Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
what i see is a convergence of federal road standards and self driving cars moving towards each other. once cars with certain drive-assist features pass a certain critical-mass threshold the feds will probably begin laying down 'compliant' highway standards and such that will help cars even more. so certain highways and major roads become ones where you're allowed to take a snooze on and it expands from there. i doubt that will ever reach 100% coverage or even past anything but major interstates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Necc0 posted:

what i see is a convergence of federal road standards and self driving cars moving towards each other. once cars with certain drive-assist features pass a certain critical-mass threshold the feds will probably begin laying down 'compliant' highway standards and such that will help cars even more. so certain highways and major roads become ones where you're allowed to take a snooze on and it expands from there. i doubt that will ever reach 100% coverage or even past anything but major interstates

lol talking about a future where the fed isn't paralyzed on anything but how to force the poor into eternal indentured servitude to the plutocracy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Condiv posted:

lol talking about a future where the fed isn't paralyzed on anything but how to force the poor into eternal indentured servitude to the plutocracy

yeah most dmvs still don't offer driving tests outside of normal work hours, lol if they actually move forward on anything

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

standards will be set but implemented in a patchwork as nimbys and speed trapping municipalities combine their efforts to block the required construction on "safety" grounds.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Condiv posted:

there's a lot of money in automating truck fleets. it'll happen

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
even cars there'llbe plenty of money in that. i imagine that roads rich people drive on will get special lanes first so our wealthy elite don't have to sit in traffic like the poors. will they be privately run toll lanes? you bet your rear end they will be.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

it seems like a billion times easier to build a better transportation system that can move large amounts of people from their pre-determined locations (their neighborhoods) to a centralized city location (their place of work) than it would be to develop and build millions of automated vehicles to replace each individual's driving experience

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Necc0 posted:

The fed still mandates that cars have emergency brakes. Hydraulic brakes have been around since the 1920s, and are obviously a lot simpler than a complex network of sensors and programming required to automatically pilot a car. But they still fail sometimes, so backups are required to exist.

Humans will never be able to (legally) snooze while piloting a car, they will never be able to (legally) drive drunk. Humans have to be the backup.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol tweetbot hit the Twitter api limit and isn't allowing new accounts

wonder how long before Twitter decides to take aim at commercial clients like hootsuite.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

it seems like a billion times easier to build a better transportation system that can move large amounts of people from their pre-determined locations (their neighborhoods) to a centralized city location (their place of work) than it would be to develop and build millions of automated vehicles to replace each individual's driving experience

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

if buses and trains were big enough, with roomy seats and sufficient space around them, would you then like public transportation?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

lol tweetbot hit the Twitter api limit and isn't allowing new accounts

wonder how long before Twitter decides to take aim at commercial clients like hootsuite.

on the bright side that means they sold 100 000 copies of their 20$ twitter client i'm happy for them :unsmith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

if buses and trains were big enough, with roomy seats and sufficient space around them, would you then like public transportation?

if they went to everywhere I wanted to go, when I wanted to go there, and without going anywhere else, then sure.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

on the bright side that means they sold 100 000 copies of their 20$ twitter client i'm happy for them :unsmith:

well judging from the online bitching it seems like the major draw was keeping track of multiple accounts. some people complaining about not having an easy way to use their 20 accounts when the tweetbot client gets broken for whatever reason in the future.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bassguitarhero posted:

it'd probably be even easier to acknowledge that most of those jobs are bullshit and don't need to be commuted to to begin with

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shaggar posted:

if they went to everywhere I wanted to go, when I wanted to go there, and without going anywhere else, then sure.

♪ They should make a tube that sends you right to work. That would save a lot of gas. But I guess there would be a lot of tubes. ♪

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pneumatic tube transport would rule

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fully automated cars present a serious issue, which goes all the way back to the brain in a jar problem: we can program them to kill as few people as possible but some people will still die and when they do we like there to be a person to blame, even if they don't actually get in trouble for it - a human who kills people accidentally has the excuse that they're human but a computer doesn't

basically we prefer a human that causes harm consistently to an algorithm that does it occasionally, we'll need a legally mandated threshold of fallibility for this to work otherwise every car company will just get sued out of existence

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
shaggar you understand that when youre an old grouchy man in 20 years that youre gonna pay more in a month for gas to drive to work every day than you do for your house/apartment right and that nothing can ever change this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes yes every year is the year we'll run out of energy and society will collapse. eventually there will be Linux on the desktop as well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

yes yes every year is the year we'll run out of energy and society will collapse. eventually there will be Linux on the desktop as well

"gently caress the cpu's pegged" - a nerd as his gentoo box accidentally burns the last piece of coal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it'd probably be even easier to acknowledge that most of those jobs are bullshit and don't need to be commuted to to begin with

if you can do your job effectively by telecommuting, your pay and job prospects are only going downhill

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the most ridiculous part of that fantasy is uber actually making a capital expenditure that opens them up to liability. as if they wouldn't 1099 'drone car operators' to take the fall

