Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Go RV! posted:

My very early opinion on One Zero One is that it's fun, but pretty swingy and luck based. Though, that means you're never really out of it, and getting lucky with when you draw the right thing can bring you back into it. Which is totally fine, as the deck is 16 cards and a game lasts 5-10 minutes.

I've only played about three hands, and it did feel a bit swingy, but I'm willing to put that down to us not really knowing much strategy.

In particular, all three of our games ended after someone played into to row 5, and their opponent was able to use either print or enter to claim the row and finish the game that turn. One particularly devastating moment was when playing enter shrunk row 4 down to two cards, for a 90-point swing.

I think the game would feel less swingy once we've stopped opening ourselves up to quick losses like that, and are instead jockeying for enough of a lead on the top four to be able to actually play on the bottom row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Suburbia should add little global condition tokens that you could place on your borough board. Then, when someone gets a restaurant and needs to see who has a tile with a condition they could just scan each borough card for tokens.

Played it twice yesterday, once with expansion and once without and had a ton of fun but feel like it could benefit if it went a little faster.

I got it over Christmas and I found people are pretty good at keeping track of their own and others, but my group also plays a lot of Resistance so tracking who has/did what has become second nature.

I'm trying to get games into my collection that can be more inclusive for my wife, she's a huge fan of TTR and liked Dominion, but other simple stuff has deterred her (KoNY, and group favourite Space Alert). Can anyone recommend stuff that they've found good to broaden people from TTR?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

I was the only player who had never played it. I hosed up a few times because of my misunderstanding of how the game is played, but i'd feel fairly confident going into it again.

Thanks to everyone offering helps. It's always the juggle of cost vs amount it'll hit the table in conjunction with rules explaining. But I'd love having a more than 2p political game to throw out with certain groups.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Bomb-Bunny posted:

I got it over Christmas and I found people are pretty good at keeping track of their own and others, but my group also plays a lot of Resistance so tracking who has/did what has become second nature.

I'm trying to get games into my collection that can be more inclusive for my wife, she's a huge fan of TTR and liked Dominion, but other simple stuff has deterred her (KoNY, and group favourite Space Alert). Can anyone recommend stuff that they've found good to broaden people from TTR?

Ra, Alhambra, Stone age, splendor, Jaipur, kingsburg, kingdom builder. Grab a few different family friendly euros and expand from there. It's really a matter of discovering what you like about games you like and what you dislike about games you don't.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Played a few games today, Chaos in the Old World for our first time(thanks everyone in here for answering my question earlier), Samurai Spirit, and Race for the Galaxy.

Totally accidentally had a 4-pack of coasters from Target that exactly matched the colors of the players in CitOW. It was perfect.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So I went to Can Con over the weekend. Taught these two strangers Twilight Struggle, then walked into the nearest shop and found the second Galaxy Trucker expansion, which I've been looking for for about two years and sure as hell wasn't in that shop the day before. The world makes sense.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Cancon hit me for $450. Some good clearance deals!

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I know the imps in Dungeon Petz will work good in a pinch as caltrops, but are there any board games with pieces as dangerous as that, or even more dangerous?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You can bludgeon someone to death with Galaxy Trucker: Anniversary Edition. Does that count?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Robust Laser posted:

I know the imps in Dungeon Petz will work good in a pinch as caltrops, but are there any board games with pieces as dangerous as that, or even more dangerous?

You want Kemet, those pyramids are designed to be extra pointy. Plus they've got enough heft to put an eye out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Robust Laser posted:

Don't Pee On The Electric Fence is notoriously dangerous.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The fuel rods in Space Alert can be used to gradually drive someone insane.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I played Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem 3 player at about 2am on Sunday as the neighbours were having some kind of rave and nobody could sleep, and despite a few rules blunders, I totally loved it. Specifically, I immediately found it more enjoyable than my handful of Spartacus plays. For starters, it played a LOT faster, despite everyone being hammered and learning some rules as we went (I know, it was a terrible way to approach a new game but thankfully it worked) and it really seems designed to build on the fun parts of Spartacus (the Market, specifically blind bidding) and cut out the extraneous fat (Gladiator fights dragging out, the clunkiness of the Intrigue phase).

