Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Skeezy posted:

You might be waiting forever because the dude who makes Xposed is still complaining about ART and as far as I know hasn't done much about it.
Well he's still working on it as of 10 days ago at least. This GitHub issue thread is the best place to check for updates it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DangerZoneDelux posted:

For some reason on my Nexus 6 I constantly hit the volume buttons. Pretty annoying to have it go from vibration mode to ear piercing levels without knowing I did that fishing the phone out of my pocket

Diztronic's case solved that for me. It is one of the few things I'd improve with the N6 - buttons higher up and on opposite sides seems like a superior configuration.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lblitzer posted:

It may be a long time if ever. Whoever develops Xposed said it operates completely differently from Dalvik
In Dalvik, it could mess around with the bytecode and force the JIT to recompile the functions. With ART, the apps are compiled during installation.

I suppose you could go the *nix way, as is used on the iPhone with apps like Winterboard, to preload ELF libraries to override functions, but that entirely depends on whether the ART compiler generates cleartext symbols.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Diztronic's case solved that for me. It is one of the few things I'd improve with the N6 - buttons higher up and on opposite sides seems like a superior configuration.

Using that exact case. But yeah I agree if the buttons were on the opposite side it would totally solve the issue

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Just a personal opinion. Not interested in a holy war.

I prefer the Note 4. (OMGGGGG WTF HOLY poo poo SARNSUNG!!1)

Huge phone with usability. Works for me. That and Lollipop is apparently trash.

Did you dump the N6 yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shannow posted:

Holding off on updating till Xposed works on ART, I have too many rooted bells and whistles I'd miss, the notification popping up constantly is pissing me off though.
So, never.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

LastInLine posted:

So, never.

Well, experience with 5 on my N10 is kinda underwhelming overall, my overview button keeps deciding to stop working and I hear tales of wifi and cellular data breaking on the N5 even with the%5.0.2 update so I've no real incentive to leave 4.4.4 even if i didn't have all my rooted things that I don't want to be without anyway.

But as to the original question I asked regarding turning off the update nag, I found a thing to do it within gravitybox that I'd missed before.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Smart lock now actually works with my house set via gps. I'm not sure if it's the 5.0.1 update that fixed it or they did a play services update or what, but it definitely wasn't working before and now does. So I think that was my only lollipop complaint and now it's fixed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Weird, I set it up with GPS again and it works now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Did you dump the N6 yet?

Sent it back to Motorola a while ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

Smart lock now actually works with my house set via gps. I'm not sure if it's the 5.0.1 update that fixed it or they did a play services update or what, but it definitely wasn't working before and now does. So I think that was my only lollipop complaint and now it's fixed.

Cojawfee posted:

Weird, I set it up with GPS again and it works now.
Mine worked for a while, then didn't for a week, and then started working again in the last couple days. I don't know what's up.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mine worked perfectly from launch, and only broke very recently when maps started showing my house number off by about 50 yards

I'm going off a gps location now and reported the suggested location correction to Google

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a nexus 5 running 5.0.1 and I'm having trouble getting a second Google account added. The second account is a .edu that goes to the schools website to login using a student id number instead of email@school.edu on gmail's website. The email does login, but through Google play services instead of the mail app.

Any way to get that account to sync on the phone or its it a limitation of the way the email is set up?
I had the email working with IMAP for awhile but today it stopped syncing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like the Nexus 6 was supposed to have a fingerprint scanner in the Moto dimple. Motorola was intending a sensor from AuthenTec to be in there. Only problem is AuthenTec got bought out by apple which meant they couldn't use that sensor anymore. Moto wasn't happy with any other of the choices for fingerprint sensors, so they scrapped it.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/26/motorola-nexus-6-fingerprint-sensor/

AuthenTec was the supplier of the sensor for the Atrix which I know many people found useful.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Moto wasn't happy with any other of the choices for fingerprint sensors, so they scrapped it.

This is what apple and moto get right, and what everyone else gets so, so wrong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Am I dumb, or is there not a way to make the home screen rotate on my phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Use a different launcher

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

What terrible default launcher allows rotation? Name and shame!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LastInLine posted:

What terrible default launcher allows rotation? Name and shame!

I'm using the stock launcher, lol.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

teagone posted:

Phones don't let you do that on stock, it's a design choice.

Although now phones are basically hitting tablet size, maybe it's only a matter of time!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Google's launcher doesn't do that so it's not the AOSP or Google Now Launcher.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Welp. I don't really want to have to install a launcher just to get my home screen to rotate. I'll deal. At least my Moto G finally has 5.0.2 :neckbeard:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Google's launcher doesn't do that so it's not the AOSP or Google Now Launcher.

