Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

ive got a dreamcast now and am playing dragonriders of pern

Go hunt down a copy of Grandia II. The DC version's the best, and it's a solid JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

You don't get to give me poo poo about my taste in games anymore. (That game HAS to be better than the source material, right?)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

You don't get to give me poo poo about my taste in games anymore. (That game HAS to be better than the source material, right?)

this very thread told me to play it because it is the "best bad game ever"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

this very thread told me to play it because it is the "best bad game ever"

I'm intrigued now because I don't think anything could ever beat Trespasser.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd say get Skies of Arcadia but you should probably get that on GameCube instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

just rewatched an lp of tresspasser last night. best game ever made. well cya

*bounces 30 feet straight up, lodges mouth inside own hitbox, dies and ragdolls passed a waving woman's torso*

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Illbleed. Illbleed is the best bad game ever. Nothing else even comes close.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Hakkesshu posted:

Illbleed. Illbleed is the best bad game ever. Nothing else even comes close.

This is incorrect because Illbleed is in no way a bad game

Illbleed unironically owns

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah it does, but it owns because it's bad and doesn't give a gently caress. If it actually played like a conventionally "good" game that would ruin everything.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Illbleed's that game Yahtzee mentioned in his NIER review, with a woman who wears nothing but high heels and three bits of masking tape, right?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Codiekitty posted:

Illbleed's that game Yahtzee mentioned in his NIER review, with a woman who wears nothing but high heels and three bits of masking tape, right?

There's a thing in the new game plus where the lead character's clothes get progressively damaged as the game goes on, but that's not why Illbleed is good. It came at a point when the market was getting flooded with bad survival horror cash-ins, and so it presents itself as yet another one and then immediately and deliberately goes off the rails and spends its whole running time trying to gently caress with you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Codiekitty posted:

No this is Illbleed: http://lparchive.org/Illbleed/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erebus posted:

This is incorrect because Illbleed is in no way a bad game

Illbleed unironically owns

Illbleed is a bad game in that the gameplay is legitimately pretty goddamn bad.

It is a remarkably bizarre game that is hilarious but the actual core gameplay is not good.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a what was that RPG request. I believe it wasfor Playstation and it was an RPGand the gimmick was that combat was like side scrolling or something. The other stuff was normal it seems like, anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reason posted:

I've got a what was that RPG request. I believe it wasfor Playstation and it was an RPGand the gimmick was that combat was like side scrolling or something. The other stuff was normal it seems like, anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Sounds like one of the "Tales of" games to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Illbleed at least trivializes its combat by giving you an invincible dodge and an easy way to escape battles (by summoning a helicopter to drop a rope ladder wherever you are. yeah).

Codiekitty posted:

I don't know what Yahtzee said about the game but that character in question is from Nier, not Illbleed.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
What is all this Illbleed talk? People actually like that game?

I remember being super psyched for it because, as was said, every game was being pushed as a Resident Evil clone at that time (hell, I even liked Carrier...). My buddy eventually bought Illbleed and it was the most bizarre game I'd ever played. One thing that I miss about that generation of games is that it felt like there was a lot of experimenting going on, and Illbleed is an example of it. I didn't hate it when I first played it, but I never liked it enough to play through it. I just remember it being balls hard, repetitive, and just an overall rear end in a top hat to play- like it wasn't even fun, just a game that really seemed to take pleasure in making you miserable. Years later I went back and played it; while I found some new appreciation for the game I also found it to be unplayable. Honestly, it has aged horribly. It's basically a great big "gently caress you" to the entire genre, you could probably write a really interesting academic paper on the game, but overall it sucks as a means of entertainment. It's kinda like Manos: The Hands of Fate, the first time you watch it you just can't believe it's that bad, so you rewatch it and find it funny, then you rewatch it some time later and realize that, no, it really is awful. That's Illbleed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go hunt down a copy of Grandia II. The DC version's the best, and it's a solid JRPG.

Do this, you won't regret it. Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia were the games that got me into RPGs. Grandia is super easy to get into, extremely fun, is well written and well voice acted, and tells a pretty interesting story. The story may be a little unoriginal, but I think it's told very well, and in any event the game is so drat fun and cinematic that you probably won't care. Seriously, it has maybe the greatest battle system ever devised for a RPG.

Skies is the more traditional RPG and has a steeper learning curve, but is probably the deeper of the two and the less linear.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpitztheGreat posted:

Skies is the more traditional RPG and has a steeper learning curve, but is probably the deeper of the two and the less linear.

The Gamecube version's worth playing over the Dreamcast version. The music quality's not as good, but the encounter rate's much less harsh.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Do this, you won't regret it. Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia were the games that got me into RPGs. Grandia is super easy to get into, extremely fun, is well written and well voice acted, and tells a pretty interesting story. The story may be a little unoriginal, but I think it's told very well, and in any event the game is drat fun and cinematic that you probably won't care. Seriously, it has maybe the greatest battle system ever devised for a RPG.