The aim of the game is to end with the most Cash, which you'll gain by Exploiting Sites, selling Contraband on the Black Market (a blind bid after the main phase of every turn) and even dealing with other Gangs. Setup has a decent amount of randomisation - the board is 5 static tiles and 6 random ones (from a pool of 19, iirc) and the Anarchy deck is 15 random cards (from a pool of about 50?). We played Unleaded mode, where all the gangs have the same setup of Members, Cash, Guns etc. The game ends when the Anarchy deck runs out, resulting in a more reliable endpoint than Spartacus.

The game has worker placement mechanics where your number of actions is a base amount + how many Members your club has. Actions can be used for things like moving to a location (Site) on the board, using a location (Exploiting in the game's terminology), bringing in a new Prospect, promoting a Prospect to a Member or just having a big fight with another player (Throw Down). After moving a number of your Dudes (Members and/or Prospects) to a Site play goes around the table again before you can Exploit it and gain the bonus, meaning the limited number of resources are usually hotly contested. Fighting is a combination of numbers, bluffing and luck. You announce you're fighting at a space both you and someone else occupy, and then both players have an opportunity to use some of their remaining actions to pull in other Dudes from across the board. Once that's done you have a blind bid to show how many guns you're bringing, then roll a dice to add to your total stats. Each Prospect is 1, Member is 2 and Gun is 3. Total them and add to your D6 roll, highest score wins.

I vastly prefer the way SoA handles fights to Spartacus - they're much more frequent and range in importance, but they're fast and exciting. On the last turn of the game a card came out that was basically a temporary Site that could be Exploited to gain a massive amount of Cash for an increase in Heat - Heat limits your ability to sell Contraband on the Black Market, and if you go over a certain amount you have to lose a member - making them Take the Fall for your actions. The Grim Bastards player had for the last couple of turns been moving his entire Gang in a huge blob from Site to Site, and he was currently sat on the card. I moved to it and he had no realistic choice but to Throw Down, what followed was an enormous gun fight involving 12 Members, 4 Prospects and 9 Guns. Every Gun involved in a Throw Down sends a Member to ER where they either live or die on a dice roll at the end of the turn, as in Spartacus. I won the fight and Exploited the Site, gaining a massive increase in Cash but just enough Heat to mean I had to lose a Member. Good news? You can let some poor guy who just got shot in the face Take the Fall! RIP random dude, hope you don't die in police custody. Later we rolled to see who died and every single Member succumbed to their wounds. Oops.

I still lost the game by 1 Cash. Turns out the single Gun I bought in a dodgy deal from the third player let me win the final fight, but lose on Cash overall! Little things like that really made the game for me.

Probably butchered the explanation of how the game works, something compounded by our early mistakes, but it was a total blast and I can't wait to try it out again. Not sure how well it will work with more players once the expansions are out, but as is I loved it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Played my first games of Rise to Power today, seems pretty good. Its a tableau/set collection game somewhere between Splendor and Race for the Galaxy in depth. You can generally build either outwards or upwards and the game will end very quickly if someone wants to force the tempo. Its also possible to steal from opponents boards to some extent, which works fine in 1v1 but I'm not sure how it'll play out with more.

I also played two more games of Caverna and can safely say I don't really enjoy it. There's a strategic engine building game fighting a worker placement game in there for importance and they're both suffocated by mounds of bullshit. It doesn't help that adventures with 4 choices and the super-flexible rubies send my friend's AP in to overdrive.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 26, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Robust Laser posted:

I think we all know the answer to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ebunID0KI

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Krazyface posted:

The fuel rods in Space Alert can be used to gradually drive someone insane.

If you have the second edition plastic ones, definitely. That poo poo is practically designed to roll onto the ground after the table is given an accidental nudge.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I'm relatively new to board gaming and am quickly discovering that many games are just a turgid mess. Played Settlers of Catan for the first time tonight. Despite having a relatively decent starting position, the luck of the die pretty much just squashed any chance I had of competing, let alone winning. I only had two moments of any satisfaction - using a Monopoly card to steal 16 timber cards from other players; and getting the opportunity to play kingmaker between two players who were sitting on 9 points.

