Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

T1g4h posted:

No joke. That thing looked seriously confusing. And yet I can't stop wishing I had one now :allears:

The props run at an RPM set by the throttles. Differential steering was controlled by blade pitch via the pedals. At high enough speed, the rudders have enough airflow to be effective.

The coordination to work all that though is the real challenge. Especially so because making corrections requires the operator to be way ahead of the hover craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I got a good belly laugh out of the inherent ridiculousness of that shot where Hammond comes frantically pedaling out of the woods into the clearing where the palace is and sees the hovercraft heaved up like a beached whale on the front steps.

IDEAL CITY TRANSPORT MODE IDENTIFIED :smuggo:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

holocaust bloopers posted:

If I recall that segment correctly, relative to the other two cars, his was the absolute worst. It was bad even for a supercar.

The other problem is (as best I can confirm from a quick search) the GT only has a 17.5 gallon tank while the F430 and the Zonda both have 25 gallons.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Petekill posted:

Did they say Hammond's bike weighed 860 grams? That seems really light, even for a $15,000 bike.

The frame alone maybe.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah 860g would be just the frame. It's probably around 7kg total.

Clarkson owned one. He had nothing but problems with it, which explains his dismissal of the new one.

To be fair, I think most of the problems were due to the dealer installed aftermarket alarm and he liked the car itself.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 26, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That bike is about 6.5 - 7 kgs. My TdF superbike is a touch over 6.5kg with carbon wheels, Hammond's looks like it has aero alloys which are a tad heavier. One hell of a nice bit of kit still however, Dura Ace Di2 is some amazing groupset

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

jamal posted:

Yeah 860g would be just the frame. It's probably around 7kg total.

To be fair, I think most of the problems were due to the dealer installed aftermarket alarm and he liked the car itself.

The way read it, it was an insurance mandated, dealer installed aftermarket alarm (and he bitched about it a bit in this episode too).

Didn't Jeremy already have his Ford GT when they made that road trip? I could see him being a bit more unforgiving of the poor fuel consumption if he's used to it not being the BBC's money pouring into the tank.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Weird that Hammond was ripping into the Huracan for being boring, then the montage was shown which included clips of him cheering in the Aventador, which he actually called boring, too.

Also, if it contains the VAG's dual-clutch, god help the owners...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Petekill posted:

Loved the Goldeneye soundtrack for St. Petersburg. They got in a couple songs from the Inception soundtrack as well.

Did they say Hammond's bike weighed 860 grams? That seems really light, even for a $15,000 bike.

That's for the frame only. The whole bike weighs closer to 15-16 lbs. still insanely light.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cat Hatter posted:

The way read it, it was an insurance mandated, dealer installed aftermarket alarm (and he bitched about it a bit in this episode too).

Didn't Jeremy already have his Ford GT when they made that road trip? I could see him being a bit more unforgiving of the poor fuel consumption if he's used to it not being the BBC's money pouring into the tank.

As far as I know that france road trip was literally in HIS Ford GT.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The props run at an RPM set by the throttles. Differential steering was controlled by blade pitch via the pedals. At high enough speed, the rudders have enough airflow to be effective.

The coordination to work all that though is the real challenge. Especially so because making corrections requires the operator to be way ahead of the hover craft.

So, how did he have it going backwards in a few shots? That seems like one of those things that shouldn't be possible but he was somehow managing to do pull off these slow 360s while maintaining forward momentum.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

T1g4h posted:

So, how did he have it going backwards in a few shots? That seems like one of those things that shouldn't be possible but he was somehow managing to do pull off these slow 360s while maintaining forward momentum.

Push a shopping trolley down an aisle, it'll do the same.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

T1g4h posted:

Isn't that exactly what momentum is?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Same reason why a car can spin or go backwards without actually being in reverse: momentum.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Same reason why a car can spin or go backwards without actually being in reverse: momentum.

Particularly since the air cushion over water has virtually no friction.

e: I re-watched the Hover Van episode recently and it's definitely one of the funniest build challenges they've had.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 26, 2015

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

C.O.G. (Course Over Ground) and heading are independent of each other, especially in a hovercraft. Since it's non-displacement, it can spin on axis easily while traveling in what ever direction you want it to, it doesn't have the same resistance that a regular v/l has. Think of it like curling. The boats I work on can do the same thing, only slower, since they have Voith Schneider propeller systems at each end, which makes it easy to do that if you've had some practice. Some of the captains used to do this when they had no passengers on board right across the harbour, just for the heck of it. They don't do it anymore.

If you have a DynoPos system you could pre-program the v/l to do pretty much any pattern you want, depending on how good the hull/thruster system is.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

That's for the frame only. The whole bike weighs closer to 15-16 lbs. still insanely light.

Yep, 860 is the frame.

I'd wager the entire [race] bike is right at the UCI race minimum of 6.8 kg (14.99 pounds).

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm finding it weird that they're hating on Lamborghini for the design being too restrained. Excluding the low production models Sesto Elemento and Veneno, the only model in recent history that had real crazy styling was the Murciélago SV.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

neckbeard posted:

I'm finding it weird that they're hating on Lamborghini for the design being too restrained. Excluding the low production models Sesto Elemento and Veneno, the only model in recent history that had real crazy styling was the Murciélago SV.

Its been a common complaint ever since Audi bought them. I don't think they need to rehash that every review though.