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

I have an idea for a vehicle you don't have to drive and can transport you long distances inexpensively

does it use the blockchain? this is important

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

fully automated cars present a serious issue, which goes all the way back to the brain in a jar problem: we can program them to kill as few people as possible but some people will still die and when they do we like there to be a person to blame, even if they don't actually get in trouble for it - a human who kills people accidentally has the excuse that they're human but a computer doesn't

basically we prefer a human that causes harm consistently to an algorithm that does it occasionally, we'll need a legally mandated threshold of fallibility for this to work otherwise every car company will just get sued out of existence

there's also the liability issue. if human-driven cars get into a crash it can almost always be blamed on one of the specific humans involved, or on other factors like weather. if two self-driving cars crash, the blame always goes to the car company

also there's the fact that we know pretty much exactly how humans react to things, how they perceive things while driving, how things affect their attention, and so on. transportation departments already know what human reactions can be taken for granted, as well as most of the ways in which the human mind can misread things or trick itself into thinking the wrong thing. we've been testing human drivers for over a hundred years. self-driving cars invalidate a lot of those principles and assumptions, and at the same time, lol if you think the tech companies are going to qa self-driving cars anywhere near rigorously enough. does google even have a qa department? they just let the public test everything for them

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

JawnV6 posted:

the most ridiculous part of that fantasy is uber actually making a capital expenditure that opens them up to liability. as if they wouldn't 1099 'drone car operators' to take the fall

they'll go a la gibson and subcontract 'driverless' trucks to plebs driving them as remote control video games. Conveniently giving us someone unimportant to blame and lock up when something inevitably goes wrong.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vodkat posted:

they'll go a la gibson and subcontract 'driverless' trucks to plebs driving them as remote control video games. Covenantally giving us someone unimportant to blame and lock up when something inevitably goes wrong.

OOOOOOOh this is a good idea

2023 Uber: you sit in a windowless room and drive a robot car

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

well judging from the online bitching it seems like the major draw was keeping track of multiple accounts. some people complaining about not having an easy way to use their 20 accounts when the tweetbot client gets broken for whatever reason in the future.

lmao how many loving twitter accounts do people need

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

they'll go a la gibson and subcontract 'driverless' trucks to plebs driving them as remote control video games. Conveniently giving us someone unimportant to blame and lock up when something inevitably goes wrong.

euro trucker 2038 looking good

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

how many years is it going to take to program autonomous cars to think ... "huh, that driver looks like kind of an rear end in a top hat, I bet he's going to do the dickiest thing possible as soon as the opportunity arises".
they can probably recognize german car logos without too much trouble

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i think the utopian endgame that sv idealists envision for uber is that every self-driving car owner will lend their car to the uber network whenever they're not using it

just imagine - after driving to work in the morning, you open up your car's integrated uber app and while you walk by the ball pit on your way into the hip open plan office, your car drives off all on its own to start accepting and carrying out uber trips automatically, allowing you to supplement your high-rollin programmer income with literally tens of dollars per hour while you work your fourteen-hour shift at the office crafting rockstar world-shattering mobile fart apps. when you're almost done with work, you press a button on your phone and your car finishes their current uber fare and then automatically returns to the office and parks itself to wait for you. after the car drives you home while you nap in the driver's seat, you send it off to carry more uber fares in the night, setting it to return automatically in the morning just in time to take you to work the next day, warming your morning with the fragrant aromas of vomit and spilled beer

truly, a futuristic paradise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you can do your job effectively by telecommuting, your pay and job prospects are only going downhill

you got the wrong takeaway there, chief

it's not "we shouldn't waste our time traveling to those jobs", it's "we shouldn't waste our time doing those jobs at all"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Chris Knight posted:

lmao how many loving twitter accounts do people need

zero

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The Leck posted:

they can probably recognize german car logos without too much trouble

lol

german car logos for assholes and jesus fish/yellow ribbons for idiots, this system has never failed me

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

lol

german car logos for assholes and jesus fish/yellow ribbons for idiots, this system has never failed me

add illinois license plate and they're the biggest idiot on the road

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

must be a regional thing. the biggest assholes here drive luxury SUVs.

Main Paineframe posted:

i think the utopian endgame that sv idealists envision for uber is that every self-driving car owner will lend their car to the uber network whenever they're not using it

just imagine - after driving to work in the morning, you open up your car's integrated uber app and while you walk by the ball pit on your way into the hip open plan office, your car drives off all on its own to start accepting and carrying out uber trips automatically, allowing you to supplement your high-rollin programmer income with literally tens of dollars per hour while you work your fourteen-hour shift at the office crafting rockstar world-shattering mobile fart apps. when you're almost done with work, you press a button on your phone and your car finishes their current uber fare and then automatically returns to the office and parks itself to wait for you. after the car drives you home while you nap in the driver's seat, you send it off to carry more uber fares in the night, setting it to return automatically in the morning just in time to take you to work the next day, warming your morning with the fragrant aromas of vomit and spilled beer

truly, a futuristic paradise

but would you be able to tell your car not to go to "undesirable" parts of town?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

pneumatic tube transport would rule

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

must be a regional thing. the biggest assholes here drive luxury SUVs.

oh yeah they're a combination of dumbass and rear end in a top hat. a "dumb rear end in a top hat," if you will

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm the 2WD crew cab Ford F-250 being driven by an accountant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm the 2WD crew cab Ford F-250 being driven by an accountant.

i'm the meticulously cleaned pickup being driven by anyone commuting to an office

• Locked thread