Worst 3 hours of board gaming so far.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Welcome to the Catan Sucks crew :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bubble-T posted:

Welcome to the Catan Sucks crew :getin:

Catan doesn't suck so much as it's 20 years old and has been surpassed by many other games.

Archipelago is Catan For Men.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Heavily edited conversation from 5 minutes ago.

:v: "Hey, FS, thanks for bringing that weird game the other day. Whatisface, the one where you buy cards from the middle and put them into your deck. The villages one."

:) "Dominion"

:v: "Whatever. It was fun! We decided to try something else, went to a shop and asked around. The guy in the counter was pretty helpful, too!"

:) "Well, you could have asked me and would have given you a shortlist, but anyway... Did you get Dominion, or something else?"

:v: "Nah, we wanted something more interactive, and funnier and where you can be a jerk to the other players, and you know we have some friends that are into D&D and..."

:gonk: "Oh, God..."

:v: "The guy on the store says that it's a best seller, so it must be good. There are tons of expansions, too"

:gonk: "You bought Munchkin, didn't you?"

:v: "Yeah, why?"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
"The villages one."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

elgarbo posted:

I'm relatively new to board gaming and am quickly discovering that many games are just a turgid mess. Played Settlers of Catan for the first time tonight. Despite having a relatively decent starting position, the luck of the die pretty much just squashed any chance I had of competing, let alone winning. I only had two moments of any satisfaction - using a Monopoly card to steal 16 timber cards from other players; and getting the opportunity to play kingmaker between two players who were sitting on 9 points.

Worst 3 hours of board gaming so far.

The rare points in time I play Catan and if it ever ends up like that I usually just go wild buying development cards. And yeah there's a lot better games out there now, it's not that it's a super terrible game it's just not really all that notable among what's out now as there's so much good poo poo to get.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

"The villages one."

They were so happy drawing their entire deck each turn :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Heavily edited conversation from 5 minutes ago.

Tale of boardgaming horror right there!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When I got started into the hobby, I played Arkham Horror and bought Star Munchkin and the Munchkin Western version. I remember also buying one of the Arkham Horror expansions (Dunwich?) even though I didn't own the base game. I also really liked Fluxx as well. This must have been about 8 years ago. Well that's my story :tipshat:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh also I played Caylus and I thought it was dry, boring and not fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mostly played Cosmic but years before had decided on Advanced Civ as my favoritist game ever, plus played chess all through high school. I really don't know what the gently caress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I started as a minis wargamer so I was pretty much acclimatized to bad rulesets because of that.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Zark the Damned posted:

Tale of boardgaming horror right there!

At the risk of exposing myself as a complete philistine: why is Munchkin looked down upon?

I've only played it a couple of times and seemed pretty fun in a 'dicking about with your friends kind of way'. Also, someone bought me a Fluxx game over Christmas although i'm yet to play it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Some thoughts:

Tekopo posted:

Alright, let's expand on that. Some of the good points about Munchkin is that, within a group that understands the source material, it leads to a good 'in-feeling' because everyone understands the jokes and can revel in them. In a close knit group that is really into a particular theme (Adventure Time, Cthulhu etc) this is great, but it creates problems in more public/open groups, especially ones that don't draw from the main nerd demographic and draws more from a demographic that doesn't immerse itself into the details of nerdy obsessions. This is my situation, actually. It's also what I meant by Munchkin being exclusionary.

Gameplay is shallow, but that sometimes is not a bad thing. In a party situation, you don't want a game that is going to be too difficult to learn/too cerebral to play. But Munchkin hits the stop in which the rules actively detract from the enjoyment: this is mostly due to the end-game unfortunately, which drags indefinitely/until people are out of 'gently caress-you' cards. Also, if the game ONLY works in a party/drunk situations, why is that the case? Why are there games that work perfectly well in both a 'party' atmosphere as well as outside it (Cash 'n' Guns seems to spring to mind mostly). How can it be a strong recommendation if the only enjoyment you can derive from a game is when you need a social lubricant to actually make it work?

