Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Acrophyte posted:

You've never met a woman from MN or WI I take it?

Yeah, they talk like the mom from Bobby's World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's what I'm saying. For all her folksy bullshit, she has no idea what livestock weighs. Quick Sarah, what's bigger a cow or an elephant? I think the real tell is she cannot control the volume of her voice. It's not even for emphasis, she has no control of the volume or cadence of her speech and she speaks in public for a living.

Pretty sure she was actually just combining the expressions "800-pound gorilla" and "elephant in the room" there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Nice, loving the discussion about the various hosed up drugs the lady who disagrees with me is on
I too visit somethingawful.com and do not expect to find people making fun of things.

I also never click on the smilies button an count up the number of actual human tragedies which are pixel-art illustrated therein.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

De Nomolos posted:

Palin-Bobby Jindal 2016, but Bobby has to come riding onstage for all events on a tricycle with that crazy circus music theme playing.

lmao

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Nice, loving the discussion about the various hosed up drugs the lady who disagrees with me is on

SedanChair posted:

Have you watched the video? We're not saying this about Ben Carson or Joni Ernst. Palin is on drugs. Now take the stick out of your rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzD-zqWwWc
Yeah, I thought some of the "she's on drugs" stuff was exaggerated/bullshit until I actually watched the video. Goddamn, Palin was definitely on something while she was speaking. forbidden lesbian described it pretty well:

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yo, actually listen to the speech, she's slurring her words a lot and kinda has the verbal tic I can't quite describe. its kinda like she talks really fast and then suddenly talks slow and then back to fast.
Our potential 2008 Vice President everybody!:stare::hf::suicide:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5 posted:

Our actual 1960 President got daily injections of an experimental drug cocktail administered by a quack they called Dr. Feelgood who later lost his license.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Our actual 1960 President got daily injections of an experimental drug cocktail administered by a quack they called Dr. Feelgood who later lost his license.

Hey back then Americans didn't gently caress around with tweaking. They did it with a doctor's supervision.

e: In fairness I think JFK could have given a completely coherent speech on any dose of painkillers and stimulants imaginable.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

I never cared enough to think deeper into the Motley Crue album, thanks Joe.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Des Moines Register headline.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
That's a hard-hitting expose, I'm sure.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

fade5 posted:

If John McCain dies before Jan 2017 I will walk around like :stonklol: the rest of the day. I wish the man a long life but Jesus talk about dodging a bullet.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Have you seen how much the job has aged Obama? No way McCain is still breathing today if he won in 2008.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah if McCain was president I couldn't see the party wanting him for a second term due to health issues or dropping dead his first term, much less the second. Same with Bernie as much as I'd like to see him run. If only he was about twenty years younger.

Also impressed how many people think Palin is serious about running instead of the usual 'well I dunno if I have the backing and the firepower for it' with her hands outstretched for donations. Why bother actually running or doing anything besides give bizarre speeches that hit the right notes and get you paid? It's a good racket.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Lets not beat around the bush here, if McCain won in 08 it wouldn't have mattered what his health was like because there's no way he'd have won in 12. But then there was no way he was going to win 2008 either so...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

But by that time Sarah Pailin would have had four years 'learning foreign policy at the foot of the master', which was a real narrative in 08, so of course the world would be in a New American Century in 2012 and people would be clamoring to re-elect both the master and the padawan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

shadow puppet of a posted:

But by that time Sarah Pailin would have had four years 'learning foreign policy at the foot of the master', which was a real narrative in 08, so of course the world would be in a New American Century in 2012 and people would be clamoring to re-elect both the master and the padawan.
You just got me picturing what kind of inane poo poo VeePalin would have gotten into. And what a complete and loving disgrace her white trash husband would have been in DC.

$5 on a constitutional crisis because Palin engineers a vote of no confidence against McCain.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

FilthyImp posted:

You just got me picturing what kind of inane poo poo VeePalin would have gotten into. And what a complete and loving disgrace her white trash husband would have been in DC.

$5 on a constitutional crisis because Palin engineers a vote of no confidence against McCain.
$50 on a whole lot of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SBPEHHCvSI

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kevyn posted:

Have you seen how much the job has aged Obama? No way McCain is still breathing today if he won in 2008.
Counterpoint: Black don't crack.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

In fairness, that was because Kennedy suffered from severe back pain and Dr Feelgood's cocktail worked for him.

(Probably because it had meth and painkillers in it.)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

NPR suggests Rubio might run simply to set himself up for 2020.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/01/23/379392873/why-would-marco-rubio-run-for-president-why-wouldnt-he

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Missed this Huckabee jewel

"Not to diminish anything about the climate at all,” Huckabee said, “but Mr. President, I believe that most of us would think that a beheading is a far greater threat to an American than a sunburn.”

