Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

Madison Jeffries, noted robosexual and ex-member of third-rate cannon fodder Alpha Flight.

Thanks! What's he up to these days?

SalTheBard posted:

I'm really scared about All New Hawkeye only because Hawkeye has been consistently one of my favorite comics of the last 2 years (shipping issues aside)

Lemire is fuckin' great, as mentioned. If you haven't read Sweet Tooth ... why haven't you? It's good, he's good. I haven't read any of his DC stuff though. I've got high hopes and very little fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Lemire is fuckin' great, as mentioned. If you haven't read Sweet Tooth ... why haven't you? It's good, he's good. I haven't read any of his DC stuff though. I've got high hopes and very little fear.

Read his Green Arrow.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Thanks! What's he up to these days?

Not a drat thing, sadly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought Alpha Flight died. (again)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

I thought Alpha Flight died. (again)

That was Omega Flight.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

The Goon posted:

Right right, but in my equally long and storied career of collecting funny books, this is the first time that I can recall where they've officially pronounced the Marvel Universe as ending. Not even Heroes Reborn went that far. Just saying the odds of a reboot are not as improbable as you seem to think.
They officially pronounced that in a story all about Universes Getting Mashed Together that Universes are gonna get Mashed Together. When they get mashed together, it is the end of those universes as we know them (for the duration of the event, maybe not even that.) I don't think this is a permanent thing. I do not think going forward all Marvel comics will take place on Battleworld. This is an equally plausible conclusion to draw from a really credulous reading of their press event.

Of course they make 'official pronouncements' to promote events without a "ehhh, I mean, you know this is just for the event right?" They made official pronouncements about how all the X-Men books were cancelled and now it's the Age of Apocalypse forever but that did not result in a reboot. They said officially that Peter Parker was dead and the Superior Spider-Man will be Spider-Man forever and all of Peter Parker's supporting cast will slowly fade away as the decades progress and one day people will become accustomed to the new cast. It is hyping up an event. I don't know why you keep citing it as some sort of binding legal contract.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 25, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Yeah even after the announcement I'd give it a 50/50 shot at best that an actual reboot goes down. Ultimate is going to get merged, hell all the popular what-ifs might get merged but they'll probably just acknowledge the event merged them for a few years then stop and pretend it was always that way.

Marvel takes pride in not rebooting and just rolling with the big punches believing that it shows how enduring their characters and the universe they created is.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah even after the announcement I'd give it a 50/50 shot at best that an actual reboot goes down.

I'd call it closer to one-in-50. Not impossible but hardly likely. It's an excuse to kill off the pathetic drooling shell of the Ultimate Universe without losing Miles Morales, and maybe consolidate a few other alt-universe things into the main one, with the option of "revealing" other consolidations later as the ideas crop up, and lastly to provide another mythical "jumping-on point" for the entire universe that hopefully a couple hundred people will take advantage of.
Worst case ontario, it's another SIXIS where half the titles get on board right away and the others get around to the new status quo on their own time. Best case, it's a big fun event where ALL the toys are mashed together but it all makes sense in the end and also the X-Men 92 book is rad.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
What I can't get past is this: if Marvel is really about to reboot/relaunch their whole line this fall, why on earth are they launching so many new ongoing books mere months before Secret Wars? (Including, again, a major new Inhumans book launching just one month before SW.)*

I can really only think of two explanations:

A. Marvel is lying about SW and All-New Marvel having been planned well in advance, and the latter is in fact an even more rushed, slapped-together effort than the New 52 was.

B. The new ongoings are collectively an elaborate smokescreen to conceal their plans to relaunch later in the year.

Neither of these scenarios seem particularly plausible to me, somehow, but feel free to disagree.