Munchkin is also a game that leads to outright un-fun situations if people are getting screwed. Munchkin is a game where doing badly/getting unlucky can directly affect how much influence you have in the game. And telling someone that he is a bad sport because he feels down because the game isn't allowing him to progress is kind of crappy.

I think Munchkin can be a step, but at least to me it can lead to dead-ends in terms of people progressing to better stuff. It might be a step up from the likes of Monopoly, but it is a small step and doesn't stop the thoughts of 'board games are still the random luck-fests that I played when I was young'. With so much out there, why settle for Munchkin when there are much better stepping stones, both in terms of party games and just games in general?

More thoughts.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

When I got started into the hobby, I played Arkham Horror and bought Star Munchkin and the Munchkin Western version. I remember also buying one of the Arkham Horror expansions (Dunwich?) even though I didn't own the base game. I also really liked Fluxx as well. This must have been about 8 years ago. Well that's my story :tipshat:

Now imagine having to play them again, knowing, deep down, that it's your own bloody fault.

I'm exaggerating, obviously, and I'm happy for having convinced other people to try the hobby. Good games can be introduced later, and an hour of barely paying attention to whatever happens in the table while drinking with friends isn't going to kill me.

I hope.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tekopo posted:

All respect, gone.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Now imagine having to play them again, knowing, deep down, that it's your own bloody fault.

I'm exaggerating, obviously, and I'm happy for having convinced other people to try the hobby. Good games can be introduced later, and an hour of barely paying attention to whatever happens in the table while drinking with friends isn't going to kill me.

I hope.

Just play kingmaker. The correct way to play munchkin is to choose a person, and spend all your cards and assistance helping that one person to win. The fewer turns it takes for that person to win, the better you did. It's like playing a traitor game in reverse.

edit-Just remember, the true objective of Munchkin is to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

All respect, gone.
This was my plan all along, I had a shadowy past and was playing the long con. It's too late now.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

This was my plan all along, I had a shadowy past and was playing the long con. It's too late now.

Are you......Rutibex?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tekopo posted:

This feels like an agent provocateur. Try to provoke people into admitting the wrong thing and bam, right into the labor camps.

But then you admitted you were the spy so???

Luckily, I played Resistance once so I know the score.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

This feels like an agent provocateur. Try to provoke people into admitting the wrong thing and bam, right into the labor camps.

But then you admitted you were the spy so???

Luckily, I played Resistance once so I know the score.
:tinfoil:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bubble-T posted:

Played my first games of Rise to Power today, seems pretty good. Its a tableau/set collection game somewhere between Splendor and Race for the Galaxy in depth. You can generally build either outwards or upwards and the game will end very quickly if someone wants to force the tempo. Its also possible to steal from opponents boards to some extent, which works fine in 1v1 but I'm not sure how it'll play out with more.

Reading over the rules I'm deeply worried - how much does stealing another player's contract need to be in there? It just really seems like a game where they tacked on attacks because they couldn't work out how to have enough player interaction and/or be seperate enough from Alhambra.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wazzu posted:

Reading over the rules I'm deeply worried - how much does stealing another player's contract need to be in there? It just really seems like a game where they tacked on attacks because they couldn't work out how to have enough player interaction and/or be seperate enough from Alhambra.

It's actually a bluffing mechanic and absolutely essential to the game. Did your opponent not power that contract because he got unlucky with his Prism draws? Or did he not power it to sucker someone into an attempted steal, so he could power it on their turn without using one of his own actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

Pretty much the same. I got roped into the hobby by Arkham and Munchkin, and I own a copy of each to this day, because I never throw or trade anything away. I don't regret buying AH, because for all its flaws it's really given me a lot of fun time with friends. I even still drag it out to the table with some of them, even if more and more ironically these days.

I do regret buying Munchkin.

I also regret that both are in better shape than my ten or so years old copy of Neuroshima Hex, which I bought even before those two, but it doesn't count because I bought it for the Neuroshima label.