Really though Lambo should just put out batshit models and if you want a boring reliable supercar buy the R8

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

neckbeard posted:

It's not new, though. They hated on the Aventador for it's tame design as well. As in, not outlandish enough. I seem to recall an episode were either Clarkson or Hammond said that a Lambo is only a Lambo when it looks as if its designer had two bottles of absinthe, or something along those lines.

And the Huracan really looks over engineered, for lack of a better word.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

hopterque posted:

As far as I know that france road trip was literally in HIS Ford GT.

That's what I was thinking, since it would be a remarkable coincidence to find a second blue with white stripes GT for a road trip.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

That's what I was thinking, since it would be a remarkable coincidence to find a second blue with white stripes GT for a road trip.

IT was it had isle of man plates.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Well, good thing it had a better approach angle than the Zonda or he probably would have never left the parking garage.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

SpannerX posted:

C.O.G. (Course Over Ground) and heading are independent of each other, especially in a hovercraft. Since it's non-displacement, it can spin on axis easily while traveling in what ever direction you want it to, it doesn't have the same resistance that a regular v/l has. Think of it like curling. The boats I work on can do the same thing, only slower, since they have Voith Schneider propeller systems at each end, which makes it easy to do that if you've had some practice. Some of the captains used to do this when they had no passengers on board right across the harbour, just for the heck of it. They don't do it anymore.

If you have a DynoPos system you could pre-program the v/l to do pretty much any pattern you want, depending on how good the hull/thruster system is.

Gotcha. Thanks for the detailed explanation :v:

And yes guys, I got that it involved momentum, but for whatever reason my brain figured that sort of thing shouldn't really be possible, momentum or not, because the hovercraft used a pusher prop configuration and I sorta assumed the twin props would counteract the speed it already had before he started to spin. In other words, i'm bad at physics.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Sensenmann posted:

It's not new, though. They hated on the Aventador for it's tame design as well. As in, not outlandish enough. I seem to recall an episode were either Clarkson or Hammond said that a Lambo is only a Lambo when it looks as if its designer had two bottles of absinthe, or something along those lines.

Series 21 episode 3: "Nobody should be allowed to design a Lamborghini unless they've just consumed two bottles of absinthe."
And it was directly in response to the Huracan's design.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pretty awesome we're getting 10 eps and the Special.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

After the preview of this series they showed in the first episode, i'm already incredibly stoked to see what looked to be an ambulance challenge. Also, I'm pretty sure at one point I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so some sort of SUV challenge to come later maybe? This season is going to be awesome :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Could be worse, Clarkson signs three year deal.

May and Hammond should follow suit.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
That was a pretty satisfying old-school episode, despite the hackneyed audi-lambo talking points. I swore pretty loudly in sympathy with Hammond when he ate it and my toddler started yelling OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo, going to write an angry letter to top so-called gear.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Scrambles posted:

That was a pretty satisfying old-school episode, despite the hackneyed audi-lambo talking points. I swore pretty loudly in sympathy with Hammond when he ate it and my toddler started yelling OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo, going to write an angry letter to top so-called gear.

Yeah that looked pretty drat painful. However I can't believe he thought he could ride over the street car track and not get caught by it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah even as someone who hasn't biked for years, my first instinct would be to hop the front wheel over the gap.

I thought the opening episode was okay, nothing too spectacular, but it was very Top Gear, and to have that back I am glad. Shame that their commentary on the new GT was basically "I didn't like the old one."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

T1g4h posted:

After the preview of this series they showed in the first episode, i'm already incredibly stoked to see what looked to be an ambulance challenge. Also, I'm pretty sure at one point I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so some sort of SUV challenge to come later maybe? This season is going to be awesome :v:

It was a regular Cherokee: (go to image 2 of 10) http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/series-22-top-gear-preview-2015-1-2

quote:

The V stands for value

SUV-type cars are very fashionable these days. They're also rather expensive. A Range Rover Evoque, for example, will easily set you back £30,000, and that's before you go mad with the options. But what if you fancied a trendy sports-utility vehicle for less? A lot, lot less. Armed with just a few hundred pounds, the presenters were each told to buy a serviceable, roadworthy 4x4 and then report to Top Gear's top-secret SUV testing centre...

Looks like Hammond gave it a new paintjob at some point:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I laughed at Clarkson in the heaving SUV yelling "WHAT IN GODS NAME IS HAPPENING". Looking forward to this series.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Series 21 episode 3: "Nobody should be allowed to design a Lamborghini unless they've just consumed two bottles of absinthe."
And it was directly in response to the Huracan's design.

Really? I thought it was earlier. Now I wonder what they said about the Aventador. :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Something something too sterile, lacking typical Lamborghini flamboyance. But it was more about the handling, instead of looks.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

It was a regular Cherokee: (go to image 2 of 10) http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/series-22-top-gear-preview-2015-1-2

Looks like Hammond gave it a new paintjob at some point:

Oh god yes, that's even better :neckbeard:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I can't tell for certain, but it looks like Jeremy has a vauxhall frontera for that challenge, sold in the states as the isuzu amigo. So if I'm lucky, i get to see my first car pitted against my brother's first car.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Those hydrofoils going under bridges :stare:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They're finally doing a Germany/Australia style battle with TGUK and TGUSA? Awesome. I hope they have one of those fadeout gags where James and Rutledge are both monologuing about something simultaneously. I assume they will also pair up Richard ad Tanner, leaving Jeremy and Adam to do something stupid and destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Going back to the Ford GT's fuel mileage, I remember them discussing that it had a range of 75 miles (presumably with a heavy right foot) and that Clarkson lives 76 miles from the studio.