*Alonso and Brevoort have implied that there will be new ongoings launching during SW (see the last Alonso quote here), which would pretty much kill the notion of any sort of line-wide relaunch right there, but that's not 100% confirmed yet and could just be referring to miniseries, so take that FWIW.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Barry Convex posted:

What I can't get past is this: if Marvel is really about to reboot/relaunch their whole line this fall, why on earth are they launching so many new ongoing books mere months before Secret Wars? (Including, again, a major new Inhumans book launching just one month before SW.)*

I can really only think of two explanations:

A. Marvel is lying about SW and All-New Marvel having been planned well in advance, and the latter is in fact an even more rushed, slapped-together effort than the New 52 was.

B. The new ongoings are collectively an elaborate smokescreen to conceal their plans to relaunch later in the year.

Neither of these scenarios seem particularly plausible to me, somehow, but feel free to disagree.

*Alonso and Brevoort have implied that there will be new ongoings launching during SW (see the last Alonso quote here), which would pretty much kill the notion of any sort of line-wide relaunch right there, but that's not 100% confirmed yet and could just be referring to miniseries, so take that FWIW.

C. It's not a relaunch and Battleworld will exist only to teleport Miles Morales & a few others into 616 and then things will carry on as normal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Putting Miles in 616 is pretty much the same as killing him off.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lurdiak posted:

The slow death of B-listitis is a sad thing to see.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

KayTee posted:

C. It's not a relaunch and Battleworld will exist only to teleport Miles Morales & a few others into 616 and then things will carry on as normal.

Well, yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm saying is the most likely outcome by far.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe with Miles around, Marvel will let Peter get married and have kids because you have your young, single Spider-Man around too!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
There won't be a reboot, but there will be a lot of relaunches and retcons galore, because no matter what Marvel says about never retconning: it's never true. I'm assuming Avengers in particular will get bumped back down to #1, because Marvel can't let a comic go past 30 issues for too long to save their lives anymore. Miles and some of his supporting cast will make it over to 616 for sure.

Really it's just annoying how they're hyping it up to sound like a reboot by saying poo poo like "the Marvel universe as you know it is gone forever." New 52 isn't that much different from Pre-Flashpoint when you really look into it hard enough and I assume Marvel will do something similar.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What if Miles permanently becomes the main Spider-Man?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Miles seems to be on life support as it is, so maybe this would help him.

Though once Bendis is gone yeah he is gonna die the quick death of B-listers, but the Ultimate universe wasn't gonna save him.

Making Miles the teen spiderman and Peter the married one would be neat, but they don't have the stones to do it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe with Miles around, Marvel will let Peter get married and have kids because you have your young, single Spider-Man around too!

BAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha *sob*

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

lotus circle posted:

Really it's just annoying how they're hyping it up to sound like a reboot by saying poo poo like "the Marvel universe as you know it is gone forever." New 52 isn't that much different from Pre-Flashpoint when you really look into it hard enough and I assume Marvel will do something similar.

I don't really understand that. With a few exceptions, they altogether scrapped the vast majority of pre-Flashpoint continuity not tied to the Green Lantern and Batman franchises, and still changed large chunks of the latter. All told, it's probably the most drastic continuity change in DC's history.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

WickedHate posted:

What if Miles permanently becomes the main Spider-Man?

That would suck because the last couple issues of Miles" series have started to catch up in quality with Bendis' other current work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Miles is almost certainly going be relaunched in 616 as Spider-boy. It's pretty much all they're missing at this point.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

and Peter the married one

Did I miss something? Has OMD finally been completely undone?

Rhyno posted:

Miles is almost certainly going be relaunched in 616 as Spider-boy. It's pretty much all they're missing at this point.

They'll probably still give him the title Ultimate Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Making a black character Spider-Man, even in an alternate universe was a fairly progressive move by Marvel. Relegating that character to Spider-Boy would be a shockingly dumb action.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

No reason not to have two Spider-men, like we have two Hawkeyes at the moment. Granted, one of them is Lady Hawkguy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SilverSupernova posted:

Did I miss something? Has OMD finally been completely undone?

