Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
strongest z fighter
This poll is closed.
goku 71 18.39%
vegeta 43 11.14%
gohan 37 9.59%
hercule 235 60.88%
Total: 386 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

gently caress...do I read it now or wait for the anime...

read it duh

also read maoyuu maou yuusha because apparently it's gotten new scanlators and it's wayyyyy behind so there's probably like two dozen chapters to be scanlated, which is great!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Maoyuu-Maou-Yuusha-Be-mine-Hero-I-refuse

What if you injected real world socioeconomics, technological progress, and the side effects of war and suffering into your textbook Dragon Quest-style JRPG world? You get Maoyuu, which is fuckin' fantastic

It's jam-packed full of fanservice because it's drawn by a cheesecake artist, and the artwork starts out a little rough, but it dramatically improves as the series progresses. Some of the character designs such as Archduke Fire Dragon and his daughter are outstanding.

I'd post example pictures of them but apparently there's nothing on google except the garbage designs from the anime which was apparently really bland and bad compared to the manga.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked the first little bit of maoyuu but when he got to the demon world it was kinda boring because it was a lot of demon king sitting around going :( while hero wandered around the demon world doing things that weren't planting potatoes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should probably pick it up again because a ridiculous amount of poo poo hit the fan since that stuff

Someone found blueprints for guns in some mystical library, and now rifles have been introduced to this fantasy world of magic and fairies. I'm wagering things are going to get really ugly

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 26, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love the demon queen's giga hooters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

You should probably pick it up again because a ridiculous amount of poo poo hit the fan since that stuff

Someone found blueprints for guns in some mystical library, and now rifles have been introduced to this fantasy world of magic and fairies. I'm wagering things are going to get really ugly
does it ever get back to the potatoes and poo poo

i dont really care about poo poo hitting the fan i just like spice and wolf stuff about farming and trading

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I love the demon queen's giga hooters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

does it ever get back to the potatoes and poo poo

i dont really care about poo poo hitting the fan i just like spice and wolf stuff about farming and trading
Yeah, maybe not potatoes exactly, but definitely the consequences of war, the cleanup, and such are a major part of it all, even the gun stuff has been expounded upon in terms of construction time versus quality, etc.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'm not good at consistently following ongoing manga, so chances are I won't get through Mayouu until people tell me it's over. What I saw/read was interesting though.

Admittedly, the anime tends to get some criticism for its different designs, but I thought its main problem was just a simple lack of time.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i wouldnt say they ruin it but they are really out of place and dont fit the tone of the show at all. i just want tanabe and hachimaki to be happy

For the most part, I don't agree with that. There is indeed a shift in tone with some scenes that can be hard to watch, but I think it matches the changing circumstances that the Planetes characters are experiencing. It's not a sudden process and there is also some precedent for it earlier in the show. Besides, I don't think the finale makes them unhappy and it has some great emotional moments.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 26, 2015

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

wielder posted:

For the most part, I don't agree with that. There is indeed a shift in tone with some scenes that can be hard to watch, but I think it matches the changing circumstances that the Planetes characters are experiencing. It's not a sudden process and there is also some precedent for it earlier in the show. Besides, I don't think the finale makes them unhappy and it has some great emotional moments.

It's a show about people, but also people dealing with the consequences of technological growth, so I thought the last half dealing with the gulf between the 1st and 3rd worlds was cool, but also I thought all those characters came across as really sympathetic, so the whole situation was heartbreaking.

The bit in the epilogue with the dude and the moongirl looking back at earth but she can't see the boundaries was top feels for me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think I would like Planetes as much if it wasnt for its finale.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I was cool with everything except what they did to Tanabe at the end. Yeah I understand how that stuff works, but it still really annoyed me.

E: Also WTH future UN, you suck.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

pentyne posted:

Good news, Cross Ange's brutal shock violence and terrible, terrible misogyny are apparently no big deal because the show gets better

http://kotaku.com/cross-ange-is-an-anime-that-goes-from-abhorrent-to-enjo-1681311672

Lmao kotakuarticles.txt

No, idiot, Cross Ange is actually just a dumb show that's like 60% humiliating and comitting violence against women, 30% flimsy excuses for naked chicks, and 10% giant robot fights and is in fact pretty loving stupid.

The goofy little manga that they put out each week with it that basically has the same storyline of each episode but in a silly high school setting is way better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're not dragons, they're D.R.A.G.O.N.s.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

i didn't know wickedhate wrote for kotaku

I hate Cross Ange AND Kotaku, though. :question:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate anime

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

I hate anime

That was quick.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad I don't care about Cross Ange in any capacity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That was quick.

I've always hated anime

i fooled you all

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love anime, mod.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
because i like it more than you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Beef Waifu posted:

I hate anime

no one answered my question

what exactly is an anime

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
anime means life

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

anime means life

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
life means anime

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Beef Waifu posted:

anime means life

Heaven is 2d

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Here's a helpful site for explainin in depth what anime is

http://www.joysjapanimation.com/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When you win at anime, you win at life.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
according to myanimelist i watched more than 3000 episodes (incl movies and everything) of anime

i guess anime..... is a slice of (my) life

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PotU posted:

according to myanimelist i watched more than 3000 episodes (incl movies and everything) of anime

Powerful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am also in fact a huge fan of the japanime

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

PotU posted:

cut my life into pieces

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

cut my life into pieces
This is my last (hot spring) resort

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

HiveCommander posted:

This is my last (hot spring) resort

Anime is how I fall
Confusing what is real

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3696384

lets make this happen boys and girls

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Aww, anime is losing to no anime.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PotU posted:

only 3000? Heh. :smuggo:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

i liked the first little bit of maoyuu but when he got to the demon world it was kinda boring because it was a lot of demon king sitting around going :( while hero wandered around the demon world doing things that weren't planting potatoes
It sort of became the mask and has been trying to be a genuine fantasy/war story as of late and I think it's mostly pulled it off. There is a fairly interesting subplot though where the merchants are trying to crash the wheat market while propping up the potato one as a means to strike at the enemy, so there are still a decent amount of economic shenanigans going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

what is this, the anime looney tunes

• Locked thread