I agree with all of this. Just a word of warning that Grandia II is the only good game in that series, so be careful getting your hopes up for the others if that one hooks you.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like one of the "Tales of" games to me.

Thanks looks like it was Tales of Destiny 2!

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Yes, the Gamecube version is considered the better version. But unless you already own a Gamecube it's not better enough to warrant going out and buying an extra system for it. The Dreamcast version is very playable despite it's punishing rate for encounters. A piece of advice though: If you do play the DC version, use a walkthrough for the underwater temple. Oh god, that temple...the encounters are constant and you move so drat slow...it's not a place you want to get lost and end up backtracking through.

Delsaber posted:

I agree with all of this. Just a word of warning that Grandia II is the only good game in that series, so be careful getting your hopes up for the others if that one hooks you.

It's sad how true this is. I haven't played Grandia I yet, but Grandia Extreme and Grandia III were massive let downs. Grandia III could not have been more cookie cutter and uninspired if they had tried. Years later though I can still go back and play Grandia II.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 26, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reason posted:

Just a warning, those games got Final Fantasy'd in the west. Tales of Eternia was rebranded tales of destiny 2, the real tales of destiny 2 never came out of Japan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Delsaber posted:

I'll take the original over the sequel any day. Playing the PS2 version was a little souring (do everything you can to play it on Dreamcast) but the change in tone also threw me off. Moving from Grandia to Grandia 2 felt like going from Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z where the stakes are higher, the villains more direct, and the scenarios more threatening. I really do connect with the carefree, lighthearted tone of some games that much. Like Musashi Legend sucked all the fun out of Brave Fencer even though the original hasn't aged that well.

Reason posted:

Specifically it's Tales of Eternia everywhere else. It was renamed Destiny 2 in America to coincide with the actual Tales of Destiny. For the longest time I was always "wtf" when people online talked about the real Destiny 2 which was a Japanese PS2 release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Just a warning, those games got Final Fantasy'd in the west. Tales of Eternia was rebranded tales of destiny 2, the real tales of destiny 2 never came out of Japan.

Is the PSP version of Tales of Eternia worth getting?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What's so bad about the PS2 version of Grandia II? Does it have horrible load times between every screen or something like that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mycot posted:

What's so bad about the PS2 version of Grandia II? Does it have horrible load times or something like that?

The PS2 and PC versions are various degrees of buggy messes. The PC version's worse off.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Delsaber posted:

The original Grandia is a pretty good game, it's just a 90's JRPG so it's a bit dated, and the game is a bit grindy thanks to all the weapon/magic levels.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'll take the original over the sequel any day. Playing the PS2 version was a little souring (do everything you can to play it on Dreamcast) but the change in tone also threw me off. Moving from Grandia to Grandia 2 felt like going from Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z where the stakes are higher, the villains more direct, and the scenarios more threatening. I really do connect with the carefree, lighthearted tone of some games that much. Like Musashi Legend sucked all the fun out of Brave Fencer even though the original hasn't aged that well.

Grandia II is dark, and it's awesome. 15 year old me totally dug the dark turn the game takes about halfway through, and the game just keeps building upon that until the end. If there is one thing that playing Lunar: SSS really showed me it was just how little patience I have for lighthearted stories. Personally, if I'm spending 30+ hours on a game I want it to have some kick. I forget the line exactly, but Ryudo in Grandia II makes fun of the child champion constantly by calling him "Bubblegum and lollipops", basically a "gently caress you" moment to his notion of childhood adventure.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

mycot posted:

What's so bad about the PS2 version of Grandia II? Does it have horrible load times between every screen or something like that?

From what I recall all of the problems stemmed from a lazy/rushed port, the game was just glitchy and looked unfinished whereas the DC version was crisp and drat near flawless. In retrospect I think the problems they had in porting it over really speak to the lack of quality control that the next two games would more explicitly showcase.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

triplexpac posted:

I'm drawing a blank... what are the action sequences in battle? I just remember it being a standard ATB RPG with mixing of skills.

Ignoring everything from this post on, I mean some random bosses like that blue lizard dude that you have to attack at the right time so as not to get countered, and probably other stuff I dunno I haven't played Chrono Trigger in like a decade.

DC RPGchat: Grandia II is extremely good. The writing goes between saturday morning anime and weirdly dark, but the battle system is really fun and it was decently challenging from what I remember. Skies of Arcadia is also good, but you're better off going for the GC remake, primarily for the random battle decrease.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Grandia II was decently challenging from what I remember.