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"Not to diminish anything about the climate at all,” Huckabee said, “but Mr. President, I believe that most of us would think that a beheading is a far greater threat to an American than a sunburn.”

Ah, the good old shark attack fallacy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This is a really weird map.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

This is a really weird map.

Yeah, it really is. You've got demographics/ethnic background competing with climate competing with access to medical care and the net result is no obvious trend.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's per 100,000 people, so it's going to be skewed to show outsized emphasis in small population states. That's like 100 people in the entire state of Vermont, for example, which just means there are at least 100 people in the state who vacation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Joementum posted:

It's per 100,000 people, so it's going to be skewed to show outsized emphasis in small population states. That's like 100 people in the entire state of Vermont, for example, which just means there are at least 100 people in the state who vacation.

Also Vermont is whiter than <insert other state>.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Well, where's the beheadings per 100,000 people map mr scientist?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

The 2020 election terrifies me due to its potential consequences for state-wide elections and the construction of apportionment boards. Based on current predictions of 2016, it seems like Republicans would have better built-in narratives in 2020 with 12 years of Democrats in the White House and an even older Hillary Clinton as the incumbent. Running as a Republican 'centrist' now with the intention of shifting the party ever so slightly away from the crazies and setting up a strong campaign in 2020 seems like a smart idea for some of the younger ambitious candidates.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 26, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

shadow puppet of a posted:

But the "Master" is well known to have a bloodthirsty neo-con streak and make really stupid comments about foreign policy. And he wanted to get us into one more war with Iran, which would have been even more of a clusterfuck than Iraq as Iran actually has somewhat competant people in power. The Master is basically a 5 year old screaming a lot until he gets candy from the Kindergarten teacher.

So of course they would choose Sarah Palin in 2012 in McCain world. :smithicide:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
And yet Palin was almost a heart-attack away from being POTUS. How the gently caress would that have even worked?

"Uh Mrs. President, we need your input on how to handle the Ukraine incident."

*rambling gibberish*

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Politico has a Clinton article up: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/hillary-clinton-2016-elections-114586.html

quote:

The potential opposition is so weak that Clinton might wind up not even debating during the primaries, which many Democrats view as a mixed blessing.

The Clinton team knows it can’t campaign with the swagger of presumed nominee, because the air of inevitability was so damaging last time around. That said, some advisers are already privately talking up potential running mates, with Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado and Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia dominating the early speculation.

Some advisers expect a push for diversity on the ticket. So the short list also is expected to include HUD Secretary Julián Castro, Labor Secretary Tom Perez, Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey, and perhaps California Attorney General Kamala Harris, who is running for U.S. Senate.
Perez is out of nowhere for VP speculation, and I'm guessing this is the last we'll hear of that.

Why hasn't Gary Locke been mentioned at all for VP?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There would be an eerie baker's dozen of months worth of peace when the realization set in that a full out, boots on the ground, door-kicking full invasion would perpetually be in the top two options used to solve any problem large enough to make it to the president's desk.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I would be much more sympathetic to the beheading argument if we were not factually torturing our inmates to death with experimental drug cocktails over extended periods of time.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Doctor Candiru posted:

If you're doing pure cynical 'lets go after demographics' math, there's more black and latin voters to potentially win over than asian voters

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

A quick glance at Wiki informs me that in 2014 two Americans were beheaded by ISIS.

Staggering numbers, I'm terrified by this massive threat to American lives.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

And yet Palin was almost a heart-attack away from being POTUS. How the gently caress would that have even worked?

"Uh Mrs. President, we need your input on how to handle the Ukraine incident."

*rambling gibberish*

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."
I'm glad it didn't happen, but I would like to visit the alternate reality where it did.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Doctor Candiru posted:

Politico has a Clinton article up: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/hillary-clinton-2016-elections-114586.html

Perez is out of nowhere for VP speculation, and I'm guessing this is the last we'll hear of that.

Yeah, it's kind of clear that that was someone getting asked about VPs, saying something about diversity, and then clumsily listing national-level Hispanic Democrats.

That the group consensus seems to be "swing state white dude" is unsurprising.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm glad it didn't happen, but I would like to visit the alternate reality where it did.

It wouldn't be worth the risk. What if you got stuck there?

Think about it. The window for visiting a Palin Presidency world and getting out again safely might be fairly short. I'm thinking in terms of half-lives here -- statistically, how long in office could we expect Palin to last before loving things up so irretrievably as to endanger our theoretical interdimensional traveler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its been said that the first trillionaire will be the person that cheaply produces left-handed sugar. I have no doubt the first zillionaire will be the person that lets you watch multiverse outcomes like cable tv channels.

I would watch the poo poo out of Palin's America. And Steve Forbes America. And the Unineted States of Herman Cain's America.

edit: Perot America would be like HBO and cost extra.

• Locked thread