Probably not but there's a bit of hope: one of the alternate realities in Battleworld involve Peter married with MJ and with a daughter, he shows up in Spider-verse for a few pages. It could end up being meaningless or maybe he'll replace regular Peter somehow.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Probably not but there's a bit of hope: one of the alternate realities in Battleworld involve Peter married with MJ and with a daughter, he shows up in Spider-verse for a few pages. It could end up being meaningless or maybe he'll replace regular Peter somehow.

Didn't that one die in Spider-Verse or is this another one?

hope and vaseline posted:

No reason not to have two Spider-men, like we have two Hawkeyes at the moment. Granted, one of them is Lady Hawkguy.

I believe you meant to say 3 Hawkeyes

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 25, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Making a black character Spider-Man, even in an alternate universe was a fairly progressive move by Marvel. Relegating that character to Spider-Boy would be a shockingly dumb action.

I suppose so, but even in the imaginary scene Miles assumed he'd be the side-kick.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SilverSupernova posted:

Didn't that one die in Spider-Verse or is this another one?

You're thinking of the father of Spider-Girl. The Renew Your Vows Spidey showed up (still as Spider-Man, as opposed to being retired) alive and well.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Barry Convex posted:

I don't really understand that. With a few exceptions, they altogether scrapped the vast majority of pre-Flashpoint continuity not tied to the Green Lantern and Batman franchises, and still changed large chunks of the latter. All told, it's probably the most drastic continuity change in DC's history.
In terms of history yes, but the actual characters themselves and how they're written in conjunction with that history aren't all that different from Pre-Flashpoint.

Marvel will likely do the same -- change some of the history, but the writing will be more or less the exact same despite that.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
They should honestly just let Hawkeye vs Deadpool (vs. Crime) be an ongoing. It's been the funniest book I've read in a longtime and a good use of all three of the title characters.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'd love to see Duggan and Lolli continue with a collective spinoff of Hawkeye/Deadpool in Superior Hawkeye (feat. Dead pool).

Surprise, Deadpool has rented a new apartment/safe house/vacation condo, and his wacky new neighbor is Hawkeye(s)!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I suppose so, but even in the imaginary scene Miles assumed he'd be the side-kick.

Do you seriously not understand the issue with calling Miles Morales Spider-Boy?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
But what about Spider-Lad?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Walrus posted:

But what about Spider-Lad?

That would be fine, as would Spider-Kid, but look up your loving American History.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Skwirl posted:

That would be fine, as would Spider-Kid, but look up your loving American History.

You're right that it is a racial slur but I think its entered the common vernacular as more of a southern colloquialism than as just purely racist. Also it was used as a racist term against black men, so I don't think a lot of people would jump to the conclusion that its racist because I'd say a fair portion of people still consider teenagers young boys and not men.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It would still be super, super racist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They should just make him white so calling him Spiderboy wouldn't be racist :smug:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Just have Peter be The Amazing Spider-Man and Miles be the Spectacular Spider-Man.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

WickedHate posted:

It would still be super, super racist.

Calling someone who is a boy, a boy, is not inherently racist no matter what color their skin color is.

Calling a black man a boy in order to demean them and suggest that they cannot be men due to the color of their skin is racist.

It has a racist connotation when applied to black people as a racial slur, but changing his title to conform to a literal change in age is not racist. However I can see how people would find it offensive to the character to go from calling him 'man' in one book to 'boy' in another because that's an actual step backwards for the character. To call it a racist move is overreaching given the actual age of the character. If he was 20 yeah I'd probably agree. To my knowledge Miles is like 15 though, so you really gotta stretch to call it racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PaybackJack posted:

Calling someone who is a boy, a boy, is not inherently racist no matter what color their skin color is.

Calling a black man a boy in order to demean them and suggest that they cannot be men due to the color of their skin is racist.

It has a racist connotation when applied to black people as a racial slur, but changing his title to conform to a literal change in age is not racist.

Oh my god, you might as well say it's okay to call black people negro because that just means black in Spanish. Something doesn't magically become unracist because of intent. Miles is old enough that it's definitely not okay. Yeah, it's condascending racist bullshit to call a black teen "boy".

• Locked thread