He said he can't get the home screen to rotate.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

teagone posted:

Welp. I don't really want to have to install a launcher just to get my home screen to rotate. I'll deal. At least my Moto G finally has 5.0.2 :neckbeard:

What's wrong with just using Nova? It's simple to do and looks pretty close to stock.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

teagone posted:

It's pretty trivial to install Nova or Apex or something that looks very similar to stock but has more options. I just use stock, but it isn't hard at all to switch.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

What's wrong with just using Nova? It's simple to do and looks pretty close to stock.

It can look exactly (and work) like stock with the bonus of letting you tweak about everything and be actually good.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Guillermus posted:

It can look exactly (and work) like stock with the bonus of letting you tweak about everything and be actually good.

Yea, I was pretty much an avowed stock launcher person with my N7 and Moto G until I ended up trying Nova. It's everything that's good about the stock launcher with a little bit extra. I'd encourage anyone to try it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Doesn't have Google Now integrated, so if you're attached to that it's a downgrade. But otherwise, yes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875284/cyanogen-ceo-says-he-wants-to-take-android-away-from-google.html

Cyanogen CEO says he wants to ‘take Android away from Google’. I guess they want to have their own app store and everything? I dunno if it'll work but lol

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skeezy posted:

I dunno if it'll work

I do know.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I understand wanting the open nature of Android to be at the forefront. But at this point I've resigned myself (like most people) to giving up access to Google for better usability. I however don't want to give that level of access to every random app, or having to review permissions/reviews to make sure that it's not doing anything wonky with the deep access they want all apps to have. I wouldn't have even bothered rooting my Nexus 6 if not for AdAway, just doesn't offer anything compelling anymore as most people around here have figured too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I fully encourage Cyanogen to go down this path with all of their resources. ALL. Full in, go for broke.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tunga posted:

Doesn't have Google Now integrated, so if you're attached to that it's a downgrade. But otherwise, yes.

Which I honestly found awesome. I use now so much I couldn't go back to not having it there now

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

At the other hand, is fully compatible with the Ok Google voice activation and you can use it with the honeycomb search bar because :getin:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I have an iPhone 4s and I want to switch over to an Android phone, and I narrowed my choices to:

- Moto X 2014

- Galaxy S5

Here's what I know about these phones:

• The Moto X has a bunch of voice gestures and a cool flick wrist twice to access the camera.
  • The Galaxy S5 is waterproof, while I don't think I'll be going out of my way to use, it's a nice feature.
  • The Galaxy S5 appears to have a slightly better camera.
  • The Galaxy S5 has a removable battery and microSD card storage but this is not a make-or-break thing please don't start a fistfight over it.
  • The Moto X has a 2300 mAh battery compared to the S5's 2800 mAh.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the Moto X, I like the voice and gesture stuff and I can make do with the wealer camera and lower battery (my college campus has wall sockets I can just plug a charger in). If you can persuade me to pick an S5 that's cool. Again, I'm coming from an iPhone 4s so any of these two phones will be an upgrade.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I have an iPhone 4s and I want to switch over to an Android phone, and I narrowed my choices to:

- Moto X 2014

- Galaxy S5
You maybe didn't know this coming from the iPhone world but what you really needed to mention / start a fistfight over is whether you want a "stock" experience or a "Samsung" experience. Goons (myself included) generally prefer the "stock" experience and therefore would pick the Moto X (2014) from those two choices.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

lower battery (my college campus has wall sockets I can just plug a charger in).

Another point in the Moto X's favor is you can get the turbo charger for it. So if you're getting low, just plug into the wall for 15-20 minutes for a hefty recharge.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

He said he can't get the home screen to rotate.
Sorry read that as "is there a way NOT to make the home screen rotate".

Yeah, Nova's the answer.

Skeezy posted:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875284/cyanogen-ceo-says-he-wants-to-take-android-away-from-google.html

Cyanogen CEO says he wants to ‘take Android away from Google’. I guess they want to have their own app store and everything? I dunno if it'll work but lol
Yes, if only using a telephone were as nice as installing and running Linux.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rastor posted:

You maybe didn't know this coming from the iPhone world but what you really needed to mention / start a fistfight over is whether you want a "stock" experience or a "Samsung" experience. Goons (myself included) generally prefer the "stock" experience and therefore would pick the Moto X (2014) from those two choices.

The arguments for the S5 also displace it in favor of a Note 4 (definitely on camera, and even/especially on a Quality/Tolerability of TouchWiz metric), because goons generally don't believe in half-assing things.

If you can't do a Note 4 (size/price/whatever), and you consider yourself a rigorous person, the Moto X quickly becomes a prohibitive favorite, if not the only real option.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Sorry read that as "is there a way NOT to make the home screen rotate".

Yeah, Nova's the answer.
Yes, if only using a telephone were as nice as installing and running Linux.

I wish they'd let me set my own repos and allow me to compile all my apps from source.