It's not, in the slightest, especially since everyone's first skill can cancel and becomes instant when (easily) maxed out. Grandia in general is a really easy series though, with 3 being the only one has any actual teeth.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Yea I can't say that I ever found Grandia II challenging, save for one boss towards the very end. Even the final boss can be crippled by a move that one of your characters can unlock very early. But what the game lacks in challenge it more than makes up for in pure fun. There were few things as rewarding as canceling enemy attacks and upgrading your abilities and just wrecking normal enemies. Also, every "save cone" allows you to recover all of your HP, SP, and MP, so you never really worry about being worn down.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I was a kid when I last played it, so of course I just used cool flashy attacks all the time. Either way the battle system is amazing and it sucks it's confined to a dead series.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oroNQXTHdZc this movement is so fluid and good

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's too beautiful for words. It's art.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

I don't know what Yahtzee said about the game but that character in question is from Nier, not Illbleed.

Yeah, but during the credits scene of the video, one of the freeze frame jokes is something like "Actually, anyone who's played Illbleed knows the tape thing has already been done"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ9_Y_uu3kc good voice acting too

they decided to put the tank controls on the joystick, so if you angle it a little bit you run while turning but angle it more and you walk while turning, or just turn, i don't know it's awful and i can't stop laughing at this retarded game

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 26, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The original Grandia is a pretty good game, it's just a 90's JRPG so it's a bit dated, and the game is a bit grindy thanks to all the weapon/magic levels.
I can't get into it because the menu takes 5 seconds to load every time and the battles take a long time to load and changing maps takes a long time to load and loading loading loading

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Grandia 3 is the best JRPG combat system probably ever, tied to an "everything else" that ranges from low-effort and bland to downright stupid. It evens out in my eyes since the combat is just that fun, but I can see why people would hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just read through like the last 50 pages of this thread because it was genuinely interesting and friendly chat, and now I'm wondering if the thread can help me. Though I suspect you can't -- not because of you, because I don't think there's really anything to help me with.

For the past, I dunno, 5 years or so, I haven't really gamed. I have, but not for realsies. The pas 2.5-3 years have been a lot of League of Legends, and I've played Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is maybe the most important thing to ever happen to humanity, and I did a nice stint of iphone gaming a couple of years ago. Just lots of dabbling because at one point I had a life and other hobbies (not anymore, I'm back to being a loving loser).

Anyway, I've been growing tired of online gaming and have slowly taken to emulating again (I can emulate PS2 now which is a new development, finally got to check out God Hand which I heard about on the forums many years ago but I lost interest after fighting the loving Leblanc poo poo with her stupid hearts) because as far as I can tell, video games are pretty trash nowadays, especially if you like JRPGs. Also as far as I can tell, I am a mere pedestrian in this world compared to you folks.

I emulated Chrono Trigger and didn't get very far before my computer crashed last year. Probably close to ten years ago I played FFTA and loving loved it. I think I squeezed in like 1/3 of Mario RPG too (I know, I was the kid with Sega and not SNES). When I was younger and had a PS2/GC, I absolutely loving loved FFX and FFX-2 (and obviously FF7 when I got around to playing it -- and FF12 bored the gently caress out of me mostly) and even though I don't replay games much, have been considering just revisiting those. And even though I don't replay games much, I have beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door like 3 times because it's honestly a loving great game.

Recently I played through about 2/3 of FFVI before my save file got corrupted (I was kind of bored anyway, lots of turbo-ing and pressing A because random encounters are easy and boooooring) and just today I decided, gently caress it, I'm going to make up for lost time and grab Pokemon Ruby because I barely touched Pokemon as a kid. I played Dragon Quest VIII for about 20 minutes on recommendation and honestly have no desire to touch it again, I hated the menu/equip setup and the control scheme (though that part could be remedied easily I guess).

(I'd also like to thank the thread for reminding me of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, and a lesser extent Tales of Vesperia as I had a 360 instead of a PS3, those were probably my last forays into RPGs until recently)

My question is, given that like with all things, I tend to like to skim off the top and only spend time on the cream of the crop (at least as I consider them) and don't really have an interest in grinding out some lovely JRPG just because, are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour? I have heard of a bunch of the games mentioned here but I am just skeptical all around, I kinda feel like you have to be a die-hard enthusiast to enjoy it anymore. Would I be better off just running through FF X-2 or FFTA again after all these years or maybe sticking with Ruby? I think I've just realized that like with all things, the classics are cool but they don't really totally do it for me. I'd also like to mention that I don't mind things being somewhat on the rails, I never got into games like Skyrim because I feel like there is no goddamned point to them and the options are too overwhelming, it's a life simulator almost.

Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the rambling but just trying to give some context into the kind of pleb rear end in a top hat I am here so you know not to tell me to play an obscure lovely game that barely anyone itt likes. I've considered Grandia II as well but I honestly don't like pointless grinding, I like a good challenge but not having to sperg out about a game or force myself to stay interested for 100 hours in order to play it properly. Mostly, I just like games that feel unique and well-crafted.

Anyone?

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 26, 2015