I call that a win.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, I was trying to get into the aussie offshore industry. I started trying right as the oil price crashed. Oh well, I'm working on the ferries at the moment earning comparable money to my last job and I'm home every night. I call that a win.

Is that the Sydney ferries? Do you have to sign up with the MUA instead of the AIMPE for that?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If oil stays cheap, what do you all think will become more popular? Doesn't it reduce transport costs, thus encouraging more transport?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Transport costs are a tiny, tiny part of the cost of consumer goods. Oil is about half the cost of sea transportation (except container ships at full speed, those fuckers are thirsty)

Shipping markets (except the large tanker market) are not doing too good right now, because the price of bulk materials are poo poo. Iron ore and coal are low as gently caress, nobody's going to move that poo poo until it picks up, so there's no demand for bulkers. We're talking cape size bulkers going for $9,000/day plus fuel.

Tankers are picking up because people are chartering them to use as storage space for all that cheap oil they're stockpiling.

Container ships gonna containers. If demand increase, maybe they'll stop slow steaming (lol no they won't because it won't)

So no, the cheap price of oil won't have a huge impact on shipping and what gets shipped. Maybe it'll keep rates a bit lower.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Lower freight rates, box companies might actually start making money. Fuel is over 70% of the cost of running a container ship. There is also a huge amount of overcapacity so there's a long way to go before profitability.

I have no idea what will happen with oil. Shale oil requires a price around 70$. There will be a lot of consolidation and stuff there. Otherwise who knows what's going to happen with the world economy. People that have a better idea than I do are saying to expect low prices for an extended period though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Lower freight rates, box companies might actually start making money. Fuel is over 70% of the cost of running a container ship. There is also a huge amount of overcapacity so there's a long way to go before profitability.

They've got a lot of leeway when it comes to slowing down though, that'll cut down on your fuel consumption real quick. Also mitigates overcapacity somewhat but ah... Yeah everything is overcapacity right now. And Chinese yards aren't exactly shutting down yet so it's gonna get worst before it gets better, as far as freight rates go anyway.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
They have already slowed down. There's not much point in slowing down further when the oil price drops. Slow steaming means you need more ships to keep a regular schedule so it's a tradeoff between more ships or more fuel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

StopShootingMe posted:

Is that the Sydney ferries? Do you have to sign up with the MUA instead of the AIMPE for that?

No, I live in Auckland.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Which ferries? Cook Strait, or does Auckland have a service?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah auckland-great barrier island at the moment

it's a mark of just how bad the cruise industry pays that a lovely little ferry with 5 crew pays me within a stone's throw of what my last job paid

that and i'm home every single night even if i do have early starts

4 days on 3 days off

i genuinely feel like i'm living the loving dream

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Nice, I'm about to start a six month shore secondment. I'll be getting tanker second mate wages to work 9-5 Monday to Friday in Melbourne. It's not my home port and the company apparently can't afford to pay my food and accommodation, so I'll be out of pocket, but I'm really looking forward to the change. Melbourne is one of my favourite cities. Great food, lots to do. poo poo weather. Looking for a studio apartment around the CBD.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

Nice, I'm about to start a six month shore secondment. I'll be getting tanker second mate wages to work 9-5 Monday to Friday in Melbourne. It's not my home port and the company apparently can't afford to pay my food and accommodation, so I'll be out of pocket, but I'm really looking forward to the change. Melbourne is one of my favourite cities. Great food, lots to do. poo poo weather. Looking for a studio apartment around the CBD.

I'm a Melbourne home porter, you forgot to mention the coffee.

P.S. If you come down to our ship with a clipboard there's a goon policy you bring a six pack.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Are you with TOLL or the SPOTs? :)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I was on a DP Vessel yesterday that got caught in a Gulf of mexico loop current (5 knots or so?). Pretty crazy. Cool thread

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

Are you with TOLL or the SPOTs? :)

Nah no Tassie Taxis for me! (There is Searoad too). I'm on PPB's only bunker vessel.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
How badly can seasickness affect people? Do you ever get people on a ship for their first time who flat-out can't function?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

JohnSherman posted:

How badly can seasickness affect people? Do you ever get people on a ship for their first time who flat-out can't function?

I've been on two ships going to the Gulf of Alaska, both in the winter, both around 500-600'. Did 60 days on a tanker as 3rd and 12 days on a box boat inventorying parts. On the tanker, anytime we were in the Gulf I was very seasick. I usually find something to do where I can throw up easily like on the tank top so I can hit the bilge. I don't really eat and just go to sleep when I'm not working. For the most part I can handle things alright but there was one really bad day where the 1st sent me up around 1600 and took my duty.

The 1st and the 2nd laughed at me and then told me they had every piece of seasickness prevention they could find, pressure bracelets, pills, ginger, whatever, and they still managed to get a little queasy so I don't really feel bad.

Box boat wasn't as bad, the roll was much, much better. I had several days where instead of eating I skipped meals and took a nap as I was working for a flat rate and we were working 15+ hour days. Sleeping makes me feel much better and I only had one or two really bad days and one of them was due to being stuck in one little area of the steering gear that amplified the motion and made it really horrible.

Other than that, on a 700-1000' containership you really don't feel much. I tend to get a little seasick leaving Dubai but nothing major. On the K class I didn't even need to stop deadlifting or squatting the whole trip. We were supposed to run into "weather" in the Atlantic but it was nothing and the captain put the fins out and the roll stopped.

Basically I can work through it at around 60-75%. Take seasickness pills before you think you will need them, after going an extended period without food I will eat something right before bed, you can actually feel much worse if you don't eat anything. I also make sure to avoid the Gulf of Alaska in the winter and tankers from now on.

I don't known about flat out can't function, as an officer it's not like I can not show up to work. As an engineer there is always too much to do without the time, parts or people so taking a day off doesn't really feel possible to me. I will slow down or just focus on getting the most important things I need to do for the operation of the ship sometimes but I dunno about not functioning at all. You are there as a team and you need to try and support each other as best you can.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 24, 2015

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If the engineer has the day off sick who will make load plans, drag hoses, ballast the boat, circulate mud, or work on deck I mean come on.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

shovelbum posted:

If the engineer has the day off sick who will make load plans, drag hoses, ballast the boat, circulate mud, or work on deck I mean come on.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FUB Humour.

• Locked thread